Finance or Accounting

most viewed right now
 148
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
98 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 110
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
232 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 91
NBA Big Baller Brand Shoe Review
54 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 82
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
28 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #21
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,516 | Props total: 17943 17943
 Real Hustler said:
I know I should, but I dont know if I can take the pay cut with summer coming up. I get paid to work in the states accounting office, and I have a job interview with an asian sushi companies payroll department. I am definitely going to weigh out the options. I noticed in the stock thread you work for merill lynch. How did you get that opportunity?
Interned for them and got hired. You meet a lot of ppl at school career fairs also met a guy from the DEA thats actively recruiting.
 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM         #22
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thats a super good look. what did you major in?
 6 years ago '05        #23
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$7,730 | Props total: 2218 2218
I personally might go back to school for Accounting. Its the one business major that you will always get a job in.
 6 years ago '05        #24
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$13,052 | Props total: 646 646
im actually reconsidering switching over to accounting from finance

the consensus from majority of the business connections ive made in the past years, highly reputable business men in their perspective fields ranging from business banking, forensics accountants and lawyers have advised me in doing so, not to mention i have their recommendations, ontop of business opportunitys that await for me once i finish

figure finish bachelors in accounting and if i dont like it, then do mba in finace


Last edited by Deeangoe; 04-19-2012 at 10:38 PM..
 6 years ago '11        #25
PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551
Accounting sucks d!ck unless you love computing numbers and have your life revolve around that idea. I'll give you guys some perspective given that my closest friends work in the field, graduated already..etc.

First off, will finding a job be easier with accounting right now? Probably, but if you live in a major city and you have a truly driven mind set, you can find a job with any degree.. that's my opinion. (this has nothing to do with the topic at hand tho).

Yo a.sses gon be working till 11pm every night and come in the next day at 8-9 during tax season. Tax season is twice a year, 3 months per season, so about half the year your life is sh*t. No time for sh*t, you're going to be sitting down all day computing numbers, that's it.

Again you're computing numbers all day... then stuck on a salary working those hours puts your hourly rate down to McDonalds wages (exaggeration). But it really brings it down... you're working 60-70 hour weeks... and if you're chasing bonuses this is a guarantee. Saturdays? Yup.

You can make a little money on the side doing peoples taxes that you know, that's a perk.

But to be completely honest... your LIFE will be gone during tax seasons. Anyone who knows about the tax industry or works in it knows this. You're computing numbers ALL DAY EVERY DAY. Accounting (and finance for that matter) have some the highest turnover ratios. Most people who do it get out within 2-3 years because it's just takes over your life. That's the truth.
 6 years ago '04        #26
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
avatar space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
 PTC said:
Accounting sucks d!ck unless you love computing numbers and have your life revolve around that idea. I'll give you guys some perspective given that my closest friends work in the field, graduated already..etc.

First off, will finding a job be easier with accounting right now? Probably, but if you live in a major city and you have a truly driven mind set, you can find a job with any degree.. that's my opinion. (this has nothing to do with the topic at hand tho).

Yo a.sses gon be working till 11pm every night and come in the next day at 8-9 during tax season. Tax season is twice a year, 3 months per season, so about half the year your life is sh*t. No time for sh*t, you're going to be sitting down all day computing numbers, that's it.

Again you're computing numbers all day... then stuck on a salary working those hours puts your hourly rate down to McDonalds wages (exaggeration). But it really brings it down... you're working 60-70 hour weeks... and if you're chasing bonuses this is a guarantee. Saturdays? Yup.

You can make a little money on the side doing peoples taxes that you know, that's a perk.

But to be completely honest... your LIFE will be gone during tax seasons. Anyone who knows about the tax industry or works in it knows this. You're computing numbers ALL DAY EVERY DAY. Accounting (and finance for that matter) have some the highest turnover ratios. Most people who do it get out within 2-3 years because it's just takes over your life. That's the truth.
Really? You have to "compute numbers" if you are an accountant?


Last edited by hockeythug; 04-19-2012 at 11:58 PM..
 6 years ago '11        #27
PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551
 hockeythug said:
Really? You have to "compute numbers" if you are an accountant?
You failed at trying to be sarcastic considering my post was a bit more in depth than, "accounting sucks because you have to compute numbers."


Last edited by PTC; 04-20-2012 at 02:48 AM..
 6 years ago '06        #28
Doe Sun 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$797 | Props total: 354 354
I did both. Pay is way better in finance. Accountants don't think outside the box and is enclosed in their little accounting world.
 6 years ago '06        #29
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,516 | Props total: 17943 17943
 Doe Sun said:
I did both. Pay is way better in finance. Accountants don't think outside the box and is enclosed in their little accounting world.
Well finance pays more in the long run IMO. Don't know about entry level, but a lot of ppl that are in accounting get Finance jobs later in their career after they get some experience and get paid well. Both are good majors, but with a degree you can only do so much. You have to use the skills you are truly supposed to learn in college which is networking. Nothing is more important than networking. I've seen a few ppl from my university (which is a small one) with 2.7's make 58-60k entry level as a financial analyst. Go to every job fair you can at school even if you aren't graduating for another year or two. Introduce yourself to everyone it will look great if they see you again the following year when you're going to graduate and you hand them your resume.
 6 years ago '11        #30
PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551
 Rique said:
Well finance pays more in the long run IMO. Don't know about entry level, but a lot of ppl that are in accounting get Finance jobs later in their career after they get some experience and get paid well. Both are good majors, but with a degree you can only do so much. You have to use the skills you are truly supposed to learn in college which is networking. Nothing is more important than networking. I've seen a few ppl from my university (which is a small one) with 2.7's make 58-60k entry level as a financial analyst. Go to every job fair you can at school even if you aren't graduating for another year or two. Introduce yourself to everyone it will look great if they see you again the following year when you're going to graduate and you hand them your resume.
Real.

Accountants do usually go to finance, but never the other way around.
 04-21-2012, 04:30 PM         #31
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
Well finance pays more in the long run IMO. Don't know about entry level, but a lot of ppl that are in accounting get Finance jobs later in their career after they get some experience and get paid well. Both are good majors, but with a degree you can only do so much. You have to use the skills you are truly supposed to learn in college which is networking. Nothing is more important than networking. I've seen a few ppl from my university (which is a small one) with 2.7's make 58-60k entry level as a financial analyst. Go to every job fair you can at school even if you aren't graduating for another year or two. Introduce yourself to everyone it will look great if they see you again the following year when you're going to graduate and you hand them your resume.
what did you major in bro?
 6 years ago '07        #32
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,327 | Props total: 1118 1118
 Ghostface08 said:
Accounting is a little harder and takes longer but it is a better degree. Either one looks good on the resume tho.

Im in my junior year of Finance right now and already got jobs lined up after I get my degree. Make sure you get an internship and establish relationships with the right people in your area
See; my opinion is completely contrary to yours.. Im a Finance and Accounting double major, in literally my last week until I graduate and I thought that Finance was way harder.. It may be just how I've always looked at Accounting but I think it is necessary to major or atleast minor in one or the other if either one of the majors is picked up.. I had spoken to a finance professor of mine when I was contemplating to pick up the Finance major because at one point I was just accounting, and he said that there are WAY MORE opportunities in accounting than Finance....
 6 years ago '07        #33
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,327 | Props total: 1118 1118
 Doe Sun said:
I did both. Pay is way better in finance. Accountants don't think outside the box and is enclosed in their little accounting world.
This is true as hell.. Ive been seeing a ton of evidence of this lately
 6 years ago '06        #34
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,516 | Props total: 17943 17943
 Real Hustler said:
what did you major in bro?
Finance
 6 years ago '06        #35
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,516 | Props total: 17943 17943
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
See; my opinion is completely contrary to yours.. Im a Finance and Accounting double major, in literally my last week until I graduate and I thought that Finance was way harder.. It may be just how I've always looked at Accounting but I think it is necessary to major or atleast minor in one or the other if either one of the majors is picked up.. I had spoken to a finance professor of mine when I was contemplating to pick up the Finance major because at one point I was just accounting, and he said that there are WAY MORE opportunities in accounting than Finance....
I agree and the reason why I agree is because most of the finance standardized exams are open to everyone. Even the CFP is open if you have a CPA, but finance majors cant take the CPA
 6 years ago '09        #36
mtva24 224 heat pts224
space
avatar space
space
$8,831 | Props total: 1141 1141
I went back to school for a post-baccaluaureate certificate in Accounting (finished in May) and I landed a Staff Accountant job in healthcare. My job is pretty laid back, I only work over during month-end close.
 6 years ago '07        #37
Captain Fresh 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$9,025 | Props total: 7529 7529
 Ghostface08 said:
Accounting is a little harder and takes longer but it is a better degree. Either one looks good on the resume tho.

Im in my junior year of Finance right now and already got jobs lined up after I get my degree. Make sure you get an internship and establish relationships with the right people in your area
this

very important to build relationships within those internships for possible job opportunities. One thing i pushed me into the field is the never ending need for an accountant. No matter what ppl are looking for an accountant. Build that resume and your guaranteed a solid position. Thus far i got my undergraduate degree and a masters in accounting. Just working now and planning on taking the cpa exam within the year. Also, look into State jobs because most accounting positions in the govt require you to take the cpa exam and they reimburse you for taking it. got to take advantage of that loophole.

And you can do sh*t other than "calculate numbers" like somewhat said earlier. You can work in the field as a revenue agent, auditor, etc. Just find your niche.
 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM         #38
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
Finance
do you think you would have been better off in accounting, or are you satisfied with the finance degree?
 04-23-2012, 10:40 AM         #39
Drone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
CFA exam was a piece of cake and I am not even in finance, and that plus some experience will land you a decent financial analyst position.
 6 years ago '06        #40
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,516 | Props total: 17943 17943
 Darkdrone said:
CFA exam was a piece of cake and I am not even in finance, and that plus some experience will land you a decent financial analyst position.
You're the first person I've heard say the CFA was a piece of cake. Most ppl say the CFA is harder than the CPA and we all know the CPA is a hard exam. You might be a genius
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 71
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 49
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
98 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 45
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 27
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
105 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 22
When You Catch The Homie Wearin Fake Red 11s
14 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
 21
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
46 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 18
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
55 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 12
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
137 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy