iPhone users: Android is ruining our Instagram club

most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
74 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
85 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Read Westbrooks lips to Embiid
56 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #1
9270 pageviews
124 comments

Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35
space
space
$1,882 | Props total: 9 9

by Emily Dreyfuss

Since Instagram became available for Android users yesterday, a lobby of "but that was OUR app!" tweets are starkly highlighting the rift between iPhoners and Androiders.

Vocal iOS fans are unhappy that Instagram is no longer exclusive to them. Suddenly, their club is letting Android users in! How could it be?

The allure of exclusivity is understandable. As a Droid Incredible owner who sat on the sidelines as the Instagram app became increasingly popular, I felt a pang of jealousy and longing whenever I looked at my iPhone-owning friends' beautifully saturated pictures. I can only imagine that they felt a similar little pang of satisfaction knowing their pictures were "special" in that they weren't replicable by everyone.

--------------------------
Instagram went from a gated community to section 8 all in 1 day.
— Joel (@joelby1328) April 4, 2012
--------------------------

In some ways, this reminds me of my junior year of high school, when I'd fallen in with a group of cool alternative kids. It was so exciting! Their tastes were so...cultivated! They introduced me to this awesome new band that sang this sad, beautiful song, "Yellow." Oh, how we loved it. We sat on the subway, each listening to it on our separate Walkmans (this was right before the iPod came out), and it was our music. It got us.

Then suddenly, Coldplay took off and my friends were disgusted that "Yellow" was being piped through the speakers at Barnes & Noble! Ew! Now EVERYONE could listen to it? At that point, it was taboo for me to like it.

But for the most part, that's just cultural elitism; it's annoying and off-putting, but not especially harmful.

However, the Instagram-on-Android outrage has taken on an insidious undertone. This tweet, sent in reaction to the uproar, captures it well.

-------------------------------
Someone needs to cover the overtly racist reaction of more than a few @Instagram users to Android joining their club.
— ashwin (@ashwindeshmukh) April 4, 2012
-------------------------------

Read through a few of the "Eww, Android users in my Instagram feed!" tweets, and there's no denying the response is classist. The use of the term "Section 8" is undeniably so. That the underlying a.ssumption there is wrong doesn't seem to matter.

Choosing which smartphone to buy is a profoundly "first-world" problem. Anyone with a smartphone is paying a huge monthly data rate; to accuse Android users as a whole of government-assistance-level poverty is ridiculous, and potentially hurtful. Even more so because there may in fact be a real -- albeit slight -- difference in the average incomes of Android and iPhones users.

Consider this Hunch survey that Buzzfeed points out, which suggests that though Android users are in no socioeconomic way "poor," they may be less likely than iPhone users to be "rich," if we define rich as making more than $200,000 a year.

Really, people? An app is bringing out the disdain of the "haves" to the "maybe-have-a-little-lesses"?

--------------------------------------
Instagram just went from a Country Club, to a club in the country all in one day!
— 2 M's (@MelleMontana) April 3, 2012
--------------------------------------

References to people not being allowed into country clubs hits home with me as an American Jew. And though the iOS/Android rift is obviously nowhere near as destructive or serious as that exclusion, the similarities bear noticing. These iOS users are upset that Android users are suddenly joining them inside the cool, wonderful walls of Instagram, presumably not because they think the iPhone is better than Android phones, but because they think iPhone owners are somehow superior to Android owners.

And that's the most remarkable takeaway of this phenomenon, I think: that which smartphone we own has begun to inform our identities. In our gadget-filled lives, our phones have become another way for us to organize ourselves into separate groups, to label each other as "other" and "apart." Our tech has come to define us.

Is it naive of me to point out that all we smartphone-toters are basically the same? We use our phones to text, get on the Web, check Facebook, take pictures, find our way to new locations, get out of awkward situations. Maybe it is naive to point it out, but I'm going to anyway.

Let's just all get along, guys, and share pictures of beautiful sunsets.

[pic - click to view]

iPhone users: Android is ruining our Instagram club | Mobile - CNET News

124 comments for "iPhone users: Android is ruining our Instagram club"

6 years ago '09        #2
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,693 | Props total: 13225 13225
stop bi*chin
 6 years ago '09        #3
Spiffy 34 heat pts34
space
space
$20,051 | Props total: 26 26
People take this iphoen vs android sh*t too far. Who gives a fu*k, stop crying like a little bi*ch
 6 years ago '10        #4
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35 OP
space
space
 Spiffy said:
People take this iphoen vs android sh*t too far. Who gives a fu*k, stop crying like a little bi*ch
 6 years ago '11        #5
ThrowedNDaGame 43 heat pts43
space
space
$1,265 | Props total: 3 3
 Spiffy said:
 6 years ago '05        #6
Based_One 79 heat pts79
space
space
$9,711 | Props total: 7013 7013
people need a life seriously
 6 years ago '12        #7
noverum 
space
space
$2,876 | Props total: 1654 1654
 F.White said:
people need a life seriously
That is the life of a 1st-world citizen in the 21st century.

What people need is a reality check.
 6 years ago '05        #8
Freemind 41 heat pts41
space
space
$8,870 | Props total: 4 4
iFags

Just downloaded it... seems like it sucks... Camera360 is waaay better with way more effects
 6 years ago '10        #9
Delbert Mengel 28 heat pts28
space
space
$20,552 | Props total: 199 199
fu*king losers
 6 years ago '04        #10
SpyDa 180 heat pts180
space
space
$12,910 | Props total: 2549 2549
 Spiffy said:

Spoken like a true Droid user.....
 6 years ago '04        #11
BeatTycoon 268 heat pts268
space
space
$4,151 | Props total: 4 4
 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM         #12
choong 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Iphones users have $200,000 a year? Where the fu*k is this guy living? In London everyone and there dog got a iPhone and I can tell you now, A LOT of man on benefits have it!
 04-05-2012, 09:06 AM         #13
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ha! This is so telling of who we are as a society. Everyone wants everything they have to be exclusive....grow up
 6 years ago '07        #14
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,231 | Props total: 20009 20009
Apple stans are hilarious. "ruining our club"
 6 years ago '04        #15
abstractq 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,562 | Props total: 2835 2835
lol

Iphones are exclusive? If apple fanboys want a club, just go hang out at an apple store and politic there
 6 years ago '04        #16
ItAlY2BkLyN 238 heat pts238
space
space
$22,155 | Props total: 9509 9509
1st world problems

but seriously STFU.
 6 years ago '04        #17
efromthev 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,588 | Props total: 440 440
Our country and economy is in shambles but it will never change because these types of issues are what a lot of people tend to bi*ch about
 6 years ago '11        #18
Kyeezy 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,498 | Props total: 516 516
 Freemind said:
iFags

Just downloaded it... seems like it sucks... Camera360 is waaay better with way more effects
that's what i'm sayin yo!!! i was like wtf is up with this sh*t? i installed it yesterday and mang. whateva.

cam360 i been using for the longest and got way better sh*t.
 6 years ago '10        #19
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35 OP
space
space
 dlettern said:
Ha! This is so telling of who we are as a society. Everyone wants everything they have to be exclusive....grow up
It really is telling of who we are as a society. I was kinda surprised to see an article like this on CNET. People take this exclusive sh!t too far. Also, she makes some good points about music too. Everybody wants to be the first to hear a new artist, and when the masses finally start listening as well, the OG fans get pissed off.
 6 years ago '10        #20
HeyCobra 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,062 | Props total: 2 2
 Kyeezy said:
that's what i'm sayin yo!!! i was like wtf is up with this sh*t? i installed it yesterday and mang. whateva.

cam360 i been using for the longest and got way better sh*t.
does that upload right to facebook and ish? i think i had camera fx but it wasnt that great.

i dunno why people are so mad, its an app, plus people acting like they know each other, im not trying to instagram, facebook, or tweet people i dont know, i use it as something to share with my friends who dont live in my city
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
55 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
58 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
203 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
132 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
229 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy