Pete Rock ain't feeling Lupe's new single (TROY sample)

most viewed right now
Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
129 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
46 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
26 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
180 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #61
Bk's Finest 
space
space
space
$923 | Props total: 34 34
IMHO I think Lupe knew what he was doing. Anyone who is in Hiphop knows TROY. If you want to have a sample of the beat fine but the whole beat??? I'm a big fan of old school hiphop and Troy was/is one of my favorite tracks. The beat is dope and even though I wasn't listening to the lyrics the original goes hard. That saxophone is crazy. There is no originality in anything these days, everyone is trying to make a buck off of the next man. I like Lupe but I grew up on Pete Rock so I'm a little biased.
 6 years ago '12        #62
Carib Breeze 28 heat pts28
space
space
$4,268 | Props total: 11 11
I kinda agree with Pete Rock but he acting a tad too bi*chy tho...... but TROY should be left alone even tho they used the original Tom Scott sample, just leave it be
 6 years ago '11        #63
Mr X 19 heat pts19
space
space
$2,261 | Props total: 219 219
no one cares
 6 years ago '12        #64
AK2 
space
space
$897 | Props total: 98 98
 drumgangP said:
AK Chill. You gotta realize we post on a forum full of insecure individuals who feel the need to put on a clown show for other n*ggas here. Its a million threads on this site....ask yourself why would someone be so inclined to comment on one and/or its featured comments that they have no interest in....? The clown show has to perform for someone, just kick back, laugh at it, and have fun with it
I am a serious person personality wise, but I also appreciate good humour. I took it seriously when he didn't post a decent reply (either agreeing with you or disagreeing). I'm new to this site so excuse me for my outburst. I should have ignored him like many of the wack posts on this site. You are one of the few posters that post some good insigthful posts. on this forum whether I agree with you or not .
 6 years ago '06        #65
LYTE 125 heat pts125
space
space
space
$14,121 | Props total: 4703 4703
oh boy
these people complain to much.

I didnt hear the lupe song yet. & idr how old i was when TROY came out(born in 81)but I remember loving the music not really paying attention to the lyrics BUT i.....F it. it doesnt matter
 6 years ago '08        #66
Da_Crew2k9 132 heat pts132
space
space
space
$2,996 | Props total: 2366 2366
 DrX said:
"When itís like that it should not be touched by no one! Itís so hard for folks to make original music"

pete rock need to stfu....dude made a career outta sampling
^^^^ everybody sample this n*gga bi*ching bout it i hate old hip hop head like he never sample anything
 6 years ago '06        #67
LYTE 125 heat pts125
space
space
space
$14,121 | Props total: 4703 4703
QUOTE=drumgangP;23340842]Lupes version was horrible.

And people in this thread obviously are to stupid to understand...this isnt about the sample, hell it really aint even about the beat...The song was dedicated to people who had passed and the sh*t was personal to him.

If your brother or best friend died and u made a heartfelt song to him....would you want some young n*gga to come along trying to flip it 20 years later trying to capitalize off the sh*t?

I mean Puffys "Missing You" was a sample...but if Game or someone redid that sh*t yall would be ready to hang the n*gga. Hell if Diggy ever touched Kanyes "Hey Mama" or Pacs "Dear Mama" 10-15 years from now i'd be ready to strangle the little dude.

Leave the classics alone. it aint about the sample, its about the history of the record
[/QUOTE]

it depends. As long as they arent going over the sample with ignorance then it is cool. The thing about music is, it produces feelings. I didnt see no blogs when lupe did "Dopeboyz" over this beat years ago

So TROY probably created an emotion that Lupe only felt he could of captured with that EXACT beat.

my thing is Im wondering if Pete is mad cause it is an actual song over the beat that is gaining attention or the beat & lack of creativity in the production biz? Cause if Lupe freestyled or laid a song down but called it a "freestyle" over this beat, would Pete make a big deal out of it?

If i was a producer, I would love for motherfu*kers to be lame so I can trump them grand.

i didnt hear Lupe 2nd attempt over this beat to know what he is talking about.

Last edited by LYTE; 05-22-2012 at 08:59 AM..
 6 years ago '12        #68
DoMieD 5 heat pts
space
space
$46,982 | Props total: 1244 1244
Dude is a hypocrite.

If you don't want people using your sh*t don't give clearance.

If no clearance was given then it's probably not even gonna be on his album Anyway.

It's so retarded to think that certain songs can't be re done.

They aren't ALWAYS gonna be worse.

Just shut the fu*k up and enjoy the music. It's not that serious. If anything Lupe is payIng homage to you and just made you relevant again for 10 minutes after being completely irrelevant for 10 years.
 6 years ago '04        #69
Kaliz ChamP 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,687 | Props total: 529 529

[video - click to view]

Umm, why he didn't say anything about this. No need to be salty now
 6 years ago '05        #70
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,830 | Props total: 4096 4096
I think the thing is that whoever produced this new version didn't try to put a new spin on it, and didn't even try to make it sound any different from the original version. It's lazy. Someone mention Puffy's "Missing You" track, and that's another one that's lazy in my eyes, because almost nothing was changed or flipped to distinguish it from the original sample.

DrX said:
man nobody dont care about pete rock

premo / rza>>>>>>>>>>one trick boring soul beat pony
So, I see your dumbass comments are not just reserved for my reviews.

6 years ago '07        #71
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,321 | Props total: 1109 1109
I understand what the beat means to Pete and hip hop in general but n*ggas are actin like Lupe didnt do the beat justice.. Aint like he got on the beat and disrespected it by spitting nonsense.. Did Pete even listen to the bars? Even though Pete's beef is really with the producer he should acknowledge atleast that and let that sh*t slide....
 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM         #72
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
he doesnt like it when nerds turn his poor black man rap MUSIC
into white boy suburb rap
 6 years ago '11        #73
PotheadFocker 169 heat pts169
space
space
$33,313 | Props total: 8431 8431
 bigree61 said:
he doesnt like it when nerds turn his poor black man rap MUSIC
into white boy suburb rap
You musta got r*ped by a white guy ay?????
 6 years ago '04        #74
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,744 | Props total: 1555 1555
 bigree61 said:
nobody from the hood does
fu*k the hood though
 6 years ago '06        #75
tdc320 
space
space
$1,488 | Props total: 707 707
 MOTM said:
Honest question though, wouldn't the label have had to have gotten the sample approved by him?

If so, why be mad now?
Not really because this is the sample.

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #76
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,744 | Props total: 1555 1555
 ChiCity Fingaz said:
Of course 9th is up in arms about it, Pete Rock is basically that n*gga idol.

Yall gotta see where Pete coming from though. Dude made that beat during a bad period of his life, and it became one of the best hip hop records of all time. Not everybody knows who Pete Rock or CL Smooth is but EVERYBODY knows T.R.O.Y. And the dude who did the beat for Lupe just made a slight change and called it a day, that's his beef.

At the same time, hip hop is never going to progress if the past never lets people. Pete is basically trashing a producer that he doesn't even know. The dude could actually be good and he's not even giving him a chance and judging him off 1 beat that was clearly designed to pay homage rather than disrespect. Especially considering Pete doesn't own the sample. Unless you're Tom Scott you really don't have any place to put dude on blast like that.

How would Pete feel if Tom Scott came out and said TROY was hot garbage? Exactly.
this this and NOTHING BUT THIS!!!
 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM         #77
Got Cheeve? 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Old Heads LOST.

and btw I'm 26.
 6 years ago '05        #78
Philly B 41 heat pts41
space
space
$5,570 | Props total: 38 38
Definitely understandable where he's coming from. He shouldnt have as big a problem with Lupe as he should with the producer. Dude straight jacked his beat and didn't change sh*t.
 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM         #79
freakbucket 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ummm, don't Lupe and Wale have a song called dope boy over this beat already?

people can't make original beats? People make beats without samples everyday. Thousands of them. I'm sure whoever used this beat had made hundreds of original beats.

not to mention, pete rock sampled this beat himself. This isn't really a sample, it's more like a rapper free-styling over a beat. and I'm sure hundreds of rappers, maybe thousands, both known and unknown to Pete Rock, have rapped over this.

Last edited by freakbucket; 05-22-2012 at 12:09 PM..
 6 years ago '08        #80
Soda Pop 7 heat pts
space
space
$10,023 | Props total: 5085 5085
Pete Rock meet Tom Scott.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
44 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
95 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
56 comments
20 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
59 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
130 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside XXXTentacion gets 7 more charges added to his case and asks fans to sho..
93 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy