Questions for my IT workers

most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
104 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Offset got a new $70k Ric Flair chain
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Snoop Dogg Issues Warning To George Zimmerman: I Have Jay-Z’s Back
89 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
vida guerra
10 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 5 years ago '07        #101
DIPSET101 29 heat pts29
space
space
$9,875 | Props total: 8874 8874
I have my a.ssociates in IT but ain't doing sh*t with it. Going back to get my bachelors and my certs and currently working with my cousin on his IT business to get that experience.

Certain jobs you can get without certs degree or experience. I worked for apple doing tech support for the iPhone which would have been great experience. And all they required was a high school diploma.
 5 years ago '05        #102
carden2 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,557 | Props total: 1193 1193
 egotistical said:
Basically Computer Science is based around programming and developing applications. If your interested in things like java, c++, .net, vb, etc.. then its your way to go. Like somebody said with Computer Science you need to be creative and have an extremely good amount of patience and problem solving skills. I would recommend trying to learn some languages from youtube and see if you like what you see.

Information Systems on the other hand is more of a versatility type program you do programming (java, c#), networking, sql, sometimes web design. But also you get a great amount of exposure to business (business law, economics, finance, accounting, operations, bstat, management...). This degree is highly looked upon because it gives you a background in business and IT as well. So companies know you understand business terms, cost, and bottom lines versus just know how to use a computer.

if you go Computer Science I would recommend you get a minor in Business. This would make you a lethal graduate with a brain for programming a long with the business knowledge. It could probably ensure you could have a future manager position as well.

that's really solid advice cause cs majors are damn good with math and there are finance, accounting, and business jobs that will say they want accounting, business admin, and computer science majors. it's such a versatile degree more so then people a.ssume. they think all we do is write programs but that's not entirely true, we're great problem solvers and we understand logic.
 5 years ago '04        #103
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,813 | Props total: 1480 1480
 carden2 said:
that's really solid advice cause cs majors are damn good with math and there are finance, accounting, and business jobs that will say they want accounting, business admin, and computer science majors. it's such a versatile degree more so then people a.ssume. they think all we do is write programs but that's not entirely true, we're great problem solvers and we understand logic.
Yea C.S. majors can basically get any math related numbers type of job with the exception of a few accounting jobs. I think certain majors your just all around well off. Engineering, Business Info Sys, Computer Science, Accounting, Finance, Nursing, Science (if your going to be a doctor), Pre-Law. All of those degrees are the future.
 5 years ago '06        #104
NorthNorthReppa 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,663 | Props total: 475 475
 Zab_JudahX said:
I graduated in May 2010 with a BS in Information Technology. I've been working for a fortune 500 company for 23 months...I'm not making that much bread right now, considering I have a family, I make roughly 44k a year right out of college. I hate my job, im at a NOC 24x7x365 environment, we are a helpdesk also and we monitor 200+ applications in the data center. The monitoring portion I enjoy but I rarely get to dive into it due to all of the end user support calls we receive. I would like to obtain a specialized networking role, I'd rather be caged up in a room with servers/equipment vs talking to 70 different people per day.

My degree made me a shoe in for this job, timing was perfect, I'm the only one on my team with a bachelors and the next closest person to me in age is 15 years older than me.

I'm currently trying to obtain some certs now, a few positions opened up within the company but I was rejected, I believe the certs would have increased my chances.

Ultimately I would like the Net+, Linux+, MCSA, CCNA. I recommend going for the certs, from what ive seen an a.ssociates degree can get you in the door, those programs give you good hands on experience, something I didnt get with my Bachelors. My bachelors was mainly programming and theory.

Whichever route you choose, good luck and shout out to the guy who posted WGU, I might enroll in that program since my job will pay for it...
Doing the exact same thing for the same money bro. No degree yet here. But from what I've seen at the software company I work at, it's all about certs and making yourself stand out. One of my best friends (who lined me up for this) is now traveling across the country doing implementations. 55 a year, 50 a day for food, gas and hotel reimbursed, two plane tickets to anywhere in the continental US you want a month. I'm about that life.... in time I guess! Have to pay my dues doing helpdesk for a bit.
 5 years ago '04        #105
x Tha Arkitek x 59 heat pts59
space
space
$18,681 | Props total: 6819 6819
 sunsetnVine said:
There is no more good for life... with comptia... as dude posted.. 3 years... with continuing education. Comptia saw ECcouncil and ISC eating off that continuing ed. crap and made changes... plus that gov 8570 mandate gave em an unofficial green light to do it.

And i agree... all readers.. stay away from brain dumps... while they will get you the cert... and interview.. .if you don't know shyt.. it will show and you will get ate alive...
Again, this DOES NOT apply to all CompTIA certifications.

Effective January 1, 2011, all new CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+ and CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) certifications will be valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. The certification must be renewed within three years in order for the individual to remain certified.
Server+, Linux+, Project+ & all the others are still good for life at the time.
 5 years ago '10        #106
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
$9,248 | Props total: 1298 1298
 x Tha Arkitek x said:
Again, this DOES NOT apply to all CompTIA certifications.

Server+, Linux+, Project+ & all the others are still good for life at the time.
Yeah, but the main ones are 3 years. Nobody going out getting Project+ certs and sh*t. Theres better certs for that out there.

The main ones is A+ Network+ and Security+
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
83 comments
24 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
90 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
124 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
53 comments
23 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
69 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
173 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
36 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy