Who needs college??

most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
82 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Snoop Dogg Issues Warning To George Zimmerman: I Have Jay-Z’s Back
80 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Offset got a new $70k Ric Flair chain
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTensionCord Got Sent To Prison Cause He Post Court Info On IG & His..
34 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '12        #61
NATOMAS 23 heat pts23
space
space
$1,513 | Props total: 453 453
Google's free.
 6 years ago '11        #62
panelas 31 heat pts31
space
space
$778 | Props total: 2 2
the average person does not have the drive or intellectual capacity to not go to school and become successful
 6 years ago '09        #63
jerryballa 
space
space
$1,585 | Props total: 0 0
great thread/discussion

taking everyones comments into account, two years into my bachelors and already have hella debt
 6 years ago '11        #64
panelas 31 heat pts31
space
space
$778 | Props total: 2 2
 mr_underground said:
It all depends on what you want to do and your mindset. I dropped out of college, yet I'm a very successful marketer.

If you think college will help you become financially free, then think again. I make more than my doctor, CPA, etc... all because I know how to SELL. Sales and marketing = MONEY. Job = just over broke . I should make more money because I take on more risk than most people ( not my doctor lol).

I went back to school just to take a couple of music classes at Berklee just because I wanted to learn some specific skill I couldn't find elsewhere and was hard to learn from books. But thats about it.

If any of you were to come to a mastermind meeting or hand with people who make six figures or more on their own. you're opinions of college would change. Non of us are "smarter" and a lot aren't "smart" at all. They just know how to do certain things and have the ball to try stuff.

I've consulted for a billion dollar company because I was marketed as the "video guy to the stars". I had an entry level DSLR and was good with color science. The real video experts with 20 years experience would be pissed off. But they can't sell like I can so I got the gig and the results because the company didn't know sh*t. I knew a little. And that was enough to get them a better result than they were getting.

So you don't even have to be the best to make a ton of money lol.

So I 'm not for or against college. But college doesn't = anything. Its just paper. I also have a technically legal degree from a diploma mill which I use sometimes when people do ask and thats all they wanna see. I pay about $100 for it and it technically legal, but super sneaky and takes advantage of Legal loopholes from certain countries and international laws...but...its works. ( In most states, can't use it in 11 states)

The problem is society. You in no way, shape, or form, need a degree in graphic design. its impossible. Their are millions of blogs, books, DVD's and youtube videos that will teach you anything you could possible wanna know about graphics. My friend went to college for graphic design, she has a BA but can't find a job because she doesn't have 4-7 year experience...wtf?

Yet, I became know for my graphics, because I attached to a celeb. And now outsource all graphic work for about $30 but charge $300, so I make $270 for doing nothing. Some of you may say "wtf?".

The classic quote still stands: "It's not what you know, its who you know"

I had 0 experience in broadcast, yet I get consulting calls on video all the time because read a few blogs and watched some video on filmmaking, then practiced a bit to develop a style. I turn down video work now. All because I took action on a opportunity, bought a $900 DSLR camera with video campability, $300 lens, and watched some videos from zacuto.com and took action on what the pro said to do.

So I saved $100k by just listening to an establish director of photography and took her advice on how to shoot better movies. So for me, I can't understand why I would start from scratch and sacrifice 4 years when I can just find a pro and have them show me what works right now.

If you want a job at a company, then a degree is VERY useful, it can be in anything. But thats about all it doesn't in most cases. Its a lot of humans out here and a degree is used as a weeding out tool.

( sorry for the long rant, its a passionate topic for me since I beat the odds...its wasn't easy though...)
wow thanks for sharing
 6 years ago '04        #65
Fameus 6 heat pts
space
space
$7,613 | Props total: 4065 4065
Missleading . Go on careerbuilder or monster and find me a 50k job where it DOESNT say degree required . Ill wait .
 6 years ago '07        #66
j_k1dd 8 heat pts
space
space
$2,772 | Props total: 577 577
I needed formal education to figure out what I wanted/didn't want it life.

I found out exactly what I want to be doing, and it doesn't necessarily require formal education...I'm just already at the end of my road so I might as well get the degree. Plus all the theories I've learned really helps.
 6 years ago '10        #67
Dalinkwent 
space
space
$402 | Props total: 7 7
 HeightsBound said:

[pic - click to view]

Dropped out of high school.
he aint in the same category as those people come on the list is people who are smart
 6 years ago '10        #68
Dalinkwent 
space
space
$402 | Props total: 7 7
 Fameus said:
Missleading . Go on careerbuilder or monster and find me a 50k job where it DOESNT say degree required . Ill wait .
really a mail man makes that and doesnt need a degree
 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM         #69
ex-clu-sives  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The only problem with this thread is that so many dumb people are posting in it.

04-22-2012, 09:35 PM         #70
lavarrengreen  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dopemcee said:
notice something common bout all of them?

yeah mr black man drop out of school and think america is gonna give u countless opportunties outside of "entertainment"..

..i hate it too but its true...u living in a nation where a white high school grad thats also a felon has a better chance of being hired to a job more than a college grad no conviction black man..\
\
I agree with this bra...I have my BS and its still hard out here to find a decent job. I have plans for nursing school tho cause I need something to do with my time besides feeling like a post-grad bum
 6 years ago '04        #71
babalou 
space
space
$12,433 | Props total: 17 17
 sandninja said:
not all these ppl dropped out, and then became rich. most of them were on such a fast pace to becoming rich WHILE still in college that they HAD to drop out to make time for their money-making schemes
word. it's not like they took time off to figure sh*t out. college was probably holding them back. you think zuckerberg gave a damn about a degree?
 6 years ago '10        #72
SoFresh170 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,317 | Props total: 1965 1965
yeah dont go to college... & see if you'll end up like any one of these guys
you could also go to college and end up like this man though >>>
 6 years ago '10        #73
Dextromethorphan 217 heat pts217
space
space
space
$27,807 | Props total: 13 13
all of them are fu*ken geniuses
 6 years ago '10        #74
Dextromethorphan 217 heat pts217
space
space
space
$27,807 | Props total: 13 13
 dopemcee said:
notice something common bout all of them?

yeah mr black man drop out of school and think america is gonna give u countless opportunties outside of "entertainment"..

..i hate it too but its true...u living in a nation where a white high school grad thats also a felon has a better chance of being hired to a job more than a college grad no conviction black man..\
\
excuses excuses excuses
 6 years ago '10        #75
Swiph Mix 14 heat pts14
space
space
$427 | Props total: 121 121
Very good discussion. But let me preach for a minute....

I agree school isn't for everybody but for the people who deiced to go to school you get what you put into it. For all the young bucks currently in school or thinking about going or just the haters in general.....

In my situation I took a few semesters of community college right after I graduated high school and I didn't do so well so I eventually stopped going. I didn't have the drive back then to complete college because in High school I was a C student (my parents never really pushed me to get A's so I never really did). The one thing I did know was that I liked numbers and I wanted to do something with numbers. I quit my retail gig and got a job at a bank working customer service part-time. For a couple years or so I stopped going to school and just focused on work pretty much. Even though I started to work my way up in the company (full-time obviously) I quickly realized that this process is taking way to long (moving up) and I needed that piece of paper (a degree) in order to do something real in the field I wanted to be in. After talking to several successful people (customers a.k.a. networking) I realize there is nothing wrong with getting an education to make myself better. The bottom line is nobody in the backoffice was going to take a young kid with not a lot of experience or a degree.

So my black a.ss went right back to school as of last year. I started out slow. Just 1 class, then 2, and 3 per semester just to get my feet wet. It's not just classes either. I also read books on the financial crash in 2008, derivatives and mortgages and such. You have to teach yourself as well as others teaching you. Always try to stay 1-2 steps ahead. I will be done my a.ssociates by next semester and I'm already dual-enrolled to go to a 4-year school to obtain my dual B.A. (In Finance & Corp Risk management even though that may change...). I'm now a manager at my job and I'm established being employed there for 4-5 years. I'm 24 and if I plan this right I will be done by 26-27. Then I would move on to my MBA. A little late but oh well....

As for money...

Yes money is always a factor and colleges have become overly expensive. I can't speak for others but I can speak for myself. My job provides tuition reimbursement for around $3-4k a year which pretty much pays for my a.ssociates degree (not including books and such). When I move on to a 4 year (well known) state college to achieve my degree, with the help of my tuition I will have college degree for around $20-25k which is chillin for me (a dual major will probably cost around 5-6k more which is fine). That number does not include any financial aid or grants either. This would be just me going to school. I've already talked to my HR dept and once I receive my degree I will get a position that better suits my skills. Even if I don't decide to stay with the company I will still have a degree that I didn't fully pay for which I'm pretty sure I can find a job with but you never know (with 5+ years of banking experience :).

Nobody is saying this is easy but you have to use all your resources available to you. You have to put in work. If your going just to go then I can't help you. College isn't about just getting a job. It's the general experience of school, educating yourself and obtaining a personal self accomplishment (especially if you from a broken home or had a rough childhood or a minority etc..). It's not like a NCAA title, once you get it nobody can take it away from you no matter what. When I talk to people and ask about college, you hear that they had the best time of their lives in college. Not to throw salt against the people that did it without a degree because that's a great accomplishment but there is something about the experience of school gets me.

Innovators are innovators for a reason. Not to say that you can't be one of them but if you don't have the "drive" to be one then I suggest you do you and keep it moving. I hope this helps. Sorry I went in on this one....
 6 years ago '10        #76
Swiph Mix 14 heat pts14
space
space
$427 | Props total: 121 121
 Dextromethorphan said:
excuses excuses excuses
:agreement6::agreement6::agreement6:

That's also something that bothers me. Black people make a million excuses my lord. Man up and get the job done. Nothing comes easy.....we just have to work harder in some cases is all.
 6 years ago '11        #77
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,805 | Props total: 2668 2668
 meercy said:
^^untill they hit you with. you need 1-2 or 2-3 yrs of expierience....
thats what you get the degree for. to do & start learning the job..smh...

im not saying a degree is worthless but they sure make it hard after it...
That's why you get good GPAs, network with people in your university that knowers in your field, and get internships/co-ops...you get out of school what you put into it. If all you do is skate by partying and smoking with a 2.6, yeah it'll be hard to get a dream job...or if you get a degree in any creative arts, yeah you probably wasted money. But if you're a hard working student, you network with your professors and peers, and show ambition AND have all this reflected by a good GPA score, you'll find a good job after college, and probably could get half of your student loans paid off(if you were truly an ambitious student you probably didn't even need loans for nothing but one semester tops) AND you master degree paid for. This sh*t is a hustle like anything else...n*ggas ignorant to the game you gotta play be the main ones saying school ain't sh*t.
 6 years ago '11        #78
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,805 | Props total: 2668 2668
 lavarrengreen said:
I agree with this bra...I have my BS and its still hard out here to find a decent job. I have plans for nursing school tho cause I need something to do with my time besides feeling like a post-grad bum
Did you do internships? Do you know your career services manager's name? Did you get a 3.0 and do you have at least 3 professor's numbers or rather 3 professors who have YOUR number? It ain't the fact that you're black, I can guarantee that...corporations do back flips for ambitious college educated minorities to fill up quotas
 6 years ago '07        #79
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,327 | Props total: 1123 1123
 wjcorner said:
That's why you get good GPAs, network with people in your university that knowers in your field, and get internships/co-ops...you get out of school what you put into it. If all you do is skate by partying and smoking with a 2.6, yeah it'll be hard to get a dream job...or if you get a degree in any creative arts, yeah you probably wasted money. But if you're a hard working student, you network with your professors and peers, and show ambition AND have all this reflected by a good GPA score, you'll find a good job after college, and probably could get half of your student loans paid off(if you were truly an ambitious student you probably didn't even need loans for nothing but one semester tops) AND you master degree paid for. This sh*t is a hustle like anything else...n*ggas ignorant to the game you gotta play be the main ones saying school ain't sh*t.
I agree with a little with what your saying but not your sentiment in its entirety.. I just had a discussion with a professor of mine about GPA's we both agreed that GPA'S DONT MEAN sh*t.. they really don't... One can easily cheat, get a good GPA, graduate, and know absolutely nothing.. I know students in my program (Accounting / Finance) who cant write, critically think, or reason to save their lives.. but somehow still get the high GPA's... Critical thinking is what education should be all about.. if you cant do that, then you should just forget about it..
 6 years ago '10        #80
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35
space
space
$1,882 | Props total: 9 9
internships are smart and helpful. But realize that many organizations are in the business of using internships as a way to get free work. Additionally, unless you are gonna stay at that organization, you better make sure that internship is related to your field of choice. Don't get suckered.

Networking is were it's at. It's by far the most important thing you could possibly do in college. To some extent it's more important than your GPA (although you better have at least a 2.5 minimum)
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
88 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
122 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
83 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
69 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
49 comments
23 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
172 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
36 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy