NBA exec calls lottery a "joke", reminds us that the league still owns Hornets

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
29 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
100 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
269 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
74 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '08        #1
5676 pageviews
64 comments

Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
NBA exec calls lottery a "joke", reminds us that the league still owns Hornets

MIAMI – This was the fitting end to one of the darkest, most unseemly episodes in the history of the NBA, the perfect punctuation on the commissioner's manipulation of the sale and salvation of a lost franchise.

The New Orleans Hornets won the draft lottery and get to pick one of the most transcendent prospects in years, Kentucky's Anthony Davis. The NBA-owned New Orleans Hornets, with a 13.7 percent chance, won the lottery. For over a year, David Stern pushed hard to get maximum value for his owners on the re-sale of the Hornets, and Tom Benson gave Stern an asking price and an a.ssurance the franchise wouldn't leave New Orleans.

"It's such a joke that the league made the new owners be at the lottery for the show," one high-ranking team executive told Yahoo! Sports. "The league still owns the Hornets. Ask their front office if new owners can make a trade right now. They can't. This is a joke."

The reaction of several league executives was part disgust, part resignation on Wednesday night. So many had predicted this happening, so many suspected that somehow, someway, the Hornets would walk away with Davis. That's the worst part for the NBA; these aren't the railings from the guy sitting at the corner tavern, but the belief of those working within the machinery that something undue happened here, that they suspect it happens all the time under Stern.

There's no proof, and there will never be proof. Yet, there's an appearance of impropriety – always an appearance – that marches arm-and-arm with Stern into the twilight of his commissionership, marches right out the door with him.

In New Orleans this season, everyone followed orders. The Hornets feared crossing Stern could cost them not only jobs with the Hornets, but futures in the NBA. They ate that trade for Chris Paul to the Lakers, and dutifully sold the commissioner's story that it was never agreed upon, never completed. The Hornets played Darryl Watkins, Jerome Dyson and Lance Thomas 41-plus minutes in the final game of the season in an 84-77 loss to Houston. They played them until the Hornets bottomed out with six points in the fourth quarter of the loss that left them at 21-45 for the season.

"I bet I could get my owner to tank if I knew the chance of getting the No. 1 pick was 100 percent," an NBA team president said in an email.

Perhaps this is too harsh, but it's how rivals feel; a lot of them. They're suspicious, dubious, and the Hornets' winning the lottery fed all of that in an immense way. Monty Williams had the Hornets playing hard for so much of the season, making the most out of so little. They weren't designed to win 21 games in that shortened schedule, and that's a credit to Williams, one of the NBA's fine young coaches.

This is the problem for Stern, and will always be: Within his own league, they're dubious about him, his underlings, about the centralized power structure in New York. Stern created the mayhem of the Hornets season – the vetoed Paul trade that disrupted the operations and balance of several teams – and the fallout never relented. Here comes Tom Benson now, whose NFL organization is mired in one of the great institutional scandals in pro sports history, walking into New York for the draft lottery with a bad team, in a bad arena, and leaving with a franchise star.

Yes, the Hornets are staying in New Orleans, and that's wonderful news for the people there, for the NBA. All around the league, though, everyone will forever wonder: At what cost?

[pic - click to view]

NBA's problematic ownership of Hornets opens door to rigged talk over draft lottery - Yahoo! Sports

[pic - click to view]

image i had on my pistons jersey when the show came on, for good luck. took it off as soon as i saw the saints owner & his family in the building

64 comments for "NBA exec calls lottery a "joke", reminds us that the league still owns Hornets"

6 years ago '08        #2
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,735 | Props total: 11628 11628
 05-30-2012, 10:20 PM         #3
JackMeHoff 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you should've never had that wack a.ss jersey on in the first place. that's where you went wrong
 6 years ago '08        #4
Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269 OP
space
space
 Audacious said:
you should've never had that wack a.ss jersey on in the first place. that's where you went wrong
*cues laugh track*
 6 years ago '07        #5
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,790 | Props total: 14597 14597
league is a joke but its entertaining.
 6 years ago '07        #6
Avon_Barksdale 4345 heat pts4345
space
space
$42,526 | Props total: 56228 56228
 Audacious said:
 6 years ago '05        #7
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,737 | Props total: 12561 12561
A.) Nothing can be done about it and B.) nobody wants to pay the fine about bi*ching about something that can't be proven and nothing can be done.

The fact that this sh*t isn't done in public with live T.V's says it all.. I don't want to hear anything about a journalist saying he sat in, anyone can be bought to keep their mouth shut.. Especially a journalist.
 6 years ago '06        #8
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
$40,556 | Props total: 18065 18065
I dont know why they dont just do it infront of everyone
 6 years ago '08        #9
Illuminati 194 heat pts194
space
space
$38,840 | Props total: 9159 9159
 Audacious said:
im sorry op i have to laugh.
 6 years ago '04        #10
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,444 | Props total: 6515 6515
so nobody complained when the cavs got the 1st pick last year?
 6 years ago '06        #11
O Nasty 96 heat pts96
space
space
$20,419 | Props total: 288 288
i do think it's funny they bring in all the team reps

teams 14-8 ppl just sit there with a blank stare on their face
 6 years ago '08        #12
Illuminati 194 heat pts194
space
space
$38,840 | Props total: 9159 9159
 Rique said:
I dont know why they dont just do it infront of everyone
It apparently takes a long time and involves a lot of repetitive steps. I can't remember who said it but it was from some exec or journalist who sat in on one I believe.
 6 years ago '11        #13
I KILL TREES 15 heat pts15
space
space
$8,932 | Props total: 1075 1075
 Audacious said:
 6 years ago '05        #14
QualityRecords 8 heat pts
space
space
$15,113 | Props total: 1563 1563
 justinjones said:
Yea they did. Just so happened that the Clippers won the lottery, Cavs had the worst record so because the Clippers won the Cavs owned that pick, so they got the 1st and the 4th. When I saw the owner's son (who had a brain tumor or something along those lines) I knew the Cavs were gonna win last year and when I heard the scenario about them possibly getting two of the top 3 or 4 picks I definitely knew.
 05-30-2012, 11:25 PM         #15
twentythree 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
when you see it....

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '08        #16
Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269 OP
space
space
 cookthacoke187 said:
when you see it....

[pic - click to view]

u tryna get me k!lled
 6 years ago '04        #17
lilsnatch770|M 101 heat pts101
space
space
$31,897 | Props total: 2006 2006
 QualityRecords said:
Yea they did. Just so happened that the Clippers won the lottery, Cavs had the worst record so because the Clippers won the Cavs owned that pick, so they got the 1st and the 4th. When I saw the owner's son (who had a brain tumor or something along those lines) I knew the Cavs were gonna win last year and when I heard the scenario about them possibly getting two of the top 3 or 4 picks I definitely knew.
Pretty much. Haven't people been complaining about it being rigged for the last three years? It pretty much is whichever team lost a star or would give a good story line that gets it anymore. The NBA's draft process is a joke, but the league is a joke as well so I am not too shocked.
 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM         #18
Skratch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im still mad at that hoe stern
 6 years ago '08        #19
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,735 | Props total: 11628 11628
 justinjones said:

Just sayin
 05-30-2012, 11:45 PM         #20
twentythree 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dee Grande said:
u tryna get me k!lled
look at who thanked the post
Home      

most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
75 comments
18 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
115 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
111 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
124 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
joie chavis
45 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
111 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
21 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
116 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy