Questions for my IT workers

most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
38 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
55 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
77 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Minnesota with lime green uniforms tonight -- yay or nay?
25 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 04-25-2012, 10:31 PM         #41
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 HarryPNess said:
I may be totally wrong about this, but are IT guys the people who work for Comcast/Time Warner/?

If so, what career did they choose?
bump. any answers to this?
 6 years ago '10        #42
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
$9,245 | Props total: 1295 1295
 HarryPNess said:
bump. any answers to this?
Are you talking about the guys who come out and set up your cable boxes/modems and stuff??

They are just Cable Technicians.

I mean they will have IT guys working at their corporate locations for sure, but probably not the guys you're thinking of.
 04-27-2012, 03:59 AM         #43
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 rek0nize said:
Are you talking about the guys who come out and set up your cable boxes/modems and stuff??

They are just Cable Technicians.

I mean they will have IT guys working at their corporate locations for sure, but probably not the guys you're thinking of.
yupp thats what i was talking about.

IT seems to have so many routes that you can take though.

Any sites that lets you see all of the different routes of IT?
 6 years ago '05        #44
poeknock 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,727 | Props total: 157 157

[pic - click to view]

so much power in this thread...I got my a.ssociate in Network admin an im workin on my bach in multimedia design&development w/ web design as focus so hopefully all that can get me somewhere when im done but I will try to get an internship somewhere in the city this summer or winter to get my foot in the door
 6 years ago '11        #45
Dray 1187 heat pts1187
space
space
$59,330 | Props total: 25149 25149
this was a very interesting thread

my sisters husband works in the IT field and he really makes some money..kind of a come up story

my little bro asked me about it but I didnt know what to say

so what is the best thing to go to IT wise right now in a technical institute?

i read about CCNA but is that what you should go into or network..

if anyone can help,this is the school he wants to go too

he wants to make $$ he said lol

personally don't know any of these IT certs from each other
 6 years ago '05        #46
carden2 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,557 | Props total: 1157 1157
 Dray said:
this was a very interesting thread

my sisters husband works in the IT field and he really makes some money..kind of a come up story

my little bro asked me about it but I didnt know what to say

so what is the best thing to go to IT wise right now in a technical institute?

i read about CCNA but is that what you should go into or network..

if anyone can help,this is the school he wants to go too

he wants to make $$ he said lol

personally don't know any of these IT certs from each other
i'd go with systems. system analyst, managers and administrators make straight bank. tell him to focus on security and networking. learn as much as possible about networks and servers. also certs in vmware are valuable. i see it on a lot of job descriptions. i also would get comfortable with windows and linux. also get some knowledge on scripting as well. i work as a system analyst. i been trying my hardest to get an administrator job cause the pay increase is just insane. also some schools have integrated programs where you can get a masters for just 1 more year.
 05-03-2012, 02:37 AM         #47
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I have a question.

At my university they have a B.S. degree called "Management Information Systems"

Can this get me into I.T?

Or does anyone know about this degree? I will prop if you give good info.
 6 years ago '04        #48
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,809 | Props total: 1477 1477
 HarryPNess said:
I have a question.

At my university they have a B.S. degree called "Management Information Systems"

Is it in Business? Business Management Information Systems degree is what I have. It is the best degree possible for IT. You get a great insight on the business side of a company and the IT side (and how things work, and how companies view IT and such). Companies love for IT people to understand the business lingo, understand how all aspects of business works, understand how everything correlates and how you can add value with IT to the company. Business IS gives you those fundamentals compared to any other IT major.
 05-03-2012, 10:05 PM         #49
Skratch  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
When i was in H.S at my technical school we took the A+ & Net+ exams, one dude in my class had this program that basically has all the questions on it from the real test and we all basically study that sh*t hard and got both our certs, nice way to get your cert without takin extra classes, but i took both the class and the program, but my boy just told me about this site that has the program for 99, im thinkin about buyin that sh*t for security+
 6 years ago '04        #50
ShadyKidd 
space
space
space
$380 | Props total: 0 0
 HarryPNess said:
I have a question.

As someone previously said, MIS is basically an IT degree that teaches you from a business management perspective. You won't learn much about detailed coding, network security, or other highly technical topics. Rather, you will be given a broad understanding of the different layers of IT. There will be some classes on IT risk a.ssessments and the management of people, process, and technology that keep businesses going.

This is a good degree if you like IT but don't want to be a coder or technical expert. Common career paths are in IT Audit, IT risk compliance, and many consulting type jobs. This is the field that I work in, so feel free to ask any more questions.

For all of you just looking to break into the field some of the hottest topics that every fortune 500 company is thinking about is the impact emerging technologies have on their organization. For example, cloud computing, mobile device security, and social media are very hot topics. Each of these areas provides great opportunity for businesses but with that comes an increased exporsure to IT risk. Drop this idea during an interview and they will be impressed.
 6 years ago '10        #51
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
$9,245 | Props total: 1295 1295
 Skratch said:
When i was in H.S at my technical school we took the A+ & Net+ exams, one dude in my class had this program that basically has all the questions on it from the real test and we all basically study that sh*t hard and got both our certs, nice way to get your cert without takin extra classes, but i took both the class and the program, but my boy just told me about this site that has the program for 99, im thinkin about buyin that sh*t for security+
Security+ exam you should know about half of it just from being an everyday computer user. Lots of stuff about viruses and their different types. Lots of common sense on there as well.

Hardest part to learn and memorize is cryptography.
 05-04-2012, 01:58 AM         #52
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 egotistical said:
Is it in Business? Business Management Information Systems degree is what I have. It is the best degree possible for IT. You get a great insight on the business side of a company and the IT side (and how things work, and how companies view IT and such). Companies love for IT people to understand the business lingo, understand how all aspects of business works, understand how everything correlates and how you can add value with IT to the company. Business IS gives you those fundamentals compared to any other IT major.
Yupp it is definitely in Business. Kudos to you sir. And thank you for the info. I think ima pursue this degree instead of Computer Science.

ShadyKidd said:
As someone previously said, MIS is basically an IT degree that teaches you from a business management perspective. You won't learn much about detailed coding, network security, or other highly technical topics. Rather, you will be given a broad understanding of the different layers of IT. There will be some classes on IT risk a.ssessments and the management of people, process, and technology that keep businesses going.

This is a good degree if you like IT but don't want to be a coder or technical expert. Common career paths are in IT Audit, IT risk compliance, and many consulting type jobs. This is the field that I work in, so feel free to ask any more questions.

For all of you just looking to break into the field some of the hottest topics that every fortune 500 company is thinking about is the impact emerging technologies have on their organization. For example, cloud computing, mobile device security, and social media are very hot topics. Each of these areas provides great opportunity for businesses but with that comes an increased exporsure to IT risk. Drop this idea during an interview and they will be impressed.
Props to you too Sir. Appreciate the info. :agreement6:
 6 years ago '04        #53
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 ShadyKidd said:

All good sh*t. Except for the part about the coder and technical expert. I know many people with Business IS degrees that are both. Its all about who you know, what your welling to learn (meaning outside of school), and lastly what you do after being it gets certs or what not.
 6 years ago '09        #54
faceoffizhere 
space
space
$4,659 | Props total: 842 842
bookmarked
 05-06-2012, 08:23 PM         #55
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 faceoffizhere said:
bookmarked
ditto
 6 years ago '05        #56
Based_One 79 heat pts79
space
space
$9,711 | Props total: 7018 7018
so much more info from when I was last here props all around a n*gga trying to change his life around fu*ked up in the past now making amends for my son.
 6 years ago '04        #57
x Tha Arkitek x 59 heat pts59
space
space
$18,678 | Props total: 6817 6817
 rek0nize said:
All COMPTia Certs now expire after 3 years. Started this last year.

Well, you definitely don't get a degree and certs for helpdesk, but you can get your feet wet in some sort of a technical job while you get your degree to become a Software Engineer or Network or Security guy. A Helpdesk job will look better on your resume than a job at Subway will to potential future employers.
Not all CompTIA exam expire in 3 years, only A+, Network+, Security+ and Advanced Security Practitioner are included. Currently all other CompTIA exams are good for life (and nearly useless to get).

miltownhpt said:
thats that bullsh*t right there about comptia... i got mine in 2000 are they grandfathering people in? fu*k it, im not retaking it ..ill keep it on my resume its not like employers check or verify. i havent had one in 12 yrs at least
You're good. Any CompTIA exams obtained on 31 December 2011 and prior are still good for life, BUT you'll find that certain employers require that you have a recent version obtained in the last 3 years if any of those are a requirement for a job you're applying for. This is something you'll see with fed. government and government contracted IT positions.

Skratch said:
Don't take the advice from this guy, study the proper way. It doesn't take long to prep for CompTIA exams. Buy a $40 study guide (i prefer David L Prowse's books), read and take the included practice exams. Brain dumping will get you no where.
 6 years ago '04        #58
Zab_JudahX 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,051 | Props total: 9 9
I graduated in May 2010 with a BS in Information Technology. I've been working for a fortune 500 company for 23 months...I'm not making that much bread right now, considering I have a family, I make roughly 44k a year right out of college. I hate my job, im at a NOC 24x7x365 environment, we are a helpdesk also and we monitor 200+ applications in the data center. The monitoring portion I enjoy but I rarely get to dive into it due to all of the end user support calls we receive. I would like to obtain a specialized networking role, I'd rather be caged up in a room with servers/equipment vs talking to 70 different people per day.

My degree made me a shoe in for this job, timing was perfect, I'm the only one on my team with a bachelors and the next closest person to me in age is 15 years older than me.

I'm currently trying to obtain some certs now, a few positions opened up within the company but I was rejected, I believe the certs would have increased my chances.

Ultimately I would like the Net+, Linux+, MCSA, CCNA. I recommend going for the certs, from what ive seen an a.ssociates degree can get you in the door, those programs give you good hands on experience, something I didnt get with my Bachelors. My bachelors was mainly programming and theory.

Whichever route you choose, good luck and shout out to the guy who posted WGU, I might enroll in that program since my job will pay for it...

Last edited by Zab_JudahX; 05-09-2012 at 09:45 PM..
 05-11-2012, 12:46 AM         #59
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
do people really learn all of the info in those comptia books?

seems like alot of ish. to the point where you would get bored.

where can i learn some hands on training? maybe youtube?
 6 years ago '04        #60
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 specialk103185 said:
If you are going to get your bachelors degree do it in business or project management. A lot of folks over estimate how many degrees you need to get a high paying IT job especially if you are Northern Virginia (that's where I work). Your a.ssociates is good, and I would try to get some decent experience in the field and whatever direction you choose get certifications in it. A Bachelors degree in IT will pigeon hole you. If you do it in something more broad like business management, project management, or communications you can always use certifications and work experience to help you land a more specific job. EVERYBODY wants to be in IT because if you have the aptitude for it, you can pick up the skills quickly and find a job shortly after. That's great but because of this, companies are constantly trying to pay someone less to do your job. Network admins around here used to make somewhere in the 80K-115K range. Now they try to pay a network admin with less than 5 years of experience about 45K-55K. The field is over-saturated, so companies value people that have more to offer than just an IT skill, like management and/or project planning. Just the trend i've seen. Hope it helps.
Whats up Special K? How you been?

On a different note this is why I would do a Business Information Systems degree you get the business side of the degree and the computer experience. I agree majority of companies will low-ball you when it comes to IT, because most see IT as not really adding direct value.

As to address everyone doing the a.ssociate route. I personally have seen it work good and bad. On the good side I have seen a few guys know the right people and work there way up to high position with a.ssociates only, but this is usually after years. On the bad note I have seen people struggle to get jobs after even having a decent amount of experience, and get denied of promotion due to lack of credentials. Furthermore, its best that you think long term versus short term when you approach these situations. You even have great self pace online school that will get you a cert and a degree at the same time. My input is to go all in.
Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
70 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
78 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
195 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
77 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
80 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
25 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
26 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy