Stephen A. Smith/Skip Bayless Talk About Racial Sensitivity With Jeremy Lin (video)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
17 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
84 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Read Westbrooks lips to Embiid
66 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM         #21
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
real sh*t...

dudes was just stucked in the moment of the lin hype and tried to go overboard. Bet they learned from there lesson, and like smith said now there out of a job....
 6 years ago '06        #22
adub123 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,968 | Props total: 11816 11816
 Bkjj11 said:
Espn is a corporate god. No second chances really. U fu*k up, u outta here
Exactly. Whoever pulled the trigger on firing this guy had NO choice. Huge companies like that will do anything to protect their reputation, avoid lawsuits, etc... I work for GE and they handle situations similarly when it can jeopardize their rep
 6 years ago '11        #23
masterpiece17 
space
space
$58 | Props total: 0 0
Well if you saw how the media was handling the performance of Lin in his first real starts, "chink in the armor" was pretty foreseeable. All I heard during the first few surprising performances of his winning streak were math and physics jokes. It's like commenting on a black player being really good at stealing and running and that sh*t ON THE AIR. Drawing on a stereotype to perpetuate it.

As for CHINK in the armor.. it's kinda like saying a N***** in a watermelon patch. It is a racial slur.
 6 years ago '04        #24
Veno da Don 23 heat pts23
space
space
$20,184 | Props total: 3330 3330
I think Skip and Steve should have their own show permanently.

Goat sports debate team.

fu*k this topic though im a Lin fan but im over talking about him or "race" for that matter.
 6 years ago '04        #25
space
space
 T-Styles said:
No, he sat there and all but said the only term that we should be sensitive to in our culture is the N word. Like there aren't similarly derogative and downgrading terms for other races and groups of people in the world.

*edit*
and you can honestly pretend like peopled don't KNOW derogatory terms for african americans, hispanics and asians? The same people must not know any curse words either, right?
fu*k it

I think you took what he said out of context. He was basically saying that the "N" word is the most well know and overused racial term, and there is no claim to "ignorance" when using the "N" word as opposed to other racial terms for other ethnic groups.
 6 years ago '05        #26
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,883 | Props total: 8407 8407
stephen A was on point with that, especially his closing statements
 6 years ago '05        #27
space
space
 skeetmcghee said:
the phrase chink in the armor is not meant to slur asians. but when the ESPN guy used it in regards to Lin not playing well (the webpage featured a picture of Lin with the phrase) and his team losing. that is at best insensitive and at worst offensive and racist. dude should have used better judgement. c'mon son.
"chink in the armor" is not a slur towards asians but "chink" undoubtedly is, i dont think he should have been fired, but he had to face something for that
 6 years ago '04        #28
space
space
 masterpiece17 said:
Well if you saw how the media was handling the performance of Lin in his first real starts, "chink in the armor" was pretty foreseeable. All I heard during the first few surprising performances of his winning streak were math and physics jokes. It's like commenting on a black player being really good at stealing and running and that sh*t ON THE AIR. Drawing on a stereotype to perpetuate it.

As for CHINK in the armor.. it's kinda like saying a N***** in a watermelon patch. It is a racial slur.
this is the most racist thing I have ever read on boxden because you were genuine
 6 years ago '08        #29
illwill23 
space
space
$109 | Props total: 4 4
 Veno da Don said:
this is the most racist thing I have ever read on boxden because you were genuine
racist
 6 years ago '09        #30
ReggieA 196 heat pts196
space
space
$41,659 | Props total: 2776 2776
 StateProperty88 said:
"chink in the armor" is not a slur towards asians but "chink" undoubtedly is, i dont think he should have been fired, but he had to face something for that
All together, it was just a bad choice of words used by the guy who wrote the headline, people just wanted something to talk about I guess.
 6 years ago '05        #31
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,045 | Props total: 824 824
Stephen A. is buckdancing. Sorry.
 6 years ago '04        #32
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
space
$9,570 | Props total: 2715 2715
 StateProperty88 said:
it's called a double entendre (double meaning)... writers use this type of thing all of the time in their titles. so yes, it was intentionally intended to have an asian reference in this circumstance, but even if it wasnt intended to be racist it still shouldn't have been said.
 6 years ago '05        #33
space
space
 fat_boyy21 said:
it's called a double entendre (double meaning)... writers use this type of thing all of the time in their titles. so yes, it was intentionally intended to have an asian reference in this circumstance, but even if it wasnt intended to be racist it still shouldn't have been said.
i know...but i was referring to someone's post
 6 years ago '04        #34
UF4Soldier 127 heat pts127
space
space
$19,047 | Props total: 4744 4744
stephen a was too right on this
 6 years ago '04        #35
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
 freakbucket said:
i dont think everyone who says chinc in the armor is trying to be disrespectful to jeremy lin. I damn sure didn't think anything was wrong with it. i've never even heard asians called chink or whatever it is, what does it even mean?

the only racial term i acknowledge as bad is a white person called a black person a ******. anything else, i rather just call someone a bi*ch.
 6 years ago '04        #36
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,809 | Props total: 1831 1831
Yall really dont see the relevance Stephan A's rant had to the original topic ??

He did go off on a tangent but it was just looking at the bigger picture of how maybe we should cut certain ppl some slack , not necessarily give them a pass but more of a second chance to redeem themselves by allowing them to issue an apology after they're educated about their actions instead of firing ppl from positions they've worked their whole lives to attain over one word they said.

The topic started with the writer fired for using the "chink" slur/phrase, Stephan A's rant was insinuating that maybe in that type of situation the person should be allowed to issue an apology before they destroy their career/life.

Not saying I agree or disagree fully either way but as for the writer I have a feeling he knew what he was doing. You write professionally for an industry familiar with racial issues, it's very hard to believe that someone with that profession writing in that particular field didnt know what that term meant nor the impact it could have offensively. I just dont buy it.

I do believe some ppl know exactly what they're doing and will just play stupid and issue an apology after saying what they want to say but I do believe there might actually be a small percentage of ppl who have faced serious and permanent repercussions in these type of situations that really didn't know better.

Alot of people in here are saying that ppl shouldn't get cut any slack because everyone knows the racial terms that exist ( Ni66er, Ch!nk, Sp!c, K!ke, etc), I dont think he's necessarily referring to those commonly known terms but rather other "expressions" or "stereotypes" that most ppl would have to be more racially savvy to know.

Last edited by psylence2k; 02-22-2012 at 10:03 PM..
 6 years ago '06        #37
darnbni99a 
space
space
$2,012 | Props total: 24 24
i agree 100% wit smith
 6 years ago '09        #38
bigscore 1632 heat pts1632
space
space
$12,832 | Props total: 17941 17941
None of these reporters would dare say Jew, Kike, cheap skate etc if the player/person was jewish cause they wouldnt stand for it...

If your a writer/reporter there are a ton of ways to headline a story without using the term "chink" when your writing about an asian player....he was trying to be "cute" and he got burned for it

It's just as derogatory to asians as n*gga, spic, white trash etc are to other races...

But they only try that sh*t with certain races...

i'm glad that white reporter didnt get away with it.

The "MAN" is an athelete playing a game....no room for a term like "Chink" in the story.

This is probally same type of person who doesn't see anything wrong when police k!ll innocent -unarmed young black men..

The day we stop being "so sensitive" about this type of sh*t is the day we loose what little respect in the media that we have....

Last edited by bigscore; 02-22-2012 at 11:39 PM..
 6 years ago '07        #39
Bullseye 59 heat pts59
space
space
$8,915 | Props total: 1802 1802
So is he saying Don Imus should have been forgiven?
 6 years ago '04        #40
UF4Soldier 127 heat pts127
space
space
$19,047 | Props total: 4744 4744
 ATLien2g2 said:
Exactly. Then he goes on to say he is speaking for black america. No he wasn't, who made him the spokesman. You can't be a spokesman for an entire race of people because all black people do not feel the same on various topics. The nerve of this typical loud mouth black man because thats exactly the role he plays, to turn that into a black people need to stop blaming everything on the man rant. That n*gga is out of touch with reality. He has speaking out on issues and standing up for yourself so it doesn't happen to others confused with complaining
how do u not get was he was saying he didnt make it about black people he is sayin the way we quickly get sensitives about bullsh*t like........ lil words such as n*gga ,or is it ****** or nappy head or chicken or anything......it causes other races to be like well if they offended by this well we gone complain to cause we offended by this and this ..... its like when one kid tells on another then the other tells back on him and then it just turns into a finger pointing contest!
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
112 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
139 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
167 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
129 comments
2 days ago