10 Facts Everyone Gets Wrong!

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
74 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Charlamagne Tha god & Joe Budden Working On A New Show.
131 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
50 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
35 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '09        #1
6109 pageviews
22 comments

Brainwave 5389 heat pts5389
space
space
$18,418 | Props total: 5 5
10 Facts Everyone Gets Wrong!

[pic - click to view]

10 Tae Kwon Do is only around 60 years old

There is a lot of misinformation because Korea wants the world to believe TKD is an ancient art. Some people think I'm saying tae kwon do isn't based on older martial arts. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying tae kwon do is NOT based on taekkyon or other so called "ancient" arts from Korea and is fact based on karate and a little chuan fa. I lay this all out in great detail in my thesis.

Expert opinion:
The martial arts of Korea's tae kwon do can indeed be traced back to ancient Japan, China and ancient Korea, but as it is practiced today, the "way of the smashing foot and hand" is not even a century old.

According to tae kwon do scholar and black belt Dakin Burd!ck, Japan began a long and difficult occupation of Korea in 1905, which included banning the practice of martial arts, beginning in 1909. This ban was lifted as the Japanese began preparing to enter World War II, introducing several forms to the occupied Koreans, including judo, karate and kung fu. The occupation ended in 1945, but the country was now hooked on studying Japanese forms of martial arts, just as forms native to Korea such as tae kyon and subak also began to make a comeback.

Hang Hi Choi, the father of tae kwon do, himself was trained in shotokan karate. But after the war, as a major general in the Korean military, he was instrumental in helping to unify the many similar schools, or kwans, arising in Korea. In 1957, the unified form was crowned tae kwon do in 1957.

[pic - click to view]

9 A Car Is Safe In A Lightning Storm

A car is safe during a lightning storm because the metal frame will conduct the electricity around you. The tires have nothing to do with it.

Expert opinion:
The misconception about cars in lightning storms is that the rubber tires, poor conductors of electricity that they are, provide the occupant with protection. By that reasoning, you could dodge lightning strikes with a good pair of galoshes.

While the National Weather Service cautions that no outdoor location is completely safe during a lightning storm, they, and the American Meteorological Society, agree that metal cars (or vans or buses) only provide protection for the occupants if the windows are fully rolled up, the car isn't a convertible and no one in the car is touching any metal-based aspect of the interior (the car's metal frame is your protection). Satisfy these conditions, and you're in a pretty safe place.
8 Cracking Your Knuckles Won't Give You Arthritis

I know that cracking your knuckles does nothing detrimental to the joints, but everyone tells me I am going to get arthritis. Can someone provide reliable sources that demonstrate how cracking knuckles reduces grip strength?

There's a doctor who cracked the knuckles on one hand but not the other for 60 years, earning him an Ig Nobel prize (he did it to prove his mother wrong).

Expert opinion:
It might bring you a little relief, it might make others squeamish, but cracking your knuckles won't lead to arthritis.

Nathan Wei, MD of arthritistreatmentcenter.com, a board-certified rheumatologist with more than 30 years of practice and clinical research experience, told us, "Multiple studies have shown that the knuckle-cracking phenomenon is related to the bubbles of nitrogen that pop during joint movement. There is no a.ssociation between knuckle cracking and the subsequent development of arthritis."

[pic - click to view]

7 We don't only use 10% of our brain

I don't know if anyone really believes this, but since it was like the crux of that Bradley Cooper movie, we don't only use 10% of our brain.

The origins of this neuro-nonsense are not known, but let's hope this is the beginning of its end; too many smart people are spending too much brain power having to snuff it out again and again.

Expert opinion:
According to writer and skeptic Rebecca Watson at skepchick.org, this notion has zero basis in science. "People enjoy thinking that they have incredible untapped abilities, and so the 10% myth is often used as evidence of the existence of fun superpowers like ESP or telekinesis." After over a century's worth of research, however, science has found a task or function for every part of the organ. "People who only use 10% of their brains," added Watson, "are most likely not even conscious."

[pic - click to view]

6 Skunked beer doesn't really exist

Unless taken to extremes (like almost freezing), allowing beer to go from room temp to refrigerator temp to room temp will not cause it to skunk, spoil or otherwise go bad. Beer goes through somewhere between three to five temperature swings between the time it's brewed and the time it arrives in the beer cooler at your local store. If moderate temperature swings had any effect, the beer would all be ruined before the store even received it.

Expert opinion:
You buy a case of chilled beer. When you take it out to drink it, you don't drink the entire case, and although the beers are warm, you return them to the fridge. Will this cause a beer to "skunk" -- literally taste not unlike the hideous spray of a skunk?

Not according to Charles Bamforth, the Anheuser-Busch Endowed Professor of Brewing Science at the University of California, Davis. Instead, Bamforth points to the molecular effects of natural light on isohumulones, the bitter compounds found in hops. Says Bamforth, "Isohumulones break down very quickly and react with trace sulfurs" when hit by natural light. The resulting chemical reaction produces 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol, a nasty compound similar to a skunk's spray and detectable by the human palate even when in shockingly minute concentrations. So, it's not the actual temperature or temperature changes, but the exposure to light, that leads to a beer "skunking."

[pic - click to view]

5 Fans Can't k!ll You

Well, I live in Korea, but literally every Korean I have ever had this conversation with believes that fans can k!ll people under the right circumstances. It's not a once or twice thing; it has been probably 30/30 people, with one girl admitting that she wasn't 100% sure. It blows my mind.

Expert opinion:
Why would anyone think they could? Well, if the media where you lived regularly reported on fan death the way they do in South Korea, you might cast a suspicious eye at your fan, too.

A fairly recent phenomenon, fan death is seemingly common in Korea (people are found dead in the morning after leaving a ceiling fan running all night in closed room). As skeptic Brian Dunning writes, "Obviously people do die in Korea, and some of them have fans running at the time." But the first big problem is that no one explanation exists to link the two. Rather, deaths are chalked up to asphyxiation, hypothermia, even the slicing of oxygen molecules into poisons by the rotating fan blade -- all of which are easily debunked.

Instead, Dunning points to the most likely explanation: Fan use rises as the temperature rises. As the temperature rises, the elderly as well as people in poor health become especially vulnerable to the heat, and their death rate rises. The fact that fans were likely running when many of them died is nothing more than coincidence.
4 Hold Your Head Forward When You Have A Nosebleed
To hold your head backward when you are having a nosebleed. Tilt it forward, my friends, and hold just above the bridge of your nose.

Expert opinion:
We typically react to nosebleeds by pinching the bridge of the nose and tilting our heads back -- this allows gravity to slow blood flow to those vessels long enough for them to heal, right?

That may be the conventional wisdom -- but it's wrong. According to multiple health authorities including the editors over at MedicineNet, the proper response to a nosebleed is to pinch the soft cartilage with your thumb and index finger, press this against your face so as to compress the nose and tilt your head forward, a position you should hold for several minutes. Tilting your head back "allows the blood to run back into your sinuses and throat," and can lead to you gagging or even inhaling the blood.

[pic - click to view]

3 Belly Dancing Is Not A Dance Of Seduction

Belly dance was not a dance of seduction, and wasn't done by harem girls for the sultan. It's a community folk dance with a rich and long history, done by both men and women during family celebrations and gatherings. The two-piece costume was invented by early Hollywood and adopted by Egyptian dancers in nightclubs to cater to Western tourists. The term belly dance was invented at the 1893 World's Fair by Sol Bloom because it sounded salacious, would attract scandalized Victorian patrons and sell a boatload of tickets.

Expert opinion:
Despite its immediate a.ssociation in the West with seduction, s3x and Ottoman harems, traditional belly dancing as it is performed in the Middle East couldn't be further from this misperception.

Not only do both women and men belly dance at social events like weddings the way we might do the Twist or the Cabbage Patch, but belly dancing has never served an erotic purpose. Rather, its purpose is social, if it must be said to have one at all, according to Shira, a highly regarded belly dance researcher, lecturer and dancer herself: "You can see these origins expressed in many aspects of the dance: It is torso-focused and not limb-focused because it was meant to be performed on a 'stage' no bigger than a rug in a small living room. The attire is loose-fitting and comfortable, not costume-y and sultry, and in contrast to the clothing worn outside the home, because belly dancing developed as a recreational activity performed by women for women in the privacy of their homes as a way to exercise, socialize and have a good time."

Shira points to the prudery of the Victorian era, and the need of British colonialists to dehumanize those they conquered, as being the underlying forces behind the popular misconception of the dance.

[pic - click to view]

2 Toilets don't flush clockwise vs. counterclockwise as a result of being on one side of the equator or another

This fact is so ingrained into our public consciousness that even shows like The Simpsons get it spectacularly wrong, and we've almost all had teachers cite this in class while explaining the Coriolis effect. The thing is, it's balderdash. To get a sink or toilet to drain in different directions is much more a matter of drain shape, the motion of the water when the container was filled and so on. You literally need to leave a big reservoir of water sitting for days to be able to get it to behave in a manner that's observably changed by Coriolis forces, and that's after protecting it from wind, sun, vibration, etc, and using a special drain and tub.

Expert opinion:
For the most part, water doesn't care what side of the equator it is on -- it will always take the path of least resistance. Nonetheless, the myth that sinks and toilets drain in opposing directions depending on your equatorial frame of reference remains an enduring one.

When citing this, people often refer to the Coriolis force, an "artifact of the Earth's rotation" in which "projectiles traveling in the Northern Hemisphere seem to veer to the right of their intended destination," writes science education expert Michael DiSpezio. But when draining a sink in either hemisphere, the Coriolis force has no effect. The only way that you can observe this effect on water is to use a sink about a mile wide. Even then, DiSpezio writes that "the very weak Coriolis force effectively impacts the moving fluid" chiefly because the drain time is so long.

Reader adds his two cents:

The cause of water flowing in different directions is due to the Coriolis effect. On a larger scale it's much more prevalent. Think weather systems: Pressure systems rotate clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Southern.

Now toilet manufacturers can design the toilet jets to create a certain flow, and I believe that it is done not to f!ght nature but to flow easier with nature... So an "unmoving" bowl of water will rotate in different directions, but a toilet's jets can probably overcome the Coriolis effect.
- Jay Roberts

[pic - click to view]

1 Diamonds can be shattered with a hammer

There is a difference between how tough something is and how hard it is.

Diamond Swords vs. Metal Swords
So as I'm a.ssuming iron and steel are much tougher than diamond, would it be correct to say a sword made of diamond would be useless when clashing with a standard metal sword? This myth seems greatly perpetuated by many video games in which diamond weapons and armor are among the highest class.

Not as useless. The force between the two has to overcome the peak stress of the diamond sword. The metal sword would bend and the diamond sword shatter like glass.

Expert opinion:
They're expensive, and they're a girl's best friend, but diamonds are also indestructible, right?

"They most definitely are not," says Andrew Streyer, a certified gemologist and director of evaluations for Pawngo.com. "If you hit a diamond with a blow from a hammer, it can and most likely will shatter, because while diamonds are the hardest substances, they are not the strongest." According to Streyer, diamonds have a specific weakness -- cleaving directions, described as "weaker points in the stone," which make them vulnerable to the kind of damage a hammer can do.

[pic - click to view]

Unknown Facts - AskMen

22 comments for "10 Facts Everyone Gets Wrong!"

6 years ago '10        #2
Account001 
space
space
$3,342 | Props total: 180 180
maybe im stupid... but each of these confused me even more. Poorly written article
 6 years ago '05        #3
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,449 | Props total: 7095 7095
Only interesting one was the skunked beer one .

I leave a case out on my back deck all the time accidentally and then throw it in the fridge the next morning and drink it that night and never really noticed a difference, yet people always talk about skunked beer.

Now I have evidence to prove my friends wrong
 6 years ago '09        #4
NcAlien 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,434 | Props total: 1353 1353
 Account001 said:
maybe im stupid... but each of these confused me even more. Poorly written article
No its poorly written hard to decipher myth from fact until you read the experts opinion
 6 years ago '11        #5
Sandor Clegane 68 heat pts68
space
space
$9,255 | Props total: 3738 3738
koreans actually do believe in "fan death" i remember listening to some of em talk about it, i musta had the face on the whole time
 04-15-2012, 03:55 PM         #6
FASTLIFE 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Account001 said:
no after reading each one i still wasnt sure the answer of anything
 6 years ago '10        #7
Account001 
space
space
$3,342 | Props total: 180 180
 NcAlien said:
No its poorly written hard to decipher myth from fact until you read the experts opinion

1. No, its poorly written. Hard to decipher myth from fact until you read the experts opinion.

2. No. Its poorly written, hard to decipher myth from fact until you read the experts opinion. (in which case you are agreeing with me and your "no" is a "yes")
 6 years ago '04        #8
MochaWhitey 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 320 320
what the fu*k did i just read

Last edited by MochaWhitey; 04-15-2012 at 06:22 PM..
 6 years ago '05        #9
therealmtg 3 heat pts
space
space
$536 | Props total: 11 11
The paragraphs themselves weren't confusing just there opening statement were sometimes they have the sentence in the negative and sometime they don't is what makes it difficult to decipher.
 6 years ago '09        #10
NcAlien 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,434 | Props total: 1353 1353
 Account001 said:

1. No, its poorly written. Hard to decipher myth from fact until you read the experts opinion.

2. No. Its poorly written, hard to decipher myth from fact until you read the experts opinion. (in which case you are agreeing with me and your "no" is a "yes")
Haha you see what i did there, thats what i got from this article.
 6 years ago '04        #11
xbossxplayax 
space
space
$4,215 | Props total: 1040 1040
This musta been op's ESL paper

fu*kin tard... Stay in the basement and dont ever come up to the cafeteria
 6 years ago '09        #12
Lil Jay 30 heat pts30
space
space
$7,999 | Props total: 424 424
stfu.... who believes any of this retarded shyt?
 6 years ago '10        #13
buzzkill 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,214 | Props total: 1153 1153
i thought maybe i was too high too read this sh*t until i read the comments........
wtf is this bullsh*t
 6 years ago '04        #14
ike! 4 heat pts
space
space
$822 | Props total: 100 100
Wow that is one terribly written article. I think I managed to get the gist, but actually unlike the article states, I think everyone gets these facts correct these days..
 04-15-2012, 11:55 PM         #15
illmatix 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k this thread!

the whole article is filled with confusing bullsh*t that nobody cares about

toilets flushing wtf. no one cares
 6 years ago '10        #16
vuser88 28 heat pts28
space
space
$2,054 | Props total: 315 315
i knew most of these, if your in a metal car during a storm your not completely safe tho. if youre not touching anything, you wont get electrocuted because when lighting hits a conductor, the charges on the conductor arrange themselves in such a way that it cancels the electric field inside the conductor.

i.e the electric field inside a conductor is always zero, however most likely you wil get cooked aka burns
 6 years ago '10        #17
SoFresh170 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,313 | Props total: 1964 1964
 Account001 said:
i cant stress it enough
 6 years ago '11        #18
Sandor Clegane 68 heat pts68
space
space
$9,255 | Props total: 3738 3738
 xbossxplayax said:
This musta been op's ESL paper

fu*kin tard... Stay in the basement and dont ever come up to the cafeteria
 6 years ago '08        #19
romanmcd 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,739 | Props total: 52 52
after reading u can crush a diamond with a hammer.. i automatically turned on youtube to put on diamonds are forever
 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM         #20
Niruggg 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
not 1 single solitary fu*k
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
150 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
73 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
225 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
153 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
65 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
113 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Bannon looks like a DISHEVELED DRUNK that wondered on stage
17 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy