Iggy Azalea Defends Her "Runaway Slave Master" Lyric. Was It Racist Or Not? Listen & Judge For Yours

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
96 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA The Original Charlotte Hornets Logo
28 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
99 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
78 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '11        #1
6009 pageviews
89 comments

UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209
space
space
$7,295 | Props total: 1071 1071
Iggy Azalea Defends Her "Runaway Slave Master" Lyric. Was It Racist Or Not? Listen & Judge For Yours

[pic - click to view]

http://www.thisis50.com/p .. -was-it-racist
"Tire marks tire marks , finish line with the fire marks/ when the relay starts ma run away slave--master" - Iggy Azalea "D.R.U.G.S."

The line above has put Iggy Azalea in a position to have to defend herself after she was called out on it by another African American female rapper Azealia Banks.

As we have previously documented, the feud between the two started when Iggy was placed on the cover of the 2012 XXL Freshman cover. Banks immediately responded to it by lashing out at XXL and Iggy via Twitter.

"Iggy Azalea on the XXL freshman list is all wrong," Azealia wrote on February 28. "How can you endorse a white woman who called herself a "runaway slave master"? Sorry guys. But I'm pro black girl. I'm not anti white girl, but I'm also not here for any1 outside of my culture trying to trivialize very serious aspects of it. In any capacity. *kanye shrug*."

Since then the conflict has grown to include T,I,, who is executive producing Iggy's debut album and is also her mentor at Grand Hustle.

Today Iggy addressed the lyric by writing a letter that was posted on the website MissJia.com. Read it below:

Dear world,

Im writing you today to address a lyric I said a few months ago in one of my songs that I feel has been used to unfairly slander my character and paint me as a racist person.

Kendrick Lamar is one of my favorite artists and I loved his song ‘Look Out for Detox’ so much I decided to do my own version of it last year. The lyrics I wrote follow the original version closely; One lyric in particular has offended a lot of people and for that, I apologize.

The artist’s lyric was:
“when the relay starts I’m a runway slave”

My lyric was:
“when the relay starts I’m a runaway slave…Master, sh*tting on the past gotta spit it like a pastor

This is a metaphoric take on an originally literal lyric, and I was never trying to say I am a slave owner.

The intent was to say was that past histories have been mastered, or overcome, and that you may feel my
line was ‘sh-tting on the past,’ just as many feel pastors s*** on the bible or biblical history…although they mean no ill and just have their own take, hence the lyric ‘gotta spit it like a pastor.’

In all fairness, it was a tacky and careless thing to say and if you are offended, I am sorry. Sometimes we get so caught up in our art and creating or trying to push boundaries, we don’t stop to think how others may be hurt by it. In this situation, I am guilty of doing that and I regret not thinking things through more.

I don’t hate any race of people, and it pains me to wake up to other young people being misled to believe I do. I am for unity and equality. People should get a fair shot at whatever they want to do no matter what color they are; rap and hip hop as a culture is not exempt from this.

It is unfair to say other races who also grew up listening to rap don’t get a place too. We have a place and the Azaleans and myself are evidence of that fact. All people have a voice and equal right to use it.

In your lifetime you will say a lot of things you will wish you hadn’t too. I have to have my poor choice of words live with me forever on the internet. Please know that I have grown from this and hope to have your continued support in life and my mission of bridging the gap.

As one of my lovely azaleans said last week: we are the prototype and far beyond the stereotype.

Love always,

Iggamonster.

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

89 comments for "Iggy Azalea Defends Her "Runaway Slave Master" Lyric. Was It Racist Or Not? Listen & Judge For Yours"

6 years ago '10        #2
Delbert Mengel 28 heat pts28
space
space
$20,551 | Props total: 195 195
all these racists getting found out
 6 years ago '05        #3
Fresh|B 976 heat pts976
space
space
$43,430 | Props total: 25078 25078
....I Wouldnt of Said sh*t. fu*k'em.....The Line Wasnt Racist. If She Said The Same Line As Kendrick It Would of Been "she biting lines,runaway slave? she want to be black?,etc.". Cant Please The "n*ggas"...
 6 years ago '09        #4
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
space
$21,083 | Props total: 1820 1820
^You really feeling this bi*ch music though? Like outside of the marketing image and extra sh*t? You listening to this sh*t in the whip or the pod? Or is it b/c of her looks?
 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM         #5
Minister 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i get it

its mad lyrical.

but it sounds bad off the rip

BUUUUT

at the end of the day

imma be looking for the bad white hoe stampede this is gonna cause to all out black functions
 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM         #6
Minister 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Boy Wonder said:
^You really feeling this bi*ch music though? Like outside of the marketing image and extra sh*t? You listening to this sh*t in the whip or the pod? Or is it b/c of her looks?
i feel like she would be good on 16s n sh*t

she on the wrong label
 6 years ago '05        #7
Fresh|B 976 heat pts976
space
space
 Boy Wonder said:
The Material She Released Is iPod Music For Me.I Just Like Her Flow,Thats Pretty Nice For A Female,The Looks Is Just A Plus. When The Label Start Moving Her Towards A Pop Sound & She Make More Tracks For Females Then That's When I Throw Up The Deuce & Dip.
 6 years ago '11        #8
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
 Fresh Whyte said:
....I Wouldnt of Said sh*t. fu*k'em.....The Line Wasnt Racist. If She Said The Same Line As Kendrick It Would of Been "she biting lines,runaway slave? she want to be black?,etc.". Cant Please The "n*ggas"...
You a female or a homos3xual?
 6 years ago '07        #9
Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,599 | Props total: 910 910
man, after reading her explanation, I gotta say the line was wack as fu*k.
 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM         #10
drumgangP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Fresh my bi*ch been listening to Iggy for a year. And for a year I been dreading riding places with her. but hey
 6 years ago '11        #11
UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209 OP
space
space
$7,295 | Props total: 1071 1071
Black people that co sign this are the same idiots that co sign a skinny a.ss white girl from oakland calling them n*ggas....fu*k this idiotic bi*ch....just because another rapper talks about this doesnt mean she has to go bite it and it wasn't even a good line....tire marks? runaway slave master? horrible use of lyrics

damn shame tip co signs this bi*ch
 6 years ago '07        #12
Bruce Leeroy 
space
space
$16,662 | Props total: 813 813
 Kingpin 313 said:
 6 years ago '05        #13
Fresh|B 976 heat pts976
space
space
 Kingpin 313 said:
...Same Thing I Wanna Know When You Throw On The Shady Vest and Get To Throwing Down For Eminem On Here

drumgangP said:
Fresh my bi*ch been listening to Iggy for a year. And for a year I been dreading riding places with her. but hey
...A Year? I Dunno About All That. All She Had Was Freestyles Back Then Till Pu$$y Track Dropped Then The Mixtape.

Yo Girl Got You Trapped In The Car Listening To That Bob Dylan Bullsh*t Track,I'll Pray For You Homie.
 6 years ago '04        #14
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
space
$16,209 | Props total: 2107 2107
I dont know any racist that surround themselves with...do music created by or date the color in which they hate.....is she a racist? NO...was that some careless insensitive sh*t to say?.....yep. Hopefully she learns from this....cuz I think she is a good artist and has a chance to blow up huge.
 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM         #15
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I want to like Iggy Azelea but

I'd rather fu*k with Azealia

[video - click to view]

03-12-2012, 06:14 PM         #16
Michael_Moore 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Boy Wonder said:

Kingpin 313 said:
 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM         #17
Michael_Moore 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 urbangatsby said:
Black people that co sign this are the same idiots that co sign a skinny a.ss white girl from oakland calling them n*ggas....fu*k this idiotic bi*ch....just because another rapper talks about this doesnt mean she has to go bite it and it wasn't even a good line....tire marks? runaway slave master? horrible use of lyrics

damn shame tip co signs this bi*ch
 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM         #18
ThisUsernameSux 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
just drop out of the game and do pr0n already
 6 years ago '10        #19
jmheight1 42 heat pts42
space
space
$6,282 | Props total: 7623 7623
Thank you for making it worse. You have to be dumb as fu*k to side with her now on this topic, with this bullsh*t explanation.
 6 years ago '05        #20
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2623 2623
damn n*ggas went from cosigning a group called "White girl mob" to allowing this same "White girl mob" to say the N word now n*ggas is co-signing a bi*ch that said she's a runaway slave master

whats next?

[pic - click to view]

you lames
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
113 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
52 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
270 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
70 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
48 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 12 - Alien Spacecraft Discovered? Scientists believe so
28 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
11 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
77 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy