most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
66 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
102 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #1
10015 pageviews
120 comments

P DRILLA 103 heat pts103
space
space
$10,675 | Props total: 6426 6426
Green Lantern is GAY DC Character

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern, is being reintroduced into DC Comics in a big way: as the main superhero of the parallel-world Earth 2, and as a gay man.

Alan Scott, the Green Lantern of the parallel-world Earth 2, is revealed as a gay man in the newest issue of DC Comics' Earth 2 series.

The second issue of DC's Earth 2 series (in comic shops and online Wednesday) begins the new origin of the character, who first appeared in a 1940 issue of All-American Comics. The longtime Justice Society of America member is now a young media mogul and important figure in the creation of a group of heroes to replace the seemingly deceased Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman of his world.

"He's going to be the leader of the team, this dynamic hero, he'll do anything to save people, the bravest man on the planet. Why not just make him gay as well?" says Earth 2 writer James Robinson.

The thought had occurred to Robinson after DC's relaunch of its entire superhero line last fall removed Alan Scott's gay son Obsidian from the picture. Robinson made the suggestion about Alan Scott to DC co-publisher Dan DiDio, and "there wasn't a moment's hesitation," the writer says.

Batwoman is an openly lesbian superhero in the DC Universe, and twice in the last three years the company has won the "Outstanding Comic" award from GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) for stories featuring the character. But having a gay Green Lantern, one of DC's most visible heroes, is a big step.

"What I really want to do with this character is make the fact that he's gay to be a part of who he is and not to be the one identifying aspect of him," Robinson says. "And have his humor and his bravery be as much or more a part of him as his s3xuality."

The Green Lantern most readers know is Hal Jordan, the man with the green power ring in DC's main Green Lantern series and the hero Ryan Reynolds played in the Green Lantern movie. He and Alan Scott will meet one day, Robinson says, but in the meantime the writer's making sure they're completely different characters, both in personality and powers.
"When they're firing their rings at the same time, you'll be able to tell which energy is which," he says. "That's a very important thing so that it sets them apart."

Artist Nicola Scott's orders were clear, too: Make Alan Scott a big, strapping, handsome man that everyone would instinctively follow and love. "No short order but right up my alley," she says.

"Alan strikes me as an incredibly open, honest and warm man, a natural leader and absolutely the right choice to be guardian of the Earth. His s3xuality is incidental. Every time I draw him I love him even more."

By the time readers get to know Alan Scott more, he will have already come out as a gay man, but it isn't a huge deal for him. Keeping the world safe is higher on his priority list.
"He's someone you would want to watch over your children," Robinson says. "Presenting that kind of a heroic role model hopefully will be a good thing and help to show gays in a positive light for people who might be a little more small-minded."

The character's s3xuality isn't a major issue for Robinson either. He wrote what he believes was comics' first gay kiss, to in an issue of Starman. The writer understands, though, that in some circles a mainstream gay superhero is not all that welcome.

DiDio had made an offhand comment a couple of weeks ago at a London comic-book convention that a DC character would be gay, and last week Marvel Comics announced an upcoming X-Men gay wedding. In response, the group One Million Moms prompted readers on its website to send both companies "an email urging them to change and cancel all plans of homos3xual superhero characters immediately" and to "ask them to do the right thing."
Robinson argues that one's s3xuality, even a superhero's, isn't something that should be feared or castigated.

"Most people's prejudice stems from their ignorance and isolation, be it racial or someone's s3xuality. It's usually due to them not going out into the world and experiencing it," he says.
"I hope that showing a positive character like Green Lantern Alan Scott helps in some small, small way to bring down the walls and barriers."

[pic - click to view]

A gay Green Lantern will be cast in a different light – USATODAY.com

CLIFF's NOTES: It's Alan Scott of Earth 2, not Hal Jordan.image

Last edited by P DRILLA; 06-01-2012 at 08:56 AM..

120 comments for "Green Lantern is GAY DC Character"

6 years ago '09        #2
5_star_smitty|m 208 heat pts208
space
space
$44,535 | Props total: 3825 3825
this was inevitable when MTV started doing gay versions of all their dating shows & the real world wasn't complete without at least 1 gay housemate
 6 years ago '06        #3
droid3000 995 heat pts995
space
space
$26,438 | Props total: 26124 26124
as long as its not john stewart lol
 6 years ago '05        #4
P DRILLA 103 heat pts103 OP
space
space
$10,675 | Props total: 6426 6426
 Aleandroid said:
as long as its not john stewart lol
when i heard it was green lantern this morning i thought it would be kyle rayner
 6 years ago '04        #5
GodsFavorite 101 heat pts101
space
space
space
$8,880 | Props total: 2937 2937
pause
 6 years ago '07        #6
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
no homo but they are ramming this gay sh*t down your throat
 6 years ago '05        #7
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818
The Adventures of the Amazing Transgender-Man coming soon.

Pause.
 6 years ago '10        #8
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
That's Earth-2, so nobody will really care in the end.
 6 years ago '11        #9
dom 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$8,349 | Props total: 204 204
I thought it was going to be Wonder Woman cause it wouldve been more appealing I mean who dont like lesbians?
 6 years ago '04        #10
GodsFavorite 101 heat pts101
space
space
space
$8,880 | Props total: 2937 2937
 DominationCM said:
I thought it was going to be Wonder Woman cause it wouldve been more appealing I mean who dont like lesbians?
the gay community wouldnt have liked that cause it wouldve just been a nerds fantasy

pause again
 6 years ago '11        #11
dom 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$8,349 | Props total: 204 204
 GodsFavorite said:
the gay community wouldnt have liked that cause it wouldve just been a nerds fantasy

pause again
yeah I keep forgetting you gotta run everything by the gay community just to make sure its ok
 6 years ago '04        #12
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,923 | Props total: 4282 4282
damn..Im just glad it wasn't my n*gga John Stewart.
 6 years ago '09        #13
JewsusChrist 211 heat pts211
space
space
space
$17,406 | Props total: 73 73
Ppl still buy comics or this isna movie
 6 years ago '07        #14
theFREAK 3680 heat pts3680
space
space
$53,672 | Props total: 38450 38450
Its not Batman?

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '05        #15
BoxdenSleuth 26 heat pts26
space
space
space
$1,274 | Props total: 97 97
Who cares? Gay people exist and they should exist in movies.
 6 years ago '05        #16
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
 Blood Edge said:
ya'll know that Marvel did this almost a decade ago right?

I guess people weren't insecure enough about their s3xuality back then so they didn't fuss about it
Or maybe cause it didnt look like some type of agenda being forced on people.

An original character. Okay that's whatever. Why take Green Lantern or Spider-Man, beloved characters and just make them homos3xual to keep up in these times of "Glee"?

Is that really necessary? I guess so. Piggy backing this idea on top of an original classic character is probably the only way people will pay attention. Pause.
 6 years ago '05        #17
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
 Blood Edge said:
it was Colossus

dude tried to hit on Gambit

no one cared about this sh*t until gays began to get equal rights....just like racists didn't care about "minorities" until they started earning money
With "equal rights" are you referring to the marriage bill? Otherwise, I dont remember seeing any pictures of "straights only" water fountains in history class or any parts of the constititution that stated gay men were only 3/5 of a human being.

You maybe confusing "equal rights" with "equal exposure".
 6 years ago '04        #18
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,923 | Props total: 4282 4282
 Blood Edge said:
it was Colossus

dude tried to hit on Gambit

no one cared about this sh*t until gays began to get equal rights....just like racists didn't care about "minorities" until they started earning money
 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM         #19
CS35 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hmmm that's funny I a.ssumed all dc comics were gay
 6 years ago '05        #20
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,375 | Props total: 8055 8055
and n*ggas was sayin it was batman
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
86 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
252 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
304 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside PUBG XBOX ONE Official Thread
99 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Suavementeee Besameee
35 comments
21 hours ago