Iggy Azalea Defends Her "Runaway Slave Master" Lyric. Was It Racist Or Not? Listen & Judge For Yours

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
44 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
251 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
152 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
123 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '05        #61
Andrefrbk 1067 heat pts1067
space
space
$22,887 | Props total: 5118 5118
 03-13-2012, 03:00 AM         #62
TheMob 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 6 years ago '04        #63
Veno da Don 23 heat pts23
space
space
$20,183 | Props total: 3329 3329
 SiqkWidaPen said:
gimmie this chick

over both these hoes anyday

fu*k this bi*ch mean she a "Runaway Slave Master", what type of sh*t is that for a white bi*ch to say on a track?!

That bi*ch was trying to purposely be controversial using race, her hip-hop pass has been revoked.
 6 years ago '12        #64
noverum 
space
space
$2,868 | Props total: 1654 1654
 Veno da Don said:
her hip-hop pass has been revoked.
Easy come, easy go.
 6 years ago '11        #65
BaseWhitaker 
space
space
$2,914 | Props total: 2781 2781
 Vin Steezel said:
:rudywha tever:
 6 years ago '11        #66
BaseWhitaker 
space
space
Honestly I think the broad just wrote some dumb sh*t and she did not expect it to be unearthed. Not to defend what she is saying, or that dipsh*tty explanation
But...I think if she knew people were actually going to listen to her sh*t then she wouldn't have said it. She did, though. So....I dunno. fu*k it.
 03-13-2012, 04:23 AM         #67
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 box5 said:
All that a.ss eating and she wouldn't give you know time of day Toby lol you Dwight Tom's don't even want to be bosses. Y'all rather be slaves to whitey smh

Ain't nothing wrong with being friends or even marrying someone that's white,but for christ sakes keep yo muthafucc'n dignity! If the clouds get out of line you don't run to their defense or co-sign em,you checc em and work it out from there,it's not hard Dwight Blackmans yell?
my dudeeeeeeeeee finally people keepin it 100 in here. black man being a white girl simp is the ultimate sin. special place in hell for them n*ggas
 6 years ago '11        #68
BaseWhitaker 
space
space
 urbangatsby said:

"Tire marks tire marks , finish line with the fire marks/ when the relay starts ma run away slave--master" - Iggy Azalea "D.R.U.G.S."

The line above has put Iggy Azalea in a position to have to defend herself after she was called out on it by another African American female rapper Azealia Banks.

As we have previously documented, the feud between the two started when Iggy was placed on the cover of the 2012 XXL Freshman cover. Banks immediately responded to it by lashing out at XXL and Iggy via Twitter.

"Iggy Azalea on the XXL freshman list is all wrong," Azealia wrote on February 28. "How can you endorse a white woman who called herself a "runaway slave master"? Sorry guys. But I'm pro black girl. I'm not anti white girl, but I'm also not here for any1 outside of my culture trying to trivialize very serious aspects of it. In any capacity. *kanye shrug*."

Since then the conflict has grown to include T,I,, who is executive producing Iggy's debut album and is also her mentor at Grand Hustle.

Today Iggy addressed the lyric by writing a letter that was posted on the website MissJia.com. Read it below:

Dear world,

Im writing you today to address a lyric I said a few months ago in one of my songs that I feel has been used to unfairly slander my character and paint me as a racist person.

Kendrick Lamar is one of my favorite artists and I loved his song ‘Look Out for Detox’ so much I decided to do my own version of it last year. The lyrics I wrote follow the original version closely; One lyric in particular has offended a lot of people and for that, I apologize.

The artist’s lyric was:
“when the relay starts I’m a runway slave”

My lyric was:
“when the relay starts I’m a runaway slave…Master, sh*tting on the past gotta spit it like a pastor

This is a metaphoric take on an originally literal lyric, and I was never trying to say I am a slave owner.

The intent was to say was that past histories have been mastered, or overcome, and that you may feel my
line was ‘sh-tting on the past,’ just as many feel pastors s*** on the bible or biblical history…although they mean no ill and just have their own take, hence the lyric ‘gotta spit it like a pastor.’

In all fairness, it was a tacky and careless thing to say and if you are offended, I am sorry. Sometimes we get so caught up in our art and creating or trying to push boundaries, we don’t stop to think how others may be hurt by it. In this situation, I am guilty of doing that and I regret not thinking things through more.

I don’t hate any race of people, and it pains me to wake up to other young people being misled to believe I do. I am for unity and equality. People should get a fair shot at whatever they want to do no matter what color they are; rap and hip hop as a culture is not exempt from this.

It is unfair to say other races who also grew up listening to rap don’t get a place too. We have a place and the Azaleans and myself are evidence of that fact. All people have a voice and equal right to use it.

In your lifetime you will say a lot of things you will wish you hadn’t too. I have to have my poor choice of words live with me forever on the internet. Please know that I have grown from this and hope to have your continued support in life and my mission of bridging the gap.

As one of my lovely azaleans said last week: we are the prototype and far beyond the stereotype.

Love always,

Iggamonster.

[pic - click to view]

How can she be racist if shes fu*king the blackest rapper in the game, doe?
 6 years ago '12        #69
Faythung 1389 heat pts1389
space
space
$15,191 | Props total: 9800 9800
White women gotta stop rapping.
 6 years ago '09        #70
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
space
$21,073 | Props total: 1813 1813
 SiqkWidaPen said:

I was bout to go in on this hoe for this sh*t but she k!lled it. Can't lie.
 6 years ago '05        #71
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,815 | Props total: 2614 2614
 cheguevara said:
stfu fat n*gga.
you mad you so whitewashed you see nothing wrong with a bi*ch calling herself a slave master in the music your black people have created, cornball

I wonder what would happen if a black musician was gettin big in country music and he called himself "Cracka k!lla". KKK Would be at that n*gga doorstep. But y'all sellouts are okay with a bi*ch basically saying the same thing cause she's "fine".

SiqkWidaPen said:
gimmie this chick

over both these hoes anyday

[pic - click to view]

If it ain't Na'Tee i don't wanna see it on this damn site.

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #72
MegaTON 22 heat pts22
space
space
$24,111 | Props total: 289 289
iggy is a fu*kin cornball
 6 years ago '07        #73
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,368 | Props total: 15995 15995
isn't she Australian?
 6 years ago '11        #74
superdrunken 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,849 | Props total: 82 82
 Mel Rose said:
iggy attractive so ima back her in this that other bi*ch look like kevin garnett
 6 years ago '11        #75
megalomaniacal 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,657 | Props total: 4745 4745
fuk this bi*ch, she and her handlers laughing at u clown a.ss n*ggas
fuk t.i. 2
 6 years ago '10        #76
Gottagat 
space
space
$11,644 | Props total: 218 218
 MegaTON said:
iggy is a fu*kin cornball
 megalomaniacal said:
fuk this bi*ch, she and her handlers laughing at u clown a.ss n*ggas
fuk t.i. 2
these.
 6 years ago '11        #77
Nazir 
space
space
space
$93 | Props total: 0 0
So...this random oreo who makes records for white hipsters is jealous of an obese white chick who makes records for dumb n*ggas.

Okay.
 6 years ago '04        #78
SMBNYC 5 heat pts
space
space
$762 | Props total: 14 14
let's be serious both these bi*ches are trash. Iggy is fly tho
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
73 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
26 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
30 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
235 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL CBS James Brown Hairline Is Seriously Making Me Uncomfortable
101 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
106 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
The Rock has a message for The Avengers
38 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
59 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy