Jun 13 - Bad News for Those With the 'Blackest' Names

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
148 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
50 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
187 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM         #161
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DominicanLou said:
I'm with you...

but my issue is that there is no such thing as a "black name". How can a black american have a black name when their African identity was stripped?

It's crazy. I used to think Anisha was a "black name" until I met an Indian named one. Turns out that's a popular Indian name.

Still, when I hear Dominique I think "a black person". But, that's French.

Even Leroy comes from Le roi (the king in French).

Dante? Italian

Once the name is popular amongst the black community it suddenly becomes a "black name" and inferior. Let's marinate on that.
You're spot on. If you go to Australia or Germany nobody thinks "Dominique" is a black name, or a ghetto name, they'll just probably a.ssume you're French.

Jamal is probably the best example, that has its roots in Arabic.

Amongst white people and "white names" you might also notice that, and this is speaking for Britain only, the names regarded as "lowclass" are primarily Irish. Conor, Aiden, Braden, Craig, Kane, Keiran, Declan, Owen, Lee, Noel, Mackenzie(which isn't Irish, but still gaelic) etc. Though that's becoming less the case now and they're seen as pretty normal, but historically those were terrible names on the basis they were Gaelic, and we know the Irish are the scum of the earth, right?

I am not sure but you may be able to find similar trends for what are considered "hick" names, names are generally perceived as bad because of the group they're seen to belong to.
 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM         #162
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ItAlY2BkLyN said:
I agree. But I think they're ridiculous names in every race though. Like Buzz. WTF is Buzz? When I hear Jethro I think back woods west virginia. I had a friend whose legal name was Nacho. I'm like

Regardless of where the name came from, people are always going to make an immediate judgement for better or worse.
That's the perception of it. Where as funnily enough the name Jethro takes on a bit of a reverse in several other countries. You'd probably have a a good chance of getting a job if you're Jethro, it's pretty Jewish here and middle class.
 5 years ago '04        #163
ItAlY2BkLyN 238 heat pts238
space
space
$22,132 | Props total: 9434 9434
 ROFLSTOMP said:
That's the perception of it. Where as funnily enough the name Jethro takes on a bit of a reverse in several other countries. You'd probably have a a good chance of getting a job if you're Jethro, it's pretty Jewish here and middle class.
yea your location probably has a lot more to do with it than we think. Like a name in Los Angeles might have a better chance at getting a callback than that same name in Kansas. The south vs the north, in the US or outside the US.
 5 years ago '06        #164
johnny 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,098 | Props total: 216 216
 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM         #165
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ItAlY2BkLyN said:
yea your location probably has a lot more to do with it than we think. Like a name in Los Angeles might have a better chance at getting a callback than that same name in Kansas. The south vs the north, in the US or outside the US.
Yeah exactly, like I could run off some names that in Britain people would say are "chav"(basically like white trash) names, and there's a good chance they'd be respectable names in America without any negative connotations.

On your point about stupid names in every race you're 100 percent right, that's why I brought up the issue of class, this study proves racism no doubt, but it's also a class issue as an aside. You'd be hard pressed to find some well-off family, black or white, naming their kids Mercedes or Darealyst.

That's why I think a more damning study would be if you took black and white people and applied them for jobs either both with stupid names, or both with normal names. Then you'd see the real racism.
 5 years ago '07        #166
PowerBar Ernie 107 heat pts107
space
space
$5,899 | Props total: 1214 1214
 AK2 said:
that name is an african name. yoruba name to be precise.
Name doesn't seem familiar to dude so he a.ssumes it's ghetto Can some of you not see what's wrong with this way of thinking?
 5 years ago '07        #167
space
space
 DominicanLou said:
interesting...

same people saying "n*gga" is just a word are here saying how "dumb" a name like Imani or DeShawn is. You're basically saying you agree with society to pre-judge someone off their name alone. If all the people with "black names" suddenly started using "white names" then what?

If DeJuan Jackson from Watts, who's 30 with a HS diploma, works as a security guard part-time and sells weed on the side suddenly changes his name to Andrew Jackson is he a better person? Does he move up the social ladder?

It's funny...seems like most, if not all, of those names listed are derived from European or Sub-Saharan African names and yet they become "ghetto" when a brown skin color is attached. Black Americans were stripped of our African surnames. Did we forget?

These names are only "black" because society has told us this and we go along with it. Non-blacks would never consider a "black name" because they've been told/sold the idea that certain names are reserved for black people. In the same token blacks have been told that these names are appropriate for them. It's like when you're born here society hands you a welcome package and in that package is a list of things you're supposed to like/do because of your color. My package came with a basketball, a fear of swimming, bucket of fried chicken and a list of "black names" to choose from.

i wish people would read more then accept things at face value. instead of trashing these names discover the Why. Challenge your mind and others, its your responsibility.

DominicanLou said:
I'm with you...

but my issue is that there is no such thing as a "black name". How can a black american have a black name when their African identity was stripped?

It's crazy. I used to think Anisha was a "black name" until I met an Indian named one. Turns out that's a popular Indian name.

Dante? Italian

Once the name is popular amongst the black community it suddenly becomes a "black name" and inferior. Let's marinate on that.
To add, Imani and Nia are Swahali names, smh @ seeing them on the list.

The article is racist and classist bullsh*t, black names is synonymous for ghetto names.
 5 years ago '04        #168
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,369 | Props total: 6383 6383
Darealyst

my friend doesn't really have a problem getting jobs and her name is euniqua

How many of y'all are going to name their kids something off the wall
 5 years ago '08        #169
slimdogg3325 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,871 | Props total: 719 719
no such thing as "black" people
 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM         #170
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 PowerBar Ernie said:
To add, Imani and Nia are Swahali names, smh @ seeing them on the list.

The article is racist and classist bullsh*t, black names is synonymous for ghetto names.
Perception is an odd and often disgusting thing. For example, I was reading a Daily Mail story about the Drake and Chris Brown altercation, and one of the commentators said "You can take the rappers out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto our of the rappers"

A presumption made about both artists, probably on the basis they're both black. This despite Drake growing up in a upper-middle class Jewish neighbourhood

[video - click to view]

06-15-2012, 01:34 PM         #171
Bladelecks 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 hockeythug said:
Freakonomics was a pretty interesting book.

We watched this in school. Once that fu*k n*gga said my name n*ggas wanna laugh and look at me.
 5 years ago '07        #172
space
space
 ROFLSTOMP said:
Perception is an odd and often disgusting thing. For example, I was reading a Daily Mail story about the Drake and Chris Brown altercation, and one of the commentators said "You can take the rappers out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto our of the rappers"

A presumption made about both artists, probably on the basis they're both black. This despite Drake growing up in a upper-middle class Jewish neighbourhood

Great video, what he said about considering the pyschological value of things

When perception leads to discrimination, harassment and believing people deserved unwarranted behaviour, then it's something people should reconsider. It's a shame seeing people in this thread actually feel this is justified.
 5 years ago '07        #173
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
dominicanlou destroyed yall with that knowledgeable ether in this thread
 5 years ago '06        #174
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,361 | Props total: 4635 4635
 ROFLSTOMP said:

Exactly. To your example I remember my boss at the time, who was white and from Eugene, Oregon, heard my cell phone go off and laughed "Oh, _______ with his rap music ring tones." Dude had no idea it was Celia Cruz (salsa). He just heard music, knew it was my phone and made an a.ssumption. That same boss told me they were trying to guess what I was before I came into the interview. They were thrown off by my Arabic first name, American last name (which is normally a first name), that I spoke Spanish and graduated from a Jesuit university.

Perception really is everything....and that pretty much applies to everything.

Americans think a lot of things sound "exotic" like a Haitian named Victor Cassangol
 5 years ago '09        #175
Chalky 303 heat pts303
space
space
$27,381 | Props total: 17486 17486
looks like my kids will be named Brad, Chad and Thaddeus
 5 years ago '06        #176
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,361 | Props total: 4635 4635
 justinjones said:
Darealyst

my friend doesn't really have a problem getting jobs and her name is euniqua

How many of y'all are going to name their kids something off the wall
I'd be interested to know what types of jobs she applies for and what is the profile of a person that applies for those types of positions.

Words are powerful. Euniqua is not just her name but her uniform, whether she conscious of it or not, because many people are going to automatically draw a.ssumptions from that alone.

sh*t is deep. Even certain pronunciations, rhythms and cadences in words can change perception. Spelling too.

Does "MAH-lick" carry a different tone then "Ma-LEEK"? (Malik)
 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM         #177
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DominicanLou said:
I'd be interested to know what types of jobs she applies for and what is the profile of a person that applies for those types of positions.

Words are powerful. Euniqua is not just her name but her uniform, whether she conscious of it or not, because many people are going to automatically draw a.ssumptions from that alone.

sh*t is deep. Even certain pronunciations, rhythms and cadences in words can change perception. Spelling too.

Does "MAH-lick" carry a different tone then "Ma-LEEK"? (Malik)
And job applications are a funny thing all together. I actually have friends who, believe it or not, have several different CVs for different fields and positions. On the basis that they've been rejected many times for being "over qualified"

If having too much education and experience on a CV can lose you a job for being OVERQUALIFIED, imagine what your perceived social class and race can do for your chances!
 06-15-2012, 07:25 PM         #178
kevante 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DominicanLou said:
I'm with you...

Dante? Italian

I agree 100% But the problem is much deeper than just black vs white. People with any type of name that seems to belong to a certain race or group of people is going to be subject to prejudice, that's just the truth. If your name is Jose, Juan, or Pablo, the interviewer is going to have preconceived notions of who you are. Same thing if your name is Osama, Muhammad, or other ethnic sounding names. Imagine applying for a job after 9/11 with a Muslim sounding name.

Discrimination happens all the time and it's not as simple as "white people hate black people". It's all about Xenophobia. Just look at other countries and how they discriminate people who look exactly like them, genocides in Africa, Nazi Germany, or just look at all the hatred towards gays today. It's just easier for ignorant people to discriminate against black people when they look so different from themselves and have distinguishing names.

It's really about the majority discriminating against names that they would never identify with, and only attribute to people "unlike" them. They'd rather hire someone "like" them who they are able to understand. And all this manifests itself as racism. That's why it pisses me off when people who are discriminated against and have such a long history of being fu*ked over (ie Black Americans), discriminate against others like homos3xuals, hispanics, or other groups.
 06-15-2012, 07:28 PM         #179
kevante 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 slimdogg3325 said:
no such thing as "black" people
I think it's more correct to call someone black, then to call someone African American. Labeling someone African American, instead of just American, is implying that that person is sub-American or less American simply because they have dark skin.

Not only that, but race is not a scientific catergory, it's a social construct and basically means whatever you want it to mean. How many races are there? black and white? Hispanics? What about europeans? Australians? Are haitan americans a different race than african americans? What race is Obama? What about Blake Griffin and Tiger Woods?

The more you think about race and color being used to identify people, the more retarded you realize it is.

Last edited by kevante; 06-15-2012 at 07:48 PM..
 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM         #180
Patrick Galooly 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 abstractq said:
so you'd rather set your children back in term of finding a job and making a life for themselves

just so you could be proud?

let me clue you in to some sh*t. . .People "appease" to get ahead in life all the time. We don't show up to job interviews wearing traditional african garb, we wear suits. We are a minority in america, and even more a minority when it comes to the power structure. You talkin all that sh*t about being proud, but are you in a position to hire some of these n*ggas named d'brickashaw when they cant get a foot in the door?

btw, you saying that this is akin to being whipped is ridiculous. . .n*ggas is overly dramatic for real
Would people stop trying to change or exaggerate the subject? Nobody's talking about names like D'brickishaw people are talking about regular names like Tyrone or Imani. And yes being pround of my people is and my heritage is more important than pictures of dead white slave owners.... n*ggas is weak for real.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
74 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
24 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
173 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
296 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
75 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Sid From Ice Age Says She's Not Black She's "Tan" and "White".
27 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
95 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
88 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy