Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
62 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
72 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-19-2012, 05:29 PM         #1
6408 pageviews
93 comments

Graftedgenes 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Why Cant rappers Go GOLD anymore??

[pic - click to view]

Platinum selling group Insane Clown Possee

I was going back-&-forth with Trevor & Amber and they were bragging about how Emenim can go Diamond but 99% of rappers cant even go GOLD.

I thought about that sh*t and looked through my records and my play-lists...Opie might be right.

The G-Unit era ushered in sales obsession for the most part so lets take it back about 5 years to when HIPHOP music wanted to sabotage itself with the corniest of gimmicks:

[CENTER]Fu*k who makes the best music lets battle each other for sales.

50-Cent Vs Kanye.......

[pic - click to view]

Facts & Stats:

After that sales battle in 2007 the only rappers who have gone Platinum:

T.I
JayZ
Drake
Emenim
LiL Wayne
Nicki Minaj
Kanye West

(About 7)

the only rappers who have gone GOLD in the last 5 Years

Nas
Plies
B.O.B
Game
J. Cole
50 Cent
Ludacris
Kid Cudi
Common
Fabolous
Rick Ross
Young Jeez
Lupe Fiasco
Bone Thugs
Snoop Dogg
Wiz Khalifah

(About 15)

Yo, that's on average 2 Platinums & 3 Golds a year....meager 5 certification a year.

In 2010 not 1 single African-American went Platinum..only Emenim & Drake....
The Gold albums were Kanye, Wayne, Luda, Drake, Ross, & B.O.B

In 2011 the platinum artist were LiL Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Kanye/JayZ, & Drake
The Gold albums were Emenim/Royce, Wiz, J.Cole, T.I.

Yeah The Roots aint seeing Gold and poor Curren$y aint going Gold and despite Joe Buddens E-base he aint seeing Gold either, Rakim never got his solo platinum...no Snoop, Jada, Styles, Soulja in the last 5 years.

Thousands of rap releases are dropped yearly but sadly less than 10 artists out of thousands will get that prized trophy in Gold ..since 2006 and within the last 5 years only about 20 rappers have gotten that Gold or Platinum...

Makes you wonder huh??

Last edited by Graftedgenes; 05-12-2012 at 02:44 PM..

93 comments for "Why Cant rappers Go GOLD anymore??"

6 years ago '11        #2
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
Look at the quality of music since 2006 the ringtone/autotone era

First page
 02-19-2012, 05:38 PM         #3
DoubleD  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ward22 said:
Black people don't buy albums
I do.
 6 years ago '12        #4
SLiP 35 heat pts35
space
space
$4,013 | Props total: 1333 1333
n*ggas bootleg like crazy now and people end up listening to something they would've had to spend money on for free.. before the sh*t even comes out.
 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM         #5
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 90sBaby said:
I do.
I buy albums too but people like to forget that Black folks are only 13% of the population with less disposable income than whites.

Black folks got Jazz, Blues, R&B, Soul, Neo-Soul, & Gospel to choose from the musical artforms we invented so we cant just gobble up every HipHop album that drops...we might even get some Reggae before that.

Rappers starving out here.
 6 years ago '08        #6
piffery973 11 heat pts11
space
space
$2,221 | Props total: 1 1
piracy era
 6 years ago '05        #7
cowlersleycowle 
space
space
space
$2,206 | Props total: 468 468
Because 99% of people can't make a good album. They spoil it for the ones who can.
 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM         #8
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 cowlersleycowle said:
Because 99% of people can't make a good album. They spoil it for the ones who can.
Some people say they shouldnt even buy albums because they can download album-quality mix-tapes for free.

If every album was like "Illmatic" there would still be people who would download it for free or buy the bootleg.

...this still doesnt explain why The Roots dont sell Gold every drop.
 02-19-2012, 06:18 PM         #9
DoubleD  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 cowlersleycowle said:
People that download and listen to albums think the albums they download and listen to are great, so why dont they go buy them?
 6 years ago '12        #10
noverum 
space
space
$2,873 | Props total: 1654 1654
 Graftedgenes said:
I buy albums too but people like to forget that Black folks are only 13% of the population with less disposable income than whites.

Black folks got Jazz, Blues, R&B, Soul, Neo-Soul, & Gospel to choose from the musical artforms we invented so we cant just gobble up every HipHop album that drops...we might even get some Reggae before that.

Rappers starving out here.
We..?

On topic : The internet has played a major part; illegal downloads and the increasing prominence of singles on iTunes.
 6 years ago '09        #11
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,671 | Props total: 13152 13152
 Graftedgenes said:

In 2010 not 1 single African-American went Platinum..only Emenim & Drake....
The Gold albums were Kanye, Wayne, Luda, Drake, Ross, & B.O.B

6 years ago '08        #12
The Fifth KD 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,477 | Props total: 1271 1271
 Kontrast0 said:
Mulatto Canadian, Brah.
 6 years ago '09        #13
Brainwave 5389 heat pts5389
space
space
$18,418 | Props total: 5 5
 piffery973 said:
piracy era

[pic - click to view]

Very First MP3 Player

[pic - click to view]

Before there were iPods, there were MP3 players. The very first one was launched this Month on CeBIT in 1998. The iPod on the other hand, is just barely 7 years old.

The MPMan F10 has a whooping 32MB of flash memory when it first went out in public. Produced by Korea’s Saehan Information Systems, this very first MP3 player went on sale at just $250 a pop.

Then Rio followed suit with their PMP300. Apple was late by 3 years but it revolutionized how people consumed digital music. The rest, they say is history.

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '11        #14
GangGreen227 42 heat pts42
space
space
$2,822 | Props total: 128 128

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '08        #15
portis187 29 heat pts29
space
space
$7,072 | Props total: 2276 2276
bacause rap blows now a days. If your smart you wouldn't waste you money on this garbage. Rap from 1988-2005 will never get old to me. fu*k these clowns now a days.
 6 years ago '06        #16
Affectz 131 heat pts131
space
space
$8,215 | Props total: 4493 4493
because most rappers dont deserve to get their album copped,if your a big fan who strongly supports a artist then that shows the artist is worth the purchase since their music really connects to the potential buyer,I dont think most people just buy music because they "like" it,if they love it they'll buy it,theres not alot of artist that are strongly influencial as a kanye,drake or wayne right now,its all about star power and that loyal fanbase,plus u have to have big mainstream appeal,drop some hits u know,get that respect
 6 years ago '11        #17
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,802 | Props total: 2667 2667
music lost it's value...consumer's ears went shot, any n*gga with a condenser mic is an "engineer" now, the tracking engineer, mixes the song, then masters it...don't even get me started on the over-compressed bullsh*t they got now...mothafu*kas got used to listening to mp3s instead of .wavs to the point that some of my clients were having me rip youtube beats off the net with a sh*tty encoder so they could rap over them...sh*ts sounded like trash because of all this, people don't really cherish the sound you can(usually) only get from a store bought CD through a proper output chain(quality amps, if you're going digital then great converters, flat monitors and a treated room). so now there is no distinction for the consumer between a professionally pressed CD and some sh*t the CD man passing out at the barbershop or the
[spoiler - click to view]

02-19-2012, 07:46 PM         #18
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Affectz said:
because most rappers dont deserve to get their album copped,if your a big fan who strongly supports a artist then that shows the artist is worth the purchase since their music really connects to the potential buyer,I dont think most people just buy music because they "like" it,if they love it they'll buy it,theres not alot of artist that are strongly influencial as a kanye,drake or wayne right now,its all about star power and that loyal fanbase,plus u have to have big mainstream appeal,drop some hits u know,get that respect
Respectable post.

Based on recent sales trends Im of the opinion that Platinum is dead and people need to stop judging music solely based on units sold.

Platinum is only obtainable to less than 1% of artists and Gold is what 1.5%??

Piracy, mixtapes, bootlegging and oversatuartion is a problem but I agree with you that if you Love the music and respect the artists craft you will support them with a purchase.
 02-19-2012, 07:56 PM         #19
Graftedgenes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 wjcorner said:
music lost it's value...consumer's ears went shot, any n*gga with a condenser mic is an "engineer" now, the tracking engineer, mixes the song, then masters it...don't even get me started on the over-compressed bullsh*t they got now...mothafu*kas got used to listening to mp3s instead of .wavs to the point that some of my clients were having me rip youtube beats off the net with a sh*tty encoder so they could rap over them...sh*ts sounded like trash because of all this, people don't really cherish the sound you can(usually) only get from a store bought CD through a proper output chain(quality amps, if you're going digital then great converters, flat monitors and a treated room). so now there is no distinction for the consumer between a professionally pressed CD and some sh*t the CD man passing out at the barbershop or the
[spoiler - click to view]

Being a studio-rat myself I appreciate them ,wav files more than I do the compressed MP3's, once you DL a MP3 and import it into Pro-Tools it sounds like garbage and no plug-ins or effects can bring it back to life like the actual instrumental sound you need.

I DJ so Im used to the warmth of Vinyl sound and people never understand why I buy actual CD's of music that I value and why I actually want to hear the crispness of the hi-hats and the low frequencies in the best sound format possible without DL.

But yeah I co-sign your postage.
 6 years ago '11        #20
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
 portis187 said:
bacause rap blows now a days. If your smart you wouldn't waste you money on this garbage. Rap from 1988-2005 will never get old to me. fu*k these clowns now a days.
:agreement6:
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish