Peter Rosenberg Calls Nicki Minaj's "Starship" one of the biggest sell out records ever in hip hop

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
206 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
255 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
91 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA After losing seven straight, Stan Van Gundy calls out Andre Drummond, Pist..
40 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #81
FrankAndBeans 27 heat pts27
space
space
$3,994 | Props total: 5679 5679
Making money > limiting yourself

There is no benefit to being a slave to hip hop. If Nicki "kept it real" she wouldn't be on yall mind. Count how many threads on BX are dedicated to "real hip hop artist"....not many. That's not what catch yall attention, apparently.
 6 years ago '04        #82
aerokid240 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,235 | Props total: 0 0
 FrankAndBeans said:
Making money > limiting yourself

There is no benefit to being a slave to hip hop. If Nicki "kept it real" she wouldn't be on yall mind. Count how many threads on BX are dedicated to "real hip hop artist"....not many. That's not what catch yall attention, apparently.
This...

**Looks at billboard and see's nicki @ #8 on the top 100, with a pop record of course. They bash her for making pop, but pop records like superbass is what got her awards and nominations and stardom. If you can make a hit record, whether its pop, rock, etc. why box yourself in? You're only limiting yourself.
 6 years ago '11        #83
SuL2K12 
space
space
$1,370 | Props total: 434 434
 ralph lauren said:
Damn... he kept it hundid

:agreement6:
 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM         #84
drumgangP  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I didn't really think heteros3xual men had opinions on Nickis music.....I've literally heard less than 5 of her songs in full. I accept the fact they aren't for me, and rightfully ignore her.

IMO that's like a straight man talking about anal s3x, no homo......we just shouldn't do that
 6 years ago '08        #85
foestacks 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$5,738 | Props total: 1217 1217
truthhhh
 02-20-2012, 11:11 PM         #86
StatisticZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tj.iscool said:
she barely been out a year n*gga
Where the fu*k you been? I was downloading my bi*ch her songs at the end of 09 and one of the members here designed her "breakthrough" mixtape cover in like 07.
 6 years ago '04        #87
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,423 | Props total: 6452 6452
so we all agree that she is on some rhianna sh!t and should treat her as such

but that starships song gives me that barbie world song vibe. i have no idea why though
 02-21-2012, 12:11 AM         #88
tj.iscool  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Lot17 said:
She's been on the Billboard Hot 100 every week since 2009. Barely a year?
[pic - click to view]

i dont keep up with trash music, calm down sheep
 02-21-2012, 12:12 AM         #89
tj.iscool  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 GUNIT-FINEST said:
wow i know YMCMB trying to cross over but this sh*t is just sad has hip hop really come to this. mtv sucks u got this bi*ch on hottest mc list but then drop's this bs GTFOH nikki what happen to the come up dvd is everything about sales really wtf is this sh*t.
wait she made it on that mtv list?

02-21-2012, 12:14 AM         #90
tj.iscool  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 StatisticZ said:
Where the fu*k you been? I was downloading my bi*ch her songs at the end of 09 and one of the members here designed her "breakthrough" mixtape cover in like 07.
she wasnt even heard of or mainstream in 07

02-21-2012, 12:17 AM         #91
lifeundthescope  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k hip hop, its new age deal with it.
 6 years ago '11        #92
bd2eazy 38 heat pts38
space
space
$5,143 | Props total: 175 175
nikki is wack.
 6 years ago '04        #93
The S-Word 
space
space
$3,678 | Props total: 1300 1300
 S W A N said:
Eh....Lauryn Hill Queen Latifah Lil Kim Mc Lyte were all taken serious as mcs. Hell even Foxy Brown at one point. Bahamadia is probably one of the hottest females that never got shown love...but she also was not much to look at.
True, though I'd switch Foxy and Kim's positions in your post. Kim was one of the biggest sellouts in female rap in her prime, something Nicki definitely picked up on when copying her. Foxy, on the other hand, kept it Hip-Hop/only rapped.
 6 years ago '11        #94
STRIVERS LIFE 26 heat pts26
space
space
$3,876 | Props total: 3982 3982
As much as I hate to admit it, golden era hip hop is beyond irrelevant. If your music isn't affording you the lifestyle you want, you're doing something wrong. Fans crying out because she's not respecting the "art" should feel that same way when a new Madden game drops with nothing more than a roster update or a new "retro" Jordan sneaker comes out that looks like a shoe before it--the game is to find a formula that works and PIMP THE sh*t OUT OF IT. Art without money is dead and money without art is business, bar none.
 6 years ago '04        #95
Tha_Kid_Ace 
space
space
$367 | Props total: 18 18
 Kadillac87 said:
I Dont Care What Yall Think This Was A Hot Record
 6 years ago '10        #96
Lamar Burton 13 heat pts13
space
space
$1,001 | Props total: 389 389
Pop or not the song is garbage. Pop doesn't mean bad. Michael Jackson is the king of pop and he's got all kinds of classics. There are plenty of good pop songs. The problem is people are making too many sh*tty songs today in all genres. The lack of talent is ridiculous.
 6 years ago '08        #97
Lot17 24 heat pts24
space
space
$3,022 | Props total: 465 465
 tj.iscool said:
i dont keep up with trash music, calm down sheep
Then stfu til you know the facts, dummy.
 02-21-2012, 03:46 AM         #98
SOCIALITE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Idk if Flo Rida counts as a sell out but he makes this type of sh*t too. Only two rappers going full blown pop. Slight pop on a single can be nice, but this Starship sh*t is a full blown pop joint smh
 02-21-2012, 04:28 AM         #99
NoChefNeeded  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
flo rida is trash, nobody needs to say that. like some1 said.. the song is sh*tty.. david guetta version 1500
 6 years ago '05        #100
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,240 | Props total: 9646 9646
there's hip-hop and then there's pop. this isn't really hip-hop, so she isn't selling anything out. plus in 2012, where every genre is blurring together, it's really difficult to sell out IMO.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
181 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
74 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
62 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
46 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
57 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
82 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
23 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Good Guy Brand! George Clooney Gifted 14 of His Close Friends..
42 comments
19 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy