New Metric Adjusts for Shot Selection (LeBron/Kobe Comparison)

most viewed right now
 140
Image(s) inside Nicki Minaj disses Pusha on IG
181 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 106
Image(s) inside Smashing With The House Arrest Bracelet On 🤷🏾*♂&..
38 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 84
Drake- Iím Upset
376 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 81
Gillie The Kid Goes Off Talking Bout Pusha T. Vs Drake, & Quentin Miller
78 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 6 years ago '07        #101
Cambury 39 heat pts39
space
avatar space
space
$38,405 | Props total: 10379 10379
 philly337 said:
woooowww

So 40% is no different then 50% because its only a one shot difference for every 10 taken

You over there trying to spit about history and can't even comprehend how much of a difference 2% is in the game of basketball let alone 4-5%

I'm out for the day..stupidity at an all time high
You obviously haven't kept up with the conversation, it all lead to this point. Go back and read to understand the difference between lebron and Kobe and why percentages mean nothing.
 6 years ago '07        #102
joshdogg26 194 heat pts194 OP
space
avatar space
space
$35,270 | Props total: 14887 14887
 Cambury said:
you dodge with the best of them...how many MAKES per game is the difference between 44% and 48%.

How many fastbreak points does James and Kobe avg?

You have have unsuccessfully tried to change topic my last 4 posts.
i haven't changed sh*t, u've unsuccessfully tried to derail my thread with evey post u've made.

how many MAKES it is depends how many shots ur taking. if u take 20 shots per game, that's 0.8 MAKES or 1.6 POINTS. over time, that adds up to a huge difference. u could not be trying any harder to build a straw man and it's extremely pathetic .

kobe is compared not to lebron, but to the AVERAGE NBA PLAYER based on his exact shot distribution to account for all his tough shots, and now u want to argue about the leage average percentages .

all things equal, a league average player taking 20 shots per game with the same shot selection as lebron would score 131.2 points more than a league average player with the same shot selection as kobe every season. that is why we don't compare them directly to each other. that is why this thread exists.


Last edited by joshdogg26; 03-02-2012 at 12:44 PM..
 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM         #103
SeaJaiye 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the fast break points just means lebron's a better defender than kobe...................

when kobe was younger, he was still putting up this 44% sh*t so idk what kobe fans tryin to prove why cant u admit he's overrated as a scorer, and not efficient at all (sometimes his shots go in, sometime they dont)
 6 years ago '07        #104
Cambury 39 heat pts39
space
avatar space
space
$38,405 | Props total: 10379 10379
 joshdogg26 said:
i haven't changed sh*t, u've unsuccessfully tried to derail my thread with evey post u've made.

how many MAKES it is depends how many shots ur taking. if u take 20 shots per game, that's 0.8 MAKES or 1.6 POINTS. over time, that adds up to a huge difference. u could not be trying any harder to build a straw man and it's extremely pathetic .

kobe is compared not to lebron, but to the AVERAGE NBA PLAYER based on his exact shot distribution to account for all his tough shots, and now u want to argue about the leage average percentages .

all things equal, a league average player taking 20 shots per game with the same shot selection as lebron would score 131.2 points more than a league average player with the same shot selection as kobe every season. that is why we don't compare them directly to each other. that is why this thread exists.
but you already agreed they dont have the same shot selection and its obvious they never could becuz lebron cant shoot as well as him. Stop trying to leave chapters out of the story to prove your point. How many fastbreak points does lebron get a game and how many does Kobe get? You are great at getting statistics, im sure it's at least double what Kobe gets. For his career im sure lebron gets at least .8 to 1.6 more makes on fastbreak points than Kobe. THAT IS HOW YOU TELL THE WHOLE STORY.
 6 years ago '07        #105
joshdogg26 194 heat pts194 OP
space
avatar space
space
$35,270 | Props total: 14887 14887
 Cambury said:
but you already agreed they dont have the same shot selection and its obvious they never could becuz lebron cant shoot as well as him. Stop trying to leave chapters out of the story to prove your point. How many fastbreak points does lebron get a game and how many does Kobe get? You are great at getting statistics, im sure it's at least double what Kobe gets. For his career im sure lebron gets at least .8 to 1.6 more makes on fastbreak points than Kobe. THAT IS HOW YOU TELL THE WHOLE STORY.
do u understand that ur arguing over what the league averages r for their shot distributions?

that isn't an arbitrary number. if lebron takes more shots at the rim, then he is expected to make 62.2% of them, because that is the league average. without any adjustment, lebron shoots 10% better than kobe. this stat holds lebron to a higher standard to punish him for his higher percentage shot selection and reward kobe for his. it actually brings them closer and makes it more fair.

it's saying "don't compare lebron to the 46% that kobe shoots with HIS shot selection, compare lebron to the 48% that anybody would shoot with lebron's shot selection, then do the same for kobe and see how they stack up." it's not fair to say kobe should shoot 56% with the shots he takes. kobe should actually shoot 44% with the shots he takes. clearly ur not getting that.


Last edited by joshdogg26; 03-02-2012 at 12:58 PM..
 6 years ago '11        #106
elvisfreshly 106 heat pts106
space
avatar space
space
$23,252 | Props total: 422 422
Give kobe 2 more inches and 45lbs of muscle and see wut he does with it
 6 years ago '07        #107
joshdogg26 194 heat pts194 OP
space
avatar space
space
$35,270 | Props total: 14887 14887
This is going to upset people:

If you apply Kobe's shot distribution to LeBron's shooting percentages, he would shoot 51.6% (Kobe shoots 46.4%)

If you apply LeBron's shot distribution to Kobe's shooting percentages, he would shoot 51.4% (LeBron shoots 56.9%)




Even if you hypothetically reversed their shot selection and kept their percentages equal, LeBron would still shoot better taking Kobe's shots than Kobe would taking LeBron's.

 6 years ago '09        #108
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$38,272 | Props total: 23999 23999
KD is the best scorer in the nba
 6 years ago '07        #109
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
avatar space
space
$28,334 | Props total: 447 447
 joshdogg26 said:
congrats, you are a dumbass
OK thats perfectly fine with me. I'm the dumbass yet I'm not the one posting all this metric bullsh*t about some guy shooting a basketball

keep going thugh, this is so informative in oh so many ways

tell me, do you take into account the degree to which Lebrons shot is arched? or does he have the same degree as kobe? velocity? enlighten us some more this is so rivoting
 6 years ago '07        #110
joshdogg26 194 heat pts194 OP
space
avatar space
space
$35,270 | Props total: 14887 14887
 keithbm1111 said:
OK thats perfectly fine with me. I'm the dumbass yet I'm not the one posting all this metric bullsh*t about some guy shooting a basketball

keep going thugh, this is so informative in oh so many ways
sorry for being intelligent, didn't mean to lose u with crazy ideas like "shooting percentage" and "shot distribution"
 6 years ago '05        #111
KleinBaller 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,264 | Props total: 2 2
How many rings does Lebron have? 0

You can say the argument is old, but it's the only argument you need until Lebron backs up his unbelievable numbers with a ring. We've seen Lebron put up amazing numbers in the regular season and unbelievable win totals with his teams. We've even seen him put some amazing numbers up in the playoffs. This is not what people doubt. What we doubt is can Lebron win when it counts? Forget numbers, forget stats, forget MVPs. Can you win when it counts?

Whether or not Lebron shoots a better percentage than Kobe or has a better shot selection is all fine and dandy, but Kobe has done the most important thing that Lebron hasn't done and that's win.

Lebron played with Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh last season and still couldn't manage to win a title last year. We'll see if he can change that this year.

Comparing Kobe's FG% to Lebron's and trying to make some point out of it is like comparing Jordan's numbers to Wilt's and trying to make some point benefiting Wilt.

Greatness isn't defined by numbers.
 6 years ago '07        #112
joshdogg26 194 heat pts194 OP
space
avatar space
space
$35,270 | Props total: 14887 14887
 KleinBaller said:
How many rings does Lebron have? 0

You can say the argument is old, but it's the only argument you need until Lebron backs up his unbelievable numbers with a ring. We've seen Lebron put up amazing numbers in the regular season and unbelievable win totals with his teams. We've even seen him put some amazing numbers up in the playoffs. This is not what people doubt. What we doubt is can Lebron win when it counts? Forget numbers, forget stats, forget MVPs. Can you win when it counts?

Whether or not Lebron shoots a better percentage than Kobe or has a better shot selection is all fine and dandy, but Kobe has done the most important thing that Lebron hasn't done and that's win.

Lebron played with Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh last season and still couldn't manage to win a title last year. We'll see if he can change that this year.

Comparing Kobe's FG% to Lebron's and trying to make some point out of it is like comparing Jordan's numbers to Wilt's and trying to make some point benefiting Wilt.

Greatness isn't defined by numbers.
every other thread on BX can be about that, this is about providing an equalizer to an excuse that comes up frequently.
 6 years ago '07        #113
Cambury 39 heat pts39
space
avatar space
space
$38,405 | Props total: 10379 10379
 joshdogg26 said:
do u understand that ur arguing over what the league averages r for their shot distributions?

that isn't an arbitrary number. if lebron takes more shots at the rim, then he is expected to make 62.2% of them, because that is the league average. without any adjustment, lebron shoots 10% better than kobe. this stat holds lebron to a higher standard to punish him for his higher percentage shot selection and reward kobe for his. it actually brings them closer and makes it more fair.

it's saying "don't compare lebron to the 46% that kobe shoots with HIS shot selection, compare lebron to the 48% that anybody would shoot with lebron's shot selection, then do the same for kobe and see how they stack up." it's not fair to say kobe should shoot 56% with the shots he takes. kobe should actually shoot 44% with the shots he takes. clearly ur not getting that.
im sayin there is no number to indicate the difference between well defended shots and just hands up defense, there is no number to indicate how many wide open shots they get and there is no number to indicate the situation of the shots. As the shooting guard it is Kobe's job to take the tougher shots and same for Wade.
 6 years ago '06        #114
omniscience 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$861 | Props total: 261 261
AYO..Joshdogg


Give it up fam..it really is pointless trying to debate with a walkin tub of lard..


[pic - click to view]




I see you fatso..
 6 years ago '07        #115
Cambury 39 heat pts39
space
avatar space
space
$38,405 | Props total: 10379 10379
 joshdogg26 said:
This is going to upset people:

If you apply Kobe's shot distribution to LeBron's shooting percentages, he would shoot 51.6% (Kobe shoots 46.4%)

If you apply LeBron's shot distribution to Kobe's shooting percentages, he would shoot 51.4% (LeBron shoots 56.9%)




Even if you hypothetically reversed their shot selection and kept their percentages equal, LeBron would still shoot better taking Kobe's shots than Kobe would taking LeBron's.

you could say that but reality is lebron would never take the shots Kobe takes so it means nothing. Kobe doesn't even get some of the shots lebron gets including spacing and transition buckets (includes layups and shots) especially when lebron gets all's more than anyone not named Durant and martin.
 6 years ago '07        #116
joshdogg26 194 heat pts194 OP
space
avatar space
space
$35,270 | Props total: 14887 14887
 Cambury said:
im sayin there is no number to indicate the difference between well defended shots and just hands up defense, there is no number to indicate how many wide open shots they get and there is no number to indicate the situation of the shots. As the shooting guard it is Kobe's job to take the tougher shots and same for Wade.
all of that is taken to account by comparing them to league averages. even if u reversed it and lebron took kobe's shot distribution and kobe took lebron's, he still shoots better. lebron shoots better from every area of the court other than 16-23

At Rim: +10.9%

3-9 Feet: +4.8%

10-15 Feet: +0.7%

16-23 Feet: -3.2%

Three: +19.2%

if u want to figure the rest out, then buy an account on synergy
 6 years ago '07        #117
joshdogg26 194 heat pts194 OP
space
avatar space
space
$35,270 | Props total: 14887 14887
 Cambury said:
you could say that but reality is lebron would never take the shots Kobe takes so it means nothing. Kobe doesn't even get some of the shots lebron gets including spacing and transition buckets (includes layups and shots) especially when lebron gets all's more than anyone not named Durant and martin.
if u did everything i just did AND give kobe lebron's significantly better shooting percentage at the rim, he'd still shoot 55.4% which is not as good as bron's 56.9%.
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 45
McDonald's customers suing for $5M over unwanted Quarter Pounder cheese
32 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 37
Video inside BREAKING - Chi Wire: MUBU Krump (The ScoreKeeper) DEAD !
107 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 36
Video inside Man Shot over 20 times outside of Drakes "Pick 6ix" Restaurant in Toron..
97 comments
23 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
 33
Video inside May 26 - Reporter trashes the entire women's movement with fake attack ..
39 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
 31
Image(s) inside They are all tall and thick which is very intimidating
46 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 30
Image(s) inside She is a single young mother of 2 (just turned 19)
91 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 26
Tiffany haddish dirty nails
50 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 26
Article inside Reboot your router
41 comments
18 hours ago
@tech
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy