Questions for my IT workers

most viewed right now
 69
Article inside Thot ends up $10,000 in debt thirst trapping for the 'gram.
50 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 51
NBA We can all write the ending to this story, he's gone
43 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 43
Image(s) inside well damn Young Ma looking more swole than 95% of you niggas
65 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 31
Video inside You like t**ties? You'll like these ones... MILFY
9 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #81
TheJaJr 
space
avatar space
space
$343 | Props total: 89 89
Did u pass?
 6 years ago '07        #82
Syphernix 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$16,331 | Props total: 65 65
yea i passed now im about to get some hands on training from this computer guru in my area
 6 years ago '05        #83
gunot86 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$760 | Props total: 123 123
 Syphernix said:
Im actually taking the A+ certification tomorrow and Wednesday

this thread is great btw
Did you use any vouchers? Or did you pay the full fee?
 6 years ago '06        #84
sunsetnVine 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$9,274 | Props total: 4771 4771
 R4P said:
Thats why I said to try and get an internship that will lead to a security clearance.

and my buddy started out making 80k his first year after college and will double that within the next few months.
I call bullsh*t.. no way his pay will double unless he's going oconus in a hot zone. No one jumps from an internship to journyman senior pay ... doesn't work like that. Unless he works in the IC.. and even then he's not getting 160... definatly not in months.. as it takes months to years for security clearances. If he's contracting.. the government will not pay for an entry level whatever ...160k ... not happening most pms don't get that. If he's in a govie internship.. he's not getting that GS level salary.

sorry.. your friend lied to you.


As for the thread starter. your in the best place in the US for IT jobs. Get your security + / network + and ethical hacker if your trying to get fast tracked into the gov/contracting workforce... ccna if your trying to stay in networking... mcse/sa itp if your trying to be an admin.

IF your staying on the commercial side... find a helpdesk job... net admin/sysad if you lucky dig in and build your skills.

helpdesk - A+(x2) Sec+
sys admin - Sec + MCP/SA/SE Net+
Net admin - Net+ MCP CCNA and up
NetSec --- eeeeehhhhh net+ sec+ and C|EH (Don't dream about the CISSP or GIAC certs until you find your niche)

IF your single.. and can shoot a gun... look for the OCONUS gigs.. that pay well.

Night shift (mids and swings) are an easy way to get into the door as no one wants those shifts.



... ideally the tracks are as follows


Helpdesk --> desktop support tech --> Sysadmin --> Netsec/SysEngineer/Vmware Engineer/Sr SysAd/ ProjectMan
Techsupport (nosc)--> Network Tech -> Network Admin --> Network Engineer

And thats all i can say right now.... good luck.

*edit*

And ignore whats the hot flavor of the moment (netsec).. ignore the University of maralyand univisrity college cyber warrior commercials. From what i heard they hype people up for failure and unrealisitic expectations.

everyone wants to do netsec with no idea of what they want to do in netsec. thats like the early 2000s when everyone wanted to do IT... with no earthly idea of what they wanted to do in it. If your even thinking of netsec...


what do you mean?

and you want to ask yourself this question seriously. What do you have a passion for?

security is a big field... really big field. And there are really no entry level security jobs. Thats backwards... to have an entry level person running security... think about that. I would suggest moving from help desk to sys admin or net admin.

You can then make a decision on which route you want to go as they bassically touch every aspect of security... lightly.

Do you want to patch?
Do you want to write policy?
Do you want to enforce policy?
Do you want to monitor networks for intrustion?
Do you want to pentest on networks?
do you want to conduct vulneraiblity a.ssesments on networks for holes?
Do you want to handle intrusions and incidents?
Do you want to peform forensics on pwned boxes and malware?
Do you want to get people fired for fraud waste and abuse?
Do you want to configure IDS/ IPS/ Systems and firewalls aka engineer?
Do you want to be the focal point of communicaton for all things security and speak to other people to trade info and keep your team up to date (intel)
Do you want to track down hackers... aka cyber terrorist for law enforcment?
Do you want to track down hackers for .. military?
Do you want to hack on behalf of a country?
Do you want to write code for exploits?
Do you want to certify systems?
Do you want to audit Information systems?
Do you want to audit information security policies?
Do you want to audit banking systems... federal?
Do you want to write reports? Situational awarness reports?
Do you want to research adversarial hackers? Companies that sell the same product as yours that engage in corporate espionage?
Do you want to work in disaster recovery (from cyber incidents)?
Do you want to write programs to deal with codes for exploits?
Do you want to write IDS filters for IDS systems?

i mean.. seriously.. i could go on and on and on.... so what you really want to ask yourself is what you have a passion for.. try to get a Sys admin job.. and try to fit that passion in you day to day activities... if its not already a part of it... get your time in.. get your certs.. and branch out to that passion.


Networking?.... be comfy with long hours, night shifts... angry wives..in some cases. Support jobs.. even admin jobs can be demanding.

DOn't get exploited... and if your not technical.. they have technical writers and jobs of that nature.

again .. goodluck

*last edit*.

No company is willing to invest in people that don't invest in themselves... for example... there is a highschool in springfield VA. The kids there have their own TESTING proctors for MS/Comptia tests.. yes they are getting ceritified in highschool. This is your new competition.... and the kids are hungry...

get your degree as companies love to fu*k over people wtih out them... gov will ignore you completly without at least a bachleors.

2 many certs and no exp = a really tough and horrible interview/job search. Experirence is king.. certs make you good on paper to get on contracts and get cleared... clearances are the key to life... and/or lack there of depending on how high you go.

...


Last edited by sunsetnVine; 07-08-2012 at 12:05 PM..
 6 years ago '06        #85
sunsetnVine 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$9,274 | Props total: 4771 4771
 bugzbirdman said:
Props on this bro. I'm trying to break into the IT field myself. I studied 2 years of Computer Systems Technology at my college before I dropped out (started working and making money, cared less about school) but I never got my degree. I'm working at Best Buy now in Computers, bout to transfer to Geek Squad so I can get some experience in the field fixing computers. I'm also going for my certs, A+, then network+, then security+. I was thinking about going back to school just to get a degree to fall back on, but I'm hesitant because I really hate school, but this online degree looks promising.
i know someone who started out at geek squad... he's now working for a CERT group making hella money... but geek squad got him started... smart dude.. if you can get in there..
 6 years ago '06        #86
sunsetnVine 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$9,274 | Props total: 4771 4771
 x Tha Arkitek x said:
Not all CompTIA exam expire in 3 years, only A+, Network+, Security+ and Advanced Security Practitioner are included. Currently all other CompTIA exams are good for life (and nearly useless to get).



You're good. Any CompTIA exams obtained on 31 December 2011 and prior are still good for life, BUT you'll find that certain employers require that you have a recent version obtained in the last 3 years if any of those are a requirement for a job you're applying for. This is something you'll see with fed. government and government contracted IT positions.



Don't take the advice from this guy, study the proper way. It doesn't take long to prep for CompTIA exams. Buy a $40 study guide (i prefer David L Prowse's books), read and take the included practice exams. Brain dumping will get you no where.
There is no more good for life... with comptia... as dude posted.. 3 years... with continuing education. Comptia saw ECcouncil and ISC eating off that continuing ed. crap and made changes... plus that gov 8570 mandate gave em an unofficial green light to do it.

And i agree... all readers.. stay away from brain dumps... while they will get you the cert... and interview.. .if you don't know shyt.. it will show and you will get ate alive...
 6 years ago '05        #87
xbigelx 7 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$895 | Props total: 313 313
 jumpoff0421 said:
So I have a a.ssociates in IT Network Admin. I recently moved to NoVA to attend George Mason and get a Bachelors degree concentrated in Network Security. Now the situation is I currently work full time at a job I don't like and has nothing to do with IT. I have two years to finish school with the Bachelors. I'm trying to get my plan together so I make good decisions from this point on. Now I'm sure some of y'all are in the IT field and I need some help on what I should start doing. Is finishing school with the Bachelors degree a good idea? Should I focus more on certifications now? Which certifications can help me jump in the IT field now? Any help is appreciated just want to get some knowledge from people already in the game.
Yo my man, my advice would be to check up on careerbuilder.com at what the market is calling "Required Certs" and "Recommended Certs" and sum those up. But finish that Bacehlors for sure! I just got my first real IT position and the minimum required a completed relevant Bachelors.

Also Healthcare IT is HUGE Right now. Try to get in with a Healthcare Organization in your area or around the country. An example (tho not a company I like), would be Tenet Health Care who own a bunch of Hospitals throughout Florida.

But on the work ur puttin in

And make sure to finish off that Bachelors.

PS= IT/Network security is gonna blow up in the next 5-10 years IMO, All this cyber warfare and Anonymous stuff... feel me?
 6 years ago '06        #88
sunsetnVine 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$9,274 | Props total: 4771 4771
 xbigelx said:

PS= IT/Network security is gonna blow up in the next 5-10 years IMO, All this cyber warfare and Anonymous stuff... feel me?
they trying to sell that... but ehhh.. meh.. not really. military and .gov will take care of that... themselves. imo
 6 years ago '04        #89
regularjoe 59 heat pts59
space
avatar space
space
$37,661 | Props total: 15384 15384
I just took the A+ practice exam, (I've never studied for it or anything like that). 41 out of 80.
 07-08-2012, 05:23 PM         #90
Skratch  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
My boy told me about this site is it really legit?
 6 years ago '10        #91
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
avatar space
space
$9,355 | Props total: 1456 1456
 Skratch said:
My boy told me about this site is it really legit?
Never heard of that site. Possibly brain dumps, not sure.

All you really need is a Mike Myers A+ book to pass the A+. You will find a lot of it you already know and is common sense. Read 50 pages a night for 2 weeks take some practice exams and take notes and you will be fine.
 6 years ago '04        #92
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,869 | Props total: 1585 1585
 sunsetnVine said:

As for the thread starter. your in the best place in the US for IT jobs. Get your security + / network + and ethical hacker if your trying to get fast tracked into the gov/contracting workforce... ccna if your trying to stay in networking... mcse/sa itp if your trying to be an admin.

IF your staying on the commercial side... find a helpdesk job... net admin/sysad if you lucky dig in and build your skills.

helpdesk - A+(x2) Sec+
sys admin - Sec + MCP/SA/SE Net+
Net admin - Net+ MCP CCNA and up
NetSec --- eeeeehhhhh net+ sec+ and C|EH (Don't dream about the CISSP or GIAC certs until you find your niche)

IF your single.. and can shoot a gun... look for the OCONUS gigs.. that pay well.

Night shift (mids and swings) are an easy way to get into the door as no one wants those shifts.



... ideally the tracks are as follows


Helpdesk --> desktop support tech --> Sysadmin --> Netsec/SysEngineer/Vmware Engineer/Sr SysAd/ ProjectMan
Techsupport (nosc)--> Network Tech -> Network Admin --> Network Engineer

And thats all i can say right now.... good luck.

*edit*

And ignore whats the hot flavor of the moment (netsec).. ignore the University of maralyand univisrity college cyber warrior commercials. From what i heard they hype people up for failure and unrealisitic expectations.

everyone wants to do netsec with no idea of what they want to do in netsec. thats like the early 2000s when everyone wanted to do IT... with no earthly idea of what they wanted to do in it. If your even thinking of netsec...


what do you mean?

and you want to ask yourself this question seriously. What do you have a passion for?

security is a big field... really big field. And there are really no entry level security jobs. Thats backwards... to have an entry level person running security... think about that. I would suggest moving from help desk to sys admin or net admin.

You can then make a decision on which route you want to go as they bassically touch every aspect of security... lightly.

Do you want to patch?
Do you want to write policy?
Do you want to enforce policy?
Do you want to monitor networks for intrustion?
Do you want to pentest on networks?
do you want to conduct vulneraiblity a.ssesments on networks for holes?
Do you want to handle intrusions and incidents?
Do you want to peform forensics on pwned boxes and malware?
Do you want to get people fired for fraud waste and abuse?
Do you want to configure IDS/ IPS/ Systems and firewalls aka engineer?
Do you want to be the focal point of communicaton for all things security and speak to other people to trade info and keep your team up to date (intel)
Do you want to track down hackers... aka cyber terrorist for law enforcment?
Do you want to track down hackers for .. military?
Do you want to hack on behalf of a country?
Do you want to write code for exploits?
Do you want to certify systems?
Do you want to audit Information systems?
Do you want to audit information security policies?
Do you want to audit banking systems... federal?
Do you want to write reports? Situational awarness reports?
Do you want to research adversarial hackers? Companies that sell the same product as yours that engage in corporate espionage?
Do you want to work in disaster recovery (from cyber incidents)?
Do you want to write programs to deal with codes for exploits?
Do you want to write IDS filters for IDS systems?

i mean.. seriously.. i could go on and on and on.... so what you really want to ask yourself is what you have a passion for.. try to get a Sys admin job.. and try to fit that passion in you day to day activities... if its not already a part of it... get your time in.. get your certs.. and branch out to that passion.


Networking?.... be comfy with long hours, night shifts... angry wives..in some cases. Support jobs.. even admin jobs can be demanding.

DOn't get exploited... and if your not technical.. they have technical writers and jobs of that nature.

again .. goodluck

*last edit*.

No company is willing to invest in people that don't invest in themselves... for example... there is a highschool in springfield VA. The kids there have their own TESTING proctors for MS/Comptia tests.. yes they are getting ceritified in highschool. This is your new competition.... and the kids are hungry...

get your degree as companies love to fu*k over people wtih out them... gov will ignore you completly without at least a bachleors.

2 many certs and no exp = a really tough and horrible interview/job search. Experirence is king.. certs make you good on paper to get on contracts and get cleared... clearances are the key to life... and/or lack there of depending on how high you go.

...
You said a lot of good sh*t my man. To further the point, like me and rek0nize been preaching its all about diversification. Have your degree, have your experience, have your certs. One good point that was made for you beginners, look into night shifts, I have seen many job openings looking for help desk people at night a lot of people don't like working late, so this is your perfect opportunity. As far as the healthcare field from what I have experienced it is super demanding for a fairly decent pay. I would not say its any better than any other field. IT in general is going to be a HUGE field in the coming years. I can remember when most jobs did not even require you to have computer experience, now every job you get you have to be able to be pretty decent in working computers.
 6 years ago '09        #93
heatrepeat 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,298 | Props total: 0 0
As a graduation senior from high school this summer, I was hoping to start college soon to begin working on my degree. I'm a computer freak however I'm having a hard time selecting on which route to take. After in-taking so much information in this thread, I figured I would just ask the question I've been seeking the answer for.

My two current options are Computer Science or Computer Information Systems. Can anyone point out to me what the difference between these careers are? & which one gives me a better chance at a well paying stable job?

Props will definitely be given.
Thanks in advance.
 6 years ago '05        #94
carden2 15 heat pts15
space
avatar space
space
$13,689 | Props total: 1479 1479
 heatrepeat said:
As a graduation senior from high school this summer, I was hoping to start college soon to begin working on my degree. I'm a computer freak however I'm having a hard time selecting on which route to take. After in-taking so much information in this thread, I figured I would just ask the question I've been seeking the answer for.

My two current options are Computer Science or Computer Information Systems. Can anyone point out to me what the difference between these careers are? & which one gives me a better chance at a well paying stable job?

Props will definitely be given.
Thanks in advance.
information systems is targeting a bigger range of IT jobs while computer science would be more in applications and programming and is more in depth. personally both are solid i mean you can take both degrees and go virtually anywhere.

edit: just don't miss out on taking sql and database classes if you go the information system route.


Last edited by carden2; 07-09-2012 at 02:45 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #95
regularjoe 59 heat pts59
space
avatar space
space
$37,661 | Props total: 15384 15384
 carden2 said:
information systems is targeting a bigger range of IT jobs while computer science would be more in applications and programming and is more in depth. personally both are solid i mean you can take both degrees and go virtually anywhere.
IMHO... if you like being "creative", go CS.
 6 years ago '07        #96
Ryde3 5 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,463 | Props total: 276 276
I did a bit of reading in here, sound like there are lots of career paths in the IT field. I was considering going to this program because I may be able to have the Canadian government pay through the "Second Careers" program. Could someone who has been replying take a quick look at the overview and let me know if this would be worth my time/money. I see that alot of people recommend studying and doing the certs on your own. Is this program only for the certs or do you receive a diploma aswell? thanks for the help in advance.
 6 years ago '04        #97
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,869 | Props total: 1585 1585
 heatrepeat said:
As a graduation senior from high school this summer, I was hoping to start college soon to begin working on my degree. I'm a computer freak however I'm having a hard time selecting on which route to take. After in-taking so much information in this thread, I figured I would just ask the question I've been seeking the answer for.

My two current options are Computer Science or Computer Information Systems. Can anyone point out to me what the difference between these careers are? & which one gives me a better chance at a well paying stable job?

Props will definitely be given.
Thanks in advance.
Basically Computer Science is based around programming and developing applications. If your interested in things like java, c++, .net, vb, etc.. then its your way to go. Like somebody said with Computer Science you need to be creative and have an extremely good amount of patience and problem solving skills. I would recommend trying to learn some languages from youtube and see if you like what you see.

Information Systems on the other hand is more of a versatility type program you do programming (java, c#), networking, sql, sometimes web design. But also you get a great amount of exposure to business (business law, economics, finance, accounting, operations, bstat, management...). This degree is highly looked upon because it gives you a background in business and IT as well. So companies know you understand business terms, cost, and bottom lines versus just know how to use a computer.

if you go Computer Science I would recommend you get a minor in Business. This would make you a lethal graduate with a brain for programming a long with the business knowledge. It could probably ensure you could have a future manager position as well.


Last edited by egotistical; 07-11-2012 at 04:33 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #98
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,869 | Props total: 1585 1585
 Ryde3 said:
I did a bit of reading in here, sound like there are lots of career paths in the IT field. I was considering going to this program because I may be able to have the Canadian government pay through the "Second Careers" program. Could someone who has been replying take a quick look at the overview and let me know if this would be worth my time/money. I see that alot of people recommend studying and doing the certs on your own. Is this program only for the certs or do you receive a diploma aswell? thanks for the help in advance.
It looks like just a program to help you get the training and certs you need to become a network systems administrator. I wouldn't do it unless it was extremely low cost or free. There are way too many resources out online and in stores that come at a free or low cost to do a program that cost a lot of money. There is no diploma as well. I know this has been said before but I would go to WGU and commit to that program over doing a training program.
 6 years ago '06        #99
sunsetnVine 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$9,274 | Props total: 4771 4771
 carden2 said:
information systems is targeting a bigger range of IT jobs while computer science would be more in applications and programming and is more in depth. personally both are solid i mean you can take both degrees and go virtually anywhere.

edit: just don't miss out on taking sql and database classes if you go the information system route.
Cs. Is also good for reverse engineering. And a lotta of vmware and secuirty gigs prefer cs majors. I had a professor that was and i.t. and c.s.doctorate. she pushed a lotta cats to do that two as your the most rounded with that dual major.


O...and every cs dude ive meet is smart as shyt.
 6 years ago '07        #100
DIPSET101 29 heat pts29
space
avatar space
space
$10,330 | Props total: 10828 10828
I have my a.ssociates in IT but ain't doing sh*t with it. Going back to get my bachelors and my certs and currently working with my cousin on his IT business to get that experience.

Certain jobs you can get without certs degree or experience. I worked for apple doing tech support for the iPhone which would have been great experience. And all they required was a high school diploma.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 23
Video inside Graphics are Blurring the Lines, ya ready for this?.
28 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
 21
Image(s) inside Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Mansion 2018
75 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 16
Video inside Steph unveils the new Curry V Low, Finally a good looking Curry shoe?
43 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
 12
ashley graham killing it i'm sold yo!
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 8
Video inside F*ucking Black Guy
145 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 7
Video inside 50 was ready to stab up Suge back in the day
108 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 6
Image(s) inside Rosey Got Thickkkkkk
63 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 5
Donald Glover Backs Lando's Sexuality: 'How Can You Not Be Pansexual in Space?'
115 comments
1 day ago
@movies
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy