All Things Stock Market Thread

most viewed right now
 122
Article inside The Toronto Star and Local Police going after Drake for the "company ..
55 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 87
Image(s) inside Alien visit earth post pictures on 4chan
90 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 86
bx hoh member calls his wife fat - she loses 100 pounds
53 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 76
NBA Melo, George recruiting Wade to Thunder: 'You know where you belong“
44 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM         #321
Real Hustler 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
does a negative P/E or EPS mean anything bad?
 04-08-2012, 05:23 PM         #322
diplo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is my question for all the investors in this thread:

Inflation is on the rise and the devaluation of the dollar makes me hesitant to throw any money at the market.

Even with a potential to make money when the market is at it's peak right now, won't we all lose out on gains due to this devaluation?

I'm thinking about allocating my funds to another currency depending on the success of that foreign economy, but there lies the risk of that currency following the same suit of the dollar if the successes/failures of the US economy influence it.

I'm also thinking about investing in a foreign market (take Samsung for example [not Samsung Electronics], only traded on the Korean market/British market), but US brokers charge an arm and a leg for foreign transactions.


Last edited by diplo; 04-08-2012 at 05:27 PM..
 5 years ago '08        #323
o7media 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$28,864 | Props total: 7473 7473
 diplo said:
This is my question for all the investors in this thread:

Inflation is on the rise and the devaluation of the dollar makes me hesitant to throw any money at the market.

Even with a potential to make money when the market is at it's peak right now, won't we all lose out on gains due to this devaluation?

I'm thinking about allocating my funds to another currency depending on the success of that foreign economy, but there lies the risk of that currency following the same suit of the dollar if the successes/failures of the US economy influence it.

I'm also thinking about investing in a foreign market (take Samsung for example [not Samsung Electronics], only traded on the Korean market/British market), but US brokers charge an arm and a leg for foreign transactions.

Well, IMO the markets are very overvalued. We're nearing all time highs yet the economy is not at all what it was in the late 90's when the markets were at these levels.

And inflation isn't as bad as most people think. But, I do think we'll see a period of deflation soon in which the USD will gain value and commodities will lose value (especially Gold).

As far as investing in foreign markets, be very careful. At the moment the U.S. has the strongest outlook IMO. Australia is second best. But Asia and Europe are bad investments right now. Europe is obviously in a recession and countries like China and Japan have warned of soft patches in their economy and slower growth coming. However the U.S. is actually bouncing back a bit, and Australia so far has been doing well.
 5 years ago '08        #324
o7media 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$28,864 | Props total: 7473 7473
 Real Hustler said:
does a negative P/E or EPS mean anything bad?
I've never seen a negative P/E but negative EPS is bad...means they're losing money. Really depends on what the estimates are though, because they can be losing money but losing less compared to their prior quarters in which case it did better than expected.
 5 years ago '08        #325
o7media 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$28,864 | Props total: 7473 7473
 Universal Mind said:
Commodities are already dropping. I was trading Cocoa a month ago at around 2450, and Cocoa was down to nearly 2100 last time I checked...which wasn't that long ago. Orange Juice also dropped from 190 to 160.
Well they're going to keep dropping is what I mean. And the markets are simply lagging. I may not be right on that crash coming, but hopefully at least a correction in the markets is coming.
 5 years ago '06        #326
Rique 56 heat pts56 OP
space
avatar space
space
$39,574 | Props total: 16422 16422
Lets see what happens tomorrow everyone sounds real bearish right now
 04-08-2012, 10:26 PM         #327
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 diplo said:
Inflation is on the rise and the devaluation of the dollar makes me hesitant to throw any money at the market.

Even with a potential to make money when the market is at it's peak right now, won't we all lose out on gains due to this devaluation?
So inflation is scaring you from investing in the market?

I think letting your money sit is WAY riskier. Inflation will eat that sh*t right up.

Read a book. Invest wisely. And watch your capital grow. :dancingcool:
 5 years ago '08        #328
o7media 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$28,864 | Props total: 7473 7473
 o7media said:
Big big big miss on the jobs data this morning. wow

I haven't bought the GLD puts yet, but the way things are looking right now, the markets will have an ugly month ahead of it. We should come back down to earth some.

Mentioned in my chat that I'm looking for GLD to break down to the $148 level...maybe even lower if it really gets bad.
In GLD May 154x puts at 1.43 ....
 5 years ago '08        #329
o7media 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$28,864 | Props total: 7473 7473
 o7media said:
Sold my PCLN in at 2.20 out at 4.40. Made about $1,100 on that one.
PCLN flying again

Those calls are now at 6.10
 5 years ago '06        #330
Rique 56 heat pts56 OP
space
avatar space
space
$39,574 | Props total: 16422 16422
lol its crazy but my 1 share of priceline is paying off lol

ad APPLE back in the greeeeeen
 5 years ago '06        #331
Rique 56 heat pts56 OP
space
avatar space
space
$39,574 | Props total: 16422 16422
bought some more HZNP today at -.51:dancingcool:
 5 years ago '08        #332
o7media 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$28,864 | Props total: 7473 7473
Volume was dead again. Damn holidays!
 5 years ago '08        #333
o7media 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$28,864 | Props total: 7473 7473
 o7media said:
Big big big miss on the jobs data this morning. wow

I haven't bought the GLD puts yet, but the way things are looking right now, the markets will have an ugly month ahead of it. We should come back down to earth some.

Mentioned in my chat that I'm looking for GLD to break down to the $148 level...maybe even lower if it really gets bad.
Dow down about 250 points so far this week

Finally some volatility coming back!
 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM         #334
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 o7media said:
Dow down about 250 points so far this week

Finally some volatility coming back!
Finally some corrections. The market has been so bullish since December, practically straight up.

I flipped SVU today. Wonderful flip.
 5 years ago '06        #335
Rique 56 heat pts56 OP
space
avatar space
space
$39,574 | Props total: 16422 16422
Yeah we knew a correction was coming
 5 years ago '04        #336
htown 
space
space
space
$2,721 | Props total: 712 712
 o7media said:
My profit on AAPL btw .. $1,001.37

Bought yesterday, sold today. Was up $1,700 yesterday on my LNKD calls but I got greedy and stupid. Now I'm looking at a $700 loss on that position...from a $1,700 gain

Had a good week though, so it's cool. Plus still time for LNKD to get back even or maybe even a profit if I'm lucky.


[pic - click to view]

Can someone explain this to me...I'm also new to stocks. I was under the impression that if a stock is worth a certain amount, you can only buy stocks based on a multiple of that amount...how did you make a 1000 dollar profit if the price only moved by like 3 dollars between those days?
 5 years ago '04        #337
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
avatar space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 845 845
 htown said:
Can someone explain this to me...I'm also new to stocks. I was under the impression that if a stock is worth a certain amount, you can only buy stocks based on a multiple of that amount...how did you make a 1000 dollar profit if the price only moved by like 3 dollars between those days?
that is a options trade. Five 100 share contracts bought at the time for $1.75 per 100. So 5 x (1.75 x 100). Same calculation for selling the position.


Last edited by hockeythug; 04-11-2012 at 01:02 AM..
 04-11-2012, 02:32 AM         #338
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
Yeah we knew a correction was coming
 5 years ago '08        #339
o7media 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$28,864 | Props total: 7473 7473
 htown said:
Can someone explain this to me...I'm also new to stocks. I was under the impression that if a stock is worth a certain amount, you can only buy stocks based on a multiple of that amount...how did you make a 1000 dollar profit if the price only moved by like 3 dollars between those days?
 hockeythug said:
that is a options trade. Five 100 share contracts bought at the time for $1.75 per 100. So 5 x (1.75 x 100). Same calculation for selling the position.
Yeah it's an options trade, not stock trade. I didn't buy AAPL shares, I bought AAPL calls. Options are much more volatile than the actual stock (more risk, more reward).

An option consists of 100 shares of the underlying equity. So 1 contract at $1.75 is actually $175 per contract ($1.75 x 100 shares = $175.00). I had 5 contracts at $1.75 = $875 total investment (plus fees).

AAPL's stock actually gained about $15 the day after I bought, so the options gained quite a bit.
 5 years ago '06        #340
Rique 56 heat pts56 OP
space
avatar space
space
$39,574 | Props total: 16422 16422
Everything lookin great premarket hopefully my bets yesterday pay off
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 31
Stevie J's latest 𝔅uild-Ǻ-Bit©h
67 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 31
Image(s) inside The Lox or Migos
119 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 25
Image(s) inside Sep 24 - Sir Jigga launches private airline
73 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 8
Video inside I wanna bury my face in this rappers @ss
127 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 8
Video inside 'Who Shot Biggie & Tupac' on FoX Right NOW!!!!! *******NEW INFO RE..
124 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 7
This nigga make Desiigner look like Socrates
102 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 6
NFL Derek Wolfe: "If you don’t think America is greatest country, why do you s..
553 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 5
Image(s) inside I see riri ima eat it like panini
46 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy