Finance or Accounting

most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
98 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
232 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Big Baller Brand Shoe Review
54 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Boose just dropped album of the year with Boopac :chuuch:
48 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM         #1
9055 pageviews
114 comments

Real Hustler 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Finance or Accounting

I am unsure of what to major in accounting or finance. I am a 19 year old sophmore that will be declaring his major soon. I have taken a couple of business pre requisite courses. I currently work as a student a.ssistant in an accounting office with the state of California. Finance seems to be more interesting, but I hear that accounting can cover both areas thoroughly. Any advice.

114 comments for "Finance or Accounting"

6 years ago '10        #2
eightytyson06 39 heat pts39
space
space
$16,755 | Props total: 8688 8688
acct, but both are hard
 04-17-2012, 12:33 PM         #3
Corizzimo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
im about to conclude my accounting degree, you need to take 3+ finance classes for electives(or atlest thats what i did) and i feel pretty informed in both areas
 6 years ago '06        #4
Qbert 22 heat pts22
space
space
$4,635 | Props total: 2541 2541
I took Finance, Accounting seems easier to get the jobs. I have not gotten a job in Finance yet.
 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM         #5
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Qbert said:
I took Finance, Accounting seems easier to get the jobs. I have not gotten a job in Finance yet.
do you have any prior business experience?
 6 years ago '10        #6
eightytyson06 39 heat pts39
space
space
$16,755 | Props total: 8688 8688
 Qbert said:
this acct is respected more from what i hear....my teacher even told us how many of the job posting for finance jobs were filled by people who had regular business degree
 6 years ago '06        #7
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
$40,516 | Props total: 17943 17943
Finance is harder to break in if you dont go to a great school or have connections
 6 years ago '04        #8
Ghostface08 19 heat pts19
space
space
$626 | Props total: 1 1
Accounting is a little harder and takes longer but it is a better degree. Either one looks good on the resume tho.

Im in my junior year of Finance right now and already got jobs lined up after I get my degree. Make sure you get an internship and establish relationships with the right people in your area
 6 years ago '06        #9
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
 Ghostface08 said:
Accounting is a little harder and takes longer but it is a better degree. Either one looks good on the resume tho.

Im in my junior year of Finance right now and already got jobs lined up after I get my degree. Make sure you get an internship and establish relationships with the right people in your area
what kind of jobs?
 6 years ago '04        #10
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,808 | Props total: 1476 1476
Accounting hands down... dudes at my school get like accounting jobs weekly... sh*t is ridiculous only business major that you will clearly get a job...
 6 years ago '06        #11
Qbert 22 heat pts22
space
space
 Real Hustler said:
do you have any prior business experience?
No I don't have prior experience, I just graduated with a diploma.
 6 years ago '06        #12
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
 Qbert said:
No I don't have prior experience, I just graduated with a diploma.
No internships or anything? Good luck man. You might have to take a small position at a bank and bust your a.ss to move up
 6 years ago '06        #13
Qbert 22 heat pts22
space
space
 Rique said:
No internships or anything? Good luck man. You might have to take a small position at a bank and bust your a.ss to move up
I had a job placement actually now that you mention it. I think you'e right, thats the best thing to do.
 6 years ago '04        #14
Ghostface08 19 heat pts19
space
space
$626 | Props total: 1 1
 Rique said:
what kind of jobs?
Entry level personal banker at J.P. Morgan and the other at Nothstar Resources (company I interned for)

My GPA is only around a 3.0 but people skills, work experience, and the right connections have helped me out a lot. If you know anyone who has a respectable position in the business world, give them a call and see if there is any chance you could intern for them, even if its without pay.
 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM         #15
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Okay appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking that my experience in the accounting office should help. Plus I was offered an internship with the soccer team chivas finance department, but it is unpaid. I am going to hold it off until right before my senior year.
 6 years ago '06        #16
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
 Real Hustler said:
Okay appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking that my experience in the accounting office should help. Plus I was offered an internship with the soccer team chivas finance department, but it is unpaid. I am going to hold it off until right before my senior year.
id take it now even unpaid. Ppl are graduating with 2-3 internships now.
 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM         #17
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
id take it now even unpaid. Ppl are graduating with 2-3 internships now.
I know I should, but I dont know if I can take the pay cut with summer coming up. I get paid to work in the states accounting office, and I have a job interview with an asian sushi companies payroll department. I am definitely going to weigh out the options. I noticed in the stock thread you work for merill lynch. How did you get that opportunity?
 6 years ago '05        #18
Shazam 33 heat pts33
space
space
$2,264 | Props total: 1230 1230
Unless you go to a target school, just do accounting. The material is actually a lot more boring than finance, but you'll have a much easier time finding a job. And once you get some work experience you can actually move into finance positions. Whatever you do, be sure to go to your university's career center early and try to formulate goals and a plan to figure out what you want after you graduate and how you're going to get there. People who complain about not getting jobs are the ones who NEVER made an appointment with the career advisers... your tuition is paying their salary so might as well use their services. Get on whatever mailing list the career center has and check your school's job database frequently.

full disclosre: i'm an accounting major.

EDIT: also, just to emphasize the importance of going to your career center... it can be very helpful to have a good relationship with the career advisers at your school because if they always see you, see you at career events, and see you always representing yourself in a way that they feel is the image that they want to project to employers at your school, they can put you onto opportunities that you might not find out about otherwise or have to be invited to. stuff like getting invited as a student ambassador for wealthy alums/visitors and show them around campus and have lunch with them. or they might select you for pilot programs that they're trying for the first time.

i've learned now that i'm almost done with my undergrad business degree is that SOFT SKILLS MATTER A LOT for business schools and what kind of job you get afterwards. know the people in your business school who can pull the right strings for you and it can be very beneficial. I know people who have close to 4.00 GPAs and don't have anything lined up for after graduation. And I know people with slightly over 3.00 GPAs (always keep your GPA above 3.00 tho) who have very nice consulting jobs lined up, people with 3.20s who broke into investment banking, etc. It's all soft skills. It's not that GPA doesn't matter at all but it doesn't matter beyond a point... different employers have different GPA policies but even the most sought after employers on campus don't really care as long as it's over 3.5... most are lower probably 3.2 looks good, and others really don't care as long as it's over 3.0. once you meet the cutoff it's all networking...

Last edited by Shazam; 04-18-2012 at 01:57 PM..
 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM         #19
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Shazam said:
Unless you go to a target school, just do accounting. The material is actually a lot more boring than finance, but you'll have a much easier time finding a job. And once you get some work experience you can actually move into finance positions. Whatever you do, be sure to go to your university's career center early and try to formulate goals and a plan to figure out what you want after you graduate and how you're going to get there. People who complain about not getting jobs are the ones who NEVER made an appointment with the career advisers... your tuition is paying their salary so might as well use their services. Get on whatever mailing list the career center has and check your school's job database frequently.

full disclosre: i'm an accounting major.
Im getting experience now while I am in school, so hopefully finding a job wont be a problem. Yea that is what I am concerned about, accounting is a little boring and tedious. Have you done any internships?
 6 years ago '05        #20
Shazam 33 heat pts33
space
space
$2,264 | Props total: 1230 1230
 Real Hustler said:
Im getting experience now while I am in school, so hopefully finding a job wont be a problem. Yea that is what I am concerned about, accounting is a little boring and tedious. Have you done any internships?
yea i did an internship... the work itself was interesting/challenging still because i was learning a lot but i can see it becoming pretty boring after a few months. if you find your accounting classes unbearably boring, you will find positions in accounting unbearably boring as well and should not major in accounting but instead do a finance degree if you find it that much more interesting. it's not like finance majors don't find jobs, they just have to be willing to work harder to find them.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
98 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
46 comments
23 hours ago