Ex-NFL player talks of challenge of being gay in locker room

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
27 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
176 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
87 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
77 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #1
5923 pageviews
28 comments

blaznfor20 242 heat pts242
space
space
$2,471 | Props total: 51 51

Wade Davis works at the Hetrick-Martin Institute, which serves lesbian, gay, bis3xual, transgender or questioning youth in New York.

If it seems like a unique occupation for a former NFL player, it probably is ... especially since Davis is one of those rare ex-players who's come out of the closet.Former Titans CB Wade Davis never played in a regular-season game, but he did break up this pass to the Dolphins' Robert Baker in this 2002 scrimmage.
CAPTIONBy George Walker IV, The Tennessean

The former cornerback's name isn't a well-known one, but Davis did attend training camps and even played in preseason games as a member of the Tennessee Titans, Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins from 2000 to 2003. He never stuck on a regular-season roster but did earn stints in NFL Europe with the Berlin Thunder and Barcelona Dragons.

In interviews with OutSports and SBNation, Davis, 34, talked about the challenges of being closeted in an NFL locker room.

"I think subconsciously, I understood that being gay -- the way I was raised -- was wrong, and there was no way that my family, at least in my mind, would accept me," Davis told SBNation's Amy Nelson. "And also that my football family would (not) accept me just because of the perception of being gay meant that you're less masculine."

That meant holding himself back personally even as he grew close to heteros3xual teammates like the Titans' Jevon Kearse and Samari Rolle.

"You just want to be one of the guys, and you don't want to lose that sense of family," Davis told OutSports. "Your biggest fear is that you'll lose that camaraderie and family. I think about how close I was with Jevon and Samari. It's not like they'd like me less, it's that they have to protect their own brand."

MORE: Are NFL locker rooms ready to welcome gay players?

Kearse recently showed support to gay athletes in a separate interview with OutSports and suggested the NFL might be ready to accept homos3xual players in the locker room.

But Davis, who also now does campaign work for President Obama, never felt comfortable treading on what's essentially been taboo ground in professional team sports, at least for active players. He was even advised to avoid another unidentified player on the Titans who was labeled as "different" with the thought that such an a.ssociation would jeopardize Davis' ability to make the team.

"There was a part of me that was a little relieved because, when I knew football was over, my life would begin," Davis said to OutSports. "I had this football life, but I didn't have another life away from that. Most of the guys had a family and a wife, but I had football and nothing else."

He says he first realized he was gay in 11th grade.

"I can remember being in gym class and having the desire to look at a boy in a way that I should look at girls," he told SBNation.

If that sounds like a red flag to players who might be skittish with him in their inner circle, Davis says it absolutely shouldn't be the case.

"At never a point (during) my NFL playing career did I take advantage of the privilege that I had to see a man nekkid. I never even remotely got aroused in the locker room. It's a place where those guys are your family, and the last thing that you want to do is make anyone in your family feel uncomfortable. It's not even a thought," he said.

"I think the players have to understand that there's nothing that's gonna happen."

What hasn't happened so far is a pro player in a major North American pro league to reveal he's gay during his career. And even Davis admits that might fall to a star player rather than a fringe one like he was even though he hopes someone steps out in the near future.

"I'm gonna be flat-out honest with you, it probably shouldn't (be a reserve player) if he wants to keep his job," he said. "If he's the 53rd man on the roster, if he's a free agent who's f!ghting for a job, maybe he shouldn't. I would hope that he would."

Is such a courageous step in the offing?

"I can't say it's in the next five or 10 years, but I definitely think it's on the horizon," says Davis, who came out himself only recently.

"I started to realize that, 'You know what? There's an opportunity here for me to really make and affect change -- not only with myself but with the world.' "

[pic - click to view]

28 comments for "Ex-NFL player talks of challenge of being gay in locker room"

06-06-2012, 03:28 PM         #2
Old Man Quillis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 6 years ago '10        #3
lboog1423 297 heat pts297
space
space
$34,161 | Props total: 15708 15708
 0ddJoB said:
Was it Alphonso Smith
hes not gay
 6 years ago '10        #4
space
space
 0ddJoB said:
Coulda sworn that was the word my dude
if he is, he has put on one hell of a front. I went to HS wit his baby moms. They are married and attend my church regulary. Pretty cool dude
 6 years ago '04        #5
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,444 | Props total: 6515 6515
Former Titans CB Wade Davis never played in a regular-season game, but he did break up this pass to the Dolphins' Robert Baker in this 2002 scrimmage.
giving scrimmage players shine now

"I can remember being in gym class and having the desire to look at a boy in a way that I should look at girls," he told SBNation.
 6 years ago '11        #6
jew85em 22 heat pts22
space
space
$500 | Props total: 11 11
nobody feels sorry for this idiot, dont play footnall f*g, and shutup smh
 6 years ago '04        #7
EscoNore 67 heat pts67
space
space
$11,446 | Props total: 173 173
 jew85em said:
nobody feels sorry for this idiot, dont play footnall f*g, and shutup smh
n*gga you a jew, that's just as bad
 6 years ago '11        #8
X_WunderKind_X 909 heat pts909
space
space
$42,257 | Props total: 17710 17710
I thought John Amaechi came out a few years back, played for the Magic if I'm not mistaken
 06-06-2012, 06:40 PM         #9
DrX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DEDOS said:

thats my point gawd
 6 years ago '09        #10
kingstown04 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,546 | Props total: 89 89
 Fras1788 said:
The challenge: Must Stay Soft, don't get hard

6 years ago '11        #11
DRAGONFLY JONES 131 heat pts131
space
space
$9,050 | Props total: 3203 3203
 DEDOS said:

thats my point gawd
..tim didnt giva fu*k
 6 years ago '04        #12
doczdaname 29 heat pts29
space
space
space
$12,992 | Props total: 5048 5048
im still waiting for bx homos to come out even though many of them do through their very gay posts
 6 years ago '04        #13
K1 68 heat pts68
space
space
space
$11,499 | Props total: 155 155
 0ddJoB said:
Was it Alphonso Smith
He might as well be the way he plays hes soft as sh*t. Sure fooled us with college tape being a ball hawk its like he got to the league and pussed out.

what a fu*ken bust for us, every time I see him hes getting roasted on the field by some scrub WRs when he was in a Lions uniform.
 6 years ago '11        #14
Killa KMS 18 heat pts18
space
space
$6,026 | Props total: 932 932
 Oh Finesse said:
that boy loved bein tackled who he kiddin
 6 years ago '05        #15
GUNIT-FINEST 
space
space
$17,631 | Props total: 309 309
 Oh Finesse said:
that boy loved bein tackled who he kiddin
Tim almost got blacked balled after that sh*t dude was just keeping it real
 6 years ago '10        #16
space
space
 S W A N said:
Most DL brothas live that church/family lifestyle. Helps them hide easier. Not saying ya boy is gay though.

yea i know, im just sayin it is one hell of a front if he is tho. They was talkin since his days at Wake...Never know whit n*ggas these days tho
 6 years ago '06        #17
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 18895 18895
a lotta ignorance in this thread....

guy is pretty courageous to address this sh*t now...

it is what it is.. if you afraid of gays and hate em' for no reason, I think that says more about you than anything else... a bunch of ya'll might be worried about tapping into some sh*t that's within you...

Personally I don't care if gay muthafu*kas is in the locker room, at work, wherever, and I damn sure don't hate or worry about em'... lol, why? Whatthreat do they pose to me? The answer is none..
 6 years ago '06        #18
hooligun 12 heat pts12
space
space
$20,301 | Props total: 538 538
 DEDOS said:

thats my point gawd
he kept it 100... propz to timmy stand your ground my dude
 6 years ago '06        #19
hooligun 12 heat pts12
space
space
$20,301 | Props total: 538 538
 NineFour said:
Yancy Thigpen was gay
nah just his name was gay... that was my WR
 6 years ago '10        #20
BEAST7 1 heat pts
space
space
$459 | Props total: 75 75
 DEDOS said:

thats my point gawd

AND NOT A fu*k WAS GIVEN LOL

On a side note you cannot really hate or dislike someone bc there gay
I can understand if u dislike a man bc he acts like a bi*ch, which most men think homos3xuals act like but that is not always true
but you hv to respect his comment about the locker room
it is the same reason why men and women are separated and hv seperate locker rooms
Home      

most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
102 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
188 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
70 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
32 comments
1 day ago