Pete Rock ain't feeling Lupe's new single (TROY sample)

most viewed right now
 Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
55 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
202 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NCAAF Georgia LB Natrez Patrick was arrested for this amount of weed
26 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 NBA KD is easily the best player in the NBA
32 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '08        #81
Chief Dee 6 heat pts
space
space
$10,703 | Props total: 134 134
Growing up all my life Ive had to hear salty a.ss old school R&B fans whine about how hiphop isnt "original" music because we sample entire tracks at times. And now we have old head producers within OUR own genre and culture going down that same path accusing people of being unoriginal. The irony in this Pete Rock sh*t is AMAZING. People always complain about how the new generation dont respect the old school then get mad when a newer artist wants to cover an old school song/instrumental. Every genre does covers and song remakes. R&B artists do covers, jazz musicians do covers, rock musicians do covers, country singers do covers etc. Hiphop the only genre where you see old dudes complaining about a new artists re-doing their sh*t. ONLY in hiphop do we have these petty a.ss "you cant use my old song/instrumental" a.ss n*ggas.
 6 years ago '04        #82
WhoThaFuk 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,908 | Props total: 577 577
I think the fact that the beats sounds Identical is the issue not so much the sample it's self. Pete has no right over the sample, it's Tom Scott's music in the first place.
 6 years ago '08        #83
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,109 | Props total: 23333 23333
 Chief Dee said:
Growing up all my life Ive had to hear salty a.ss old school R&B fans whine about how hiphop isnt "original" music because we sample entire tracks at times. And now we have old head producers within OUR own genre and culture going down that same path accusing people of being unoriginal. The irony in this Pete Rock sh*t is AMAZING. People always complain about how the new generation dont respect the old school then get mad when a newer artist wants to cover an old school song/instrumental. Every genre does covers and song remakes. R&B artists do covers, jazz musicians do covers, rock musicians do covers, country singers do covers etc. Hiphop the only genre where you see old dudes complaining about a new artists re-doing their sh*t. ONLY in hiphop do we have these petty a.ss "you cant use my old song/instrumental" a.ss n*ggas.
Exactly. We've come full circle.
 6 years ago '04        #84
Young Hov 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,473 | Props total: 3 3
I didnt hear the lupe song yet, but Pete Rock needs to shut the fukk up

you dont own that sample fukkboy
 6 years ago '07        #85
KoolBreeze 9 heat pts
space
space
$6,771 | Props total: 5975 5975
 Nyse03 said:
Yo Pete you a legend...but I think you should stfu on this one. The song has already been samples 21 times. Why choose Lupe to be mad at?

Other songs that sampled Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth's They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.):

Reminisce (Bad Boy Remix) by Mary J. Blige feat. C.L. Smooth (1992)
Crazy Drunken Style by Masta Ace Incorporated (1993)
Ego Trippin' (Part Two) by De La Soul (1993)
Biological Didn't Bother (Original Flow) by Shaquille O'Neal (1994)
This One's a Girl by The Coup (1994)
Papa'z Song (Da Bastard's Remix) by 2Pac feat. Wycked and Poppi (1994)
Conquistadors by Binary Star (2000)
Reminisce by Bilal (2001)
The Listening by Little Brother (2003)
A Tribute to TROY by J. Rawls and The Liquid Crystal Project (2006)
In Remembrance of Me by Blu and Exile (2007)
I Want You by Common feat. Will.i.am (2007)
Can't Tell Me Nothing by Kanye West feat. Connie Mitchell (2007)
Clin D'Oeil by Jazz Liberatorz (2008)
Bez Granic by Pyskaty, Łona, Fu and Termanology feat. O.S.T.R., Eldo and Ero (2009)
Dope Boys by Greg Street feat. Lupe Fiasco, Wale and Kardinal Offishall (2009)
4 Be Be by Chali 2na feat. Ming Xia (2009)
Reminisce by Mann feat. Ty$ (2011)
Kawl Me (90's Remix) by Joell Ortiz feat. Novel (2011)
I Dedicate This to You by Apathy feat. Tosha Makia (2011)

And finally Lupe. I really don't see the big deal.
obviously you didnt listen to any of these songs.

pete rock met tom scott and got his blessing when he did troy. as a producer myself, i would never take a sample thats already been used, let alone an all time classic and basically make some minor changes. maybe flip the sample but it wont sound like the exact same beat
 6 years ago '08        #86
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,109 | Props total: 23333 23333
 KoolBreeze said:
obviously you didnt listen to any of these songs.

pete rock met tom scott and got his blessing when he did troy. as a producer myself, i would never take a sample thats already been used, let alone an all time classic and basically make some minor changes. maybe flip the sample but it wont sound like the exact same beat
the record is supposed to play homage to TROY tho. Its basically the rap equivalent of a cover song.
 6 years ago '04        #87
H.N.I.C. 
space
space
space
$2,946 | Props total: 211 211
ehhhh i dont think its that big of a deal
 6 years ago '05        #88
NomiS 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,121 | Props total: 28 28
If lupe didnt say he didnt vote for obama this wouldn't be going on..
 6 years ago '12        #89
TRILL SH1T 95 heat pts95
space
space
$5,854 | Props total: 3490 3490
People that sample; can not be mad at someone when they sample; especially a song that they sampled someone else from in the first place... Sorry pete, but i def don't agree with you...
 6 years ago '12        #90
TRILL SH1T 95 heat pts95
space
space
$5,854 | Props total: 3490 3490
 Chief Dee said:
THANK YOU!!!... Can't agree with Pete AT ALLL!!
 6 years ago '04        #91
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,175 | Props total: 891 891
 Jaymalls said:
This is the utter definition of “Unoriginality.” Why couldn’t they have sampled a different part of the original sample or play it over and transpose it???
Why couldn’t they have used a different tempo than the original???
Why couldn’t they have use a different drum break and/or groove than the original???
Lupe isn’t dumb nor is he one of these simple-minded rappers like Lil Wayne who don’t respect the culture. Lupe knew TROY was/is a classic… It doesn’t hurt to be original and push the envelope now-a-days.
but when he came out wit techno beats and Jazzy sh*t like on Friend of the people everybody on this site was sayin Lupe WACK!

majestic75 said:
Lupe is in his late 20s and has never even heard Midnight Marauders. He probably never heard TROY. Overrated wannabe intellectual corn.
I'd seriously doubt that, simply because of the people he's rapped with...but if you know this plz show me proof

Chief Dee said:
If Pete want to leave classics alone he would have never given TROY to Mr. Cheeks. Pete Rock dedicated TROY after a friend, then turned around and let Mr. Cheeks touch that sample in 2003 in a remix that had nothing to do with the original person it was dedicated to. Pete is a hypocrite, he just wants to force people to go through him to get samples he already used.
They actually did this song in remembrance of Freaky Tah...one of the lost boys who was k!lled a while ago....but I've heard this track on mixtapes for years...and NOW he got sumthin to say...

I dont kno...I mean in a way the cat who produced this song brought the OG track to people who've never heard it...i mean look at this thread...and if that isnt paying homage i dont know what is
 6 years ago '12        #92
Raw Silk 
space
space
$244 | Props total: 0 0
Pete Rock ain't mad that they used the same sample.He's mad about the fact they didn't try to flip it. They used the same kick same snare everything is the same. You n*ggas on boxden don't know sh*t about hip-hop.
 05-22-2012, 05:40 PM         #93
the synthesis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
A lot of the songs producers sample are probably dear and heartfelt to the people who made them....so Pete is guilty of the same sh*t
 6 years ago '04        #94
Stadium 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,352 | Props total: 2013 2013
 Ward22 said:
Lupe goal was to remake it using live instruments and new snares

Kinda like elzhi's Elmatic
The difference between Elzhi and Lupe, Elzhi reached out to Nas & the producers involved with Illmatic.

As for the folks here referring to the 'Dope Boy' joint, y'all do know that it's a mixtape joint using the original T.R.O.Y. beat. In Hip-Hop that's allowed. When you're releasing a record (not a mixtape joint, please recognize the difference) and recreating a beat exactly identical to the original flip without consent...in Hip-Hop we call that sh*t 'Plagiarism'
 6 years ago '04        #95
Stadium 15 heat pts15
space
space
 Young Hov said:
I didnt hear the lupe song yet, but Pete Rock needs to shut the fukk up

you dont own that sample fukkboy
Yes your right he does not own that sample, but that beat arrangement is entirely his. Its somewhat his rightful 'intellectual property'.
 6 years ago '04        #96
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,436 | Props total: 6498 6498
i don't think lupe or the producer was doing it in a disrespectful way. Its not like he was bullsh!ttin on the track. if anything it made people aware of the original if they didn't know it.

and people saying that lupe doesn't know what troy was are kidding themselves. i knew of the beat at least since i was 7,8 years old. then i started hearing it again on nba street vol. 2 when i was a teen. lupe is older than me so i know that he knows what it is
 05-22-2012, 10:45 PM         #97
DrX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
backpackers get on my nerves....nobody give a fu*k about his feelings....pete sampled it, and got sampled

he didn't create the original melody, he just mad hes done in the game
 6 years ago '12        #98
AK2 
space
space
$898 | Props total: 100 100
 DrX said:
backpackers get on my nerves....nobody give a fu*k about his feelings....pete sampled it, and got sampled

lol how is he done? He realeased an album with Smiff n Wessun and has projects lined up for this year and the next. You sound ignorant as fu*k. He manipulated the sample to create a jazzy hip hop beat. Lupe's producer just recreated it exactly and didn't change anything. Please read up on what art of sampling is.
 6 years ago '04        #99
Adwerdz 319 heat pts319
space
space
$32,763 | Props total: 23395 23395
damn n*ggas is wack for that, That song should of not been fu*ked with, that's an untouchable classic smh

lupe wack for that, fu*k that n*gga
 6 years ago '04        #100
Stadium 15 heat pts15
space
space
 DrX said:

He ghost produced 'Runaway' for Kanye West on MBDTF
Produced 'The Joy' on the Watch The Throne joint
Album w/Smiff N Wessun

You're in no position to be say he's done, when you yourself are a nobody.
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
87 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
21 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
43 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
99 comments
18 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
105 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
56 comments
20 hours ago