Jun 13 - Bad News for Those With the 'Blackest' Names

most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
194 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
83 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
65 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Suavementeee Besameee
25 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-15-2012, 11:53 PM         #181
Patrick Galooly 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 htown said:
it's pretty telling that people so many coons and crackas in this thread are trying to downplay this issue by saying don't name your child "kawanaleeksha" when the names on that list are nothing like that...so you're telling me you can't even name your child Dominique, Tyrone, or Imani lol Amerikkka at its finest...and please don't come with the weird name sh*t, because regular white folks do the weird name sh*t too...how many white's back in the day were named sh*t like Tari, Kyra, Sheri or some sh*t like that
Exactly people trying to twist it in a way that says black people deserve it. Like always you got the coons co-signing it.
 5 years ago '04        #182
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,545 | Props total: 2793 2793
 Patrick Galooly said:
Exactly people trying to twist it in a way that says black people deserve it. Like always you got the coons co-signing it.

its got nothing to do with what you deserve or dont deserve

its about understanding the situation you are in. Times is hard enough out here without putting your kids at an additional disadvantage by naming them something that could potentially not get them hired

Like i said, when you go in for interviews, are you going to tell your son to not wear a suit and wear Kente cloth? Naw. . .We live in a country full of subtle discrimination. Why set your kid back?

You dont need an ethnic name like Malik to be proud of your heritage, nor do you need to name your child an ethnic name to show how proud you are of your ancestry. . .Marcus Garvey named his son Julius and sh*t

If theres a particular name you like and sh*t, make it the middle name or give the child an americanized middle name so he has options
 5 years ago '06        #183
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,361 | Props total: 4633 4633
 ROFLSTOMP said:
And job applications are a funny thing all together. I actually have friends who, believe it or not, have several different CVs for different fields and positions. On the basis that they've been rejected many times for being "over qualified"

If having too much education and experience on a CV can lose you a job for being OVERQUALIFIED, imagine what your perceived social class and race can do for your chances!
Word. I wonder if I was overqualified for that position I mentioned earlier or if it was the name thing....or maybe they're taking their time getting back to me??? . I try to have my CV and Linked In look all 5-star general but that might be TOO much for certain positions. In retrospect, the reason why I highlight my successes and accomplishments on my CV is to overcompensate for my first name which I anticipate may place me out the running before I even get a chance.

I could be f!ghting against two barriers, my perceived social class/race AND being overqualified. Damn, that sh*t sucks
 5 years ago '06        #184
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,361 | Props total: 4633 4633
 kevante said:
I agree 100% But the problem is much deeper than just black vs white. People with any type of name that seems to belong to a certain race or group of people is going to be subject to prejudice, that's just the truth. If your name is Jose, Juan, or Pablo, the interviewer is going to have preconceived notions of who you are. Same thing if your name is Osama, Muhammad, or other ethnic sounding names. Imagine applying for a job after 9/11 with a Muslim sounding name.

Discrimination happens all the time and it's not as simple as "white people hate black people". It's all about Xenophobia. Just look at other countries and how they discriminate people who look exactly like them, genocides in Africa, Nazi Germany, or just look at all the hatred towards gays today. It's just easier for ignorant people to discriminate against black people when they look so different from themselves and have distinguishing names.

It's really about the majority discriminating against names that they would never identify with, and only attribute to people "unlike" them. They'd rather hire someone "like" them who they are able to understand. And all this manifests itself as racism. That's why it pisses me off when people who are discriminated against and have such a long history of being fu*ked over (ie Black Americans), discriminate against others like homos3xuals, hispanics, or other groups.
Mos def. I agree, especially with the part in bold.

I think the only way to change things is to produce enough successful, educated and from the middle to upper class Bonshiquas, Tyrones, and Shanikas - to challenge the status quo.

It's hard for the human mind to perceive things without comparing it to another. We always have to have some kind of relativity, which is why I believe we need the concept of time. So, when we hear names our brains automatically start looking for an image to go a long with that name. Up until I met my ex-Indian GF all the Anishas I knew were black. Now, that name carries a different tone. Unfortunately, I did fall for the discrimination. But, I try and consciously combat that every chance I get.

I think this will change over time because in this world "nadie sabe quien e quien"....anybody can be from anywhere. I know Haitians named Vladimir, black Americans named Juan, Filipino named Gretchen, an Asian dude from France named Stefon, etc..
 5 years ago '04        #185
Hood_Rich 7 heat pts
space
space
$15,686 | Props total: 433 433
Sad but true.... Didn't know Demetrius was a black name
 5 years ago '10        #186
Rebirth46 59 heat pts59
space
space
$3,997 | Props total: 982 982
I once knew a white bi*ch named maryJane
 5 years ago '11        #187
Tony Franks 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,378 | Props total: 3834 3834
 DominicanLou said:
I'm with you...

but my issue is that there is no such thing as a "black name". How can a black american have a black name when their African identity was stripped?

It's crazy. I used to think Anisha was a "black name" until I met an Indian named one. Turns out that's a popular Indian name.

Still, when I hear Dominique I think "a black person". But, that's French.

Even Leroy comes from Le roi (the king in French).

Dante? Italian

Once the name is popular amongst the black community it suddenly becomes a "black name" and inferior. Let's marinate on that.
wow. nice post D-lou
 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM         #188
FADEx AWAY J 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Patrick Galooly said:
Would people stop trying to change or exaggerate the subject? Nobody's talking about names like D'brickishaw people are talking about regular names like Tyrone or Imani. And yes being pround of my people is and my heritage is more important than pictures of dead white slave owners.... n*ggas is weak for real.
stop it Patrick
 5 years ago '04        #189
mtbatol 11 heat pts11
space
space
$4,698 | Props total: 1155 1155
I ain't hiring no jawn named Diamond either...

...well ...unless she wanna work REAL hard for that promotion, and work it reaaaaaaal goud
Home      

most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
81 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
43 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
289 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
67 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
35 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
47 comments
1 day ago