College is a scam!!

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
57 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Akademiks bout that Twitch Irl life.
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
70 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #41
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18
 Andrefrbk said:
what do you do? Ima bio major def not looking at 6 figures.

Im interested in biomedical research atm.
Finished professional school. A undergrad Bio degree will get you stocking labs for 20k a year the rest of your life, absolutely worthless in 9 out of 10 situations. Most of my friends are doctors and other medical professionals while others stopped after undergrad and cant find jobs

Biomedical research is hot if you can get an engineering degree to back it, my cousin did that and makes 70k first year out of undergrad. Otherwise, I would push for a public health job with a bio background

Anyone with a general ed degree got schemed on
 6 years ago '07        #42
Goosie McNeen 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,755 | Props total: 761 761
i am a proud new member of the default club.

they hit me at the job last week
 6 years ago '09        #43
blacknacirema4 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,095 | Props total: 382 382
 whammy said:
If I don't go to college, how can I pledge Moo Phi Moo?
 6 years ago '06        #44
TheKastOne 
space
space
$2,083 | Props total: 270 270
 Arson said:
I really don't understand how some people have amassed 100k+ in debt while getting a liberal arts degree.
Private colleges generally charge more and "guarantee" better results in employment. Top it off with an interest cherry.

WillieMaysHayes said:
you dont need to go to a top notch school to get an education.

go somewhere where you can afford
Even then, tuition rates are going up on a consistent basis and someone is making that profit.
 6 years ago '10        #45
Space 2020 14 heat pts14
space
space
$2,757 | Props total: 164 164
Stop going to these bullsh*t schools and it won't be a scam. If the school has a commercial on TV its not worth sh*t imo

Alot of ppl graduated and enrolled in schools like devry, ivy tech, ect. those schools don't help you network(Because its mostly just local people) and most people don't respect the degree. Do research and look for colleges that are known in the field your trying to go into.

I go to Purdue(One of the top engineering schools in the nation) and I know if I dropped out today as a senior I could apply everything I've learned here and still network to make a good living.

And stay in state if you can, out of state tuition can be high
 6 years ago '05        #46
phantomnation 2093 heat pts2093
space
space
$6,497 | Props total: 18774 18774
 casper said:
the student loan problem directly ties into the job market...people go to school to get good jobs....good jobs laid off experienced workers for mid-level workers(with less experience), & possibly some people fresh out of school...but there are way more people graduating college or tech schools then there is job openings...add to that people these days cant retire as early as they a.ssumed, so they need to stay working, which limits even more jobs to people fresh out of school
 6 years ago '06        #47
Yung Dilla 1479 heat pts1479
space
space
$54,901 | Props total: 25739 25739
paying on a 25k loan got it down to 19 and some change smh
 6 years ago '04        #48
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,808 | Props total: 1472 1472
 Mintz said:
Honestly, from my experience... Your experience and skill set>>>>>>>your major. I finished school with an international business major and finance minor and when I got out I was able to get IT job offers and even an engineering internship b/c of the fact that in high school and in college I did computer programming on the side along with IT consulting work while in college. Employers didn't even look at my major, they looked at my experiences and skills.

Edit: also knowing someone who can get you on helps greatly, along with networking and internships. You have to use the degree as a marketing tool and not as something that solely controls your destiny. In my opinion, if you have the right skills and experience, you should be fine regardless of what you study as an undergrad unless it's something like fine arts. I know someone who works for the government who had a comm degree for fu*ks sake and makes a nice living.
Half of the people who are like VP's and sh*t at companies are like History and Art majors, but they know people to put them in that place and have the experience.

I will put people on game.

1) College is all about how you do it. Don't go off to a 4 year university for 4 years. Go to JR College for like 2-3 years and then go to four year. Also, try to get scholarships and grants to help out. Try for a school who offers flat-rate tuition my school offered that people only had to go to college for like 2 semesters (taking like 6 classes at a time). Don't accept what you don't need. People be only needing like a thousand dollars and accept like 7. I left college with less than like 3K in debt and was in college for 5 years.

2) A college degree will always help you get that first position. Most of the times, when I networked with a lot of big time people first question they asked was if I had that education. I cannot preach this anymore NETWORK YOUR a.ss OFF meet everyone.

3) Be willing to relocate half of these people who are complaining are doing just that complaining. Be willing to move to a place where the job market is better. If your in GA where jobs are hard to come by move to Texas.

4) Work on your Interview skills, learn how to make someone believe in you. Not just answer question like u would off the internet.
 05-14-2012, 03:06 PM         #49
freakbucket 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
As a person that does not like the pre-reqs in college (taking classes that have nothing to do with your major), I do not think it's a scam. For one, you don't have to be in debt. There are kids right now, working their a.sses off in high school to get full scholarships. NO DEBT. Secondly, while LOTS of people make above the poverty line without a degree, MOST don't. For every one CEO you find with no degree, there are 1,000 who have atleast one.

DOes college costs too much? HELL YEA. But nobody makes you do it the way they tell you to. My cousin went to community college first, all paid for by the government, then transferred to a 4 year to save money + he got more scholarships for having a 4.0 on the deans lists at the community college. You gotta pimp the system.
 6 years ago '05        #50
Andrefrbk 1067 heat pts1067
space
space
$22,888 | Props total: 5124 5124
40% of college grads dont have a job...

Most of them at home like
 6 years ago '05        #51
Nasty Nate 21 heat pts21
space
space
$4,736 | Props total: 22 22
What's a good degree to get if someone like myself is horrible at math?
 6 years ago '04        #52
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 Andrefrbk said:

Because they won't get off their a.ss and try to find one... They just spend all their days listen to the news and complaining...
 6 years ago '10        #53
ColeWorld 42 heat pts42
space
space
$10,622 | Props total: 1617 1617
 J Rob said:
THIS!!!!!!

I think most of the people who complain about college being a scam attended one those University of Phoenix/DeVry type colleges....in that case, yeah, y'all got fu*ked.

just go to one of local Universities.....I know tuition is high as fu*k now, but really think college is the best way to go if you're thinking long term....who knows how the job market will be 10-15 years from now. That degree might come in handy
UW college system ftw
 6 years ago '10        #54
Space 2020 14 heat pts14
space
space
$2,757 | Props total: 164 164
 Andrefrbk said:

That number includes every college in the united states I a.ssume. Which inflates the unemployment percentages.

Most people just go to college and don't have a plan. It may be because they don't have the outside push(From parents and such) or they just are lazy.

You gotta push yourself to be successful.

I wonder how many people with just a high school degree are unemployed or barley making over minimum wage

I don't understand the argument against college. Go to a GOOD one network and improve your human capital and go into the real world and apply what you have learned! Not hard, doors don't open themselves!

Talk, hustle, push, kick, DO SOMETHIN Just because you put in a few resumes to a couple of jobs and don't get hired people automatically think the job market is fu*ked and college is a scam. ITS NOT and YES THERE IS A HUMAN CAPITAL BUBBLE BUT OPTIONS ARE LIMITED THIS DAY AND AGE SO CHOOSE YOU BEST OPTION
 6 years ago '04        #55
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
Additionally with my current advice I wanna add something.

I believe most of those people who have high amount of debt. Probably have more then just college debt probably have credit card and other types of debt. They are just bad with managing money. Some of this stuff is just simply about weighing out your options. Most of those people lack those skills though.
 6 years ago '04        #56
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 Space 2020 said:
That number includes every college in the united states I a.ssume. Which inflates the unemployment percentages.

Most people just go to college and don't have a plan. It may be because they don't have the outside push(From parents and such) or they just are lazy.

You gotta push yourself to be successful.

I wonder how many people with just a high school degree are unemployed or barley making over minimum wage

I don't understand the argument against college. Go to a GOOD one network and improve your human capital and go into the real world and apply what you have learned! Not hard, doors don't open themselves!

Talk, hustle, push, kick, DO SOMETHIN Just because you put in a few resumes to a couple of jobs and don't get hired people automatically think the job market is fu*ked and college is a scam. ITS NOT and YES THERE IS A HUMAN CAPITAL BUBBLE BUT OPTIONS ARE LIMITED THIS DAY AND AGE SO CHOOSE YOU BEST OPTION
I think a lot of people in college are book smart and are missing that by any means necessary mentally. They just think just because they got the degree they will get a job easy as 123.
 6 years ago '11        #57
Kadillac87 225 heat pts225
space
space
$17,495 | Props total: 6665 6665
 nasty Nate said:
What's a good degree to get if someone like myself is horrible at math?
It depends on your interest man. Never pick your major based on economic decisions alone. You'll end up hating what you do and your life will be miserable. Determine where you want to be in 5 years and determine different paths that can lead you there. Got to do your research, plan, execute and network.
 6 years ago '11        #58
Kadillac87 225 heat pts225
space
space
$17,495 | Props total: 6665 6665
And college costs keep increasing because the people who already have their degrees always decide to cut education funding first to keep their pockets lined.
 6 years ago '07        #59
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18
Yall also gotta realize your competing against a bigger workforce too. Lots of the baby boomers are pushing off retirement for 5, 10 years because 1) Health is much improved and they can physically last longer and 2) Retirement is a generational dream and they are working to save every last penny and dollar since the 2008 financial situation. Thats a massive population bubble that has experience and connections most college grads dont have

Bottomline, rules of the game changed. The american dream is much different than it was during your parents time and its changing very quickly, if you dont stay competitive, youll lose out. College is just another tool to better yourself and those for profit schools saw an opportunity and scheme on all the people from lower social classes for their savings.
 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM         #60
Cowboys All Day 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
College is what you make it, I wouldn't say it's a "scam" really. A college degree will show any prospective employers that you can be dedicated and work hard to achieve a very important goal. Like others have said it's also where you can make the most important connections of your life. My degree was only a formality for my current job, most of it was rooming with the firm's owner's son my last 2 years of college. We became good friends and he hooked me up, now the sky is the limit, I will go as far as my work ethic will take me. Being 21 and having this type of job security is something else... I seriously may never work for another firm in my life. Also having more money than I know what to do with is a trip (not a millionaire or anything but much more money than any 21 year old SHOULD have, I never really had that luxury of "buying sh*t when I wanted" growing up so it's something I enjoy every now and then). I still plan on going back to school to further my education here in a year or so. I talk to friends from highschool on facebook and sh*t or read some of their status updates... it's kind of like "Am I the only one around here who knows what the fu*k I'm doin with my life?"

I got lucky, I'll admit it. I have friends from college who received more advanced degrees than myself and they are working at target or walmart making less than 10 bucks an hour... fu*kin shame man but not everyone can be dealt a good hand , kind of one of those "right place right time" sort of things... feel bad for them too, they deserve better. That being said, nobody ever said you are guaranteed a job with your degree.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
54 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
89 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy