David Stern wants change to age rule

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
112 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
60 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
97 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
58 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #61
Sabotage 9 heat pts
space
space
$17,240 | Props total: 35 35
 Gattsau said:
no not always......depends on the school and type of scholoraship. If ur refering to the new allowance it hasnt gone into affect yet. That is 2,000 dollars a year and is still extremely controlled. You think a 2,000 dollar allowance and giving kids a place to stay makes up for the millions theyd make in the pros
they deserve millions? why not take advantage of something that a lot of people cannot get. wasting scholarships on these 1 and done kids. there are kids working 3 jobs just to pay tuition plus a full class load and you want me to feel bad about a kid who all he does is shoot a basketball and cry he doesnt make millions...yet?

i dont see any threads about the nfl or mlb and people crying about these kids staying in college? nba just needs to adopt their rules for college to pro jump and be done with it. 1 year is a fu*king joke. make them stay all 4 or none stern.

they really should have to get a degree at least imo.
 6 years ago '11        #62
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,804 | Props total: 2668 2668
 Sabotage said:
they deserve millions? why not take advantage of something that a lot of people cannot get. wasting scholarships on these 1 and done kids. there are kids working 3 jobs just to pay tuition plus a full class load and you want me to feel bad about a kid who all he does is shoot a basketball and cry he doesnt make millions...yet?

i dont see any threads about the nfl or mlb and people crying about these kids staying in college? nba just needs to adopt their rules for college to pro jump and be done with it. 1 year is a fu*king joke. make them stay all 4 or none stern.

they really should have to get a degree at least imo.
Now this I don't agree with...there are enough jobs that need a degree that shouldn't already.
 6 years ago '04        #63
Sabotage 9 heat pts
space
space
 Gattsau said:
Completly irrelevant. They are able to do something that only a handful people in the world can do. That is why they are paid more. I agree with wasting scholarships is a joke. They shoudlnt be forced into college to be exploited. Those scholarships should goto kids who actually want to goto school and will take advantage of the oppourtunity not on a kid whose forced to be there to make rich people richer.

maybe because baseball players arent forced to goto college, pro teams sign 16/17 years old all the time.

football is different because a could coming right of hs would get k!lled in the pros. No team wants to draft a 17 yr old.
why not let these nba hopefuls develop their mind and body as well then. its not harming anybody except people like greg oden who hasnt deserved a paycheck but has made more money than most people will in a lifetime. maybe college basketball would be worth watching as these teams get older and better talent wise?
 6 years ago '10        #64
Space 2020 14 heat pts14
space
space
$2,757 | Props total: 164 164
Let them go to the pros right outta HS.

One and done is a joke. If a player is college calibur he should play college ball. If he has the ability to compete in the NBA at a HS age why not let him.

What purpose does one year of college serve?
 6 years ago '08        #65
Shaz2003 1 heat pts
space
space
$838 | Props total: 1 1
 sho 2010 said:
just make it 21 sh*t

I dont understand why this is such a big deal
Money... Rookie contracts < Vets Min, and it would force older players out of the league sooner
 6 years ago '04        #66
Sabotage 9 heat pts
space
space
 Gattsau said:
many dont need to develop their mind and body to be good players. also their is the nbdl if plaayers need to develop . why goto college?

who cares about the college game? why should a kid worry about making the college game better? he should worry about getting paid not how much money schools make
not caring about how intelligent you could become is a bad mentality to have. i understand the idea of making millions and being famous but imo i dont think it should be like that. college should be a requirment. its not even a lot to ask at all. small price to pay for a free ride
 6 years ago '11        #67
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
 Gattsau said:
Your argument gets dumber by the second.

College helps the lawyers and doctors, you cant come out of hs and perform open heart surgery, but even after school they still need to do clinicals etc.

Your really comparing the educational impact school has on basketball players to lawyers son? really?

High level math isnt even a requirement in most schools/degrees what are you even talking about? All I had to do was pass pre algebra to get my degree and never had to look at another math class.
where did I compare college basketball experience to college experience for doctors n*gga? And even non-math majors have to pass a remedial calculus class...what was your major and school?
 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM         #68
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hate the fact that these fat cats are trying to preserve their own prosperity by denying some of these kids theirs. The only people who would win with this rule change are the colleges who make millions off of these ballers yet they don't pay them d!ck. And to add insult to injury, they punish them if they seek monetary help elsewhere.

Truth is, most of these ballers come from very poor backgrounds. If you were a top 5 baller in HS and you had no food in the fridge, why should you risk getting injured in college and blowing your shot at prosperity? Aren't young geniuses allowed to attend college early? Work early? What's so different with gifted athletes doing the same? Cuz they're young, black, and poor they don't deserve the same respect? How come young Americans have to go to college but these Euros can go straight into the league no matter if the attended college or not?
 6 years ago '04        #69
Sabotage 9 heat pts
space
space
 dlettern said:
I hate the fact that these fat cats are trying to preserve their own prosperity by denying some of these kids theirs. The only people who would win with this rule change are the colleges who make millions off of these ballers yet they don't pay them d!ck. And to add insult to injury, they punish them if they seek monetary help elsewhere.

Truth is, most of these ballers come from very poor backgrounds. If you were a top 5 baller in HS and you had no food in the fridge, why should you risk getting injured in college and blowing your shot at prosperity? Aren't young geniuses allowed to attend college early? Work early? What's so different with gifted athletes doing the same? Cuz they're young, black, and poor they don't deserve the same respect? How come young Americans have to go to college but these Euros can go straight into the league no matter if the attended college or not?
blowing your shot at prosperity? college degrees can go a long way if that knee gets blown out
 6 years ago '05        #70
Majestic_GMMB 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,204 | Props total: 171 171
I think they should do it just like Football..

That would give time to rotate some of the sorry a.ss players out of the NBA and install the brand new faces....Plus I could finally see teams really compete...I think it would help CBall alot
 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM         #71
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sabotage said:
they deserve millions? why not take advantage of something that a lot of people cannot get. wasting scholarships on these 1 and done kids. there are kids working 3 jobs just to pay tuition plus a full class load and you want me to feel bad about a kid who all he does is shoot a basketball and cry he doesnt make millions...yetl
Athletic scholarships are sponsored by the NCAA. They are funded by the athletic programs and their success. They have nothing to do with other students. So technically they aren't wasting the scholarships as they are being offered to their intended recipients.

That being said, those scholarships should go to student athletes who actually want to attend school. Why force them to go to school? It defeats the purpose of being a student athletes.
 04-04-2012, 08:44 AM         #72
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sabotage said:
blowing your shot at prosperity? college degrees can go a long way if that knee gets blown out
Only if you go into school wanting to learn. What's the point of forcing them into college if they don't want to be there? They clearly aren't going to become doctors and lawyers if they blow their knee. It's asinine to a.ssume that
 6 years ago '04        #73
Sabotage 9 heat pts
space
space
 dlettern said:
Only if you go into school wanting to learn. What's the point of forcing them into college if they don't want to be there? They clearly aren't going to become doctors and lawyers if they blow their knee. It's asinine to a.ssume that
why is it asinine to think someone would want to better themselves as a just in case or learn how to spend their money?
 6 years ago '04        #74
Sabotage 9 heat pts
space
space
 Gattsau said:
In your opinion...

Im not sure why you think you should be able to force your values on others.

Should Bill gates of finished college? I can name u countless brillaint individuals who never stepped into a college classroom.

What about a rapper like Eminem or a singer like sade?
thats true. ive been saying though either make them do all 4 years or make them do zero. theres no point for that middle ground bullsh*t of a year or 2.
 6 years ago '11        #75
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
 Gattsau said:
bullsh*t.

my major was secondary education focused in history. All I needed was algebra..... Dont make sh*t up.
you just said your highest math was pre algebra, now it was algebra...im not by a computer and don't have any 2nd hand knowledge on that major but my cal for non-math major class had dance, fashion arts, journalist, and early child development majors I was always under the a.ssumption everybody that wanted a bachelor's degree needed to take that course
 6 years ago '07        #76
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18
 Sabotage said:
Having one in a million talent is much more valuable than just finishing 4 years at a school. Anyone can finish a college degree, let these kids take advantage of their talent. A year of college is completely transparent, they dont give a fu*k about basic 101 classes anyways
 6 years ago '11        #77
HipHop Since 93 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,520 | Props total: 39 39
 Sabotage said:
why is it asinine to think someone would want to better themselves as a just in case or learn how to spend their money?
If you're a basketball phenom coming from a poor background and you have an opportunity to turn your whole life around, and provide for your family by playing basketball, would you want somebody to tell you that you have to complete a certain amount of pointless years in college before you can go to the NBA?

Its 1 thing if they want to go to college, and want to pursue a degree as a backup plan, but if they dont want to then why force them?
 6 years ago '11        #78
HipHop Since 93 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,520 | Props total: 39 39
 Sabotage said:
tuition + room and board for free for 4 years is anywhere from 50k-200k when all 4 years are added up at these schools. get the fu*k out of where with that bullsh*t about them not being paid.
the school makes more off 1 basketball season than it would cost for a kid to go to college all 4 years.
 6 years ago '07        #79
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,914 | Props total: 573 573
 HipHop Since 93 said:
If you're a basketball phenom coming from a poor background and you have an opportunity to turn your whole life around, and provide for your family by playing basketball, would you want somebody to tell you that you have to complete a certain amount of pointless years in college before you can go to the NBA?

Its 1 thing if they want to go to college, and want to pursue a degree as a backup plan, but if they dont want to then why force them?
I see what your saying but they have the option of playing overseas to provide for the family...... I dont have a problem with the current system. Dont force them to stay in school but if they go for a year and they like stay, wanna go to the league you can roll

And the NBA D league isnt a cash cow either and people keep forgetting that.
 6 years ago '07        #80
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,914 | Props total: 573 573
NBA D-League Players make between $12,000 and $24,000 a YEAR...... as I said before, I dont hate the current system but add the option to go to the NBADL outta high school. Thats the only change cause teams gonna draft bad and Hyped players will be busts whether its College,Highschool or NBADL guys
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
75 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
79 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
70 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Final Bright Trailer: Will Smith Gets a Magic Wand
17 comments
2 days ago