What benefit do artists gain in having a DJ host their mixtape in this era of rap.

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
88 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
57 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
258 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
119 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #1
16427 pageviews
22 comments

unotready 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,104 | Props total: 16 16
What benefit do artists gain in having a DJ host their mixtape in this era of rap.

It seems like we're in a new independent era of rap where the artist is in more control of his destiny and creative process as well as business/marketing. There seems to be a mixed sentiment in the rap game right now with having dj's host their tapes. I notice many artists releasing tapes w/o a DJ, but I also see many artists continuing the old aged theme of allowing a DJ to mix their songs while shouting their slogans and adlibs through out the artists material.

How does an up and coming unsigned artist benefit from getting a well known DJ to host their tape? Is the DJ expected to make famous internet blogs play the music off the tape? Will the blogs be forced to put this unknown artists music on their sites or are they allowed to decline if its wack.

Now how does the well known artist benefit from this? such as 50 cent, Jadakiss, Game .. etc. Why are they still doing this, especially when you have guys like Lloyd Banks, Big KRIT, J Cole, Mac Miller, Asap Rocky releasing mixtapes w/o a dj

22 comments for "What benefit do artists gain in having a DJ host their mixtape in this era of rap."

6 years ago '05        #2
Gm0ney85 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,727 | Props total: 2180 2180
you gotta look at the level of the rapper and the level of the dj...you wouldnt go down to a lower rapper/DJ if you up with the best of the best..

djs got pull...rappers got pull...

they dont share the same lane.. so its a win-win...
 6 years ago '10        #3
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,561 | Props total: 5916 5916
 Gm0ney85 said:
you gotta look at the level of the rapper and the level of the dj...you wouldnt go down to a lower rapper/DJ if you up with the best of the best..

djs got pull...rappers got pull...

they dont share the same lane.. so its a win-win...
Exactly. It all depends on who the DJ is. If it's some random a.ss dude that has no clout then it's pretty much pointless.
 6 years ago '04        #4
DSOM 37 heat pts37
space
space
$18,326 | Props total: 416 416
promotion
 6 years ago '09        #5
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,316 | Props total: 7974 7974
i actually agree

its pointless

why have someone drop a mixtape with a dj when all the fans do is spend the next 2 weeks searching for a No Dj Version

if you want a dj, cool but also drop a no dj version so the fans can choose, some people say dj's hype tracks up but i dont want to hear that nonsense
 04-28-2012, 11:19 AM         #6
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I don't think a DJ matters anymore, we aren't in that era no more. Back when people used to download mixtapes based on the DJ name.

I could drop a mixtape with DJ Drama right now and no one would give two fu*ks.
 6 years ago '06        #7
unotready 7 heat pts OP
space
space
space
 Ant McQueen said:
Exactly. It all depends on who the DJ is. If it's some random a.ss dude that has no clout then it's pretty much pointless.
I know, i'm only speaking about getting well known DJ's.
 6 years ago '06        #8
unotready 7 heat pts OP
space
space
space
I just feel like DJ's ruin the vibe of the mixtape and prevent an artist from establishing a certain tone or feel to the tape. Then again, many artists probably don't even plan on doing so and just place a bunch of songs they feel were best into a compilation tape.

It's annoying as fu*k to hear them shouting all over the music, and I noticed DJ Drama toned it down on Jadakiss latest tape
 6 years ago '05        #9
Flatbush85 54 heat pts54
space
space
$14,388 | Props total: 697 697
hold on guys lets k!ll off mixtape DJ's. Its them you want k!lled off.

:greetings10: lets us actual DJ's rock.
 6 years ago '04        #10
MegaTON 22 heat pts22
space
space
$24,111 | Props total: 289 289
if i see a new rapper with a decent cover and i see "hosted by don cannon" i'll prolly check it out, if it's some n*gga actin hard in front of a spaceship parked outside of his projects hosted by "don dada frank white" i'm not even gonna bother
 6 years ago '06        #11
unotready 7 heat pts OP
space
space
space
 MegaTON said:
if i see a new rapper with a decent cover and i see "hosted by don cannon" i'll prolly check it out, if it's some n*gga actin hard in front of a spaceship parked outside of his projects hosted by "don dada frank white" i'm not even gonna bother

@ acting hard infront of a spaceship parked outside of his projects.. LOL so true..
 6 years ago '05        #12
Dun Language 3971 heat pts3971
space
space
$75,928 | Props total: 30321 30321
if its not whoo kid, dj drama, dj skee. its no point

my boy paid dj onpoint 900 and i told him why have a dj just let it sound like a album
he didnt listen and the mixtape didnt make it past his block in fact he still has the cds sitting under his desk..

his 2nd mixtape he paid superstar jay 500 and he asked superstar jay to help get it on livemixtapes
and jay made all sorts of excuses and i told him just do a no dj and if its good livemixtapes will get it.

he didnt listen again...he spent 500 for a dj....he got royalnyc on here to do a cover...waisted royalnyc time and his money just to go to another dude who charged 150
and he only pressed up 20 cds and got 20 downloads.

so in total he spent about 1,000 on a cd just to do nothing with it

if the dj aint putting footwork in with me why host my cd
paying for a cosign is the corniest sh*t ever
 6 years ago '05        #13
Dun Language 3971 heat pts3971
space
space
$75,928 | Props total: 30321 30321
mixtape djs fu*ked the game up anyway. fu*k a mixtape dj

remember when n*ggas use to pay 500 to get on big mike
and mike just threw them at the bottom of the tape
 6 years ago '06        #14
unotready 7 heat pts OP
space
space
space
 CashNy said:
if its not whoo kid, dj drama, dj skee. its no point

my boy paid dj onpoint 900 and i told him why have a dj just let it sound like a album
he didnt listen and the mixtape didnt make it past his block in fact he still has the cds sitting under his desk..

his 2nd mixtape he paid superstar jay 500 and he asked superstar jay to help get it on livemixtapes
and jay made all sorts of excuses and i told him just do a no dj and if its good livemixtapes will get it.

he didnt listen again...he spent 500 for a dj....he got royalnyc on here to do a cover...waisted royalnyc time and his money just to go to another dude who charged 150
and he only pressed up 20 cds and got 20 downloads.

so in total he spent about 1,000 on a cd just to do nothing with it

if the dj aint putting footwork in with me why host my cd
paying for a cosign is the corniest sh*t ever
The good thing about those 3 djs you named is they all have their own radio station program with listeners, so they can possibly play the music of the artist they hosted for right? Unless his sh*t wack lol.. but damn, I feel bad for your friend. Wasted all that money
 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM         #15
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Not knocking the DJ's hustle, but you can pay around $500 for a clean music video and that will probably generate views on Youtube. Then just link your mixtape in the description. Or you can pay someone to upload your video on their popular channel.

DJ's should have made a transition to Youtube like DJ Vlad, then paying a DJ would be worth it again because then they could let you upload your video to their channel and give the cosign. But the DJ would actually have to like the artist because I'm sure they're not just going to slap anything on their page.

Youtube is like running your own fu*king TV station if you can get it off the ground.
 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM         #16
drumgangP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 unotready said:
It seems like we're in a new independent era of rap where the artist is in more control of his destiny and creative process as well as business/marketing. There seems to be a mixed sentiment in the rap game right now with having dj's host their tapes. I notice many artists releasing tapes w/o a DJ, but I also see many artists continuing the old aged theme of allowing a DJ to mix their songs while shouting their slogans and adlibs through out the artists material.

How does an up and coming unsigned artist benefit from getting a well known DJ to host their tape? Is the DJ expected to make famous internet blogs play the music off the tape? Will the blogs be forced to put this unknown artists music on their sites or are they allowed to decline if its wack.

Now how does the well known artist benefit from this? such as 50 cent, Jadakiss, Game .. etc. Why are they still doing this, especially when you have guys like Lloyd Banks, Big KRIT, J Cole, Mac Miller, Asap Rocky releasing mixtapes w/o a dj
Wiz Khalifa Kush x OJ was the final bomb that made listeners not wanna hear mixtape DJ's...Alot of DJ's lost ground after he dropped that tape

I been a business partner with DJ Smallz for 2 and a half years now....1 of the things that I appreciate is the fact that when he works with a major artist on a tape...he doesnt just yell over tracks and do cutbacks and such...He gets in the lab with the artist and pretty much A&R's the project and such....A Good DJ will promote the sh*t out of you and work the sh*t out of the mixtape.

I've done business with Superstar Jay, Big Mike, Cannon, Smallz, Drama, and am about to get DJ Ill Will to host a tape for an artist im producing for....They all have their benefits and problems.

A good young DJ to look out for is DJ Capcom...he posts on here sometimes...Dude does a great job of promoting his tapes..and hell he did the early Mac Miller Tapes, now Mac is where hes at...and he also did the material for Rocky Diamonds...now hes signed to Polow Da Don ....Definitely recommend getting at dude
 6 years ago '06        #17
unotready 7 heat pts OP
space
space
space
 drumgangP said:
Wiz Khalifa Kush x OJ was the final bomb that made listeners not wanna hear mixtape DJ's...Alot of DJ's lost ground after he dropped that tape

I been a business partner with DJ Smallz for 2 and a half years now....1 of the things that I appreciate is the fact that when he works with a major artist on a tape...he doesnt just yell over tracks and do cutbacks and such...He gets in the lab with the artist and pretty much A&R's the project and such....A Good DJ will promote the sh*t out of you and work the sh*t out of the mixtape.

I've done business with Superstar Jay, Big Mike, Cannon, Smallz, Drama, and am about to get DJ Ill Will to host a tape for an artist im producing for....They all have their benefits and problems.

A good young DJ to look out for is DJ Capcom...he posts on here sometimes...Dude does a great job of promoting his tapes..and hell he did the early Mac Miller Tapes, now Mac is where hes at...and he also did the material for Rocky Diamonds...now hes signed to Polow Da Don ....Definitely recommend getting at dude
Ya, you don't lie about DJ smallz.. dude went all the way to Toronto to work in the studio w/ this rapper who is wack-mediocre in my opinion lmao.. I wonder how much DJ smallz charged him for the host - not including getting him up north of the border

and isn't ill will the creator/ ( or some a.ssociation) of one of the more up and coming popular mixtape/single websites now. I think livemixtapes.com or hotnewhiphop.com .. i might be wrong though

[video - click to view]

Last edited by unotready; 04-28-2012 at 12:05 PM..
 04-28-2012, 12:18 PM         #18
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 unotready said:
Ya, you don't lie about DJ smallz.. dude went all the way to Toronto to work in the studio w/ this rapper who is wack-mediocre in my opinion lmao.. I wonder how much DJ smallz charged him for the host - not including getting him up north of the border

and isn't ill will the creator/ ( or some a.ssociation) of one of the more up and coming popular mixtape/single websites now. I think livemixtapes.com or hotnewhiphop.com .. i might be wrong though

Blue screen of death. :death: Does DJ Smallz live in Tampa?
 6 years ago '06        #19
unotready 7 heat pts OP
space
space
space
 Sam Rothstein said:
Blue screen of death. :death: Does DJ Smallz live in Tampa?
don't know where he lives.. drumma probably knows. What you mean by blue screen of death lol
 6 years ago '10        #20
trex 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$2,783 | Props total: 195 195
On some level, it's a credibility issue.

If an unknown artist gets a well known dj to host their mixtape then it gives the unknown rapper some level of credibility because the dj is messing with their music.

There's less of a benefit for well known artists to have a dj host their tape. In this scenario it only makes sense from a branding perspective so that means the dj must be well known. For example, 50 is doing a gangster grillz tape with dj drama.
Home      

most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
105 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
39 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
109 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
72 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
19 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
91 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
65 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Denzel speaking Realism!
27 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy