i wish i knew how to do that sh*t keith
is it hard? how did you learn to do it? (custom roms)
The instructions on RootzWiki held me down. It really just came down to picking a method and running with it. They confuse you out the gate with CWM and TWRP and all these abbreviations that make you feel stupid for not knowing. I decided I liked CWM and followed down the rabbit hole. I'll copy/paste the things I did for you:
Method 2: How to Root/Unlock Bootloader/Flash Custom Recovery (Windows)
[/COLOR]* This works with all Current stock builds...VRALF2, VRALG1, VRALG7, VRALHD
Step 1: Download these files to pc:
Step 2: Install samsung driver and unzip the root tool(use a program such as 7zip) to a folder of choice.
Step 3: Connect device with oem usb cable to pc.
Step 4: On your device, Make sure USB Debugging(settings/developer options/usb debugging) and Install of Unknown Sources(settings/security/unknown source) is checked.(Also, make sure there are no other android devices, emulators, or any tethering programs running!!).
Step 5: Open the Root Tool folder you downloaded in step 1 and Double click "RootDebugFS", press 1, then hit enter.
Step 6: Agree to the 4 disclaimers by pressing any key after each one pops up.
Step 7: Once the root process starts DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR DEVICE until it completes.
*Congrats you should now be rooted! Continue following instructions for unlocking bootloader and flashing a custom recovery*
Step 8: Download the EZ-Unlock app to your device from . (Only use version 1.2 for now as the latest version has issues!)
Step 9: Open app and select unlock, Now your unlocked...yup its that easy!
Step 10: Download the EZ-recovery app to your device from .
Step 11: Open app and select recovery. Next tap pulldown menu, select CWM 6.0.1, then select flash.
Step 12: If you want to flash a Custom ROM:
As for ROMS, I went with AOSP-based ROMS. Those are the Cyanogen, AOKP, LiquidSmooth ROMS of the universe. I could have stuck with TouchWiz (that's the stock launcher that you're familiar with on a stock GS3), but if I'm rooting, I'm going in.
Anyhow, these are the steps I followed for flashing the ROM I chose:
If you have CMW 6.0.X.X
1. Select wipe data/factory reset, click yes, I do this step 2-3 times but 1 usually is good enough, click yes, let it run and go back to home
2. Select wipe cache partition, click yes, click yes, let it run and go back to home
3. Select advanced, wipe dalvik cache, click yes, let it run and go back to home
4. Select mounts and storage, click format /system, click yes, let it run and go back to home
5. Select install zip from sdcard
6. Select choose zip from sdcard
7. Navigate to the directory where you placed files
8. Select the ROM file (ex: cm-10-20120822-NIGHTLY-d2vzw), select yes to flash, let it run and when it finishes go back
9. Select the GAPPS file if necessary, select yes to flash, let it run and when it finishes go back
10. Go back to home, and select reboot system now and profit!
The hard part is done, now wait for your phone to boot. IT WILL TAKE LONGER FOR THE FIRST INITIAL BOOT AFTER DOING A FULL WIPE LIKE THIS. DON'T PANIC OR FREAK OUT, JUST LET IT RUN. Once it boots up, follow the on screen prompts to activate and you can begin to set your phone back up!
I use a Mac, so this involved loading files through Dropbox and downloading them to my external SD.
It is important to note that I'm doing this with a Verizon GS3.
All the forums I've visited separate the GS3s by carrier, so I a.ssume the process is different for all (otherwise, why separate?).
Either way, I'd start with RootzWiki and AndroidCentral. Once you feel comfortable enough with what you've read and experimented with, head over to xda-developers since that seems to be the root of the ...eerrrr.. rooters.
It all sounds more complicated than it really is. I was terrified of bricking the thing, but it all went smoothly.