All Things Stock Market Thread

most viewed right now
 88
Image(s) inside Melina Can Do the Splits on This D1ck
72 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 52
Image(s) inside Drake tattoos portrait of Sade on his ribs and a bottle of cologne ..
169 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 48
Image(s) inside Hallie Jade Mathers
74 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 42
Image(s) inside JIM JONES continues to SH!T on CAMRON!! says KILLA is rockin a fake CU..
70 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

 3 years ago '12        #1941
slickbak 
space
avatar space
space
$859 | Props total: 230 230
I've read a lot of stock market books, and the old fundamental/technical strategies are failing me.

Can someone recommend books that explain why, stocks that have negative earnings, poor fundamentals, razor thin margins, and almost no news reports are making huge gains? The Dow seems to be rising on hopes and dreams, and I want some solid strategies that will allow me to make huge gains in such a market.


Last edited by slickbak; 11-15-2013 at 10:19 AM..
 11-15-2013, 02:46 PM         #1942
Robby Digital 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wft happened to PHOT?









...Should i double down?
 3 years ago '12        #1943
slickbak 
space
avatar space
space
$859 | Props total: 230 230
 o7media said:
You should be selling calls if you own the stock. It's free money.
How are option calls taxed, I heard that brokers don't send 1099s for it, so when you say free money, are you saying you don't pay income taxes.
 3 years ago '05        #1944
CornSlice 
space
avatar space
space
$190 | Props total: 39 39
 o7media said:
You should be selling calls if you own the stock. It's free money.
I only recently started buying stocks, so not sure what calls are but it sounds good aha. So if you own shares you can sell calls??

And are calls part of a share or do you still own it?
 3 years ago '09        #1945
michaeluncc 
space
avatar space
space
$60 | Props total: 4 4
What about the Blackberry? Worth buying. Or are they done?
 3 years ago '12        #1946
slickbak 
space
avatar space
space
$859 | Props total: 230 230
 CornSlice said:
I only recently started buying stocks, so not sure what calls are but it sounds good aha. So if you own shares you can sell calls??

And are calls part of a share or do you still own it?
Here is an explanation from tradeking explaining the benefits and risks.

 3 years ago '05        #1947
CornSlice 
space
avatar space
space
$190 | Props total: 39 39
 slickbak said:
Here is an explanation from tradeking explaining the benefits and risks.

Thanks for the info, will definitely give this a read.
 3 years ago '08        #1948
o7media 37 heat pts37
space
avatar space
space
$27,195 | Props total: 5402 5402
 slickbak said:
How are option calls taxed, I heard that brokers don't send 1099s for it, so when you say free money, are you saying you don't pay income taxes.
lol no you still pay taxes, i meant free money as in easy money. if you own shares of a company you can sell call options at no risk as they're covered.

for example, if you own 1,000 shares of a company you can sell 10 call options every week/month depending on if they have weekly options or not. you sell out of the money call options and simply let them expire worthless to collect the premium.

worst case scenario is you get exercised on the option if it rallies and goes ITM. but you would still make money since you own the stock at a lower price, plus you get to keep the premium.
 3 years ago '12        #1949
slickbak 
space
avatar space
space
$859 | Props total: 230 230
 o7media said:
lol no you still pay taxes, i meant free money as in easy money. if you own shares of a company you can sell call options at no risk as they're covered.

for example, if you own 1,000 shares of a company you can sell 10 call options every week/month depending on if they have weekly options or not. you sell out of the money call options and simply let them expire worthless to collect the premium.

worst case scenario is you get exercised on the option if it rallies and goes ITM. but you would still make money since you own the stock at a lower price, plus you get to keep the premium.
Thanks for the clarification, guess I was fooling myself on that one.

See if you can explain this to me, plz, im not understanding this picture.


[pic - click to view]



Right now Ive been holding xrx @ 10.08. I will sell a call. So lets say i'm holding 100 shares of xrx, I would sell a 1 contract XRX December 21 12$ covered calls and would be credited 0.06c (average) *100 shares = 6 dollars? minus commissions = ?

What going on.


Last edited by slickbak; 11-19-2013 at 04:43 PM..
 3 years ago '08        #1950
o7media 37 heat pts37
space
avatar space
space
$27,195 | Props total: 5402 5402
 slickbak said:
Thanks for the clarification, guess I was fooling myself on that one.

See if you can explain this to me, plz, im not understanding this picture.


[pic - click to view]



Right now Ive been holding xrx @ 10.08. I will sell a call. So lets say i'm holding 100 shares of xrx, I would sell a 1 contract XRX December 21 12$ covered calls and would be credited 0.06c (average) *100 shares = 6 dollars? minus commissions = ?

What going on.
That's correct. You would sell 1 contract at .06 and collect $6 not including fees... most likely you would lose money once the fees are included.

XRX isn't the best stock to sell options on since the calls are so cheap. Plus, you won't make much because you're only selling 1 contract.

It wouldn't make sense to sell them if you only had 100 shares of the stock. But if you had 10,000 shares it would. You could sell 100 contracts at .06 and collect $600.

You could also sell a later expiration like the April 2014 $12 calls which are trading at .40 right now. Obviously you would still need more than 100 shares to make it worth while. But say you had 10,000 shares of XRX then you could sell 100 contracts at .40 and collect $4,000 in premium.


XRX isn't a very volatile stock so the options don't have a lot of premium. This strategy works better with stocks that have some volatility and also have weekly options.


Last edited by o7media; 11-19-2013 at 05:46 PM..
 3 years ago '12        #1951
slickbak 
space
avatar space
space
$859 | Props total: 230 230
 o7media said:
That's correct. You would sell 1 contract at .06 and collect $6 not including fees... most likely you would lose money once the fees are included.

XRX isn't the best stock to sell options on since the calls are so cheap. Plus, you won't make much because you're only selling 1 contract.

It wouldn't make sense to sell them if you only had 100 shares of the stock. But if you had 10,000 shares it would. You could sell 100 contracts at .06 and collect $600.

You could also sell a later expiration like the April 2014 $12 calls which are trading at .40 right now. Obviously you would still need more than 100 shares to make it worth while. But say you had 10,000 shares of XRX then you could sell 100 contracts at .40 and collect $4,000 in premium.


XRX isn't a very volatile stock so the options don't have a lot of premium. This strategy works better with stocks that have some volatility and also have weekly options.
Thanks alot for your help, I think I've got the concept down, Ill be trying a few calls today and see what happen.s
 3 years ago '06        #1952
Rique 53 heat pts53 OP
space
avatar space
space
$37,181 | Props total: 11207 11207
 AiRDoGG923 said:
Can I buy mutual funds just like stocks? I don't see a minimum amount I have to buy, am I correct that there is none?
pick up that GTLLX man
 3 years ago '12        #1953
slickbak 
space
avatar space
space
$859 | Props total: 230 230
Holding Document security systems, regret not buying more shares.
Would have been set for christmas.
I'm thinking of putting all my eggs in this basket, tell me what you guys think of this stock.
 3 years ago '06        #1954
philly337 18 heat pts18
space
avatar space
space
$26,741 | Props total: 4996 4996
 slickbak said:
Holding Document security systems, regret not buying more shares.
Would have been set for christmas.
I'm thinking of putting all my eggs in this basket, tell me what you guys think of this stock.
def wouldn't go all in...overbought right now and coming up on 200ma...i think it will meet resistance at 200ma and pull back and find support (or fall through)...if it tests resistance and breaks through the 20 day moving average then i'd say buy
 3 years ago '12        #1955
slickbak 
space
avatar space
space
$859 | Props total: 230 230
 philly337 said:
def wouldn't go all in...overbought right now and coming up on 200ma...i think it will meet resistance at 200ma and pull back and find support (or fall through)...if it tests resistance and breaks through the 20 day moving average then i'd say buy
I didn't read your post and bought another 1000 shares this morning on news about apple lawsuit and its up another 20%. I would have sold an hour after I bought, but I'm trading with unsettled funds. Your definitely right that its overbought, but I am praying that price holds till Monday morning.

edit: just realized markets closed early today, while trying to buy some stock.


Last edited by slickbak; 11-29-2013 at 11:06 AM..
 3 years ago '09        #1956
rexplosive 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$924 | Props total: 126 126
Some really good advice and lessons in this topic, wish it was a bit more active though

Is there any other financial forums out there a bit more active?

Currently own DDD and ONVO only, hoping 3D printing keeps growing forever
 3 years ago '08        #1957
o7media 37 heat pts37
space
avatar space
space
$27,195 | Props total: 5402 5402
 rexplosive said:
Some really good advice and lessons in this topic, wish it was a bit more active though

Is there any other financial forums out there a bit more active?

Currently own DDD and ONVO only, hoping 3D printing keeps growing forever
Most forums/sites are full of noise and you're better off not following them. Check out StockTwits.com and follow select traders.. same goes for Twitter.
 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM         #1958
BakLykILefSmthn 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
also get at hold that for his wisdom in the market
 3 years ago '10        #1959
Ambassador 444 heat pts444
space
space
space
$18,651 | Props total: 2 2
 BakLykILefSmthn said:
also get at hold that for his wisdom in the market
 12-04-2013, 01:14 AM         #1960
Ziggy33 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
MSIG and VPCO!! Check em out of up wanta get into something cheap and on the come-up!
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 33
Image(s) inside Husband Supports Wife In Court After She Fu€Ks 14yr Old Numerous Times..
79 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 24
Image(s) inside No one offered him a seat... Picture says a thousand words.
156 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 17
Women You Want To fu-k and ain't Ashamed To Tell People
374 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 13
Image(s) inside Smash or Pass Ex-PoЯnstar Sophia Fiore?...
88 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 11
Article inside Apple’s newest struggle iPad will come with a slimmer name, and a low..
21 comments
22 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
 11
Video inside Dave Chapelle On Jimmy Kimmel 3/21/17 (Full Interview)
17 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 9
Dave is back! Netflix now
246 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 6
Video inside Cyhi The Prynce New Freestyle Going for the Crown
70 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy