Mayweather: Pacquiao must leave Arum, take less $ for fight to happen

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
68 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
260 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
76 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM         #1
6451 pageviews
106 comments

space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Mayweather: Pacquiao must leave Arum, take less $ for f!ght to happen

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Floyd: Pacquaio must leave Arum for Manny-Money to happen - New York Boxing Blog - ESPN New York

Floyd: Pacquiao must leave Arum for f!ght to happen

By Michael Woods

He's right there with a many of the glittering talents who've graced the stage of the Apollo Theater in Harlem in the last century. Floyd Mayweather has "it," that charisma which forces people, love him or loathe him, to pay attention to him. Thousands of folks waited outside the theater on Tuesday to gain entrance to see "Money" talk up his May 5 Las Vegas clash with 154 pound champ Miguel Cotto, the Puerto Rican ace who has held crowns in three weight divisions.

Once inside, several hundred fans made their presence felt, noisily, making it hard at times to concentrate on the goings on.

But my mind drifted during the presser anyway. As I heard Mayweather talk about what a stern test Cotto is, and how his lengthy run at the top of the heap comes from his loyalty to hard work, I found myself pondering a f!ght that won't happen on May 5...or maybe at all. The Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao showdown. Of course, I asked the requisite questions, because that's only fair and righteous. It wouldn't be decent to Cotto to act as if he had no shot against Mayweather, and this exercise is merely an appetizer till we get to the main course. But, notwithstanding how Cotto looked on Dec. 3 at MSG against Antonio Margarito, and how it looks like he's had a happy fire lit under him by Cuban trainer Pedro Diaz, I do think he's in over his head on May 5. That's no slam--I think Mayweather handles everyone from 140-160 pounds. He's simply a stunning, stellar pugilist, who I think mastered the shoulder roll in his crib.

The presser got off to a late start--what, you think Mayweather isn't going to make 'em wait, in the grand tradition of the grand attraction?--and we heard ample boos when the spotlight bathed "Money" and his name was announced. Mayweather didn't frown. No, he grinned, fully aware that each and every soul motivated to boo and hiss would also be motivated to purchase the pay-per-view in May.

This f!ght will take place at 154 pounds, and some wonder how Mayweather, maybe better suited for 147, will deal with the physical Puerto Rican. Floyd managed to land a shot at Manny Pacquiao while delving into this matter. "I want to f!ght the best Miguel Cotto," he said. "I don't want to f!ght you at a catch weight." This referred to Pacquiao's occasional tactic of demanding foes weigh under the high-end weight limit for his bouts.

But of course, the topic of Manny Pacquiao came up. Mayweather was asked if he thought a f!ght with the Filipino would go down. He didn't sound optimistic, saying that any talk of a 50-50 revenue split with Manny is a non-starter. He said any talk of him being afraid to f!ght Pacman is nonsense, and offered one avenue to make the road to fruition easier to travel. "The only way I think a f!ght with the guy with three losses and I don't know how many draws, the only way that f!ght happens is he has to leave Bob Arum," he said. "And I'm not telling him to leave, because I know how the media is, they take your words and screw them up. They make it the way they want to make it."

Note: Cotto had been with Bob Arum and Top Rank forever, but jumped ship to Golden Boy when his contract was up the end of 2011. If he was still with Arum, almost certainly this date with Mayweather would not have been realized.

Note 2: Mayweather didn't dispute any specifics in the reports of the last round of negotiations. Pacquiao advisor Michael Koncz a couple weeks ago said he offered a compromise to Mayweather, in the form of a $50 million guarantee to each, and a 55-45 revenue split in PPV monies, with the extra portion going to the winner, and that Floyd turned it down, preferring Pacman simply receive a flat fee, and no slice of the PPV pie.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

http://msn.foxsports.com/ .. -drawer-022812

Mayweather bashes Pacquiao again
NEW YORK (AP)

A trumpet blared a fanfare to introduce Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto as fans at the Apollo Theater cheered the start of Tuesday's news conference to promote their May 5 f!ght in Las Vegas.

Floyd Mayweather is never at a loss for words, either in front of a microphone or on his Twitter account. These are some of Mayweather's "greatest hits:"

Still, there appeared to be far more interest in the f!ght that's not happening - a matchup between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather made clear that whether they meet in the ring is about the money - breaking down the shares in what could be boxing's richest f!ght ever.

''Just by speaking to Pacquiao on the phone, I mean, he's not one of the sharpest knives in the drawer,'' Mayweather said. ''He faces Floyd Mayweather, he's not getting 50-50. Not at all. No one is getting 50-50.''

While Mayweather urged Pacquiao should ''take the test,'' a reference to his demand for random drug testing, payout appears to be the real sore point between Mayweather on one side, and Pacquiao and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum on the other. Arum has said testing is not an issue.

''Bob Arum likes to match Top Rank f!ghters with Top Rank f!ghts. He keeps all the money in house,'' Mayweather said.

This dispute has spilled into federal court. Pacquiao sued Mayweather for defamation in December 2009, alleging Mayweather falsely accused him of using performance-enhancing drugs. Pacquiao spent 12 hours in Las Vegas last week giving depositions in the case.

''If I offered him $30 million, he should be happy,'' Mayweather said. ''If I offered him $30 million and I didn't give money on the back end, why should I? He's with Arum right now, and they're having problems. It's obvious he must not be getting money on the back end.''

Mayweather says he's not ducking Pacquiao, who stopped Cotto in the 12th round of their November 2009 f!ght.

''If I'm scared and I'm a coward, why do you guys want to see me f!ght?'' he said. ''Do I want the Pacquiao f!ght? Absolutely. But it's going to be hard to make the f!ght because Arum is worried about getting money.''

As boxing news conferences go, this was fairly tame. In the second of a series that began Monday in Puerto Rico and end Thursday in Los Angeles, Mayweather and Cotto praised each other and said they respected each other. Video projections proclaimed them ''Ring Kings'' and ''Living Legends.'' They sat in tall chairs of red velvet with lions on the arm rests.

Mayweather was the snazzier, in white jeans, a black turtleneck sweater, sunglasses. There was bling on his left wrist, and the rapper 50 Cent was part of his onstage entourage. Cotto, who got the bigger cheers, was in a black suit, black shirt and striped tie.

Mayweather defended his Feb. 14 tweet, in which he said: ''Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise.''

Mayweather said most of the focus was on the second sentence and the first was largely ignored.

''Do I regret what I said? Absolutely not. I stand by what I said, and I meant what I said,'' Mayweather said.

Cotto, who has stopped all three of his opponents since losing a welterweight title f!ght to Pacquiao, thinks the 154-pound weight limit will favor him over Mayweather, who has boxed at lighter classes.

''Power is going to be on my side,'' Cotto said.

The f!ght, for the WBA super welterweight title, will take place in Las Vegas and will be televised by HBO pay-per-view. HBO plans a four-episode series leading up to the bout, with the first part to air April 14.

Mayweather is to begin a 90-day jail sentence on June 1 stemming from a domestic violence case.

[pic - click to view]

Bonus Video: Pacquiao adviser Koncz details phone call between Mayweather and Pacquiao

[video - click to view]

Mayweather interviews from NY presser

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Last edited by 22k; 02-29-2012 at 05:43 PM..

106 comments for "Mayweather: Pacquiao must leave Arum, take less $ for fight to happen"

02-28-2012, 05:08 PM         #2
22k  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 0ddJoB said:
more circumstances by #moneyteam
Yep, f!ght will never happen unless it is 100% on Mayweather's terms. Holding the fans hostage. Boycott 5/5 and 6/9 PPVs.
 6 years ago '06        #3
Stupid Fresh 183 heat pts183
space
space
$24,234 | Props total: 5038 5038
its official

Bob Arum will never let this f!ght happen now

not like he was going to anyway
 6 years ago '05        #4
I'm The Dan 7 heat pts
space
space
$11,571 | Props total: 148 148
He's just scared to f!ght. He knows Manny will not agree to anything less than 50/50 (and he shouldn't) so Mayweather will not f!ght him.
 6 years ago '04        #5
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,409 | Props total: 3456 3456
OMGz more Pacquiao ducking!!
 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM         #6
HoLLiwood Heyti  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pretty soon he's gonna want brea$t milk from a cambodian immigrant
 6 years ago '04        #7
armstrong boy 
space
space
space
$2,086 | Props total: 631 631
dude is soft n pus*y he really ducking pacquiao 1st is drug tests then its im not going 50/50 whatever dude have jun in jail
 6 years ago '06        #8
fallguy 
space
space
$4,882 | Props total: 1642 1642
arum won't let this f!ght happen
 6 years ago '04        #9
dre03 
space
space
$10,169 | Props total: 2451 2451
 dmarino said:
pac man is ducking..gtfoh..he never even came close to making the $$ he will off this f!ght so take it40/60..wtf is the holdup..tell arum to jump in shark infested waters
Pacquiao's last two f!ghts have generated more money than Mayweather last two f!ghts... Granted the numbers are close but it shows currently Pacqiuao is the bigger draw... What leverage does Floyd have to decline a 50/50 split when Pacquaio?

Don't give me sh*t about past f!ghts that was years ago... Currently the bigger draw in boxing is not Floyd... The f!ght should be 50/50
 02-28-2012, 06:12 PM         #10
CoronaDelux  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
They both duckin, but more on mayweather. How the fu*k does he think they don't both deserve a 50-50 split?
 6 years ago '12        #11
44wade 289 heat pts289
space
space
space
$24,132 | Props total: 11397 11397
Mayweather needs this f!ght, Pac doesnt, IMO. Its Floyd legacy up in question, not Pacs. He needs to agree to terms, not Pac.
 6 years ago '11        #12
PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551
 44wade said:
Mayweather needs this f!ght, Pac doesnt, IMO. Its Floyd legacy up in question, not Pacs. He needs to agree to terms, not Pac.
both these f!ghters will be in question.

only 1 will be undefeated tho while the other has steroids in his legacy
 6 years ago '08        #13
crenshaw 
space
space
space
$677 | Props total: 88 88
After the ridicoulous ped test demands being out of the way, now this? discerning fans know what's up. Floyd clearly doesn't want this to happen.
 6 years ago '09        #14
ShadyVsEminem 244 heat pts244
space
space
$21,714 | Props total: 6210 6210
Why does he feel he is entitled to more money? Pacquiao is just as big a draw as he infact Pacquiaos last f!ght drew substantially more buys than his.

One of them will lose and the chance will be gone to make this superf!ght, i hope the both of them lose so all this sh*t ends

Last edited by ShadyVsEminem; 02-28-2012 at 06:56 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #15
dogmanx23 9 heat pts
space
space
$3,666 | Props total: 328 328
If Manny took less then 50/50 I wonder what the next excuse would be..

He has to shave the mustache because it bothers me...
 6 years ago '10        #16
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,887 | Props total: 21123 21123
5 Pages....go
 6 years ago '05        #17
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$36,999 | Props total: 1319 1319
Just STFU and take 50/50 already god damn.
 6 years ago '08        #18
F.A.M.E.M.O.B. 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,114 | Props total: 211 211
 dre03 said:
Pacquiao's last two f!ghts have generated more money than Mayweather last two f!ghts... Granted the numbers are close but it shows currently Pacqiuao is the bigger draw... What leverage does Floyd have to decline a 50/50 split when Pacquaio?

Don't give me sh*t about past f!ghts that was years ago... Currently the bigger draw in boxing is not Floyd... The f!ght should be 50/50
You so are wrong. Mayweather vs Ortiz was the third highest PPV buy in Non Heavyweight history. Mayweather's last f!ght generated $60 million and that wasn't his highest while Pacquiao's highest only generated $30 million. Floyd Mayweather is the biggest draw in sports period therefore he is entitled to a larger piece of the money as regardless of what Manny makes it will be his largest ever.
 02-29-2012, 12:34 AM         #19
roar09  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dogmanx23 said:
If Manny took less then 50/50 I wonder what the next excuse would be..

He has to shave the mustache because it bothers me...

6 years ago '04        #20
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
 I'm The Dan said:
He's just scared to f!ght. He knows Manny will not agree to anything less than 50/50 (and he shouldn't) so Mayweather will not f!ght him.

Mayweather isn't the one who is back pedaling, Manny said months ago that he would take less money in order to make the f!ght happen, why did he change his stance now ?? It's like when the original blood test question popped up he ran through multiple excuses ( doesn't like needles, draining blood weakens him, he doesn't want to be bossed around by floyd) then he eventually caved and gave in, now this second go around he's once again making multiple excuses to not f!ght floyd in May (his cut has to heal, he wants a bigger stadium, and NOW wants a 50/50 split ) , but what happened months ago when he said he would take less money and the pactards were like " Oh yea that's a real champion ! he f!ghts for the people ! " , how is Mayweather scarred if Pacquiao is the one CHANGING his stance and giving multiple excuses ??

[video - click to view]

44wade said:
Not only is Floyd undefeated but he mopped the floor with the guy Pacquiao couldn't convincingly beat 3 times in a row. Floyd has no "Marquez" type stain on his legacy unlike Manny. No one knows who can beat Floyd, but we all know who can beat Manny cuz we've seen the shyt with our own eyes.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
279 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy