Mar 4 - Nasa confirms a 200 ft asteroid might hit earth within 11 months

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
26 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
230 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
108 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
162 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-04-2012, 10:16 AM         #1
8471 pageviews
75 comments

DoubleD 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Mar 4 - Nasa confirms a 200 ft asteroid might hit earth within 11 months

[pic - click to view]

Blast it or paint it: Asteroid to threaten Earth in 2013 — RT

o avert a new apocalypse – this time set for February 2013 – scientists suggest confronting asteroid 2012 DA14 with either paint, or big guns. The tough part of either scheme is that time has long run out to build a spaceship for any operation.

*NASA confirms the 60-meter (197-feet) asteroid, spotted by Spanish stargazers in February, has a good chance of colliding with Earth in eleven months.

The rock's closest approach to the planet is scheduled for February 15, 2013, when the distance between the planet and space wanderer will be under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is lower than the geosynchronous orbit kept by the Google Maps satellite.
*Fireworks and watercolors

With the asteroid zooming that low, it will be too late to do anything with it besides trying to predict its final destination and the consequences of impact.

A spaceship is needed, experts agree. It could shoot the rock down or just crash into it, either breaking the asteroid into debris or throwing it off course.

“We could paint it,” says NASA expert David Dunham.

Paint would affect the asteroid’s ability to reflect sunlight, changing its temperature and altering its spin. The asteroid would stalk off its current course, but this could also make the boulder even more dangerous when it comes back in 2056, Aleksandr Devaytkin, the head of the observatory in Russia’s Pulkovo, told Izvestia.
*Spaceship impossible?

Whatever the mission, building a spaceship to deal with 2012 DA14 will take two years – at least.

The asteroid has proven a bitter discovery. It has been circling in orbit for three years already, crossing Earth’s path several times, says space analyst Sergey Naroenkov from the Russian Academy of Sciences. It seems that spotting danger from outer space is still the area where mere chance reigns, while asteroid defense systems exist only in drafts.

Still, prospects of meeting 2012 DA14 are not all doom and gloom.

“The asteroid may split into pieces entering the atmosphere. In this case, most part of it will never reach the planet’s surface,” remarks Dunham.

But if the entire asteroid is to crash into the planet, the impact will be as hard as in the Tunguska blast, which in 1908 knocked down trees over a total area of 2,150 sq km (830 sq miles) in Siberia. This is almost the size of Luxembourg. In today’s case, the destination of the asteroid is yet to be determined.

75 comments for "Mar 4 - Nasa confirms a 200 ft asteroid might hit earth within 11 months"

6 years ago '05        #2
Freemind 41 heat pts41
space
space
$8,870 | Props total: 4 4
Would be cool if there was another Tunguska blast, though they still aren't sure if a asteroid caused it.

As long as it don't hit over a populated area. Would be interesting to watch, cause you know everyone will have their cameras fixed to the sky
 6 years ago '08        #3
Future 44 heat pts44
space
space
$34,246 | Props total: 1276 1276
We're gonna be all dead on December 21 so who fu*kin cares.....
 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM         #4
Chopzilla  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Future said:
We're gonna be all dead on December 21 so who fu*kin cares.....

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '06        #5
Special Edd 167 heat pts167
space
space
$26,589 | Props total: 8764 8764
Oh really nasa so you not going to go handle that?
 6 years ago '05        #6
Freemind 41 heat pts41
space
space
 Special Edd said:
Oh really nasa so you not going to go handle that?
NASA barely has any funding thanks to Obama
 6 years ago '06        #7
G2MC 35 heat pts35
space
space
$3,380 | Props total: 989 989
Finally, I can go out in a blaze of glory.
 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM         #8
Web Search  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hope it hits D.C.
 6 years ago '08        #9
DooM 66 heat pts66
space
space
$27,998 | Props total: 19885 19885
200 ft? breaking up in the atmosphere to about maybe half the size, maybe more, we'll be fine.
 6 years ago '04        #10
ATLDOPEBOI30 73 heat pts73
space
space
$32,442 | Props total: 6036 6036
200 ft
 6 years ago '04        #11
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,663 | Props total: 515 515
Man this astroid isn't to be feared. 200 feet? It's 2/3rds the size of a football field. Hopefully this ends up in an ocean or on an uninhabited mass of land. And with how small it is, like the article says, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up breaking up by the time it enters the atmosphere. We'll be fine.
 6 years ago '05        #12
Freemind 41 heat pts41
space
space
 e G o Maniac said:
Man this astroid isn't to be feared. 200 feet? It's 2/3rds the size of a football field. Hopefully this ends up in an ocean or on an uninhabited mass of land. And with how small it is, like the article says, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up breaking up by the time it enters the atmosphere. We'll be fine.
If it breaks up we're fine.

But if its anything like the Tunguska blast then there's some fear to be had.

That blast back in 1908 caused a 600+ sq mile area of forest to be leveled, or about 1000 x's strong than the Nagasaki bomb we detonated... or 1/3rd the size of the Tsar bomb, the biggest nuke ever detonated (interesting fact the Tsar bomb was twice as strong before they decided to scale it back a bit before detonation)... now imagine that happening over NY or LA or something.

But... like the article said... if it breaks up we're fine. Id just be worried about it not breaking up

Last edited by Freemind; 03-04-2012 at 02:27 PM..
 6 years ago '09        #13
ImAMonster 407 heat pts407
space
space
$37,391 | Props total: 10494 10494
Asteroids are always "Close to impact" . I'm sorry but 17,000 miles isn't exactly close :/...They make this sh*t sound like it's going to be right over our heads and sh*t. Nothing is going to happen. Ain't sh*t happening on december 21st, either. :/ I swear you people will believe anything you're told....
 6 years ago '05        #14
bullack86 34 heat pts34
space
space
$2,300 | Props total: 128 128
 Freemind said:
If it breaks up we're fine.

But if its anything like the Tunguska blast then there's some fear to be had.

That blast back in 1908 caused a 600+ sq mile area of forest to be leveled, or about 1000 x's strong than the Nagasaki bomb we detonated... or 1/3rd the size of the Tsar bomb, the biggest nuke ever detonated (interesting fact the Tsar bomb was twice as strong before they decided to scale it back a bit before detonation)... now imagine that happening over NY or LA or something.

But... like the article said... if it breaks up we're fine. Id just be worried about it not breaking up
First, your statement about Nasa being fundless is completely and utterly wrong. Moving along.

Secondly, you stated that the T blast was about "1000x the strength of Nagasaki's atomic detonation yield" then said that "1/3rd the size of the Tsar bomb".. Tell me something. What's wrong with this statement? Don't answer it. I will. They collide simply because an explosion with the yield of a 1/3rd of the Tsar would NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM equal to 1000x Fat Man or Littly Boy.

Also, the T blast leveled over 830 sq. miles.

Be factual, please people.
 6 years ago '05        #15
bullack86 34 heat pts34
space
space
$2,300 | Props total: 128 128
 ImAMonster said:
Asteroids are always "Close to impact" . I'm sorry but 17,000 miles isn't exactly close :/...They make this sh*t sound like it's going to be right over our heads and sh*t. Nothing is going to happen. Ain't sh*t happening on december 21st, either. :/ I swear you people will believe anything you're told....
My brother, I respect your mind and thoughts on here most of the time and I'm with you this time UNTIL the portion about DEC 21. You're correct, per se, but I feel like there's a transformation of consciousness or something unusual occurring, but nothing cataclysmic like most folks believe in AMERICA(in other countries, they haven't bought this sh*t into their brains lol).
 6 years ago '06        #16
Bama Boy 100 heat pts100
space
space
space
$57,461 | Props total: 14701 14701
 Freemind said:
NASA barely has any funding thanks to Obama
yea a 19 billion dollar budget is "barely" any funding. stfu i swear to god u f*ggots bi*ch and cry because "he spends too much", then turn right around and bi*ch and cry because "he isnt spending enough." go play in traffic.
 6 years ago '07        #17
Grave 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,788 | Props total: 200 200
So we've ignored the poor and spent billions to find out this kind of sh*t? Lmao. False religion tells you "you will go to hell" while scientist tell you "an asteroid will k!ll you". There is a huge deception, please wake up.
 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM         #18
ThatHustle  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ImAMonster said:
I'm sorry but 17,000 miles isn't exactly close :/...
wow, i'm sorry sir but 17,000 miles in space is extremely close...
 6 years ago '07        #19
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,403 | Props total: 2524 2524

[pic - click to view]

We got this...
 6 years ago '04        #20
xxxboboxxx 2 heat pts
space
space
$335 | Props total: 0 0
 Optimus Crime said:

[pic - click to view]

We got this...
lmao u beat me to it !!
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
60 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
21 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
19 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Azealia Banks Disses Remy Ma “You Are Not Important to Rap, Who Lied to You”
102 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Report: Rival executives believe Rockets are legitimate threat to sign LeB..
64 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact – and familie..
102 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside Rick Ross’ Longtime Manager Black Bo Has Died
48 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy