Finance or Accounting

most viewed right now
 128
Video inside Russians catching up on the the Culture too now, Jheeeeeeeze!!
18 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 87
Video inside I’ll take “things a brotha wouldn’t do” for $200 Alex
115 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 87
May 20 - gas is now $3 a gallon on average
50 comments
@news
most viewed right now
 47
Image(s) inside Arab girls are leveling up too(got a booty and curves)
62 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 6 years ago '04        #101
ShadyKidd 
space
space
space
$380 | Props total: 0 0
 ajymerced said:
I heard if you're working an accounting job, you're usually working 50-70 hours a week. Is that true?
If you work at a big 4 audit firm you will work hours like that for 4-5 months of the year. Usually people working in audit or tax work the most hours. The Advisory/Consulting arm of the firms usually work a little bit less (closer to 50), but it all depends on what project you are working on.

It definitely isn't easy and That's why about 15% of the workforce leaves every year. In my opinion, the experience you gain is well worth the long hours. You will often hear that 1 year of big 4 public accounting is equivalent to 2-3 years in industry. This is because you get exposed to so many different companies and situations over a short period of time. If you can make it through 3-5 years of the tough work, you have a great foundation to build your career upon.
 6 years ago '07        #102
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,508 | Props total: 1294 1294
 illement said:
I just wanted to repeat that in finance it's a little harder to find jobs, if you don't have the right networking around. Network as much as you can in school. Definitely definitely get internships. They will help you out a sh*tload. Graduating with a good GPA or top of the class plus some good networking plus internships on your back should help out.
^^^ This is a great point. One of my finance professors told me this when i first decided to add Finance as my second major.. There are more opportunities in Accounting, but in the long run you may make more money in Finance....
 6 years ago '10        #103
beeboywhoo 39 heat pts39
space
avatar space
space
$4,281 | Props total: 2611 2611
I just got confirmed an 'in' at an accountancy firm in LA that made the IPA best of the best firms 2011 list .. im psyched as hell, though no guarantees.. its still good motivation
 6 years ago '11        #104
bd2eazy 38 heat pts38
space
avatar space
space
$5,199 | Props total: 241 241
what kinda things should i expect if i decide to go for
my AA -> BA in finance? Lots of math? what about it
can be interesting? what could i expect to be doing
post-grad, provided i find a job in the field? i hear that
accounting is the "safer" bet, but finance = more money
Also accounting sounds like it could be verrrry tedious.
 6 years ago '11        #105
PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1554 1554
 bd2eazy said:
what kinda things should i expect if i decide to go for
my AA -> BA in finance? Lots of math? what about it
can be interesting? what could i expect to be doing
post-grad, provided i find a job in the field? i hear that
accounting is the "safer" bet, but finance = more money
Also accounting sounds like it could be verrrry tedious.
Accounting is VERRRY tedious... the turnover ratio for accounting is higher than straight males who go into gay pr0n.
 6 years ago '05        #106
trackmanxs 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,485 | Props total: 190 190
 PTC said:
Accounting is VERRRY tedious...the turnover ratio for accounting is higher than straight males who go into gay pr0n.


[pic - click to view]

 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM         #107
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I just got another accounting job as an accounting clerk at an oil refinery, so either way it goes I'm good. I can stick with my finance major because by the time I graduate I'll have nearly four years of accounting experience. Therefore I will be able to get a job in accounting or finance.
 6 years ago '04        #108
smurfdoran 25 heat pts25
space
space
space
$2,929 | Props total: 127 127
 PTC said:
Accounting is VERRRY tedious... the turnover ratio for accounting is higher than straight males who go into gay pr0n.
 5 years ago '11        #109
ajymerced 
space
space
space
$260 | Props total: 0 0
Hey I'm an accounting major right now in my junior year. But I'm currently struggling right now. I already got a bad grade on my first accounting course(got a 2.4). If I do bad in my cost accounting course and accounting 2 class this quarter, I might pursue a different concentration like finance. But I'm still gonna work my a.ss off this quarter.

What do you guys think? Should I still do accounting even if my GPA is low or should I go for another concentration?
 5 years ago '07        #110
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,508 | Props total: 1294 1294
 ajymerced said:
Hey I'm an accounting major right now in my junior year. But I'm currently struggling right now. I already got a bad grade on my first accounting course(got a 2.4). If I do bad in my cost accounting course and accounting 2 class this quarter, I might pursue a different concentration like finance. But I'm still gonna work my a.ss off this quarter.

What do you guys think? Should I still do accounting even if my GPA is low or should I go for another concentration?
I'm guessing that you took Financial Accounting First? That is the basics.. if you cant get that then you will have a ton of trouble coming up.. Especially when you take intermediate accounting 1 and 2.. Cost accounting is focused more around managerial accounting which is not GAAP so if you can get through that you'll be good.. But if you cant get the basics I'd look to somewhere else... fu*k the grades though.. At the end of the day do you understand what's going on?
 5 years ago '11        #111
ajymerced 
space
space
space
$260 | Props total: 0 0
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
I'm guessing that you took Financial Accounting First? That is the basics.. if you cant get that then you will have a ton of trouble coming up.. Especially when you take intermediate accounting 1 and 2.. Cost accounting is focused more around managerial accounting which is not GAAP so if you can get through that you'll be good.. But if you cant get the basics I'd look to somewhere else... fu*k the grades though.. At the end of the day do you understand what's going on?
I meant that I got 2.4 in my intermediate accounting 1 class . I already took the financial accounting courses at my CC . I can understand , just takes some time . I'm currently taking intermediate account 2 and cost accounting. I heard accounting 2 is the hardest out of the series . My cost accounting class is where I'm worried . The teacher sucks , the book is dry. Why fu*k the grades , I want to maintain 3.0 in my accounting courses!
 5 years ago '07        #112
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,508 | Props total: 1294 1294
 ajymerced said:
I meant that I got 2.4 in my intermediate accounting 1 class . I already took the financial accounting courses at my CC . I can understand , just takes some time . I'm currently taking intermediate account 2 and cost accounting. I heard accounting 2 is the hardest out of the series . My cost accounting class is where I'm worried . The teacher sucks , the book is dry. Why fu*k the grades , I want to maintain 3.0 in my accounting courses!
Intermediate Accounting 1 and 2 are the HARDEST classes out of the entire curriculum... Accounting can be super dry without the right teacher, most of the books Iv'e read are dry except maybe one.. The grades are good for if you want an internship and if you want to try getting into a Big Four (I believe they only look at 3.5 and above) other than that if you understand what is really going on you can make a way for yourself... If you think its dry now it will only get worst.. wait until you start working. another thing you want to ask yourself is what do you want to do with your accounting degree? Corporate Accounting, Auditing, Tax, etc? Do you want to go for the CPA?
 5 years ago '11        #113
ajymerced 
space
space
space
$260 | Props total: 0 0
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
Intermediate Accounting 1 and 2 are the HARDEST classes out of the entire curriculum... Accounting can be super dry without the right teacher, most of the books Iv'e read are dry except maybe one.. The grades are good for if you want an internship and if you want to try getting into a Big Four (I believe they only look at 3.5 and above) other than that if you understand what is really going on you can make a way for yourself... If you think its dry now it will only get worst.. wait until you start working. another thing you want to ask yourself is what do you want to do with your accounting degree? Corporate Accounting, Auditing, Tax, etc? Do you want to go for the CPA?
I have no idea which of those I want to do yet. That's why I'm always looking for an internship. I eventually do want to pursue the CPA after some experience with a full time job. Did you major in accounting? What do you do now?
 5 years ago '07        #114
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,508 | Props total: 1294 1294
 ajymerced said:
I have no idea which of those I want to do yet. That's why I'm always looking for an internship. I eventually do want to pursue the CPA after some experience with a full time job. Did you major in accounting? What do you do now?
Yeah; I'm an Accountant for a big bank... I double majored in Accounting and Finance when I was in undergrad... studying for the CPA now...
 5 years ago '06        #115
Mr Kush 32 heat pts32
space
avatar space
space
$2,553 | Props total: 980 980
nvm..


Last edited by Mr Kush; 04-21-2013 at 03:47 PM..
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 56
Drake interview on Joe Budden podcast soon?
66 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 46
Most dangerous gym fails :obamalmao:
76 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
 40
Video inside T.I. and Rihanna playing Illuminati games
106 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 28
Image(s) inside Twitter exposed SZA as FAKE Again ( CAREER FINALLY OVER?)
207 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 26
Video inside The Deep Dark Web
137 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 18
Deadpool 2 chokes at the Box Office. Underperming at 125 mil
146 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 17
Los Angeles Hip Hop vs Atlanta Hip Hop
191 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 13
🔥🔥🔥The Notorious B.I.G. - You're Nobody Till Somebody ..
104 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy