May 25 - ISPs in the USA to start monitoring customers’ downloads starting July 1, 2012

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
137 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside January Rose
11 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
64 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #1
11725 pageviews
119 comments

Andrefrbk 1067 heat pts1067
space
space
$22,887 | Props total: 5118 5118
May 25 - ISPs in the USA to start monitoring customers’ downloads starting July 1, 2012

[pic - click to view]

ISPs in the USA to start monitoring customers’ downloads starting July 1, 2012
Posted: March 17th, 2012 | Author: Ashraf | Views: 5,068 | Filed under: General Tech News |

With SOPA and PIPA out of the way, what other magic tricks does the entertainment industry of America have up its sleeve? How about having ISPs (Internet Service Providers -- your Internet company) play copyright cop. Last year in July major ISPs across the USA agreed to ramp up efforts to clamp down on piracy. Since that time, we really haven't heard much more about this copyright policing. Now, a few days ago the CEO of RIAA (Recording Industry a.ssociation of America) announced major ISPs in the USA (Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, etc.) have agreed to start monitoring what their customers download starting July 1, 2012.
Copyright Cop

Under the agreement signed by the ISPs and RIAA/MPAA, ISPs adopt what is called a "graduated response" to piracy (i.e. illegal download of intellectual property such as movies). Customers who are accused of file sharing will initially get one or two "Copyright Alerts" informing them of their infringements and asking them to stop. If, after sending these alerts, the customers in question still continue to pirate they will receive "confirmation notices" which ask consumers to confirm they got the Copyright Alerts. If customers continue to pirate, ISPs can choose between a variety of tougher measures (dubbed "mitigation measures") such as throttling Internet speed or restricting Internet access until the customer stops pirating.

The RIAA/MPAA wants ISPs to build database which keep track of customers so they can flag the number of times a customer has been accused of illegal downloading.

This agreement between ISPs and RIAA/MPAA has been years in the making and has received political support, particularly from the White House.
Why This Is Important

This is important simply because all your Internet access and activity is seen by your ISP. If they wanted to, they could very easily tell you what you did on the Internet on what day, e.g. you visit X website at X time on X day. Thus, this is probably the most significant and effective step taking to date to f!ght piracy.

It isn't important that ISPs are monitoring and logging their customers' Internet activity; ISPs have been doing that for a while for stuff like cooperating with law enforcement. What is important is ISPs are now doing this to a.ssist corporate America -- not law enforcement. Where is the check that prevents abuse?
Issues With This Plan

The biggest issue with this plan, in my opinion, is how ISPs will determine who is downloading and if that downloading is legit or not. Now don't get me wrong. ISPs have extremely intelligent engineers who have tricks to figure out what is being downloaded by who. What concerns me, however, is when ISPs get it wrong, i.e. false accusations. Also, what about shared networks? Is it OK to punish multiple users just because one person on the network is downloading something they shouldn't?

The other major issue with this plan are privacy concerns. As mentioned above, ISPs have always had the ability to monitor Internet usage because they have had to comply with law enforcement requests. However, that was for law enforcement; not for the RIAA/MPAA. Law enforcement requests usually require probable cause and the approval of a judge through a warrant. What gives the entertainment industry of America the right to bypass these basic American rights? Where does the monitoring begin? Where does it stop? Are ISPs allowed to share data on people with other ISPs?

What about censorship. Isn't throttling someones Internet access a form of censorship? This is the same Internet access that has been dubbed a "human right" by some organizations around the globe.

Finally, what happens if a customer refuses to stop downloading? Are they taken to court? Fined? Sued? Do consumers have a say in the matter? What can they be liable for?
The Bright Side

Not all is gloomy. ISPs have the choice of waving mitigation measures for individual customers, if they so decide; and none of the ISPs have agreed to permanently shutdown subscribers. Furthermore, I can see less lawsuits being thrown at consumers simply because people can argue in court the entertainment industry had tools to stop the pirating but they didn't so they can't hold people accountable. Finally, there are bound to be services and software that crop up to beat the system, for those that are really bothered by this.
Conclusion

This just feels dirty. The potential for abuse is high and privacy is bound to be trampled upon. I'm no lawyer but this feels like a violation of rights us American take as for granted. Only time will tell how this plays out. Here is hoping for the best.

Let us know what you think about this plan to monitor people's downloads in the comments below

SOURCE's

[pic - click to view]

http://dottech.org/tech-n .. g-july-1-2012/

[pic - click to view]

http://news.yahoo.com/maj .. 164611860.html

[pic - click to view]

http://news.cnet.com/8301 .. ght-by-july-1/

[pic - click to view]

http://www.digitaltrends. .. uly-says-riaa/

[pic - click to view]

http://gizmodo.com/589335 .. starts-july-12

[pic - click to view]

http://www.tomsguide.com/ .. ews-14459.html

[pic - click to view]

http://www.bgr.com/2012/0 .. ing-july-12th/

No mainstream media sadly. Just like they did with cispa.

[video - click to view]

Lol Im absolutely shocked, and worried that no one is talking about this... I didnt think it was going to happen when i first read about it, but nah its gtg. THE AGREEMENT IS SIGNED, THIS WILL HAPPEN. ISP's have agreed to monitor your activity, and report illegal copy written content to RIAA/MPAA.

Overall we got a huge problem in this country, we have all these bills, and policies being brought out and the mainstream media dont report it. As a result many Americans dont know, in this day and age its your responsibility to seek information. If you are not on top of shiit these days you will be in the dark, stuck watching sports, and reality tv while n*ggas cut off your internet and send you a letter because you streamed some copy written pr0n. image

There is way more bullshiit coming out from the Obama administration between now and elections. Gotta stay on ya grind for knowledge. We have bills like CISPA passing house, and people really think obama is going to vito it when he is behind ISP's spying on users and reporting them. Cutting off their internet as soon as they DL a pr0n/movie/mp3? Yall really living comfortable with that?

WAKE THE F UP PEOPLE!

Last edited by Andrefrbk; 05-25-2012 at 06:26 PM..

119 comments for "May 25 - ISPs in the USA to start monitoring customers’ downloads starting July 1, 2012"

05-25-2012, 01:09 PM         #2
ThatHustle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Well that's a big fml wit some smh
 6 years ago '11        #3
Gatorfan2611 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,255 | Props total: 1574 1574
well damn
 6 years ago '10        #4
SpacelyPockets 11 heat pts11
space
space
$1,808 | Props total: 404 404
smh need to spread this around and start a damn petition...RIaa dont need sh*t they always tryna control sh*t
 6 years ago '08        #5
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '07        #6
CadillacVyse 943 heat pts943
space
space
$27,629 | Props total: 16720 16720
Free market capitalism!
 6 years ago '04        #7
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,870 | Props total: 1905 1905
I'm curious as to how they will know what a person is DL'ing if the file they are receiving is in a pass protected .rar, using a different file extension or simply renamed anything but what it actually is?

I guess they could download the file to in order to discover what it was, but then wouldn't they too now be guilty???
 05-25-2012, 02:54 PM         #8
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ISP logs:
downloading..............bangbros
downloading..............realitykings
downloading..............mofos
downloading..............pr0npros

6 years ago '05        #9
ivan1087 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,291 | Props total: 19 19
 S.TEX said:
ISP logs:

6 years ago '06        #10
~ KiLLa KaZi ~ 
space
space
space
$4,862 | Props total: 94 94
SSL downloads>

VPNs>

fu*k da riaa/mpaa <--- download dat f*ggots

6 years ago '04        #11
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
will continue to use usenet with SSL.
 6 years ago '05        #12
juny 29 heat pts29
space
space
$2,698 | Props total: 42 42
might as well put cameras all over my house and monitor everything i do same sh*t.its a shame people are lettin this pass by and not doin anything about it.soon enough the gov will control our lives if this keeps up.why worry about piracy intead worry about the mmost important things like the economy and the drug cartels we are not murdering people day in and day out smh fu*k this corrupted a.ss government and obama for being a bi*ch about it
 6 years ago '10        #13
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
Can I get a source?
 6 years ago '06        #14
G2MC 35 heat pts35
space
space
$3,380 | Props total: 989 989
 hockeythug said:
will continue to use usenet with SSL.
I was thinking about this, but I've seen that Astraweb is cheaper. Is usenet really that great and if it is then is it better than Astraweb?
 6 years ago '05        #15
Andrefrbk 1067 heat pts1067 OP
space
space
$22,887 | Props total: 5118 5118
 S.TEX said:
ISP logs:

13 year old kid mom comes into room...

"Son our internet got caught off, you downloaded Bangbros "I luv it when you fuk my puzzy with your big toe"

Gonna be embarrassing when you gotta call up to get your internet turned back on...

"Yes sir we see here that you downloaded a file called "Brian pumper, wet stinky feet, and puzzy juice part 2"
n*gga gonna be like ummmm ummm

[pic - click to view]

Hovi Bryant said:
Can I get a source?
Thats a source its a .org and a very reputable org. You can easily Google the documents yourself.

If you want a mainstream source gl, they dont report shiit people actually need to know.

Edit...

since you consider mainstream a source here LOL

To people talking about how they would monitor. Its fairly simple. Create a filter, bittorent obviously will be a major one. Observe what users DL, if anything fishy flag them. Even if they rename the file, websites will still be flagged if its a known pirating site. The whole process can be entirely automated.

Another thing the RIAA will do is entrap people into dling stuff. By simply putting up a songs, and demanding the IP's of those who downloaded. They already do this, its called a honey pot google it.

Last edited by Andrefrbk; 05-25-2012 at 06:02 PM..
 6 years ago '10        #16
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
Bullsh*t fear mongering.
 05-25-2012, 05:44 PM         #17
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Andrefrbk said:
13 year old kid mom comes into room...

"Son our internet got caught off, you downloaded Bangbros "I luv it when you fuk my puzzy with your big toe"

Gonna be embarrassing when you gotta call up to get your internet turned back on...

"Yes sir we see here that you downloaded a file called "Brian pumper, wet stinky feet, and puzzy juice part 2"
n*gga gonna be like ummmm ummm

[pic - click to view]

fu*k that I'm gonna be on the phone like "yeah I need my sh*t turned back on, didn't get to finish getting jynx maze new video where some dude is suplexing that hoe...."

operator like

10 minutes later: we back on
 6 years ago '04        #18
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,644 | Props total: 2648 2648
 Hovi Bryant said:
Can I get a source?

6 years ago '04        #19
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
 Magic City said:
I was thinking about this, but I've seen that Astraweb is cheaper. Is usenet really that great and if it is then is it better than Astraweb?
Its great. Maxs out your internet connection. For me I can d/l a 7-10gb 1080p movie in 30 minutes or less. I currently use Astraweb as well. Cheap, good retention, SSL included.
 6 years ago '06        #20
G2MC 35 heat pts35
space
space
$3,380 | Props total: 989 989
 hockeythug said:
Its great. Maxs out your internet connection. For me I can d/l a 7-10gb 1080p movie in 30 minutes or less. I currently use Astraweb as well. Cheap, good retention, SSL included.
Thank you dude. I appreciate the info. Just out of curiosity which package do you use?
Home         

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago