Who needs college??

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
59 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
56 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
68 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Akademiks bout that Twitch Irl life.
50 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 04-23-2012, 07:41 AM         #121
dlettern  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It's not about education, it's about drive. If you're going after school driven positions like being a doctor or lawyer where you need to be certified, then you should focus that drive on your school work. However, if you have a different hustle, you make your own destiny regardless of where and how long you went to school. These guys had a vision bigger than any school, bigger than themselves
 6 years ago '10        #122
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,732 | Props total: 19628 19628
This is like saying weed is good for everyone.
 6 years ago '05        #123
pnoi89 11 heat pts11
space
space
$11,308 | Props total: 4732 4732
 nastynoble said:
btw, is anyone in here graduated with just a bachelors, less than 25,000 in debt and making more than 40k in the area in which you majored?
I'm graduating in a couple of weeks (B.S. Mechanical Engineering). 0 debt and so far, I have one job offer in Houston, Texas offering 40k+.

6 years ago '07        #124
joshdogg26 193 heat pts193
space
space
$34,386 | Props total: 13044 13044
 nastynoble said:
btw, is anyone in here graduated with just a bachelors, less than 25,000 in debt and making more than 40k in the area in which you majored?
*raises hand*
 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM         #125
Drone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 nastynoble said:
lmao, what kind of programmers? computer programmers aint sh*t, mathematicians take a phd to get anywhere besides teaching and economists...lets not even go there.

you have it even more wrong when you say some stupid sh*t like "these majors" will always be in demand.

You need to stay your a.ss in school and never leave.
Does this guy even know what he is talking about? I hate when egotistical morons think they grasp concepts such this but are so far off base. Shut up and contribute to the discussion as to what the op was mentioning and don't make asinine remarks that my eyes laid upon.

So what your feeble mind is trying to express is that computer science, mathematics and economics are not sh*t. Potentially three of the most challenging and most rewarding college majors, are not going to be in demand? Sigh the world is moving in the opposite direction in human intellectual development.

As to the main discussion, do what you want to do. As far as I am concerned, college is lift off to attain higher positions in the labour force. You can certainly finish high school and get years of experienced working at the bottom leg of a particular company and then be set in your early twenties with money in your saving account and transferable skills.

GPA doesn't mean anything at all. Experience and networking is the most important thing a college kid needs to strengthen to get a decent paying job. Those individuals (people op showed on first page) are a rare breed of individuals who have awakened their brain to maximize their potential. Not every one has that ability to the level of those special human beings that are at the top of the food chain.

Last edited by Drone; 04-23-2012 at 09:20 AM..
 6 years ago '05        #126
DanBootleg 210 heat pts210
space
space
$18,772 | Props total: 8933 8933
 meercy said:
^^untill they hit you with. you need 1-2 or 2-3 yrs of expierience....
thats what you get the degree for. to do & start learning the job..smh...

im not saying a degree is worthless but they sure make it hard after it...
That's just to eliminate people from applying if you sell yourself on being more than capable they will listen.
 6 years ago '07        #127
Funeral James 24 heat pts24
space
space
$16,474 | Props total: 409 409
these are ALL entrepreneurs.
 6 years ago '11        #128
ch3vyrid3r 44 heat pts44
space
space
$642 | Props total: 2406 2406
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." Ronald E. Osborn
 6 years ago '06        #129
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,678 | Props total: 8631 8631
fu*k college basically........look you can succeed in life with or without college but most people don't have that drive to become successful without going to college.

If you got that drive and the mindset to stay focus sh*tted you don't need college.

Most people don't.
 04-23-2012, 10:47 AM         #130
donmeca2020  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i agree with this 100%

while i can say i make a good amount of money yearly, it k!lls me when i see people whom i work with who has "bachelors degrees" and their making if not the same amount as myself their making less.....
that shows me alot about schooling.

school is not for everyone, and it really doesn't benefit everyone.
 6 years ago '10        #131
Rot10MilkSteak 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,741 | Props total: 8 8
 jkidd0055 said:
If you are a genius, yes this will apply to you...pretty much what this is saying...not very logical to get a point across
not really my pops is in his 50s and dropped out of school in the 3rd grade and he makes 300,000 plus a year.

he owns his own construction company
my brother never finished high school and he is a senior editor and makes over 100,000 a year and hes only 27

its not about what you know its about who you know and how hard you work for your sh*t.
 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM         #132
KrayLay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I graduated with no debt and am getting paid to get my PhD.:celebrate0:

I do agree that college is not for everyone. Anyone who goes to college and gets a BA in the Humanities and think it's going to help them in the job market is in for a rude awakening. The same goes for the sciences unless of course, you get you're PhD. I recommend reading real education by Charles Murray.
 6 years ago '07        #133
CASH1 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,784 | Props total: 2399 2399
College is useless without connections/networking.

Kids don't realize that until they graduate and find themselves only getting jobs at retail outlets.

Your degree doesn't mean sh*t, thousands/millions of other ppl have your degree. It's not a benchmark anymore. You either got the hook up for the job or you don't got a job.
 6 years ago '11        #134
NateRight 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,448 | Props total: 717 717
 nastynoble said:
lmao, what kind of programmers? computer programmers aint sh*t, mathematicians take a phd to get anywhere besides teaching and economists...lets not even go there.

you have it even more wrong when you say some stupid sh*t like "these majors" will always be in demand.

You need to stay your a.ss in school and never leave.
fu*k you mean programmers aint sh*t? Either you dont know the computer industry or you dont think technology is that important. Second of all you dont need a phd in mathematics, no idea why you think that. Thirdly, who do you think runs the banks, what degree do you think investment bakers have? Econ majors who know their stuff can make hella money.

And i can say these majors will be in demand becase 1) these fields are constantly evolving as well as being very versatile and 2) few people actually major in these fields
 6 years ago '07        #135
Pos 90 heat pts90
space
space
$9,618 | Props total: 5472 5472
sure college degrees look good on your resume, but to be honest it's all about "personality", "who you know", and "work ethic"

most people now a days get jobs through connections, if your a quiet personality good luck to you
 6 years ago '10        #136
Pete Butter 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,637 | Props total: 143 143
 wjcorner said:
That's why you get good GPAs, network with people in your university that knowers in your field, and get internships/co-ops...you get out of school what you put into it. If all you do is skate by partying and smoking with a 2.6, yeah it'll be hard to get a dream job...or if you get a degree in any creative arts, yeah you probably wasted money. But if you're a hard working student, you network with your professors and peers, and show ambition AND have all this reflected by a good GPA score, you'll find a good job after college, and probably could get half of your student loans paid off(if you were truly an ambitious student you probably didn't even need loans for nothing but one semester tops) AND you master degree paid for. This sh*t is a hustle like anything else...n*ggas ignorant to the game you gotta play be the main ones saying school ain't sh*t.
What employment program is paying the Sallie Mae loan that was acquired before you got the job?
 6 years ago '04        #137
efromthev 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,588 | Props total: 440 440
I look at it like this;

A college degree allows you a variety of different jobs to apply to or work in. Many of these jobs don't really need a college degree or even make the person better for the job than someone who has a high school diploma. It's just that many companies make it a requirement to even APPLY for a job, mainly because there are so many applicants that they have to start weeding people out in some way. It doesn't necessarily mean that those people would be better at the job than you would but that's how the game goes.

Besides what I said above about opening doors to find jobs, many of the degrees/focuses that people take are not very useful. IMO, the only jobs you really should need/require a degree are those of a lawyer, doctor, engineer, etc. These jobs obviously require higher education to get into your field but most other majors are just getting that piece of paper to jump start yourself in the work force because of the dumb rule that you need a degree for most jobs that are completely unrelated.

There is nothing wrong with not going to college because it isn't for everyone. But be prepared to have your options limited on what jobs you can land. There are still plenty of options to make over 70k a year without a college degree but you have to be willing to bust your a.ss. I know plenty of people in construction who make 90k and up, which is much more than average bachelor degree that isn't in a focused field (such as engineering, math, etc, all those people can make 100k with just a bachelors degree, really good majors). But with no degree you either have to create your own lane/business or get down with some of the hard physical jobs that still pay good.

A college degree doesn't make you smarter than someone without one. Sure you could be smarter, but many of the smartest people I know did not go to college while some did. I know plenty of people who graduated early with top grades and still are some of the most clueless, no life skills people I know.

I know people say regardless if they got a BS degree, that college taught them lessons that are invaluable. While yes, this may be true, because I definitely learned some eye opening things from some of the classes I took that changed me but it doesn't mean you learned some skills that couldn't be learned elsewhere. Someone who came out of high school and experienced the real world whether it was struggle with bills or complete failure, definitely could say that they learned the ultimate real life lessons that can't be taught anywhere besides living through real life hardships.

No reason to not be proud of your degree/s, but don't act smug over people without them because it doesn't really make you any better of a person. Same thing with having a good job, you should strive for one but don't let that make you believe you are above others. If you didn't learn in college that being a socially responsible person and treating others kindly despite your or their circumstances is one of the most important things in life, more so that monetary gain, than I would say you didn't learn much.
 6 years ago '07        #138
nastynoble 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,748 | Props total: 126 126
 pnoi89 said:
I'm graduating in a couple of weeks (B.S. Mechanical Engineering). 0 debt and so far, I have one job offer in Houston, Texas offering 40k+.

next question...

how you graduate with no debt?
 6 years ago '07        #139
nastynoble 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,748 | Props total: 126 126
 NateRight said:
fu*k you mean programmers aint sh*t? Either you dont know the computer industry or you dont think technology is that important. Second of all you dont need a phd in mathematics, no idea why you think that. Thirdly, who do you think runs the banks, what degree do you think investment bakers have? Econ majors who know their stuff can make hella money.

And i can say these majors will be in demand becase 1) these fields are constantly evolving as well as being very versatile and 2) few people actually major in these fields
you obviously dont know sh*t about programming. COMPUTER PROGRAMMERS dont make sh*t and have no advancement opportunities. they are basement desk bi*ches. those are the guys you call when your microsoft word is acting up or internet connection is down..i think you are talking about SOFTWARE programmers. those are the guys creating and contributing to new firmware and OS etc.

so what can you do with a Bachelors in mathematics? please tell me

Econ majors are a dime a dozen, thats why it doesnt make sense to have a degree that everyone else has.
 6 years ago '04        #140
efromthev 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,588 | Props total: 440 440
so what can you do with a Bachelors in mathematics? please tell me
You can be an Actuary. That's what my sister's boyfriend is, they make a sh*t ton of money. You have to take some tests after you get your bacehlors to become certified but you don't need a masters.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
54 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
89 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
113 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Jump reveals Beerus, Hit and Goku Black as playable characters for Dragon Ball..
38 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy