The Dream Says Black Singers Can’t Do Soul Anymore

most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
78 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JR Smith has a supreme shooting sleeve
44 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
122 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM         #1
7829 pageviews
146 comments

ProfitSee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The Dream Says Black Singers Can’t Do Soul Anymore

[pic - click to view]

Now last time The Dream spoke out about singers, ya’ll weren’t feeling his claim that R&B dudes have been trying to steal his sound, but this time he may actually have a point about music today.

In an interview with the Guardian in the UK, he spoke about the transfer of soul from the R&B genre to artists who you would expect to be more pop in the US, and how black artists have in turn adopted a more pop sound. He spoke on the genre he considers himself to be a part of, saying:
“It’s called rhythm and blues; they just took the blues out of it for so long.

“What’s crazy is that blacks can’t do soul records any more,” he said. “We love Adele singing it, but Beyoncé singing it? No, the tempo’s too slow, gimme the club hit. Now the blacks in America are responsible for the pop records, and everybody else is singing soulful records. It’s weird to me. We’re pigeonholed over there.”
On this, The Dream is absolutely right. This is an issue we talk about a lot, asking what is it that’s so unique about the Adeles, the Amy Winehouses, and the Duffys—basically soulful white singers from the UK that make a k!lling in the US—is it just that their sound is unexpected based on their looks and consumers go crazy over it? Is that what black artists are trying to do now by taking over the pop scene?

A friend just texted me this weekend asking me what was the deal with Chris Brown’s CD, saying he’s not R&B anymore, he’s strictly pop. That explained my confusion with his Grammy performance this year. But even Usher dabbled with the pop sound a bit on his last album, and no one would argue against the charge that Rihanna and Beyonce are extra heavy on the pop and light on the soul. The question is, is that the type of music these singers want to do or do they make this type of music because it’s the only music they can sell? There are obviously several black entertainers who have a soulful sound, but they’re not the ones getting the mainstream shine.

What do you think? Is it impossible for soulful black artists to have mainstream success in the US?

[pic - click to view]

Source

146 comments for "The Dream Says Black Singers Can’t Do Soul Anymore"

03-19-2012, 07:06 PM         #2
hurricanegamePZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
stupid as fu*k

make a soul record as good as adeles and it will sell...simple as that

nobody gives a fu*k what color u are or how fat u are....n*ggas scramblin for excuses
 6 years ago '09        #3
Ash10 21 heat pts21
space
space
$49,084 | Props total: 8861 8861
I never liked The Dream music :jay: tho he ain't lying
R.Kelly, Donnell Jones, Joe, Musiq Souldchild >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Dream
 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM         #4
coolbeans  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
its true tho
 6 years ago '10        #5
Fly Elroy 321 heat pts321
space
space
$19,394 | Props total: 474 474
 hurricanegamePZ said:
stupid as fu*k

make a soul record as good as adeles and it will sell...simple as that

nobody gives a fu*k what color u are or how fat u are....n*ggas scramblin for excuses
you're an idiot
 03-19-2012, 07:15 PM         #6
hurricanegamePZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ondatpurple said:
you're an idiot
you are

keep hiding behind excuses n*gga..see how far it takes your lame a.ss
 03-19-2012, 07:17 PM         #7
hurricanegamePZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Adele wrote the most soulful record of the last couple years...simple as that

anyone attributing it to race is a fu*kin dumb a.ss and has no future being anything important
 6 years ago '10        #8
Fly Elroy 321 heat pts321
space
space
$19,394 | Props total: 474 474
 hurricanegamePZ said:
you are

keep hiding behind excuses n*gga..see how far it takes your lame a.ss
lol @ this deluded f*ggit

I'm not a singer so what excuses am I hiding behind?

you completely missed the point of what the dream was saying

and if you took a few minutes to get your head out of adele's a.ss then maybe you'd realize the truth about modern black music and how the tables have switched
 6 years ago '04        #9
Bunz 
space
space
$1,333 | Props total: 0 0
n*gga lookin for some attention. in the past six months we got Jill Scott, Marsha Ambrosious, and Mary J. Blige. not to mention Kem and i think Anthony Hamilton is on the way
 03-19-2012, 07:24 PM         #10
ralph lauren  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
nah dream makes good music doe..
 6 years ago '09        #11
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
space
$21,084 | Props total: 1820 1820
 Heisenberg said:
gtfoh the only white chick many money off of soul records is Adele. Amy is dead and no body knows who the fu*k Duffy is. i bet 99 percent of boxden don't even know who the fu*k she is. Adele has a unique voice that is all. Soul music is dead. ALL them other bi*ches can't sing thats why. WHo the fu*k wants to hear rihanna over a soul-type record. all that yodeling. make ya ears bleed

Like most of the BX cops music, lol. I can guarantee you there is plenty of artist either overseas or even over here that are huge that nobody on here knows. BX does not live in reality n*gga.
 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM         #12
ProfitSee  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TheAwesomeOne said:
I bet she'd have more soul than the undertaker has taken at Wrestlemania.

03-19-2012, 07:51 PM         #13
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The fat white btch Adelle doesnt have soul, and Dream told the truth.
 6 years ago '10        #14
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,541 | Props total: 5871 5871
Maxwell moves quite a few units every time he drops so I wouldn't say there's no interest in " soul " music. I think what's going on is that a lot of these younger cats have no interest in making " soul " music because it's not what influenced them. They were inspired by the New Jack Swing/Hyper-s3xual era of R&B.
 6 years ago '10        #15
cjiscash 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,995 | Props total: 58 58
 tonystarks21 said:
drake the only guy making soul music right now you can really feel his pain when he sings GOAT
 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM         #16
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
We have Neo-Soul artists who drop nothing but Soul but when some pale-skinned fat British bi*ch attempts to mimic it people applaud and gush.
 6 years ago '11        #17
Illdoctor 6 heat pts
space
space
$488 | Props total: 351 351
 khaos said:

[pic - click to view]

Now last time The Dream spoke out about singers, ya’ll weren’t feeling his claim that R&B dudes have been trying to steal his sound, but this time he may actually have a point about music today.

In an interview with the Guardian in the UK, he spoke about the transfer of soul from the R&B genre to artists who you would expect to be more pop in the US, and how black artists have in turn adopted a more pop sound. He spoke on the genre he considers himself to be a part of, saying:

On this, The Dream is absolutely right. This is an issue we talk about a lot, asking what is it that’s so unique about the Adeles, the Amy Winehouses, and the Duffys—basically soulful white singers from the UK that make a k!lling in the US—is it just that their sound is unexpected based on their looks and consumers go crazy over it? Is that what black artists are trying to do now by taking over the pop scene?

A friend just texted me this weekend asking me what was the deal with Chris Brown’s CD, saying he’s not R&B anymore, he’s strictly pop. That explained my confusion with his Grammy performance this year. But even Usher dabbled with the pop sound a bit on his last album, and no one would argue against the charge that Rihanna and Beyonce are extra heavy on the pop and light on the soul. The question is, is that the type of music these singers want to do or do they make this type of music because it’s the only music they can sell? There are obviously several black entertainers who have a soulful sound, but they’re not the ones getting the mainstream shine.

What do you think? Is it impossible for soulful black artists to have mainstream success in the US?

This hamburglar lookin n*gga need to STFU.

[video - click to view]

He had the balls to produce this DOODOO and dares to say black don't make soul anymore?
Yes soul is dead... because artists like you k!lled it

This hypocrite c*nt is a f*ggot yo... and everybody who listens to his music is a f*g too. I forgive your sins though brethren, just rediscover music please
 6 years ago '06        #18
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,678 | Props total: 8629 8629
no sh*t and I havent heard a grat r & b album since Maxwell's last one.
 6 years ago '07        #19
N.O.4Life 45 heat pts45
space
space
$19,623 | Props total: 10666 10666
I kinda feel him on that but the Artist made it that way.Once you get hot doing a certain type of music n*ggas don't wanna hear nothing else from you.Perfect example is Trey Songz.Dude first album was a real R&B album but n*ggas wasn't really feelin that sh*t.So he switched his sh*t up and blew up.Now he would never be able to do an album like his first one.Black artist don't really give a fu*k about being soulful,they in it for the checks and staying relavent.That's why I fu*k wit Dreams music cause he's one of the only R&B n*ggas that still do real R&B.The rest of these n*ggas are damn near rappers n*ggas can't even sing or jus don't try to sing.Real R&B died in the 90's.
 6 years ago '07        #20
N.O.4Life 45 heat pts45
space
space
$19,623 | Props total: 10666 10666
 Illdoctor said:
This hamburglar lookin n*gga need to STFU.

He had the balls to produce this DOODOO and dares to say black don't make soul anymore?
Yes soul is dead... because artists like you k!lled it

This hypocrite c*nt is a f*ggot yo... and everybody who listens to his music is a f*g too. I forgive your sins though brethren, just rediscover music please
what the fu*k you expect him to write for her?A Jill Scott type record?As long as he still make sh*t like Fancy and Too good for me he good in my book

Last edited by N.O.4Life; 03-19-2012 at 09:52 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
21 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
60 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
25 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
201 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
86 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
48 comments
1 day ago
@tech
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy