Questions for my IT workers

most viewed right now
 87
yall seen this bi-ch fu-king yet? my word!
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 78
Image(s) inside Kanye West - Love Everyone [COVER]
115 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 66
Big Gipp Exposes What REALLY Happened Between Pimp C & Master P Forcing P TO L..
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 62
Image(s) inside Finished my 18 years of child support
214 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #61
sideshow20 19 heat pts19
space
avatar space
space
$9,708 | Props total: 690 690
I work in IT and i will tell you...get your Degree..if you already have your a.ssociates keep that and work on your Certs. Start out getting your A+, Net+ and hell your Security...these will get you in the Door...

What i did was a.ss backwards though....I went to trade school just so i can have that sh*t on my record that i went to school for computers...(i self taught myself and learned the basics from my dad) I ended up getting my First IT job as a helpdesk Tech(on the phones) for (at the time) Tech team global working on the Honda team after i graduated from trade school i kept that job til they let me go and ended up getting a job at a Community College as a Desktop Support technican (the n*gga that comes and fixes the sh*t end users fu*k up) i even worked for volkswegan as well doing helpdesk support for them as well doing contract work until i got a better offer with the company i am at now...did my six months probation and got hired in and now i am making salary....i am blessed because i currently have no Certs (i'm still trying to get them)

Most of the time jobs look at your EXPERIENCES before your certs...its one thing to have the certs but can you really do the job they want you to do? thats why i went the route i went in (ass backwards) all my friends have there certs and they are still having trouble finding jobs in IT
 05-11-2012, 08:58 PM         #62
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 sideshow20 said:
I work in IT and i will tell you...get your Degree..if you already have your a.ssociates keep that and work on your Certs. Start out getting your A+, Net+ and hell your Security...these will get you in the Door...

What i did was a.ss backwards though....I went to trade school just so i can have that sh*t on my record that i went to school for computers...(i self taught myself and learned the basics from my dad) I ended up getting my First IT job as a helpdesk Tech(on the phones) for (at the time) Tech team global working on the Honda team after i graduated from trade school i kept that job til they let me go and ended up getting a job at a Community College as a Desktop Support technican (the n*gga that comes and fixes the sh*t end users fu*k up) i even worked for volkswegan as well doing helpdesk support for them as well doing contract work until i got a better offer with the company i am at now...did my six months probation and got hired in and now i am making salary....i am blessed because i currently have no Certs (i'm still trying to get them)

Most of the time jobs look at your EXPERIENCES before your certs...its one thing to have the certs but can you really do the job they want you to do? thats why i went the route i went in (ass backwards) all my friends have there certs and they are still having trouble finding jobs in IT
I'm curious to know do your friends have Bachelors degrees?
 05-13-2012, 11:28 PM         #63
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If anyone need help with any Comptia certifications then I suggest going to ProfessorMesser.com

He have alot of videos that are free.

Studying for the A+ now. :D
 6 years ago '07        #64
Trae Jay 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$3,096 | Props total: 203 203
if one has a BA in another field totally unrelated, what should he do.. To do what you guys do.

I've heard of Post Baccalaureate..

Can i obtain a.ssociates after a BA or another BA or something... I'm trying to find a job that would make money and I would like.
 6 years ago '04        #65
ShadyKidd 
space
space
space
$380 | Props total: 0 0
 Trae Jay said:
if one has a BA in another field totally unrelated, what should he do.. To do what you guys do.

I've heard of Post Baccalaureate..

Can i obtain a.ssociates after a BA or another BA or something... I'm trying to find a job that would make money and I would like.
If you already have a BA/BS, I would look for a masters degree that interest you. Many colleges offer masters programs where you don't need prior experience or education in the field you are studying. The course work might be difficult, but it will be more valuable than another BA degree.
 6 years ago '04        #66
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,869 | Props total: 1585 1585
 Trae Jay said:
if one has a BA in another field totally unrelated, what should he do.. To do what you guys do.

I've heard of Post Baccalaureate..

Can i obtain a.ssociates after a BA or another BA or something... I'm trying to find a job that would make money and I would like.
fu*k that go learn some IT skills get a few certifications and worst case do some interning. I would not go back for another BA. If you really wanna go back do a masters.
 6 years ago '08        #67
El Fuerte 
space
avatar space
space
$3,958 | Props total: 2112 2112
I definitley advise to get the certs although I did not need them

I graduated in 08' with a BS in Information Technology and a minor in business, had a couple small internships thru college, whole time studying for the certs, but for some reason, i was just like fu*k it let me try to get my foot in the door without the certs

low and behold 3-5 months later (This was 08' job market was worst then it is now, I know people that graduated w/ me in IT that aint get a real IT job until 2009-2010, thats a year to two years of just lookign for a job ROUGH) I was luckily able to land a gig as a help desk engineer for a health IT company specializing in the creation of medical sign in pads for doctors offices....worked there about a year when they tried moving my position to Canada, i was like hell no, quit, got a nice severeance package, sat on it and started lookign for another job

now I am a procrastinating a.ss n*gga, cus during that 2-3 months I was jobless I was telling myself Ima go get the certs and studying for them, but I was like fu*k it I got this first job lemme try and find something else, end up getting a gig w/ a small IT Consulting Firm (it was just the owner at the time he hired me), by the time I left (almost 3 years later), we had grown to 5 employees, 3 of which worked under me, now this looks amazing on my resume since I am a young dude, and at that point I felt I had adequate enough experience that going for A+ or Net+ would be a complete waste of time since my experience and the sh*t I had worked on greatly outweighed what those certs involve....now thats not to say I wont eventually go for some of the more advanced certs like Cisco or MS ones (those are the ones w/ real value that will get you making $$$),

so I was pretty much working like a dog running this company for the dude that hired me when I was like I need to cash out on this sh*t, so started looking for a job bout 6 months ago... got a sweet gig w/ a hedge fund on their help desk/workstation administration team, been here lil bit over 3 months now, I am 25 (turning 26 in June) plan to see 6 figures on my w2 @ the end of the year


Last edited by El Fuerte; 05-30-2012 at 11:52 AM..
 6 years ago '09        #68
Two Five Design 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,186 | Props total: 19 19
I haven't finished college, probably about a semester and a half left but I was just offered an IT job strictly because I just know a lot about computers, no past work history of computers or anything similar to IT. I did have a background being self employed for the last 4 years as a graphics designer and they knew I was able to talk to clients on the phone and produce marketing materials.

They started me at 32k a year. Not much but it definitely pays the bills, plus my design business makes for a somewhat comfortable lifestyle. I plan on hitting the high road once I establish my design business more, using the money I make at the IT job to invest back into myself.
 6 years ago '05        #69
R4P 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$7,161 | Props total: 707 707
 specialk103185 said:
This...A lot of companies don't really care what your degree is in they just want to see that you completed 4 years of college. Pair that with certifications and they see that you have the aptitude to learn in the IT field, combine that with some job experience and you're good. The further removed that you get from college, the less what your degree is in matters--outside of professions like Doctors, Lawyers, etc.

I'll be hiring for a new IT position in the next couple of months and all I'm really looking for is someone with a 4-year degree, a great personality and an aptitude for computers. I can teach them the rest of the job, but the people skills can't really be taught.
HIRE ME!!!! lol foreal tho you just described me to a T.
 6 years ago '08        #70
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
avatar space
space
$3,334 | Props total: 24 24
^^ lmao.


But for those in IT, out of Programming and Web Design, which do you think would be worth pursuing more?
 6 years ago '10        #71
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
avatar space
space
$9,355 | Props total: 1456 1456
 Kizzle504 said:
^^ lmao.


But for those in IT, out of Programming and Web Design, which do you think would be worth pursuing more?
Programming.

You can program in lots of different areas. You can do some programming for Web Sites as well.

At the end of the day, you do what you want to do though. Which ever one interests you the most. I can tell you though if you go to Craigslist, monster or any big job boards you will find WAY more programming jobs than you will Web Designing.

I ALWAYS get asked by friends and family members who want to break into IT which they should do between Networking and Programming. I usually tell them which ever you enjoy doing and find interesting the most.


Last edited by rek0nize; 05-30-2012 at 05:40 PM..
 6 years ago '08        #72
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
avatar space
space
$3,334 | Props total: 24 24
 rek0nize said:
Programming.

You can program in lots of different areas. You can do some programming for Web Sites as well.

At the end of the day, you do what you want to do though. Which ever one interests you the most. I can tell you though if you go to Craigslist, monster or any big job boards you will find WAY more programming jobs than you will Web Designing.

I ALWAYS get asked by friends and family members who want to break into IT which they should do between Networking and Programming. I usually tell them which ever you enjoy doing and find interesting the most.
good sh*t bro! just needed some advice.
 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM         #73
DwRecKeR77053  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
as far as certs i would recommend ccent, microsoft, ccna. i have my bachelors degree and not using it..was persuaded by my college to get my masters degree but im not doing it. i gave up looking for an i.t. job after a year and a half with no offers. the companies here are less likely to hire you if you dont have work experience in i.t. so basically i was like i went to school to get an it job and now that i have my degree i cant get one. if you dont have connections with someone, you can dismiss all the mumbo jumbo about landing a it job before or right after graduation and making alot of money. the reality is if you get into i.t. you will work starting as helpdesk/desktop support and those jobs capped out at $15 an hour. alot of companies are hiring very few individuals for those jobs now days because its based on a need and not so much for high demand like i was convinced in college. when a company decides to make cut backs, i.t. folks are some of the first people to go. if you choose to pursue your bachelors, understand that you are not guaranteed an i.t. job after graduating. only 2 people out of my graduating class actually worked in their field with hewlett packard and they were both laid off within a year. the only way to advance in i.t. or like my friend's case, to keep your job, you have to keep getting certifications. its almost like a never ending process. i basically use my school experience to consult for people on the side. i am not looking to work in corporate i.t. world anymore.


Last edited by DwRecKeR77053; 06-16-2012 at 01:07 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #74
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,869 | Props total: 1585 1585
 DwRecKeR77053 said:
as far as certs i would recommend ccent, microsoft, ccna. i have my bachelors degree and not using it..was persuaded by my college to get my masters degree but im not doing it. i gave up looking for an i.t. job after a year and a half with no offers. the companies here are less likely to hire you if you dont have work experience in i.t. so basically i was like i went to school to get an it job and now that i have my degree i cant get one. if you dont have connections with someone, you can dismiss all the mumbo jumbo about landing a it job before or right after graduation and making alot of money. the reality is if you get into i.t. you will work starting as helpdesk/desktop support and those jobs capped out at $15 an hour. alot of companies are hiring very few individuals for those jobs now days because its based on a need and not so much for high demand like i was convinced in college. when a company decides to make cut backs, i.t. folks are some of the first people to go. if you choose to pursue your bachelors, understand that you are not guaranteed an i.t. job after graduating. only 2 people out of my graduating class actually worked in their field with hewlett packard and they were both laid off within a year. the only way to advance in i.t. or like my friend's case, to keep your job, you have to keep getting certifications. its almost like a never ending process. i basically use my school experience to consult for people on the side. i am not looking to work in corporate i.t. world anymore.
Not trying to be an a.ss, but it seems like you live in a sh*tty area. Help desk is the stepping stone for most IT folks, stay in it for 6 months to a year and move up. As far as companies making cutbacks or laying off its going to matter your position. Usually if your entry level position you go first. Also, with any degree you aren't guaranteed a job this is where interning and networking comes into play. Lastly, you don't really have to keep getting certs or get certs, I think it really matters where you wanna go and your role. I know people who are in IT that don't have one cert even managers.
 6 years ago '06        #75
canal_boys 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 510 510
WGU is only for bachelors and up.
 6 years ago '11        #76
bd2eazy 38 heat pts38
space
avatar space
space
$5,199 | Props total: 241 241
good info in here...


im trying to decide on a definitive path in life, and this stuff is good to know.
my pops doubts the IT field because of the coming changes to tech
(cloud computing) and job outsourcing. i would like to do IT, like it would be
interesting/challenging but im really on the fence about majoring in a tech
field because tech is always changing.
 6 years ago '10        #77
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
avatar space
space
$9,355 | Props total: 1456 1456
 bd2eazy said:
good info in here...


im trying to decide on a definitive path in life, and this stuff is good to know.
my pops doubts the IT field because of the coming changes to tech
(cloud computing) and job outsourcing. i would like to do IT, like it would be
interesting/challenging but im really on the fence about majoring in a tech
field because tech is always changing.
When you're in the tech field you never stop learning. If you come complacent with what you know you will be outdated years down the road. You have to keep updating your certs and or learning on your own about the new technologies that are coming out.

Cloud computing will never ever take off like some people think. There are PLENTY of companies who will NEVER let their information be off site. Hospitals will never do it and tons of companies won't either. Security risks involved. Not to mention somebody has to tend to the cloud somewhere. There will always be jobs.

That's just the Networking portion of IT as well. You can get into programming as well, there are plenty of companies that wont outsource and don't.
 6 years ago '11        #78
GetuOne 73 heat pts73
space
avatar space
space
$4,475 | Props total: 7 7
 Kizzle504 said:
Which certifications should one pursue to get their foot in the door?
If your trying to get be a network administrator or something, you may want to buy some books and get MCITP certified. Look it up. I bought some Kaplin books on it, never cracked one open cuz I managed to break into the field without it, but it's a good weapon to have in your arsenal. And stay in school and get that Bachlors while your doing it fool.

 6 years ago '04        #79
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,869 | Props total: 1585 1585
 specialk103185 said:
The IT field will never go away, it will just evolve. IT jobs today are different from what they were in the early 90's and so on. But you have to be willing to evolve with it and fill the need. Most of the time a technology is not completely scrapped but replaced with a newer version--just make sure you stay up to date and pursue the more well rounded path of IT not the narrow. If you say you are only a CISCO engineer and one day Cisco goes under then you were pigeon holed. but if you understand networking as a whole and how it works you will able to apply that knowledge to any future technologies.
Basically, nor will IT ever get completely outsourced, with outsourcing comes huge responsibility and big risk. Like I said earlier most positions that are outsourced are small IT positions. Also, always be willing to adapt and learn new technology. I had a IT manager that was like 72, but dude knows about all the current/future technology.
 6 years ago '07        #80
Syphernix 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$16,331 | Props total: 65 65
Im actually taking the A+ certification tomorrow and Wednesday

this thread is great btw
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 44
Image(s) inside This guy slaps your girls ass... wyd
106 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 31
NBA This nigga Wilt Chamberlain a hater
63 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 28
Image(s) inside She Paints ...
54 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 27
Article inside Cable customer forced oral sex on repairman:
134 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
 24
Video inside Guaranteed method to overcome laziness
36 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 19
So Kanye Dug Up Whitney Houston's Grave And Spit In Her Face Scust
155 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 17
NBA GS fans, how worried are you?
133 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 17
Amber rose slept with 21 savage best friend
196 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy