Why Cant rappers Go GOLD anymore??

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
26 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
73 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
96 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
267 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '10        #61
kiddrocay 27 heat pts27
space
space
$19,669 | Props total: 4518 4518
turn on the radio and ask ya self, is that ish really worth your money
 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM         #62
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Kingme said:
Bullsh*t. You know how many people was selling cds made off napster for $5? Everybody knew someone with a good connection and cd burner, you didn't need your own. Computer labs in high school and colleges had the bandwidth. Everyone had computers back then, not laptops and smartphones but gateways and Dells.

Not to mention I still buy the cds I consider art. I don't buy junk. I use to buy bootleg tapes from Africans till n*ggas started selling the napster mix cds, a lot of people did.

Now the itunes sh*t really started k!lling platinum plaques, a lot of people who can buy 4 songs off of an album now are the same ones who would buy a whole cd just to repeatedly listen to the radio single song. The industry fukked itself. Don't go blaming the free trade of information. The internet didn't k!ll music sells the music industry did

The last Paragraph is something that hasn't been discussed yet but I can bear witness that my girl is the worst because she only buys singles, she doesn't know how to steal music online or bootleg but she will listen to samples of all the songs on an ITunes album and only download the songs she likes....sh*t is disgusting to me but makes 100% sense to her.
 6 years ago '11        #63
X_WunderKind_X 909 heat pts909
space
space
$42,261 | Props total: 17714 17714
a lot people have the money and like to let you know they have it, America is a fairly materialistic culture, I don't wanna hear people cant put at a little money to buy 10 dollar albums when you know else they are buying.
 05-02-2012, 09:56 AM         #64
Rhyme n Tekniq  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Some body mentioned Adele, I agree she's proof that people will still buy albums

Adele album is successful because it feels like an event instead of just an album alone, she deserves

whens the last time a hip hop Album felt like an event

Thug Motivation 101

Nas: Untitled

Kingdom Come

Get rich or die trying

College Dropout

Eminem show
 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM         #65
Trill Clinton  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Because the sh*t is trash...hell,most of the sh*t that comes out isn't even worth the download let alone 15 bucks...
 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM         #66
Dos-effect  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Because the internet and the mp3 k!lled the video star..............and Eminems fan base dwarfs pretty much every other hiphop artist........it doesn't mean he is better.......just more accepted.
 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM         #67
Prophecy_projet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This has been known since at least 2006.

Rap fans bootleg and want all the content more than any other music genre listener. When sh*t become more free and accessible than ever before cats stopped support.

People went from going to buy 5 albums for like $15 each a week, to just downloading every mixtape, discography, single at the click of a mouse.

By '06 there was enough online file sharing options that masses starting going digital.

But I think slowly Hip-Hop is finding a way to curve that and save money by touring, dropping free content (mixtape albums) and releasing stuff on itunes first. They may not see the same numbers but they'll recover in some strech.
 6 years ago '06        #68
28 Gramz 51 heat pts51
space
space
$7,577 | Props total: 4496 4496
1.Mixtapes...artists give away way too much music nowadays and don't even let the fans fiend for their albums anymore, when you have rappers like Currensy, Krit, Ross and Future pretty much giving away free albums the joy of going out and coppin the album is gone. It's nothing like back in the day when all a rapper had to give you was a single 3 weeks before the release date and you wanted to rush to the store and cop the actual cd. There is zero anticipation for this new sh*t.

2.At the end of the day, alot of these new generation dudes don't make music that is worth paying money for. I would never spend money on a Big Sean,J Cole,Wale,Kid Cudi etc..type album. They have no backstory and it seems like they just wanna rap because it's cool and something to do, they're not engaging as people and you don't like THEM as anything other than entertainment. In the 90's, n*ggas really looked up to Pac,Big,Wu Tang,Bone Thugs,death Row...you wanted to BE LIKE these dudes not just because they had dope music but because they were them n*ggas period. Even 2000's era rappers like Dipset,Jeezy,(young)Wayne,50 created MOVEMENTS cause they all approached the game in their own creative way that drew you in to them as well as their music. Most of these post-Kanye era rappers are soft lame college dudes whining about nothing, rapping about simpin, new clothes and getting hated on. When Kanye first came out he created a new lane for this type of rapper it's just too bad none of them are nearly as creative,intriging or personal enough to make wanna buy their sh*t...they're just lames behind mics now.
 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM         #69
drumgangP  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
First off at the people saying the 'quality of music is down'.....As Grafted pointed out, the quality of music is actually up...Hell the underground is in full force, and on a mainstream level you can go find albums that are amazing...People like using that excuse, even though they themselves know it isnt true.

In my opinion its more so a label situation....I've said it on here plenty of times before so:

...Take the Adele situation...people in this day & age are saying they dont understand WHY Adele is still selling and why is she still on top....Its the same reason why Ke$ha and Katy Perrys last albums are over a year and a half old but are still being promoted...Labels stopped promoting Hip hop for the long term, and started 'cashing out' on short term success instead. When Jay Z, Eminem, and 50 Cent did so much talking about selling from 98-2004 the labels paid attention...It was trendy to spend time talking about first week sales, and it became evident that hip hop fans would run out and purchase in bulk at the beginning of an albums shelf life...Why promote an album and support an artist with a realistic budget for a YEAR when you can make all your money back in the first 2 months of its shelf life and force the artist to put another album out 10 months down the line? The attention being paid to 'first week sales' is completely disgusting...labels have jaded rap fans into believing that first week sales realistically determine an artists selling power even though Adele, Kesha, and Katy Perrys first week sales were all lower than 210K each.

Think about that....Katy, Perry, Kesha, and Adele all sold less than 210K apiece in their first week debuts....but all of them are platinum off those same albums...why? The label didnt push them for just a month or two, they launched year long(sometimes longer than year long) campaigns to promote the albums. If they were hip hop artists the typical fan would've called them a 'flop' and laughed at them...Pop fans embraced them and got them to platinum. Interesting isnt it?

Need more proof? Think about TI's "Trap Muzik"...Go back and look at how many videos it received, how long it was pushed, and the length of time before he dropped the next disc. He was once dissed by Lil Flip for having 4 or 5 videos instead of just doing "2 or 3" but why?! Because that was around the time people were being brainwashed into thinking a rap album should only have 2 videos and shouldnt be promoted for longer than a couple months.

People constantly speak of Kanye West being successful...but after reading what I said about promotion being stopped after a few months and labels playing into the first week trend...think about how many videos kanye drops for his albums...how he even pays for his own long term promotion/multiple videos even after the label stops?

Labels are to blame, and they know it. They openly complain about the music situation but they've pretty much caused it themselves. Its not really about illegal downloading, its about not creating an atmosphere where a fan feels he or she SHOULD get out the house and go support an album.

One of you mentioned album releases used to be an 'event'....You're right, it did.

And sidenote: I like what Ross is doing with holding this press conference today. He has the right idea about marketing/promotion...people are criticizing him for not just having a Def Jam conference call or just doing an interview on a blog but hes doing the right thing...Hes making events out of his releases and forcing people to take him serious. Perfect execution

Sorry for getting wordy, worth the read I swear.
 05-02-2012, 12:52 PM         #70
drumgangP  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Vickvapor said:
Well the other artist you listed arent platinum worth,atleast not now they arent.Some of them will never be. Snoop aint sh*t without Dre.
Why do people always act like Snoop just disappears unless hes hanging on to Dr. Dre? He did movies, platinum albums, gold albums, television show appearances, and all kinds of sh*t without Dre. Hes an icon, hes a BIG DEAL with or without Dre.
 05-02-2012, 03:48 PM         #71
Dos-effect  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 drumgangP said:
Why do people always act like Snoop just disappears unless hes hanging on to Dr. Dre? He did movies, platinum albums, gold albums, television show appearances, and all kinds of sh*t without Dre. Hes an icon, hes a BIG DEAL with or without Dre.
Yeah Doggy did all right for himself.............
 6 years ago '06        #72
unotready 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,104 | Props total: 16 16
 Im Soo Special said:
^ the last 2

Like don trip said, n*ggas dont make music for humans anymore. Download the album and pick the 6-7 songs off it to put on ya sh*t. Mixtapes >>> albums now

Thats why i say STOP making mixtapes as free material and start selling that sh*t
That means artists would be required to go through a lot of processes and complications if they want to sell their mixtapes the legal way. For one, you'd have to buy exclusive rights to every production - or have an inhouse producer do most of the work to save you money. Secondly, you'd have to go through sample clearance and then find a distributor. If you don't want to sell physical copies, then you just get in touch w/ itunes and workout an agreement w/ them.

but if you're saying to sell it out your trunk, lol.. good luck w/ that in these days
 6 years ago '06        #73
unotready 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,104 | Props total: 16 16
Honestly, a lot of artists are just stupid or lack knowledge of branding/interaction w/ fans. Artists make a lot of money off merchandise. If you create a brand, you have to turn it into a movement. You have to interact w/ your fans through v-logs but make the interactions personal rather than an edited montage of clips with music in the background. You need to make videos that show you throughout your daily life and speak into the camera as if you're addressing your fans etc... Guys like Machine Gun kelly and Hoodie Allen have mastered this and their fans are very loyal. Same goes to a guy named Logic.
 6 years ago '04        #74
Skammy Gee 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,210 | Props total: 109 109
 wjcorner said:
music lost it's value...consumer's ears went shot, any n*gga with a condenser mic is an "engineer" now, the tracking engineer, mixes the song, then masters it...don't even get me started on the over-compressed bullsh*t they got now...mothafu*kas got used to listening to mp3s instead of .wavs to the point that some of my clients were having me rip youtube beats off the net with a sh*tty encoder so they could rap over them...sh*ts sounded like trash because of all this, people don't really cherish the sound you can(usually) only get from a store bought CD through a proper output chain(quality amps, if you're going digital then great converters, flat monitors and a treated room). so now there is no distinction for the consumer between a professionally pressed CD and some sh*t the CD man passing out at the barbershop or the
[spoiler - click to view]

Graftedgenes said:
Being a studio-rat myself I appreciate them ,wav files more than I do the compressed MP3's, once you DL a MP3 and import it into Pro-Tools it sounds like garbage and no plug-ins or effects can bring it back to life like the actual instrumental sound you need.

I DJ so Im used to the warmth of Vinyl sound and people never understand why I buy actual CD's of music that I value and why I actually want to hear the crispness of the hi-hats and the low frequencies in the best sound format possible without DL.

But yeah I co-sign your postage.

studio rat over here.... an I strongly c/s these 2 posts
 Kingme said:
Don't blame the internet. When napster, winmx, kazaa etc. was poppin, rappers was still going multiplat and diamond.
U cant compare because back then with a 56k it took half an hr to download a song.
 6 years ago '11        #75
ImDopeG 
space
space
$162 | Props total: 0 0
Rappers suck now. they do it for themselves not the people so it doesnt sell as well.
the people goin gold or platninum are certified artist with a solid fanbase.
its only a few rappers putting out quality music.
i can see kendrick goin gold later on
 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM         #76
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Blacknitro said:
I never threw any hate towards the internet. I just dropped the facts. Not half as many adults had a computer in their home back then.

And CD bootleggin was mostly a ghetto thing usually between black males.

And as I said earlier, rappers are still going platinum. They just doin it off of singles. The internet and mp3 empowered us to choose how we listen/consume our music as I said in another thread. I'm glad.

And the rappers were fools for siding with bootleggers in interviews and giving away music for free, makin thiefs feel like they were doin no harm. They played a roll in k!llin the value of music themselves.
A ghetto thing between black males huh? Bootleg KeV
 6 years ago '11        #77
KeithClark 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,458 | Props total: 122 122
 Graftedgenes said:
I dont believe you

In 2011 I bought these off top:

Charity starts at Home
Greatest Story never Told
Undone
Cole world
Wonder Years
Success is Certain
The Dreamer The Believer
Section 80
Monumental
Gutter Rainbows

Why did you refuse to support good Hiphop and use a weak excuse to justify your piracy?

n*ggaz ask me all the time what I think of these rappers (cause I rap too). I RESPECT all these n*ggaz doing this. But music (not only rap) is fake as fu*k now. I used to buy all the posthumous 2pac albums but after Pac's Life came out and was a piece of sh*t I decided never to pay for a 2pac album again (and I regard 2pac as the best musician to ever live). Then after Pac I'm a HUGE Wu-tang/ RZA fan but their last sh*t I purchased was Bronze Nazereth & Think Differently. I'm CONSIDERING buying Nas's new album (I think he is the best rapper alive) and he inspired me to rap but even all those I mentioned have last their HUNGER to make HITS. The last album I brought was Thank Me Later and that was because I thought the artwork was amazing! - Keith Clark
 05-06-2012, 12:19 PM         #78
ManWithoutFear!  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
did muthafuhkas really sit down and talk about how much an artist sold before the internet though? i could imagine being in my son crib we all chillin' and me saying some sh*t like, "yo but so and so only sold 50,000 units." lol then all them n*ggas in sync telling me to shut my muthafuhkin' a.ss up and listen to the god damn songs! lmao
 6 years ago '11        #79
Jaymalls 58 heat pts58
space
space
$3,933 | Props total: 366 366
 wjcorner said:
music lost it's value...consumer's ears went shot, any n*gga with a condenser mic is an "engineer" now, the tracking engineer, mixes the song, then masters it...don't even get me started on the over-compressed bullsh*t they got now...mothafu*kas got used to listening to mp3s instead of .wavs to the point that some of my clients were having me rip youtube beats off the net with a sh*tty encoder so they could rap over them...sh*ts sounded like trash because of all this, people don't really cherish the sound you can(usually) only get from a store bought CD through a proper output chain(quality amps, if you're going digital then great converters, flat monitors and a treated room). so now there is no distinction for the consumer between a professionally pressed CD and some sh*t the CD man passing out at the barbershop or the
[spoiler - click to view]

GOAY COMMENT: 1 of the smartest n*ggas on BX right here!
 6 years ago '06        #80
hooligun 12 heat pts12
space
space
$20,301 | Props total: 538 538
rap has been disposable for the past 5-6 years... nobody has put out anything worth buying plus it's the piracy era... nobody is bumpin that carter 4 or watch the throne
Home      

most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
75 comments
18 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
111 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
115 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
124 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
joie chavis
45 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
111 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
21 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
116 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy