Finance or Accounting

most viewed right now
 87
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
47 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 75
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
124 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 41
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
68 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 37
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
114 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #81
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
You cant lose with a major in MIS especially with a business concentration.. if you like it enough u might as well just double major
my school doesnt have an MIS program.
the closest to it would be CIS (computer information system).
and i figure id do a minor so i wouldnt have to drop my business administration major.
 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM         #82
Drone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Manny05 said:
I looked at at those degrees and I'm really into MIS.
But should I drop my major in business administration? I really like the field. Maybe I could do a minor in MIS ?
Business admin is too common and quite frankly useless. I went from Finance to financial economics with a minor in mathematics. That could be an option for you, a lot of people bash economics but I feel its more useful and will give you more of an advantage on all the major exams you would want to take. I didn't really enjoy finance and felt it was too monotonous and not intellectually stimulating. This could be an option or maybe financial engineering.
 04-30-2012, 12:48 AM         #83
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
heres a pretty good article I read on double majoring. Basically while youre taking all that time to double major you could have almost completed a masters degree.

 6 years ago '06        #84
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 Darkdrone said:
Business admin is too common and quite frankly useless. I went from Finance to financial economics with a minor in mathematics. That could be an option for you, a lot of people bash economics but I feel its more useful and will give you more of an advantage on all the major exams you would want to take. I didn't really enjoy finance and felt it was too monotonous and not intellectually stimulating. This could be an option or maybe financial engineering.
thats very true.
im gonna sit down with both my accounting and business advisor and figure out the best way to differentiate from everyone else.
the only reason being is because i dont want to major into something i dont like. so id like to weigh in all my options. after that, ill come back here and let you guys know what i decide so i can see what you guys think. thanks for the input
 6 years ago '06        #85
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 Real Hustler said:
heres a pretty good article I read on double majoring. Basically while youre taking all that time to double major you could have almost completed a masters degree.


good site bro. that really brought alot of things to consider.
although im convinced i should double major and still get a masters degree. probably in management..

i still have to figure out what im gonna do...
either double major in CIS and accounting.. then master degree in Management?

or accounting major and just get a masters degree in that field ..

its alot to think about
 6 years ago '04        #86
ShadyKidd 
space
space
space
$380 | Props total: 0 0
 Manny05 said:

good site bro. that really brought alot of things to consider.
although im convinced i should double major and still get a masters degree. probably in management..

i still have to figure out what im gonna do...
either double major in CIS and accounting.. then master degree in Management?

or accounting major and just get a masters degree in that field ..

its alot to think about
Don't get you undergrad and masters in the same degree as that rarely opens up new opportunities for you. I have an undergrad in IT (similar to CIS) and masters in accountancy. This allowed me to apply for IT and accounting jobs.

I also agree that a business admin undergrad isn't very useful. Your much better off with your MBA.

If you have any interest in accounting, make sure you meet your state's requirements to sit for the CPA exam. That is a powerful credential that holds respect across industries.
 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM         #87
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Darkdrone said:
Business admin is too common and quite frankly useless. I went from Finance to financial economics with a minor in mathematics. That could be an option for you, a lot of people bash economics but I feel its more useful and will give you more of an advantage on all the major exams you would want to take. I didn't really enjoy finance and felt it was too monotonous and not intellectually stimulating. This could be an option or maybe financial engineering.
you cannot say that it is useful when people are getting out of school making great money with undergrads in business admin. From what I have seen an undergrad in business admin depends on how hard the person works and their drive.
 6 years ago '07        #88
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,328 | Props total: 1124 1124
 Real Hustler said:
heres a pretty good article I read on double majoring. Basically while youre taking all that time to double major you could have almost completed a masters degree.

I double majored in Accounting and Finance and completed my program in the same amount of time that someone would usually complete one degree, but I think it may depend on the school because a lot of my Accoutning Classes counted toward my Finance major and vice versa. So I really wasn't doubling up... Good article though none the less
 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM         #89
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
I double majored in Accounting and Finance and completed my program in the same amount of time that someone would usually complete one degree, but I think it may depend on the school because a lot of my Accoutning Classes counted toward my Finance major and vice versa. So I really wasn't doubling up... Good article though none the less
Yeah it depends on the school. At my campus only the pre req classes count for both majors.
 6 years ago '06        #90
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 ShadyKidd said:
Don't get you undergrad and masters in the same degree as that rarely opens up new opportunities for you. I have an undergrad in IT (similar to CIS) and masters in accountancy. This allowed me to apply for IT and accounting jobs.

I also agree that a business admin undergrad isn't very useful. Your much better off with your MBA.

If you have any interest in accounting, make sure you meet your state's requirements to sit for the CPA exam. That is a powerful credential that holds respect across industries.
Yea I was planning to take the CPA when I graduate.but thats a good point. I think I'm gonna double major in accounting and cis. And master in either business admin or finance.
 6 years ago '04        #91
ShadyKidd 
space
space
space
$380 | Props total: 0 0
 Manny05 said:
Yea I was planning to take the CPA when I graduate.but thats a good point. I think I'm gonna double major in accounting and cis. And master in either business admin or finance.
Sounds like a good plan. If you can pull all that off with a good GPA and an internship or two, you will be set.

If you are planning on gettin your masters at the same school as your undergrad, start talking to your advisor or administrators about how to accelerate your grad degree. I did exactly this and was able to leverage elective courses during my undergrad to fulfill grad level requirements. This could save you time and money.
 6 years ago '08        #92
Keno 19 heat pts19
space
avatar space
space
$7,053 | Props total: 4898 4898
I know this is late but just double major they overlap... so you should only have to take 3 or 4 extra 4000 level classes
 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM         #93
Drone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Manny05 said:
Yea I was planning to take the CPA when I graduate.but thats a good point. I think I'm gonna double major in accounting and cis. And master in either business admin or finance.
Double majoring is very hard bro, if you think you have the intelligence to pull it off then go ahead. I know people who double major and then couldn't handle it and then just had to do one major. Its your call. If you think you can afford all the different text books and handle the classes then go right ahead.
 6 years ago '06        #94
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 Darkdrone said:
Double majoring is very hard bro, if you think you have the intelligence to pull it off then go ahead. I know people who double major and then couldn't handle it and then just had to do one major. Its your call. If you think you can afford all the different text books and handle the classes then go right ahead.
Yea I'll be fine. Only reason I'm confident is because the classes I'm taking for business are classes I need for accounting. So I'm not wasting time.

I just have to see if cis has some accounting classes or business classes. I hope so. It will save me a lot of time.
 6 years ago '04        #95
EmOnEyBaGz175 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$8,002 | Props total: 0 0
Whatever you do make sure you finish your major. I regret only getting an a.ssociates in accounting, I've had some luck getting some interviews. I always get to the last interview phase because of my customer service experience but always get shut down because I don't have a bachelors.
 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM         #96
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Check this article
 6 years ago '10        #97
beeboywhoo 38 heat pts38
space
avatar space
space
$4,193 | Props total: 2361 2361
I'm an accounting major.. ~3.0 gpa, and have interned in an accounting office, haven't really reached out to any firms yet for an interview since i got to take a couple classes during the summer and have to figure out how to fit that in with a working schedule,

but i like accounting a lot of my friends are finance majors and some enjoy it , and some have went back to school for a masters in accounting

anyways, either will be fine and finance/accounting can do other business jobs , but not vice versa.

SHOUT OUT THE CLASS OF 2012!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOP
 6 years ago '11        #98
ajymerced 
space
space
space
$260 | Props total: 0 0
I heard if you're working an accounting job, you're usually working 50-70 hours a week. Is that true?
 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM         #99
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ajymerced said:
I heard if you're working an accounting job, you're usually working 50-70 hours a week. Is that true?
if youre an auditor for a huge company, and I think alot of CPA's work long hours.
 6 years ago '10        #100
illement 10 heat pts10
space
avatar space
space
$12,489 | Props total: 1533 1533
I just wanted to repeat that in finance it's a little harder to find jobs, if you don't have the right networking around. Network as much as you can in school. Definitely definitely get internships. They will help you out a sh*tload. Graduating with a good GPA or top of the class plus some good networking plus internships on your back should help out.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 42
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
106 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 39
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
79 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 39
vida guerra
82 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 26
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
114 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 25
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
31 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 23
Image(s) inside Chevy has once again fu-ked up the Camaro.. Is it time to discontinue ..
32 comments
19 hours ago
@rides
most viewed right now
 22
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
185 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 21
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
53 comments
19 hours ago
@news
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy