Microsoft: Xbox 360 Users Don't Play Games

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
57 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Frequent Flier Series: Brazil
8 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
26 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
313 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '11        #1
6493 pageviews
171 comments

Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
Microsoft: Xbox 360 Users Don't Play Games

In a significant milestone for a device once known only for blasting "Halo" opponents, Microsoft's Xbox 360 video game console is now used more for watching movies and TV shows and listening to music online than playing video games online.

Microsoft has long attempted to use the Xbox 360 and its predescessor, the original Xbox, as a "trojan horse" that would use video games as a way to become the digital entertainment hub for families in the living room.

"The original vision for the Xbox was for it to be the heart of connected digital entertainment and it has been amazing to watch the arc," said Otto Berkes, a senior vice president of consumer technology at HBO who helped to launch the Xbox at Microsoft.

Yusuf Mehdi, who heads up marketing and strategy for Microsoft's Xbox business, said households now spend an average of 84 hours a month on the Xbox Live online service playing games, watching videos and listening to music. That's up 30% from a year ago. Just over half that time is spent on videos and music.

By comparison, the average household spend about 150 hours a month watching television.

"What we're seeing is that people are turning on the Xbox to play games and then keeping it on afterwards to get other types of entertainment," Mehdi said.

Over the past few years, Microsoft has added number of entertainment applications to the 360, including Netflix, ESPN, Hulu, Vudu, and YouTube.

On Tuesday, it is adding new video applications from HBO Go, Major League Baseball and Comcast Corp,'s Xfinity on demand video service.

The additions bring the total number of music, television and movie services available on Xbox Live to 36.

The new applications require that users be paying subscribers to Comcast's cable service, the HBO premium network, or MLB.tv. Those who pay will be able to watch more than 2,400 baseball games or more than 1,000 of HBO programming, including every episode of its original series like "Game of Thrones," "Boardwalk Empire" and "The Wire." Comcast subscribers will have access to thousands of movies and television shows from a variety of channels via Xfinity.

The launch of HBO Go on the Xbox is a big step towards the premium cable network's digital on-demand service becoming a direct alternative to its linear channels. While HBO Go is available on computers and a variety of digital devices like iPads, Xbox 360 owners will be able to watch it on televisions. Previously, the only way to get HBO Go on a TV was via the Roku box, which is far less popular than the Xbox 360.

"The Xbox has an extremely broad user base that can deliver a rich visual experience, which is a pretty big differentiator," said Berkes.

More than 20 million people are paying Xbox Live subscribers who can access the console's entertainment services. A total of 66 million Xbox 360s have been sold worldwide.

Microsoft previously said it would launch HBO Go and Comcast's Xfinity on its console before the end of 2011.

[pic - click to view]

Xbox now used more for online entertainment than online gaming - latimes.com

171 comments for "Microsoft: Xbox 360 Users Don't Play Games"

6 years ago '11        #2
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209 OP
space
space
space
that gif
 6 years ago '05        #3
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,661 | Props total: 13770 13770
 Oh Finesse said:
and the dinner bell has been rung

c'mon u 360 homers

[pic - click to view]

Sony wishes they were in Microsoft's shoes right now instead of being on the verge of bankruptcy. Apple Playstation 4 on the way.
 6 years ago '07        #4
RedMonkeyJunkie 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,003 | Props total: 1384 1384
So there's something wrong with taking a advantage of the service the Xbox offers? When trying to start sh*t, at least have a good argument behind you.
 6 years ago '11        #5
space
space
space
 RedMonkeyJunkie said:
So there's something wrong with taking a advantage of the service the Xbox offers? When trying to start sh*t, at least have a good argument behind you.
I never said that I take advantage of HBO, MLB, and Showtime everytime I change the channel
 6 years ago '04        #6
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
 Jesszman said:
I never said that I take advantage of HBO, MLB, and Showtime everytime I change the channel
It's a complementary service and if I'm not mistaken there's more sh*t on HBO go than there is on Demand. I know for damn sure there's more there than what Directv offers. You talking sh*t like it's a pay service, did you expect it to be free? What kind of business sense would that even make?
 6 years ago '11        #7
space
space
space
 KURUPTION!!! said:
It's a complementary service and if I'm not mistaken there's more sh*t on HBO go than there is on Demand. I know for damn sure there's more there than what Directv offers. You talking sh*t like it's a pay service, did you expect it to be free? What kind of business sense would that even make?
My bad, I just a.ssumed that if I'm paying for access, I should get it free That is how it works elsewhere, but oh well.
 6 years ago '06        #8
Special Edd 167 heat pts167
space
space
$26,616 | Props total: 8925 8925
 Jesszman said:
My bad, I just a.ssumed that if I'm paying for access, I should get it free That is how it works elsewhere, but oh well.
your so fuccin dumb. your trying to make a dumb a.ss point that is pointless and your just waiting for your butt buddy coolio to come post smilies with you. just stfu n*gga damn it. wish i can AIM BLOCK ya a.ss destroying a cool a.ss section fucc boy ayo come bufff my wood n*gga.
 6 years ago '11        #9
space
space
space
 Special Edd said:
your so fuccin dumb. your trying to make a dumb a.ss point that is pointless and your just waiting for your butt buddy coolio to come post smilies with you. just stfu n*gga damn it. wish i can AIM BLOCK ya a.ss destroying a cool a.ss section fucc boy ayo come bufff my wood n*gga.
 6 years ago '04        #10
space
space
 Jesszman said:
Again, Complementary for subscribers. Xbox Live has nothing to do with it. You can get it on several devices that you are not paying a membership to and you still need to have HBO to use it, same as all these other services. It's basically an internet version of on Demand where you need to actually subscribe to the service to have access, but I'm sure you already knew that and you're spending your day trolling like you do everyday.
 6 years ago '05        #11
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
$45,922 | Props total: 21074 21074
I wonder what that says about ps3 since 360 users play games online and purchase games more than ps3 users
 6 years ago '11        #12
space
space
space
How is it complementary if you have to own another paid service to gain access?

EDIT: I saw that edit Krayzie
 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM         #13
DXFan619 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sony on the brink of bankruptcy
 6 years ago '05        #14
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,388 | Props total: 8064 8064
why the fu*k doesnt this kid have a life school part time job a gf u would think naww fu*k that its boxden or die for jizzman
 6 years ago '05        #15
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 Jesszman said:

EDIT: I saw that edit Krayzie
I was on my phone and my wording was off and didn't sound right

You didn't respond to my statement, wouldn't you say this article makes the ps3 look worse? It's basically stating that people use their xbox 360s for EVERYTHING.
 6 years ago '04        #16
space
space
 Jesszman said:
You should probably look the up word complementary before we go any further with this discussion.
 6 years ago '11        #17
space
space
space
we wont know until sony admits that gamers dont play games on their ps3
 6 years ago '05        #18
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 RedMonkeyJunkie said:
 Special Edd said:
 TattooedMPsz said:
why the fu*k doesnt this kid have a life school part time job a gf u would think naww fu*k that its boxden or die for jizzman
Another thread backfire for Jesszman
 6 years ago '05        #19
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 Jesszman said:
we wont know until sony admits that gamers dont play games on their ps3
But it's a fact that 360 sells more games than ps3, and that users spend more hours playing games on the 360. So if 360 users don't play games, what the hell are ps3 users doing?

Oh, that's right, posting stupid threads all day on Boxden
 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM         #20
LaRy BLanco 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DJ Krayzie said:
I wonder what that says about ps3 since 360 users play games online and purchase games more than ps3 users
/thread

everytime I got online I see more people on my friends list playing cod/halo/bf/gears/2k ect. more than using apps

jizzmen dont even play ps3 let alone have one but got the nerve to post this bullshyt
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
112 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
118 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
119 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
22 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
78 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
38 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
169 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
76 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy