The Secret Meeting That Changed Rap Music And Destroyed A Generation…

most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
125 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
51 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Suavementeee Besameee
16 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #121
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,377 | Props total: 16003 16003
 KeithClark said:
BTW they made an album about being a doctor it was by Dr. Octagon...the underground LOVED it the mainstream sleep on it. - Keith Clark
they also love the marine biologist machine aka aceyalone..who is a marine biologist.. one of them.."they use to many big words" rappers
 6 years ago '07        #122
space
space
 kronzsw said:
i get what your saying. the music companies basically established what was market-able back then. at the same time they had options not every rapper of the 90s was into criminal sh*t. the industry just chose to push that a lil harder then. the only difference now is that we have internet and access to a much more broad array of music. to make it worse its free if you know what your doing. i guess we could just agree to the bigger picture of the article which would be corparate control over its consumers. we as consumers have options tho. it works this way with everything. i guess im just trying to defend the music i love...
right Im all about defending hip hop.. Id be okay with what ever was gettin promoted...if there was a balance being offered..or shall I say pushed.. cause marketing is what makes "platinum" unless you got a strong indy hustle..even then it is hard to carve that niche nowadays.. I mean Ive played isht that was more on the "underground" side for people that generally listen to "club" or radio music..and they love it..but its not being pushed like that..and labels will not..after all ...business's do not want a smart consumer
 6 years ago '07        #123
space
space
 L.A's HiGhEsT said:
Lame this sh*t prob fake, but lets say its real rap music dont k!ll people or make people slang drugs its people's decesions that k!ll people and slang so this sh*ts weak...
the brain can be easily programmed to believe its making those decisions... but people who decide to buy a house based on the idea of what home ownership means.. in the grand scheme of the universe...a house do not mean isht... but its a decision you make based on society.. so lets just say sure you can make a decision on your own..but most people live in fear of not fitting in to the status quo..so ultimately their not making their own decision..but rather one given to them by society(culture) ie hip hop culture
 6 years ago '10        #124
Negro Man 
space
space
space
$20 | Props total: 0 0
 BackBlock_OG said:
I always said when Onyx's "Throw ya Gunz" came out everything changed. It's ironic he said this meeting happened in '91, the same year that song came out. Story sounds believable tho.
Throw your gunz did not come out in 91 n*gga. Stupid bi*ch it was 93'......

Last edited by Negro Man; 04-25-2012 at 03:47 PM..
 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM         #125
p imperial  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
if you believe that story

"shadowy men from an unknown organization" "secret backdoor summits"....these are stock characters and settings for hack political thriller authors....this just has a hiphop twist

why is it that "yall are sheeple" conspiracy heads are the easiest to convince and the most willing to believe stories with no substantiation
 6 years ago '04        #126
The S-Word 
space
space
$3,674 | Props total: 1290 1290
...Is there a specific reason this story shouldn't be believed? It's very plausible that a bunch of racist white record execs hatched a scheme to (once again) use blacks' music against them. The guy in the story even said that many of his colleagues said that Gangsta Rap reinforced their racism/stereotypical notions against/of blacks. White Guilt-ridden Wiggers on this site and their naivete & misguided idealism, I swear.

ice wolf said:
I've read a lot about the prison industrial complex. This is shocking, but I can't say I'm surprised. Prison's should never be a private business. Alex Jones has many articles and plenty of info on . Some of his views are a bit out there, but his facts and research are amazing.

Music Exec's are typically shady, so I'm sure some of them were fully open to promoting crime through hip-hop. I grew up in that era. It's 100% true that after 1991 all conscious hip-hop like Public Enemy, X-Clan, Poor Righteous Teachers etc were no longer promoted. The industry was pushing NWA, Spice-1, Snoop Dogg, Comptons Most Wanted on us. West coast gangsta rap was the only sh!t getting promoted for many years after 1991. I was a fan of it all, but it was pretty obvious that the industry was moving in a darker direction. This article may be bullsh!t, but I personally believe this story. It all adds up to me.

Read this article on Too Short. He discusses how the industry was pushing him to promote negative stereotypes in the 90's. His claims back all of this up:

Too Short Says There Was An Industry-Wide Plot To Shut Down Conscious Hip Hop

Exclusive: Short says Jive Records pushed him to be exclusively nasty and that the major labels plotted to keep positive Rap off the radio airwaves. He also explains the Dangerous Crew's disbanding.

But also during that discussion, Short Dog delved deeper into why so many may have come to think that Hip Hop’s original mack is nothing more than a perverse individual, due in part to the content of his songs abruptly shifting into strictly s3xually explicit material beginning around the mid-‘90s. Short candidly revealed why after his early ‘90s releases there were no socially-conscious songs on his albums ala “Trying To Come Up” from his just-released 19th studio effort, No Trespassing. The pioneering West Coast artist explained not only how his recording home of 20 years, Jive Records, prevented him from continuing to release songs about poverty, the effects of drug addiction and police brutality that had become the counterbalance to his “Freaky Tales,” but Short also shared his theory that all the major labels conspired to keep conscious Hip Hop off the radio airwaves.
 ImInHerMouth said:
We know they did that too. Artists are always complaining about how the execs are telling them what type of music to make. Wale said the same sh*t when he left Interscope, about white execs telling him what blacks want to hear.
...Exactly. And don't forget Alicia Keys' comment a few years ago about Gangsta Rap basically being created & promoted to reinforce black-on-black crime, and all the backlash she got from various rappers both commercial (50 Cent) and underground (Crooked I):

[video - click to view]

CBS News said:

50 Cent Defends Gangsta Rap

When it comes to "Gangsta rap" 50 Cent doesn't play around.

He's not happy about comments Alicia Keys was quoted as making in a recent interview with Blender, even though the R&B songstress later said the quotes were "misrepresented" by the magazine.

"'Gangsta rap' was a ploy to convince black people to k!ll each other," Keys was quoted as saying. "'Gangsta rap' didn't exist."

According to the a.ssociated Press, Keys issued a statement later saying that her comments were "misrepresented" and that she isn't a "conspiracy theorist" or "a racist."

"We stand by our story," Blender spokeswoman Kate Cafaro told The a.ssociated Press on Tuesday.

Regardless of Keys' explanation, 50 Cent wasn't too thrilled with the comment.

"I don't like Alicia Keys no more though … the same reason why I said that I don't like Oprah Winfrey," 50 Cent toldTheShowBuzz.com. "I'm prejudice(d). I don't like people who don't like me. If you don't like the content that I write because of my experiences; I am being who I am when I am writing it. I fall into that 'label' as far as you considering artists creating 'Gangsta music,' we fall into that.

"If she don't like that, (then) I don't like that classical music s--- she be doing. At some point she's playing some s--- that don't relate to me. … We listen to it and try to figure out why people actually enjoy it. I am trying to enjoy it. That statement changes my perception of Alicia Keys totally. But the magazine is standing behind it, which means they probably have a tape of her in conversation saying it. It's just not really a bright comment anyway."
...As for Crooked I's response to Keys' statement, since I can't find the video on Youtube or anywhere online anymore, I'll just sum up what he said in it, which is that Gangsta rap isn't a conspiracy due to his upbringing and the the ghetto as a whole, using racial profiling to reinforce his point. Here's one of many sites that used to have the video up, though:

Last edited by The S-Word; 04-25-2012 at 03:50 PM..
 6 years ago '05        #127
kronzsw 52 heat pts52
space
space
$6,120 | Props total: 9676 9676
 Damagegadget said:
right Im all about defending hip hop.. Id be okay with what ever was gettin promoted...if there was a balance being offered..or shall I say pushed.. cause marketing is what makes "platinum" unless you got a strong indy hustle..even then it is hard to carve that niche nowadays.. I mean Ive played isht that was more on the "underground" side for people that generally listen to "club" or radio music..and they love it..but its not being pushed like that..and labels will not..after all ...business's do not want a smart consumer
very true sir. maybe back then you could control masses by having the final say on what makes it to the radio and what doesnt. now its a different ball park, i mean we have full movement of music based fully on independent hustle.. if anything people need to look at this and realise that, that part of the agenda is over and start to focus on whats gonna happen now to control the way we get our music.
 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM         #128
lifeundthescope  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Interesting a.ss thread, subscribed and bookmarked
 6 years ago '07        #129
space
space
 p imperial said:
if you believe that story

"shadowy men from an unknown organization" "secret backdoor summits"....these are stock characters and settings for hack political thriller authors....this just has a hiphop twist

why is it that "yall are sheeple" conspiracy heads are the easiest to convince and the most willing to believe stories with no substantiation
why is it that you protect the people who are "shadowy" or choose to believe the story's of the powers that be when they hold secrets... or in other words the unknown...kept in the dark..or shadowy part of our government? Im not going to say this specific story is true.. but from a business perspective its only right to dumb down consumers... so I do believe hip hop has been sabotaged
 6 years ago '04        #130
EMBARK 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,281 | Props total: 243 243
but what if the hood upbringing (drugs in the inner city) was a conspiracy which was just furthered by those who chose to rap about those circumstances being given financial support in the form of record deals?
 6 years ago '05        #131
Str8 outta Cuse 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 49 49
Interesting read. I can definitely see how aggressive music can influence people. But at the same time, I've been listening to hard sh*t for the past 11 years and it has helped me in terms of motivation for my career as well as working out way more than it has hurt me. And I bet that most of you feel the same way as I do or else you wouldn't be on Boxden in the first place. It's too bad that it influences certain people so negatively tho.

Like when I hear 50 say "I'll k!ll you I aint playin, hear what I'm saying homie I ain't playing". I don't listen to that and want to k!ll someone. But I look at that line and kind of use it towards my problems in life or certain road blocks ahead of me and I look at it like, "This problem isn't going to do sh*t to me, I'm going to get through this sh*t no matter what." Or "I'm about to go hard for this workout", or "I'm about to nail this interview/Ace this test."

It might sound weird, but there's not much other music that gives me that same adrenaline rush I need to get motivated.
 6 years ago '11        #132
KeithClark 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,458 | Props total: 122 122
Everybody go buy a copy of Tragedy & Hope and call it a day. - Keith Clark
 6 years ago '05        #133
Gm0ney85 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,721 | Props total: 2161 2161
ight.. that meeting was like 20 years ago..

prisons are now over crowded...so success came of that..

but im trying to find out whens the next meeting.. or did i just miss it? i know n*ggas having meeting at least once every 20 years..

..im trying to get my bid in on the next big money maker...dig me..
 04-25-2012, 04:01 PM         #134
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ghost Writer said:
Bro where you been? Mainstream rap is completely different topic wise from 10-15 years ago. There are a select few that still rap about drugs and gangs and violence but guess what? They aren't selling records or getting radio spins.

Drake is sellin records.
Wayne is selling records (rarely raps about violence and/or criminal activity anymore outside of taking drugs)
Nicki Minaj is selling records
J Cole is selling records
Wiz Khalifa is selling records
Big Sean
Common
Weeknd
ASAP
Kendrick
etc.

Need I go on?

None of these artists are rapping about criminal activity outside of taking drugs. If the plan is to push violence through music in order to fill up privately owned prisons than they have been failing miserably. Not to mention, this is during a time when the "elite" have more control over the music than ever.

I'm a firm believer in the presence of large scale corruption in the music biz but I still think before I come to conclusions. Just because you believe the biz is corrupt, doesn't mean you need to believe everything you read.
Just stop snow-ball.

People like you aint even from our community, you just an outside-observer, your opinion is the most worthless in the world and you are so clueless that I cant give you the words that it would take to show you how brainwashed and ignorant all your posts are.

Yeah just continue advertising G-Unit artists for free.
 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM         #135
p imperial  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Damagegadget said:
why is it that you protect the people who are "shadowy" or choose to believe the story's of the powers that be when they hold secrets... or in other words the unknown...kept in the dark..or shadowy part of our government? Im not going to say this specific story is true.. but from a business perspective its only right to dumb down consumers... so I do believe hip hop has been sabotaged
I'm talking about this specific story...theres absolutely nothing in it to make me believe it isn't the work of a bored blogger with an active imagination...honestly, I think the bureaucratic apparatus of the state is too bloated and inefficient to ever effectively mobilize "secret conspiracies"....do they have interests that go against the "good of the people"? yeah...but I believe that sh*t is happening right under our noses, not in secret backdoors

I don't disbelieve for one second that record execs actively pushed to make gangsta, street, crime oriented rap the face of the culture at the expense of conscious music.....but I don't think it has anything to do with "secret government consipiracies" and the prison industrial complex.

I think its simple....record executives are uncreative thinkers who see the world in demographic trends and sales figures....a group like NWA breaksthrough and sells millions,not only to black america, but to suburban white america as well...lil timmy aint from the hood but he can probably relate to "outlaw badasses who swear a lot" from compton better than the black revolution of P.E

They wanted artists to start selling a thug image because they thought it was a new gimmick which was easily marketable...tapping into americas historical obsession with outlaw figures....easier to sell to a broader audience

no conspiracy or secret meetings needed....just plain old capitalist greed
 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM         #136
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gm0ney85 said:
ight.. that meeting was like 20 years ago..

prisons are now over crowded...so success came of that..

but im trying to find out whens the next meeting.. or did i just miss it? i know n*ggas having meeting at least once every 20 years..

..im trying to get my bid in on the next big money maker...dig me..
Dont even worry I gotchu......

This last year has been busy in HipHop...with sales slumping and only a handful of Platinum artists left its time to quit bullsh*ttin' and start catering to the consumers and pandering to the "buying demographic", ...if we wanna sell some records that is.

How the fu*k are we going to get the majority-consumers to buy HipHop albums when they can just download them sh*ts for free?

Well first you wanna get their attention and make them feel like they are a part of the Music and the Movement and the easiest way to do that is to include people who look like them on our albums and labels.

So lets take a glance at this relatively new phase in HipHop over the past year:
lets look at the Top 10 Token signees over the last year and see which label snatched up the best prospect:

MGK to Badboy (2011)

K-KoKe to Roc Nation (2011)

Asher Roth to Def Jam (2011)

KreayShawn to Interscope (2011)

Yelawolf to Shady/Aftermath (2011)

DJ Pauly D to G-Unit/Interscope (2011)

N/A to Maybach Music Group (2008-2012)

Amber Rose to Taylor Gang records (2011) *Artist removed due to derail issues and ADHD*

Wrekonize/Mayday to Strange Music (2011)

Limp Bizkit to YMCMB (2012)

Iggy Azelia to Grand Hustle/Atlantic/Interscope (2012)

THERES YOUR TOP TEN:

Now do you know were to put your money at??
 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM         #137
GMoney47  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ghost Writer said:
If the people that control the music biz are link to ownership in private prisons and therefore promote violence and other illegal activities in order to create more profit for themselves, then why is the music that is pushed in the mainstream so soft?

Just answer that. That's all I want to know.
The story is about the early '90's not about the effiminate garbage being pushed out today. Who knows what the new agenda is.

With all of the technology that someone else mentioned with youtube, itunes etc, it is difficult to fathom that the same few artists are being talked about so much even though the general consensus is that their "music" is garbage. It even happens on this site. Why do I have to scroll through the Nikki Minaj, Drake, Wale, Wayne, Rhi Rhi garbage postings EVERY DAY before I can get to something worth listening to or talking about? Because the media pushes the crap and some posters on BX follow suit like they're playing spades!
 04-25-2012, 04:08 PM         #138
kbz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Damagegadget said:
if kids in poverty were listening to music about trying to become doctors do you really think they would opt to sell drugs instead?

The cool thing to do as portrayed by rick ross for example.. is to sell dope.. you got isht like coke boys?/ wtf coke boys lol.. it showing people that the only way out of poverty..the rags to riches story is made thru fast money..drugs guns and misogyny.
...no ninjas land themselves in jail tryin to be big "ballers"..ironically the name of a rap song.. and what most of people who are fans of rap aspire to be ..a baller... with an "mtv" crib, and a bunch of azz clappin batches..

These images portrayed by rappers.. are sold to be whats "cool" and every one wants to be "cool" in fear of being an outcast.. period. So they will follow whats cool. If being a doctor was made to be "cool" by rap..I a.ssure you more people would aspire to be that than a drug dealer..or "boss"
new facebook status .. damn kid this sh*t was deep
 6 years ago '04        #139
skillahmang 2 heat pts
space
space
$23,662 | Props total: 11307 11307
at first i was like this...

after a minute i was like...
 6 years ago '06        #140
raw51188 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,606 | Props total: 1 1
Duck tales.

Gtfoh with this conspiracy sh*t. People fail to realize when they talk about conspiracies to look closely at the MOTIVATION. WTF would the motivation be? Really, private prisons? Gtfoh sounds like a ridiculous movie plot. People give other people way too much credit and attribute them with having crazy god like power when they just regular rich people. I'm done with this thread. Yall gullible. And this dude is just now releasing this why? He could've figure out how to tell it sooner without releasing names? No, cuz he just thought of it. Wow.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
31 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
141 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
282 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
72 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
52 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
44 comments
23 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
206 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
65 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy