Pete Rock ain't feeling Lupe's new single (TROY sample)

most viewed right now
 40
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
27 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 39
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
132 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 31
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
179 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 29
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
42 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #41
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
avatar space
space
$27,749 | Props total: 16554 16554
To everybody who asked if Lupe would have had to get the sample cleared by Pete..






Y'all can't be for real
 6 years ago '05        #42
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$8,042 | Props total: 817 817

[video - click to view]

 6 years ago '04        #43
Barcode 7 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$3,145 | Props total: 27 27
Definitely just made a top 10 list & forgot about this song.
& its crazy how some of the younger generation never heard this song.
Better late than never though. . .
 6 years ago '08        #44
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
avatar space
space
$40,101 | Props total: 23316 23316
 Jaymalls said:
This is the utter definition of “Unoriginality.” Why couldn’t they have sampled a different part of the original sample or play it over and transpose it???
Why couldn’t they have used a different tempo than the original???
Why couldn’t they have use a different drum break and/or groove than the original???
Lupe isn’t dumb nor is he one of these simple-minded rappers like Lil Wayne who don’t respect the culture. Lupe knew TROY was/is a classic… It doesn’t hurt to be original and push the envelope now-a-days.
you don't see the irony in using the word original when talking about sampling?


Last edited by Arson; 05-22-2012 at 04:02 AM..
 6 years ago '08        #45
knAwle3ge 73 heat pts73
space
avatar space
space
$6,244 | Props total: 385 385
Pete sampled the beat and did a great job..

Lu producer stole the exact same sample and did a great job...

 05-22-2012, 04:22 AM         #46
drumgangP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lupes version was horrible.


And people in this thread obviously are to stupid to understand...this isnt about the sample, hell it really aint even about the beat...The song was dedicated to people who had passed and the sh*t was personal to him.

If your brother or best friend died and u made a heartfelt song to him....would you want some young n*gga to come along trying to flip it 20 years later trying to capitalize off the sh*t?

I mean Puffys "Missing You" was a sample...but if Game or someone redid that sh*t yall would be ready to hang the n*gga. Hell if Diggy ever touched Kanyes "Hey Mama" or Pacs "Dear Mama" 10-15 years from now i'd be ready to strangle the little dude.


Leave the classics alone. it aint about the sample, its about the history of the record
 6 years ago '11        #47
PotheadFocker 169 heat pts169
space
avatar space
space
$33,316 | Props total: 8438 8438
 drumgangP said:
Lupes version was horrible.


And people in this thread obviously are to stupid to understand...this isnt about the sample, hell it really aint even about the beat...The song was dedicated to people who had passed and the sh*t was personal to him.

If your brother or best friend died and u made a heartfelt song to him....would you want some young n*gga to come along trying to flip it 20 years later trying to capitalize off the sh*t?

I mean Puffys "Missing You" was a sample...but if Game or someone redid that sh*t yall would be ready to hang the n*gga. Hell if Diggy ever touched Kanyes "Hey Mama" or Pacs "Dear Mama" 10-15 years from now i'd be ready to strangle the little dude.


Leave the classics alone. it aint about the sample, its about the history of the record

[pic - click to view]



Last edited by PotheadFocker; 05-22-2012 at 04:39 AM..
 6 years ago '12        #48
AK2 
space
avatar space
space
$898 | Props total: 100 100
 PotheadFocker said:

[pic - click to view]

you are a f*g. he was speaking some real sh*t and you're posting that gif has a reply. It is either you commented on what he said or just didn't reply at all you lame a.ss n*gga.
 05-22-2012, 04:52 AM         #49
Prophecy_projet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Samplers gonna get sampled. I understand Pete's upset but I dont think he was trying bastardize it or make people forget the original classic song.
 6 years ago '06        #50
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
avatar space
space
$7,361 | Props total: 4635 4635
 ChickBoss414 said:



Whoever owns the rights to this song has to clear the sample in terms of licensing and publishing..
maaaaaaan Black Sheep sampled this song too. Similac Child or some sh*t. I used to go through my older brothers CDs
 6 years ago '04        #51
SCENE 7 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,162 | Props total: 104 104
Fiascogate II
 6 years ago '04        #52
GLADHEATER 
space
avatar space
space
$719 | Props total: 58 58

[video - click to view]

 6 years ago '05        #53
Nyse03 14 heat pts14
space
avatar space
space
$10,430 | Props total: 2902 2902
Yo Pete you a legend...but I think you should stfu on this one. The song has already been samples 21 times. Why choose Lupe to be mad at?


Other songs that sampled Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth's They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.):

Reminisce (Bad Boy Remix) by Mary J. Blige feat. C.L. Smooth (1992)
Crazy Drunken Style by Masta Ace Incorporated (1993)
Ego Trippin' (Part Two) by De La Soul (1993)
Biological Didn't Bother (Original Flow) by Shaquille O'Neal (1994)
This One's a Girl by The Coup (1994)
Papa'z Song (Da Bastard's Remix) by 2Pac feat. Wycked and Poppi (1994)
Conquistadors by Binary Star (2000)
Reminisce by Bilal (2001)
The Listening by Little Brother (2003)
A Tribute to TROY by J. Rawls and The Liquid Crystal Project (2006)
In Remembrance of Me by Blu and Exile (2007)
I Want You by Common feat. Will.i.am (2007)
Can't Tell Me Nothing by Kanye West feat. Connie Mitchell (2007)
Clin D'Oeil by Jazz Liberatorz (2008)
Bez Granic by Pyskaty, Łona, Fu and Termanology feat. O.S.T.R., Eldo and Ero (2009)
Dope Boys by Greg Street feat. Lupe Fiasco, Wale and Kardinal Offishall (2009)
4 Be Be by Chali 2na feat. Ming Xia (2009)
Reminisce by Mann feat. Ty$ (2011)
Kawl Me (90's Remix) by Joell Ortiz feat. Novel (2011)
I Dedicate This to You by Apathy feat. Tosha Makia (2011)

And finally Lupe. I really don't see the big deal.
 05-22-2012, 06:41 AM         #54
blackdynamite1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I Agree with Pete Rock on that one. He has every right to have a personal connection with his work.
 6 years ago '05        #55
Maaad Man 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,143 | Props total: 46 46
 Nyse03 said:
Yo Pete you a legend...but I think you should stfu on this one. The song has already been samples 21 times. Why choose Lupe to be mad at?


Other songs that sampled Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth's They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.):

Reminisce (Bad Boy Remix) by Mary J. Blige feat. C.L. Smooth (1992)
Crazy Drunken Style by Masta Ace Incorporated (1993)
Ego Trippin' (Part Two) by De La Soul (1993)
Biological Didn't Bother (Original Flow) by Shaquille O'Neal (1994)
This One's a Girl by The Coup (1994)
Papa'z Song (Da Bastard's Remix) by 2Pac feat. Wycked and Poppi (1994)
Conquistadors by Binary Star (2000)
Reminisce by Bilal (2001)
The Listening by Little Brother (2003)
A Tribute to TROY by J. Rawls and The Liquid Crystal Project (2006)
In Remembrance of Me by Blu and Exile (2007)
I Want You by Common feat. Will.i.am (2007)
Can't Tell Me Nothing by Kanye West feat. Connie Mitchell (2007)
Clin D'Oeil by Jazz Liberatorz (2008)
Bez Granic by Pyskaty, Łona, Fu and Termanology feat. O.S.T.R., Eldo and Ero (2009)
Dope Boys by Greg Street feat. Lupe Fiasco, Wale and Kardinal Offishall (2009)
4 Be Be by Chali 2na feat. Ming Xia (2009)
Reminisce by Mann feat. Ty$ (2011)
Kawl Me (90's Remix) by Joell Ortiz feat. Novel (2011)
I Dedicate This to You by Apathy feat. Tosha Makia (2011)



And finally Lupe. I really don't see the big deal.
You couldn't listen to a few songs first, bruh?
 05-22-2012, 06:50 AM         #56
drumgangP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 PotheadFocker said:

[pic - click to view]

 AK2 said:
you are a f*g. he was speaking some real sh*t and you're posting that gif has a reply. It is either you commented on what he said or just didn't reply at all you lame a.ss n*gga.
AK Chill. You gotta realize we post on a forum full of insecure individuals who feel the need to put on a clown show for other n*ggas here. Its a million threads on this site....ask yourself why would someone be so inclined to comment on one and/or its featured comments that they have no interest in....? The clown show has to perform for someone, just kick back, laugh at it, and have fun with it
 6 years ago '04        #57
EscoNore 67 heat pts67
space
avatar space
space
$11,446 | Props total: 172 172
Idk how to really feel about this...I understand what Pete Rock is saying, but at the same time, sampling is such a huge part of hip hop. There's probably a ton of songs that have been sampled, which probably meant a lot to the original artist as well.

TROY is a classic, but so is In the Air by Phil Collins...I don't think Phil is trippin' over the samples. idk how else to explain it lol
 6 years ago '04        #58
Ice Cold 26 heat pts26
space
avatar space
space
$3,724 | Props total: 325 325
Classic!
 6 years ago '09        #59
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
avatar space
space
$21,079 | Props total: 1815 1815
I've maybe listened to that TROY song possibly once in the last 10 yrs. That's not to show ignorance or unawareness but I don't like the sh*t as a personal preference. I don't like the Lupe sh*t either (The original sample is smooth as hell tho btw).

I can understand where he's coming from though b/c they sound like the exact same beats. He could have approached it another way though. Reached out to Lupe or Lupe could have reached out to him, or whatever.

Large Professor >>> All these n*ggas tho.
 6 years ago '08        #60
Chief Dee 6 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$10,703 | Props total: 134 134
 drumgangP said:
Lupes version was horrible.


And people in this thread obviously are to stupid to understand...this isnt about the sample, hell it really aint even about the beat...The song was dedicated to people who had passed and the sh*t was personal to him.

If your brother or best friend died and u made a heartfelt song to him....would you want some young n*gga to come along trying to flip it 20 years later trying to capitalize off the sh*t?

I mean Puffys "Missing You" was a sample...but if Game or someone redid that sh*t yall would be ready to hang the n*gga. Hell if Diggy ever touched Kanyes "Hey Mama" or Pacs "Dear Mama" 10-15 years from now i'd be ready to strangle the little dude.


Leave the classics alone. it aint about the sample, its about the history of the record
If Pete want to leave classics alone he would have never given TROY to Mr. Cheeks. Pete Rock dedicated TROY after a friend, then turned around and let Mr. Cheeks touch that sample in 2003 in a remix that had nothing to do with the original person it was dedicated to. Pete is a hypocrite, he just wants to force people to go through him to get samples he already used.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 20
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
87 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 20
LIL FLIP shows $1,000,000 worth of JEWELRY!!!!!!
91 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 14
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
47 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 9
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
95 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 6
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
70 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
 6
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
56 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
 4
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
72 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 4
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
295 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy