Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
18 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
84 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Read Westbrooks lips to Embiid
68 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '08        #21
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
space
$3,332 | Props total: 19 19

I visit these forums from time to time. They have alot of info over there.
 6 years ago '10        #22
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
$9,245 | Props total: 1294 1294
 Kizzle504 said:

I visit these forums from time to time. They have alot of info over there.
Yeah, I'm a member there as well. It's a good site.
 6 years ago '10        #23
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
 Kizzle504 said:
what books do you all suggest one study for A+? be specific.
For the A+ Mike Myers is a pretty good book to read.

I used Labsim back in the day for mine to avoid having to read a whole damn book. Just watched there videos and did virtual labs and took practice tests.
 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM         #24
jumpoff0421  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Question. Could I get a help desk position right now with just an a.ssocaites in IT? Or will I need to get that A+ to get a help desk position while going to school?
 6 years ago '10        #25
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
 jumpoff0421 said:
Question. Could I get a help desk position right now with just an a.ssocaites in IT? Or will I need to get that A+ to get a help desk position while going to school?
I mean, you can land a job with nothing if you know your stuff and get lucky or know somebody. A lot of Help Desk jobs look for an A+ though as the job is entry level and that cert is entry level.

If anything else you will get passed the HR filter. The way it works at my company and I've heard for a lot of others is, the managers tell HR if a persons Resume doesn't show some certain things they are looking for, just toss them in the trash.

Some of the key things they tell HR from what I've seen is a degree and certs. Some people say you don't know need a degree, but a company looking for a person with one will most likely never give you the chance to showcase your skills because you couldn't even get passed the HR screen.

There is a lot of talented people out there too without degrees. Comes down to knowing somebody a lot of times for them or having a lot of experience on their resume that will make them look past not having a degree.
 6 years ago '04        #26
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,808 | Props total: 1476 1476
 rek0nize said:
I mean, you can land a job with nothing if you know your stuff and get lucky or know somebody. A lot of Help Desk jobs look for an A+ though as the job is entry level and that cert is entry level.

If anything else you will get passed the HR filter. The way it works at my company and I've heard for a lot of others is, the managers tell HR if a persons Resume doesn't show some certain things they are looking for, just toss them in the trash.

Some of the key things they tell HR from what I've seen is a degree and certs. Some people say you don't know need a degree, but a company looking for a person with one will most likely never give you the chance to showcase your skills because you couldn't even get passed the HR screen.

There is a lot of talented people out there too without degrees. Comes down to knowing somebody a lot of times for them or having a lot of experience on their resume that will make them look past not having a degree.
This is the mutafu*kin true. I try to preach to these dudes stacking up on certs and not trying to pursue their degrees. That HR screening process ain't no joke. I was telling dude this the other day that majority of the times companies would rather gamble on the guy with the degree versus having a few certs.

The key to take away from this thread is to be versatile have a degree little certs and some experience. I would suggest you should work on what takes you longest (being the degree first) then getting certs and experience in the meanwhile.
 6 years ago '06        #27
miltownhpt 
space
space
$59 | Props total: 11 11
 jumpoff0421 said:
i think you can. its easier to go through a tech contractor especially with no experience. they can get into the doors to jobs/companies without the hassle, scrutiny, and wait of a typical hiring process. most companies usually hire permanent employees through the contractor after doing a contract with them like temp to hire. companies dont want to invest time and money and be locked into an employee they cant easily fire or have to layoff....or sometime the business needs change and want to get rid of someone easier ...why they do a lot of work through them...
 6 years ago '10        #28
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
 egotistical said:
This is the mutafu*kin true. I try to preach to these dudes stacking up on certs and not trying to pursue their degrees. That HR screening process ain't no joke. I was telling dude this the other day that majority of the times companies would rather gamble on the guy with the degree versus having a few certs.

The key to take away from this thread is to be versatile have a degree little certs and some experience. I would suggest you should work on what takes you longest (being the degree first) then getting certs and experience in the meanwhile.

Exactly. Having some versatility, by having a little bit of everything will help out a lot. I tell people the same thing, work on you degree and while you're in college be on the look out for Entry level positions where you can start getting your feet wet and get some experience also while working on some certs.

Not to mention if you attend WGU you knock out certs and degree all in one.
 6 years ago '08        #29
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
space
So much info in the thread. :applause:

I have a question though. When you all say "Get your degree" are you referring to a.ssociates or Bachelors?

Or does it not matter which one as long as it's a degree?
 6 years ago '04        #30
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,101 | Props total: 4118 4118
 Kizzle504 said:

I have a question though. When you all say "Get your degree" are you referring to a.ssociates or Bachelors?

I guess it depends. My advice from my journey, is to always stay active. If you're not working, I'd advise getting both certs and work on a degree. In the meantime look for a job. If you have one, and are just starting off, I'd say, still go after your certs first(see if your job will pay for them), then go after an a.ssociate's. If you can get away with it, see if they'll pay for you to get a Bachelor's. The Bachelor's in the end will give you the best earning potential. The certs and a.ssociate's though, will put your foot in the door and help you up the ladder quicker in the meantime if that makes sense.
 6 years ago '06        #31
miltownhpt 
space
space
 rek0nize said:

Exactly. Having some versatility, by having a little bit of everything will help out a lot. I tell people the same thing, work on you degree and while you're in college be on the look out for Entry level positions where you can start getting your feet wet and get some experience also while working on some certs.

Not to mention if you attend WGU you knock out certs and degree all in one.

i think it depends also on what path you want to take in IT.

desktop support, help desk, networking, server sh*t..... get certs, degree is a waste of time and money (maybe not for certain server sh*t..)

management, project coordination/mgmt, app development/support, database administration, security, web programming, ... i think degrees are required, some positions need masters.

the positions at the top you will make anywhere between 25k- 100k, the positions on the bottom, you can make between 70k -150k depending on experience and your negotiation skills....

i got the A+ and Network + and most times made more than co-workers with a degree..i took the CCNA in 03 and failed that bi*ch miserably.. i'm gonna take it again soon, i should pass this time, cisco stuff you have to take very seriously which i didn't and they don't grade like a typical test

A+ and Network+ certs don't expire.. Cisco and Microsoft ones you have to renew usually every three years..

If your hustle is right, you can make another 10k/yr or more doing side work, fixing pcs in the area, flipping, taking weekend projects through contractors, making websites, etc

Help Desk - the call center version is a slave job, fu*k that.. but it is entry level..most IT folks serve they time on one or more... that job will make you stay on your grind to move up.

if you get a permament gig somewhere, a lot of times they have tuition reimbursement programs.. use that to get your degree.

this is just my advice though, everyone comes up differently in this.
 6 years ago '06        #32
miltownhpt 
space
space
 Kizzle504 said:

bro, i tried to respond to your PM but it keep telling me i need to be an active member to respond.. i don't know wtf is up with that..
 6 years ago '10        #33
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
 miltownhpt said:
i think it depends also on what path you want to take in IT.

desktop support, help desk, networking, server sh*t..... get certs, degree is a waste of time and money (maybe not for certain server sh*t..)

management, project coordination/mgmt, app development/support, database administration, security, web programming, ... i think degrees are required, some positions need masters.

the positions at the top you will make anywhere between 25k- 100k, the positions on the bottom, you can make between 70k -150k depending on experience and your negotiation skills....

i got the A+ and Network + and most times made more than co-workers with a degree..i took the CCNA in 03 and failed that bi*ch miserably.. i'm gonna take it again soon, i should pass this time, cisco stuff you have to take very seriously which i didn't and they don't grade like a typical test

A+ and Network+ certs don't expire.. Cisco and Microsoft ones you have to renew usually every three years..

If your hustle is right, you can make another 10k/yr or more doing side work, fixing pcs in the area, flipping, taking weekend projects through contractors, making websites, etc

Help Desk - the call center version is a slave job, fu*k that.. but it is entry level..most IT folks serve they time on one or more... that job will make you stay on your grind to move up.

if you get a permament gig somewhere, a lot of times they have tuition reimbursement programs.. use that to get your degree.

this is just my advice though, everyone comes up differently in this.
All COMPTia Certs now expire after 3 years. Started this last year.

Well, you definitely don't get a degree and certs for helpdesk, but you can get your feet wet in some sort of a technical job while you get your degree to become a Software Engineer or Network or Security guy. A Helpdesk job will look better on your resume than a job at Subway will to potential future employers.
 6 years ago '08        #34
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
space
 miltownhpt said:
bro, i tried to respond to your PM but it keep telling me i need to be an active member to respond.. i don't know wtf is up with that..
lol it's all good.

I was just seeking advice about this IT world.
 6 years ago '06        #35
miltownhpt 
space
space
 Kizzle504 said:
lol it's all good.

I was just seeking advice about this IT world.

yeah i feel u, this sh*t is relatively easy to get into but that first gig is going to be the hardest to get. but once you are in its up to you to continue building on that experience. after a certain point.. you have to know which jobs to take and which to pass up. that is key also.
 6 years ago '06        #36
miltownhpt 
space
space
 rek0nize said:

Well, you definitely don't get a degree and certs for helpdesk, but you can get your feet wet in some sort of a technical job while you get your degree to become a Software Engineer or Network or Security guy. A Helpdesk job will look better on your resume than a job at Subway will to potential future employers.
thats that bullsh*t right there about comptia... i got mine in 2000 are they grandfathering people in? fu*k it, im not retaking it ..ill keep it on my resume its not like employers check or verify. i havent had one in 12 yrs at least
 6 years ago '06        #37
miltownhpt 
space
space
 rek0nize said:

what line of work do you do in IT?
 6 years ago '10        #38
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
 miltownhpt said:
thats that bullsh*t right there about comptia... i got mine in 2000 are they grandfathering people in? fu*k it, im not retaking it ..ill keep it on my resume its not like employers check or verify. i havent had one in 12 yrs at least
Yeah, if you got it before they changed their policy you're good for life.
 6 years ago '10        #39
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
 miltownhpt said:
what line of work do you do in IT?
Software Engineer
 04-24-2012, 02:44 AM         #40
JackMeHoff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I may be totally wrong about this, but are IT guys the people who work for Comcast/Time Warner/?

If so, what career did they choose?
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
112 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
139 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
167 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
When You Catch The Homie Wearin Fake Red 11s
19 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
130 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
150 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
352 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy