All Things Stock Market Thread

most viewed right now
 158
New INFO on the taxstone connection.. (video proof, self snitching on twitter)..
172 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 82
Image(s) inside Jan 16 - breaking: Cnn to release new trump tape 48 hours before inaug..
215 comments
@news
most viewed right now
 81
Video inside Yung Mazi shooter on camera (waffle House footage)
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 75
Article inside This is why TAX STONE indictment will include MURDER
300 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

 03-30-2012, 06:52 PM         #241
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Looking to load up on $CBLI Monday. :dancingcool:
 03-30-2012, 08:00 PM         #242
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm starting to figure out how to short stocks..

Media do you short often?
 5 years ago '08        #243
o7media 34 heat pts34
space
avatar space
space
$26,388 | Props total: 4551 4551
 TiPZ said:
I'm starting to figure out how to short stocks..

Media do you short often?
I never short, if I'm bearish on a stock I'll buy put options. But I don't short the actual stock.

Since you guys like to short though... ARNA looks like it's setting up for a horrible April
 5 years ago '06        #244
Rique 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$35,948 | Props total: 8995 8995
I might get out of my position in apple take the gains then buy again when it goes to 580
 03-31-2012, 01:15 AM         #245
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 o7media said:
I never short, if I'm bearish on a stock I'll buy put options. But I don't short the actual stock.

Since you guys like to short though... ARNA looks like it's setting up for a horrible April
I know this is noooobbish..

But what is the intrinsic difference between buying puts and shorting the stock?

I know theres way more money in options.. but why is that? I want to eventually trade options instead of stocks.. but i still don't understand that easy concept.


Last edited by TiPZ; 03-31-2012 at 01:19 AM..
 03-31-2012, 01:21 AM         #246
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
I might get out of my position in apple take the gains then buy again when it goes to 580
That $580 is a do or die price..

Instead of just buying when it hits $580, wait, and see how it reacts to that price.. a break below $580 would mean price rotates to $550. Which would be a devastating loss if you bought shares at $580.
 5 years ago '08        #247
o7media 34 heat pts34
space
avatar space
space
$26,388 | Props total: 4551 4551
 TiPZ said:
I know this is noooobbish..

But what is the intrinsic difference between buying puts and shorting the stock?

I know theres way more money in options.. but why is that? I want to eventually trade options instead of stocks.. but i still don't understand that easy concept.
The reason there's more money in buying options is because you're going up in price with options.

The problem with shorting is that the stock only has so much value that you can take away from it. If a stock is at $50 and you short there then it can only lose a maximum of $50. And realistically even that's not possible even if it goes bankrupt it won't go to $0.

You can't gain more than 100% by shorting a stock. But when you're going up in price you can because it can more than double. If you go long a stock at $50 it can go past $100.

With options they're much more volatile because of the time value for one, but also the intrinsic value. There is no 'intrinsic' value when you go long/short on a stock.

But shorting IMO is the worst way to go. Not only does it minimize your potential gain but it also maximizes your risk. When you short a stock there's an unlimited amount of risk if the stock soars after you short. Unlike options, you can only lose your investment (maximum). If you invest $500 in options that is your maximum loss. But if you short you can lose a lot more.

That's why I never short, it's really the worst way to go IMO
 5 years ago '09        #248
Pstax916 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,279 | Props total: 0 0
i started the Yahoo! fantasy finance to get my feet wet. Im tryna get my money up
 5 years ago '06        #249
Rique 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$35,948 | Props total: 8995 8995
 Pstax916 said:
i started the Yahoo! fantasy finance to get my feet wet. Im tryna get my money up
good luck
 04-01-2012, 11:17 PM         #250
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 o7media said:
The reason there's more money in buying options is because you're going up in price with options.

The problem with shorting is that the stock only has so much value that you can take away from it. If a stock is at $50 and you short there then it can only lose a maximum of $50. And realistically even that's not possible even if it goes bankrupt it won't go to $0.

You can't gain more than 100% by shorting a stock. But when you're going up in price you can because it can more than double. If you go long a stock at $50 it can go past $100.

With options they're much more volatile because of the time value for one, but also the intrinsic value. There is no 'intrinsic' value when you go long/short on a stock.

But shorting IMO is the worst way to go. Not only does it minimize your potential gain but it also maximizes your risk. When you short a stock there's an unlimited amount of risk if the stock soars after you short. Unlike options, you can only lose your investment (maximum). If you invest $500 in options that is your maximum loss. But if you short you can lose a lot more.

That's why I never short, it's really the worst way to go IMO
:thx:
 5 years ago '04        #251
BowL420 
space
avatar space
space
$1,112 | Props total: 0 0
you're positions today??
 5 years ago '06        #252
Rique 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$35,948 | Props total: 8995 8995
Ainv my babyyyy
 5 years ago '06        #253
Rique 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$35,948 | Props total: 8995 8995
APPLE finally having a good day all is well in the world time to make so more money
 5 years ago '06        #254
Rique 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$35,948 | Props total: 8995 8995
Apple up over 2.2% lets see if it can keep pushing.
 5 years ago '06        #255
Rique 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$35,948 | Props total: 8995 8995
Now watching $HZNP
 5 years ago '08        #256
o7media 34 heat pts34
space
avatar space
space
$26,388 | Props total: 4551 4551
God damn the volume was dead today. One of the lowest days in a long time. I lost a few hundred on AAPL puts :(

But my OVTI was k!llin it.
 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM         #257
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
APPLE finally having a good day all is well in the world time to make so more money
Yeah, bounced off that psychological $600 level with ease, monster move.

Is $AAPL almost done with its mark up stage? Is distribution occurring? Who knows. Too early to say.. but we've been facilitating between $580-620 for the past couple weeks.


[pic - click to view]

 5 years ago '06        #258
Rique 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$35,948 | Props total: 8995 8995
Time to see if apple has what it takes to go over 650
 04-02-2012, 07:27 PM         #259
TiPZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
Time to see if apple has what it takes to go over 650
You mean $620?
 5 years ago '06        #260
Rique 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$35,948 | Props total: 8995 8995
 TiPZ said:
You mean $620?
Nope i mean 650. Its at 625 now:)
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 66
Video inside Overused Lines In Hip-Hop You Don't Want To Hear Anymore...
102 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 26
Is OJ Innocent: The Missing Evidence
62 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 26
Jan 16 - 10 Things You May Not Know About Martin Luther King Jr
117 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 24
NFL Russell Wilson wants you to know he loves his wife, after losing to Future..
161 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 22
Image(s) inside Can We Talk For A Minute? brennaraina
38 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 17
Image(s) inside 5 Child Stars You Didn't Know Died
79 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 15
What's the Hardest Boss Battle Ever???
96 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
 13
Video inside Jim Jones Says He's Going To Put Hands On Ben Baller & Baller Replies "..
111 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy