Finance or Accounting

most viewed right now
 174
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
39 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 147
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 109
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
128 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 72
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
51 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM         #61
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
How do you major in business admin? Sorry if I sound stupid
I was thinking the same thing. Thought you had to have an emphasis.
 6 years ago '06        #62
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,488 | Props total: 17932 17932
[Join the accounting society or whatever its called at your school. Don't have to go all the meetings. Looks good on a resume.]

Lol this is church. I joined like 7-8 clubs and went once
 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM         #63
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
[Join the accounting society or whatever its called at your school. Don't have to go all the meetings. Looks good on a resume.]

Lol this is church. I joined like 7-8 clubs and went once
yea theyre are right. I joined and Ive never been to a meeting. They always send me emails of internship and job offers.
 6 years ago '06        #64
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 Real Hustler said:
I was thinking the same thing. Thought you had to have an emphasis.
What do you guys mean ??? An emphasis on what ??
I figure since I like business I could build a resume around that and build a resume for a accounting so that I would have a chance in getting a solid job in either field ..
I want to be prepare for anything so I don't have to go back to school later..
 6 years ago '07        #65
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,325 | Props total: 1111 1111
 Manny05 said:
What do you guys mean ??? An emphasis on what ??
I figure since I like business I could build a resume around that and build a resume for a accounting so that I would have a chance in getting a solid job in either field ..
I want to be prepare for anything so I don't have to go back to school later..
I think he means concentration or major, for example my degree is gonna be a bachelors of Business Administration degree with an emphasis on Accounting and Finance which are my majors
 6 years ago '06        #66
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,488 | Props total: 17932 17932
Exactly, in my school business admin is just a core of classes then you take your concentrations classes. I guess every school is different though.
 6 years ago '06        #67
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
really? ive never even heard of that. i think my school has it setup differently, because just yesterday i went to the dean of students office to declare my double major. both the management and accounting have alot of the same classes so thats why its easy for me to just take both.
im gonna email my advisor though to make sure.
 6 years ago '04        #68
ShadyKidd 
space
space
space
$380 | Props total: 0 0
I'm a CPA who works for one of the big four firms. Here are a few things I would recommend.

1. Get an accounting degree in combination with management or MIS degree. This will differentiate you from the 'number crunching' accountants. If you have an accounting degree, make sure you get your CPA.

2. Internships are absolutely critical. Literally every person who started on my team in the last 4 years had an internship with some reputable company before getting hired.

3. If you want to avoid the horrible hours and miserable work, apply for jobs in the Advisory or Consulting groups of public accounting firms. Jobs like this look for students with various business backgrounds who have great personalities to put in front of clients. You usually work less hours and get paid more than audit or tax.

4. Working for a public accounting firm will give you an amazing start to your career. The experience you gain is extremely valuable in the market place. Not exaggerating, I get at least 2 calls every week from recruiters trying to lure me away from my firm because my skillset is in high demand.
 04-27-2012, 10:10 PM         #69
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ShadyKidd said:
I'm a CPA who works for one of the big four firms. Here are a few things I would recommend.

1. Get an accounting degree in combination with management or MIS degree. This will differentiate you from the 'number crunching' accountants. If you have an accounting degree, make sure you get your CPA.

2. Internships are absolutely critical. Literally every person who started on my team in the last 4 years had an internship with some reputable company before getting hired.

3. If you want to avoid the horrible hours and miserable work, apply for jobs in the Advisory or Consulting groups of public accounting firms. Jobs like this look for students with various business backgrounds who have great personalities to put in front of clients. You usually work less hours and get paid more than audit or tax.

4. Working for a public accounting firm will give you an amazing start to your career. The experience you gain is extremely valuable in the market place. Not exaggerating, I get at least 2 calls every week from recruiters trying to lure me away from my firm because my skillset is in high demand.
what big 4 company do you work?
 6 years ago '06        #70
Doe Sun 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$796 | Props total: 354 354
if you don't have confidence in your abilities, do accounting. less risk, more stable career.

if you have confidence in yourself, do finance. more risk, more reward, less stable...but like i said, if you have confidence in yourself, you'll have a job...so its really not that unstable
 6 years ago '07        #71
BigAssTree 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$546 | Props total: 0 0
 Rique said:
You're the first person I've heard say the CFA was a piece of cake. Most ppl say the CFA is harder than the CPA and we all know the CPA is a hard exam. You might be a genius
Maybe he meant the CFA Level 1. I've heard from many who want to break into finance that if you don't plan on completing the CFA, don't even bother taking the level 1 exam because passing that is not that impressive to hiring managers.

I got an Economics degree from a UC over here in Cali and have been trying to break into accounting and it's been very tough. Every job wants like 3+ years experience in accounting. For all those still in school, there's one thing I need to tell you: DO INTERNSHIPS!! I made the mistake of not doing any internships and after graduation I've had a hard time breaking into the industry.


Last edited by BigAssTree; 04-28-2012 at 02:33 AM..
 6 years ago '06        #72
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,488 | Props total: 17932 17932
 Manny05 said:
really? ive never even heard of that. i think my school has it setup differently, because just yesterday i went to the dean of students office to declare my double major. both the management and accounting have alot of the same classes so thats why its easy for me to just take both.
im gonna email my advisor though to make sure.
So the concentration is management then it isnt business admin. That is where the confusion was. You said double major in business admin and accounting you meant in business admin management and accounting be sure you put that on your resume or interviewers will look at you funny or HR might not even call you
 6 years ago '06        #73
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 Rique said:
So the concentration is management then it isnt business admin. That is where the confusion was. You said double major in business admin and accounting you meant in business admin management and accounting be sure you put that on your resume or interviewers will look at you funny or HR might not even call you
Yeaaa exactly. I figured it out last night.. I forgot that it's all under the school of management.
I was gonna ask you guys what you think I should minor in. I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as a minor meaning idk if I can take finance as a minor or etc...
Some of these advisors aren't that helpful-_- so I figure I asked here
 6 years ago '06        #74
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 ShadyKidd said:
I'm a CPA who works for one of the big four firms. Here are a few things I would recommend.

1. Get an accounting degree in combination with management or MIS degree. This will differentiate you from the 'number crunching' accountants. If you have an accounting degree, make sure you get your CPA.

2. Internships are absolutely critical. Literally every person who started on my team in the last 4 years had an internship with some reputable company before getting hired.

3. If you want to avoid the horrible hours and miserable work, apply for jobs in the Advisory or Consulting groups of public accounting firms. Jobs like this look for students with various business backgrounds who have great personalities to put in front of clients. You usually work less hours and get paid more than audit or tax.

4. Working for a public accounting firm will give you an amazing start to your career. The experience you gain is extremely valuable in the market place. Not exaggerating, I get at least 2 calls every week from recruiters trying to lure me away from my firm because my skillset is in high demand.
Thanks for those tips
I'm gonna work hard to follow these
 6 years ago '07        #75
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,325 | Props total: 1111 1111
 Manny05 said:
Yeaaa exactly. I figured it out last night.. I forgot that it's all under the school of management.
I was gonna ask you guys what you think I should minor in. I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as a minor meaning idk if I can take finance as a minor or etc...
Some of these advisors aren't that helpful-_- so I figure I asked here
Just speaking from my experience academic advisors are pretty much worthless for anything other than scheduling classes, and if I was you I'd take that into my own hands... My advisor was supposed to be the "accounting advisor" but couldn't tell me anything about the requirements to become a CPA... If I was you, as far as a minor is concerned do something outside of the scope of business that can help you expand your business potential.. for example I took a huge amount of japanese, and chinese language classes.. and that really has been standing out to employers..
 6 years ago '06        #76
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
Just speaking from my experience academic advisors are pretty much worthless for anything other than scheduling classes, and if I was you I'd take that into my own hands... My advisor was supposed to be the "accounting advisor" but couldn't tell me anything about the requirements to become a CPA... If I was you, as far as a minor is concerned do something outside of the scope of business that can help you expand your business potential.. for example I took a huge amount of japanese, and chinese language classes.. and that really has been standing out to employers..
Thanks for the info.
And yea i I was thinking of either taking a language class or maybe cis? I love computers and since technology had been advancing tremendously I figure I learn more about it so I can apply it to my work.

Can't I take finance as a minor though?
Also for my resume I have that I am working on a Bachelor of management in business administration and accounting.. Is that how it's supposed to be written?
 6 years ago '04        #77
ShadyKidd 
space
space
space
$380 | Props total: 0 0
 Manny05 said:
Thanks for the info.
And yea i I was thinking of either taking a language class or maybe cis? I love computers and since technology had been advancing tremendously I figure I learn more about it so I can apply it to my work.

Can't I take finance as a minor though?
Also for my resume I have that I am working on a Bachelor of management in business administration and accounting.. Is that how it's supposed to be written?
From my personal experience, combining an accounting degree with an IT or MIS degree is a fantastic combination. IT Audit professionals are in demand in both public and private sector.
 6 years ago '06        #78
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 ShadyKidd said:
From my personal experience, combining an accounting degree with an IT or MIS degree is a fantastic combination. IT Audit professionals are in demand in both public and private sector.
I looked at at those degrees and I'm really into MIS.
But should I drop my major in business administration? I really like the field. Maybe I could do a minor in MIS ?
 6 years ago '06        #79
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,488 | Props total: 17932 17932
Minor doesn't really mean nothing IMO
 6 years ago '07        #80
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,325 | Props total: 1111 1111
 Manny05 said:
I looked at at those degrees and I'm really into MIS.
But should I drop my major in business administration? I really like the field. Maybe I could do a minor in MIS ?
You cant lose with a major in MIS especially with a business concentration.. if you like it enough u might as well just double major
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 32
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 30
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
98 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 30
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
57 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 15
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 14
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
115 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 10
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
290 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 8
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
85 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 7
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
256 comments
2 days ago
@news
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy