Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
63 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
44 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
162 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 04-09-2012, 10:48 PM         #1
7646 pageviews
109 comments

jumpoff0421 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Questions for my IT workers

So I have a a.ssociates in IT Network Admin. I recently moved to NoVA to attend George Mason and get a Bachelors degree concentrated in Network Security. Now the situation is I currently work full time at a job I don't like and has nothing to do with IT. I have two years to finish school with the Bachelors. I'm trying to get my plan together so I make good decisions from this point on. Now I'm sure some of y'all are in the IT field and I need some help on what I should start doing. Is finishing school with the Bachelors degree a good idea? Should I focus more on certifications now? Which certifications can help me jump in the IT field now? Any help is appreciated just want to get some knowledge from people already in the game.

109 comments for "Questions for my IT workers"

6 years ago '05        #2
R4P 11 heat pts11
space
space
$7,012 | Props total: 232 232
my boy is 2 years removed from college he majored in network security. looking at making 160k+ thanks to security clearance and a couple of certs.

my advice to you is get a good internship that can lead you to a security clearance, it will make you crazy money as well as certs. Bachelors in IT is overrated he'll be the first to tell you hes not using anything he learned in college now.

do your hw tho dont just drop out cuz of what i said
 6 years ago '04        #3
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,813 | Props total: 1478 1478
 R4P said:
my boy is 2 years removed from college he majored in network security. looking at making 160k+ thanks to security clearance and a couple of certs.

my advice to you is get a good internship that can lead you to a security clearance, it will make you crazy money as well as certs. Bachelors in IT is overrated he'll be the first to tell you hes not using anything he learned in college now.

do your hw tho dont just drop out cuz of what i said
Bad Advice.

Security Clearance is extra hard to come by usually u will only come by them with government type of jobs. I would stay in school get your bachelors (if you wanna save money and time look into WGU (online school). It is extremely important nowadays. Right now at this moment it isn't a 100 percent requirement, but I will say its about a 50/60 percent (it will be a min in the future especially with everyone trying to break in this field). Only time u can really get a job without IT is if u have extreme IT experience or maybe a sh*tload of certs or a connection (of course). On top of this work on your certs in the meanwhile maybe in summers or in slow time in the semester. Most important try to get a entry job in the IT field. When people come to IT they don't realize there is a ladder to get to a certain place. You can't just get 100k in 2 years. You have to start out as a help desk position then move up into your desire position and salary as you gain experience and learn things. People gotta learn with IT you gotta really love it.
 6 years ago '08        #4
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
space
$3,332 | Props total: 19 19
Which certifications should one pursue to get their foot in the door?
 6 years ago '05        #5
R4P 11 heat pts11
space
space
$7,012 | Props total: 232 232
 egotistical said:
Bad Advice.

Security Clearance is extra hard to come by usually u will only come by them with government type of jobs.

You can't just get 100k in 2 years.
Thats why I said to try and get an internship that will lead to a security clearance.

and my buddy started out making 80k his first year after college and will double that within the next few months.
 6 years ago '06        #6
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
space
$40,542 | Props total: 18051 18051
 R4P said:
Thats why I said to try and get an internship that will lead to a security clearance.

and my buddy started out making 80k his first year after college and will double that within the next few months.
damnnnn 160k in his 20s? Thats realll
 04-11-2012, 10:22 AM         #7
platano_234  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yea, I'm considering changing my focus in college from Business to IT because the past few months I got this contract job very entry level IT stuff (Moving computers from one desk to another desk on the other side of the office). So we did that a couple of times and then started showing us other IT stuff, and I found that entertaining cause it was always something different and at times it makes you scratch your head cause some applications do not work with certain operating systems so you have to do a little research, but for the most part it was easy. The best part is that you get to meet everybody in the company (including the s3xy ladies that work there) and whenever they have a problem with the computer, they call you.

So just try to get an entry level job, cause the certs are good, but the experience is worth more!
 6 years ago '10        #8
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
$9,245 | Props total: 1295 1295

You can get your Bachelors from WGU along with certs at the same time. Cheap in cost and you can knock it out fast, depending how much time you can put towards it.

Some Certs you get with the degree:

Cisco Certified Network a.ssociate (CCNA®)
Cisco Certified Network a.ssociate Security (CCNA® Security)
Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
CompTIA Security+

Then they have a Masters in Security & a.ssurance after you get your BS too.

You learn:

Network Security Practices and Policies
Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices
Organizational Management
Hacking
Cyberlaw, Regulations and Compliance
Vulnerability a.ssessment
Forensics and Network Intrusion
Risk Management
Security Policy and Standards
Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response

Certs include:

EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350)
EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349)
GIAC G2700 (Standards and Policies)
 6 years ago '06        #9
bugzbirdman 
space
space
$422 | Props total: 10 10
 rek0nize said:

You can get your Bachelors from WGU along with certs at the same time. Cheap in cost and you can knock it out fast, depending how much time you can put towards it.

CompTIA Security+

You learn:

Hacking
Risk Management

Certs include:

Props on this bro. I'm trying to break into the IT field myself. I studied 2 years of Computer Systems Technology at my college before I dropped out (started working and making money, cared less about school) but I never got my degree. I'm working at Best Buy now in Computers, bout to transfer to Geek Squad so I can get some experience in the field fixing computers. I'm also going for my certs, A+, then network+, then security+. I was thinking about going back to school just to get a degree to fall back on, but I'm hesitant because I really hate school, but this online degree looks promising.
 6 years ago '10        #10
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
$9,245 | Props total: 1295 1295
 bugzbirdman said:
Props on this bro. I'm trying to break into the IT field myself. I studied 2 years of Computer Systems Technology at my college before I dropped out (started working and making money, cared less about school) but I never got my degree. I'm working at Best Buy now in Computers, bout to transfer to Geek Squad so I can get some experience in the field fixing computers. I'm also going for my certs, A+, then network+, then security+. I was thinking about going back to school just to get a degree to fall back on, but I'm hesitant because I really hate school, but this online degree looks promising.
Yeah WGU is a new type learning model. Based on competencies. Meaning if you already know a certain area in a subject you can accelerate right passed it.

They have other IT degrees as well and they all cost 3k for every 6 months. You can add courses anytime you need during a 6th month term, so you can knock out as much as you can for your 3k.

I know they have over 35k students around the USA at all times enrolled and growing fast.

They are non profit too which is the best thing.

Definitely a good college if you're looking to save some money and knock it out fast as you can.
 6 years ago '04        #11
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 R4P said:

Getting an internship that leads to security clearance is like a 1/1000 chance (very few IT jobs even need security clearance). 80k out of college maybe in NY, definitely not down south (usually there is a extremely low possibility u make 80k right out of college unless u been interning since freshman year or sophomore year and have major experience or previous experience).
 6 years ago '04        #12
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 rek0nize said:

CompTIA Security+

You learn:

Hacking
Risk Management

Certs include:

Co-sign all this. WGU is the future best IT college right now. Great bang for your buck. It gives you ample preparation for the real world.
 6 years ago '05        #13
Based_One 79 heat pts79
space
space
$9,711 | Props total: 7019 7019
imma have to try this instead of the school i'm at now I was in retail management but i got of it and looking for something new I love computers so this is right up my alley.
 6 years ago '06        #14
miltownhpt 
space
space
$59 | Props total: 11 11
save your time and money going for a degree for now at least... and get some certs (a+, network +, security + in your case) ... you should be able to get those on your own but they have claases for each at schools like new horizons and other but some of those schools are ripoffs so watch out ...otherwise get the study books from barnes and nobles with the practice test cd rom....get with some contractors like adecco, robert half, etc to get you some contract jobs which will be anywhere from weeked projects to 1 yr contracts to temp to hire gigs to get some quick experience. degrees in IT are really only needed if you are trying to be in management. but i tell everybody after you start getting money and experience then you can finish your degree. as far as making that kinda bread out the gate, not impossible but that aint the norm but you can quickly get to that point by making the right moves with some luck.

the money is in application development and creating databases and sh*t like that, being cisco certified..project management to an extent, mid level management and higher.
 6 years ago '08        #15
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
space
what books do you all suggest one study for A+? be specific.
 6 years ago '06        #16
miltownhpt 
space
space
 Kizzle504 said:
what books do you all suggest one study for A+? be specific.
the comptia a+ book is the official one. exam cram is straight too.. but you gotta get the full book with the cd... make sure you dont get the quick study books which really on have the fake tests in them. also dont worry about fully understanding everything in that book just learn it for the test.. you wont use or remember like half of it in a real work environment.

i also tell cats trying to get in help desk or desktop support, you should know how to build a pc from sctrach, take it apart and vice versa, load windows, drivers. tkae an extra 500, get on newegg and buy all the components...that'll really help you study for the test with some hands on
 6 years ago '06        #17
miltownhpt 
space
space
 egotistical said:
Bad Advice.

Security Clearance is extra hard to come by usually u will only come by them with government type of jobs. I would stay in school get your bachelors (if you wanna save money and time look into WGU (online school). It is extremely important nowadays. Right now at this moment it isn't a 100 percent requirement, but I will say its about a 50/60 percent (it will be a min in the future especially with everyone trying to break in this field). Only time u can really get a job without IT is if u have extreme IT experience or maybe a sh*tload of certs or a connection (of course). On top of this work on your certs in the meanwhile maybe in summers or in slow time in the semester. Most important try to get a entry job in the IT field. When people come to IT they don't realize there is a ladder to get to a certain place. You can't just get 100k in 2 years. You have to start out as a help desk position then move up into your desire position and salary as you gain experience and learn things. People gotta learn with IT you gotta really love it.
yeah you not typically gonna get 100 that quick. not impossible i guess but honestly it think 160k is a stretch ... executive management might be making that much but they been in the game like 20yrs...
 6 years ago '06        #18
bugzbirdman 
space
space
$422 | Props total: 10 10
I got some books if you need em. I'm currently studying the A+ book. So far its pretty good, really informative, they even got lil practice tests after each chapter.

04-22-2012, 11:24 AM         #19
aftrmath959  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cisco certs are where the money's at. CCNA is a great place to start. Microsoft certs as well. But just like with any job, it's all about who you know.

filestube.com my friend

Last edited by aftrmath959; 04-22-2012 at 11:27 AM..
 6 years ago '08        #20
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
space
good info in here. I'm bout to prop yall.

Plus I BookMarked this thread. :D
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
100 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
185 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who are these washed up niggas next to Drake?
60 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
83 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy