Who needs college??

most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
25 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
176 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
38 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
132 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #81
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,322 | Props total: 1109 1109
 wjcorner said:
Did you get a 3.0
Again, i work for a top 10 bank and my GPA is way lower than this
 04-22-2012, 10:38 PM         #82
lavarrengreen  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 wjcorner said:
Did you do internships? Do you know your career services manager's name? Did you get a 3.0 and do you have at least 3 professor's numbers or rather 3 professors who have YOUR number? It ain't the fact that you're black, I can guarantee that...corporations do back flips for ambitious college educated minorities to fill up quotas

How you gonna reply back to me asking me questions like I wasnt on my grind when I was in school bra? Counseling a.ss dont come at me with all that...I did all that sh*t and have multiple letters of recommendations from faculty members, employers, managers, volunteered at hospitals in rehabilitation, etc. And not all people with a 2.6 gpa skate by, party, and smoke. "Do you have a 3.0?" "Do you have a 3.0?" Get outta here with that sh*t

Last edited by lavarrengreen; 04-22-2012 at 10:41 PM..
 6 years ago '10        #83
Space 2020 14 heat pts14
space
space
$2,757 | Props total: 164 164
If you go to college and major in a technical field that allows you to applies your skill to almost anything(Software Engineering) your set.

Get a job paying 50k+ a year and SAVE IT. Then begin to invest your money into other things(i.e Real Estate)

You have to invest your money and or innovate what is around you. But this all takes motivation and action you can't just talk about it.

Education is a a.sset and College is an investment into yourself
 6 years ago '11        #84
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,802 | Props total: 2667 2667
 lavarrengreen said:

How you gonna reply back to me asking me questions like I wasnt on my grind when I was in school bra? Counseling a.ss dont come at me with all that...I did all that sh*t and have multiple letters of recommendations from faculty members, employers, managers, volunteered at hospitals in rehabilitation, etc. And not all people with a 2.6 gpa skate by, party, and smoke. "Do you have a 3.0?" "Do you have a 3.0?" Get outta here with that sh*t
Because you probably weren't either that or you chose a sh*tty major, or a school with a sh*tty program for your major. There are a million more reasons why you wouldn't get hired, being black is just an excuse n*ggas make on some silly sh*t
 6 years ago '10        #85
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35
space
space
$1,882 | Props total: 9 9
^^^You're going a little overboard here. Getting a job also involves a lot of luck (after all for every one job 100s of people apply, and applications can easily get lost), nepotism, personality and the whims of the market.

Yes, some people get jobs. But you can't argue with the statistics. 1 out of 2 college graduates do not have a job or it's a bullsh*t waiter-type job.
 6 years ago '11        #86
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
I agree with a little with what your saying but not your sentiment in its entirety.. I just had a discussion with a professor of mine about GPA's we both agreed that GPA'S DONT MEAN sh*t.. they really don't... One can easily cheat, get a good GPA, graduate, and know absolutely nothing.. I know students in my program (Accounting / Finance) who cant write, critically think, or reason to save their lives.. but somehow still get the high GPA's... Critical thinking is what education should be all about.. if you cant do that, then you should just forget about it..
I know GPAs don't meant anything but easy prestigious jobs like GE have 3.0 cut offs...you can network, know people, and get a great job with a low GPA...it's just easier with a high GPA. The statement I was trying to make is, this sh*t is easy if you play the game how it's supposed to be played. Like dude who dropped the 1 in 2 graduates are unemployed...well you have "universities" like Full Sail giving out degrees, you have your common 6 year undergrad, or the excessively geeky and unsocial guy in a networking major like business management that skews those numbers. If you do everything I said, youll be guaranteed a job. If you do half of what I said and get a 2.5 you probably getting a good job. If you just do the bare minimums, you gonna get the bare minimum back. That's the only point I was making, not saying if you're under a 3.0 you're shut out the industry
 6 years ago '11        #87
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
 Ciggavelli said:
^^^You're going a little overboard here. Getting a job also involves a lot of luck (after all for every one job 100s of people apply, and applications can easily get lost), nepotism, personality and the whims of the market.

Yes, some people get jobs. But you can't argue with the statistics. 1 out of 2 college graduates do not have a job or it's a bullsh*t waiter-type job.
The reasons you used are why you gotta hustle this sh*t...like personality. Why would you choose a job with a corporate culture that doesn't match your personality? Whims of the market...why would you choose a field that's bleeding? Nepotism...I guarantee you, unless you go to an online university or choose the sh*ttiest program at your school, 50% of your professors will be retired out of work in your field, or doing research for companies in your field. You can easily have nepotism in your favor where people are calling desks up to keep a slot for YOU open. Is this sh*t a cake walk? No, it takes hard work and dedication. Do a lot of people fail? Yeah, there are little barriers into higher education nowadays...that doesn't mean there isn't a system and a way to work it
 6 years ago '10        #88
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35
space
space
Also, everybody talking about getting "a hard science degree will guarantee you a job" is being naive as hell. All of those programming and engineering jobs are being outsourced.

I've worked for a major market research company and a major think-tank. Guess where all of our programmers were from? India. You know why? They're much, much cheaper than US computer programmers

Last edited by Ciggavelli; 04-22-2012 at 11:27 PM..
 04-22-2012, 11:12 PM         #89
lavarrengreen  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 wjcorner said:
Because you probably weren't either that or you chose a sh*tty major, or a school with a sh*tty program for your major. There are a million more reasons why you wouldn't get hired, being black is just an excuse n*ggas make on some silly sh*t
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology/Human Movement from Louisiana State University...come again?
 6 years ago '10        #90
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35
space
space
 wjcorner said:
The reasons you used are why you gotta hustle this sh*t...like personality. Why would you choose a job with a corporate culture that doesn't match your personality? Whims of the market...why would you choose a field that's bleeding? Nepotism...I guarantee you, unless you go to an online university or choose the sh*ttiest program at your school, 50% of your professors will be retired out of work in your field, or doing research for companies in your field. You can easily have nepotism in your favor where people are calling desks up to keep a slot for YOU open. Is this sh*t a cake walk? No, it takes hard work and dedication. Do a lot of people fail? Yeah, there are little barriers into higher education nowadays...that doesn't mean there isn't a system and a way to work it
Agreed. There's definitely a way of working it. But it's not fool-proof. But that 50% of professors being retired or what have you, is also naive. People are working longer and longer nowadays. 65 is not the retirement age anymore (thanks to the poor economy, overspending, etc.). It's hard out there. That's all I'm saying. Those with good jobs should feel lucky. Yes, your skills helped get you the job, but there were also outside forces (luck, networking, etc.) that helped you out as well. I'm just saying that people should recognize that

Last edited by Ciggavelli; 04-22-2012 at 11:21 PM..
 6 years ago '11        #91
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
 lavarrengreen said:
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology/Human Movement from Louisiana State University...come again?
How are you trying to use that? I know a spot that needs more help in Greensboro, NC where I had physical therapy. Have you finished PT school?
 6 years ago '04        #92
Fameus 6 heat pts
space
space
$7,593 | Props total: 4045 4045
 Dalinkwent said:
really a mail man makes that and doesnt need a degree
Really missing the point . A sanitation collector can also make that , along with wildlife worker & border patrol . There are plenty of jobs that pay that dont require a degree few of which most people see themselve doing . Which one of the people pictured on the first page grew up and became a mail carrier ? Each of them changed the world . A degree opens doors that stay closed for people that dont have one .
 6 years ago '11        #93
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
 Ciggavelli said:
Agreed. There's definitely a way of working it. But it's not fool-proof. But that 50% of professors being retired or what have you, is also naive. People are working longer and longer nowadays. 65 is not the retirement age anymore (thanks to the poor economy, overspending, etc.). It's hard out there. That's all I'm saying. Those with good jobs should feel lucky. Yes, you're skills helped get you the job, but there were also outside forces (luck, networking, etc.) that helped you out as well. I'm just saying that people should recognize that
That's why a lot of people who are retiring are becoming professors while getting their doctorates or going into business themselves...true retirement is dead but you can live an easy life after your "first" career is over
 04-22-2012, 11:26 PM         #94
twentythree  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
in short..

college is needed for: doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc

colleges is NOT needed for: skill jobs, art & entertainment, etc.
 04-22-2012, 11:28 PM         #95
lavarrengreen  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 wjcorner said:
How are you trying to use that? I know a spot that needs more help in Greensboro, NC where I had physical therapy. Have you finished PT school?
I'm trying to get back in school...either Orthopedic Nurse or Nurse Practitioner
 6 years ago '10        #96
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35
space
space
 wjcorner said:
That's why a lot of people who are retiring are becoming professors while getting their doctorates or going into business themselves...true retirement is dead but you can live an easy life after your "first" career is over
True. It's just getting that first job that is a problem. Once the foot's in the door (and you don't fu*k up), its gonna be a lot easier for you.

This has been a big topic around my department (with recent PhDs trying to get professor jobs and having a hard time), so I'm perhaps a bit biased. But everyday it seems like I read worse and worse stats about jobs post-graduation. I'm just hoping the economy picks up, and more qualified people get the jobs they deserve. The job market's hard out there for introverts, people living in bullsh*t states with poor economies, and those that "don't look the part"
 6 years ago '10        #97
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35
space
space
 lavarrengreen said:
I'm trying to get back in school...either Orthopedic Nurse or Nurse Practitioner
NP bruh...NP
 6 years ago '06        #98
Stupid Fresh 183 heat pts183
space
space
$24,218 | Props total: 5029 5029
i just saw some sh*t about 1/2 recent college grads being unemployed
 6 years ago '11        #99
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
 Ciggavelli said:
True. It's just getting that first job that is a problem. Once the foot's in the door (and you don't fu*k up), its gonna be a lot easier for you.

This has been a big topic around my department (with recent PhDs trying to get professor jobs and having a hard time), so I'm perhaps a bit biased. But everyday it seems like I read worse and worse stats about jobs post-graduation. I'm just hoping the economy picks up, and more qualified people get the jobs they deserve. They job market's hard out there for introverts, people living in bullsh*t states with poor economies, and those that "don't look the part"
It's gonna be either this next presidential term or the one after that, that will determine whether the economy picks back up...we came out this recession but it's looking like the peak of this upturn is gonna stay about as high as our last recession...we're gonna dip LOW for our next recession and I'm not convinced we won't hit Europe crisis status when it's time for our economical upturn
 6 years ago '10        #100
Shhon 850 heat pts850
space
space
$19,278 | Props total: 23784 23784

[video - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
47 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
86 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
LIL FLIP shows $1,000,000 worth of JEWELRY!!!!!!
89 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
23 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
69 comments
24 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
295 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
56 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy