The Official 2012 NFL Combine Thread (Feb. 22-28 on the NFL Network)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
204 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
253 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
91 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
176 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '06        #21
Honolulu Blue 32 heat pts32
space
space
$17,449 | Props total: 1099 1099
When does NFL Network begin coverage?
 6 years ago '09        #22
ReggieA 196 heat pts196 OP
space
space
$41,654 | Props total: 2764 2764

[pic - click to view]

Alshon Jeffery's 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine will be a pivotal factor in his eventual draft slot.

Every player in Indianapolis is looking to make an impression, but a few truly must take care of business to either maintain their lofty status or stop the bleeding of their falling stock due to an underwhelming 2011 campaign.

It's no surprise that the lion's share of players listed here are underclassmen. Many of the top seniors got a chance to shine at the East-West Shrine Game or Senior Bowl, while only a couple of young players showed their wares at the contest put on by the NFL Players a.ssociation in January.

Without further ado, let's take a look at the players in the crosshairs at the NFL Scouting Combine (in alphabetical order):

Ron Brooks, CB, LSU: Playing in the shadow of Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu (aka "The Honey Badger") during his time in Baton Rouge, Brooks' talent went mostly unnoticed. Measuring in well and displaying his athleticism to everyone else around the country could greatly increase his notoriety.

Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M: Scouts love Fuller's size and his lineage as the son of the former 49ers safety of the same name, but he needs to catch nearly every pass in drills (something he couldn't do during the season or at the Senior Bowl) and run faster than expected to even get consideration as a top-100 prospect.

Terrance Ganaway, RB, Baylor: Looking at the 5-foot-11 1/2, 241-pound Ganaway, one would expect him to record slow times during his time on the Lucas Oil Stadium turf. While his 40-yard dash time may be average, he could surprise some people by turning in an explosive 10-yard split and putting up quick times for his size in the agility tests.

Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina: There's no questioning his size, strength and ability to go up and grab the ball (sometimes with one hand) over the top of smaller defenders. But no single player at the combine has a more important 40-yard dash. Keeping his time in the mid-4.5's should also keep him in the first-round conversation.

Case Keenum, QB, Houston: The NCAA's all-time leading passer chose not to participate in any All-Star games, so his measurements and the arm strength and footwork he shows during his combine throwing session (even without an oncoming rush) will be closely examined.

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama: Much like his former teammate, receiver Julio Jones, Alabama's top corner comes to Indy with scouts expecting mediocre straight-line speed and agility because of his size. He won't likely run a 4.39 like Jones, but anything in the mid 4.4's and strong performances in the other events will open some eyes.

Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College: One of the most productive tacklers in NCAA history (coming up just short of the NCAA records for single-season and career stops) looks to disprove the sentiment that he lacks the athleticism to be a top-20 pick.

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State: Not only will scouts be interested in how he throws the ball, but also whether his 6-8 frame will allow him to have the foot quickness to elude NFL defenders.

Donte Paige-Moss, DE, North Carolina: Although he managed just four tackles for loss and two sacks in 2011 after accumulating 13.5 and seven the previous season, this junior could still be a relatively high pick if he showcases the size/speed combination most believe he possesses.

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis: At 6-5, 350 pounds, Poe has the potential to be a force at the next level. If he excels during his workout in Indy, teams will view him as that late first-round pick from outside the BCS conferences (see: 2011 Jets pick Muhammad Wilkerson) and not a second-round "project" (like 2010 Giants second-rounder Linval Joseph -- though Joseph looks to be turning out just fine for the Super Bowl champs).

Rueben Randle, WR, LSU: The Tigers' lack of a passing game limited Randle's opportunities, so now it's up to him to show scouts he can run and catch as quickly and fluidly as receivers taking advantage of more prolific attacks.

Donald Stephenson, OT, Oklahoma: Injuries and academic issues limited Stephenson's playing time with the Sooners, but don't be surprised if he turns in one of the better overall performances in terms of speed and agility among the tackles in this class.

Follow Chad Reuter on Twitter @ChadReuter

Source:
 6 years ago '09        #23
space
space
Trent Richardson will not participate in on-field drills at this week’s NFL Scouting Combine because of a minor knee injury, a league source said Wednesday.

The former Alabama star, considered the top running back in this year’s draft, suffered a minor injury in a practice leading up to last month’s BCS Championship Game, the source said, and had a “minor scope” about three weeks ago to alleviate his discomfort.

Richardson has made good progress since then, but as a precaution, he’ll limit his activity at the combine. He’s expected to be able to participate in all on-field testing at Alabama’s March 7 pro day.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @JasonLaCanfora

Source:
 6 years ago '09        #24
space
space
Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner, who some draft experts had projected as a first- or second-round pick, will not work out at this weekend’s NFL Scouting Combine after falling ill with pneumonia, FoxSports.com reported Thursday, citing a source.

Wagner was reportedly working out in Arizona on Monday when he got sick, and was hospitalized there.

Wagner will now conduct private workouts for interested NFL teams, according to the story, which said he would attend the combine long enough to undergo the medical exams given to players.

Source:
 6 years ago '09        #25
space
space
INDIANAPOLIS — Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon said Friday he won’t run the 40-yard dash at this week’s NFL Scouting Combine because of a hamstring injury.

Blackmon previously told NFL Network’s Albert Breer that he planned to “do it all” at the combine, but Friday, he said his hamstring was “a little tender” and he wanted to be ready to run at his pro day in two weeks.

“I was actually planning to run the day before I got here, but I listened to the people that are thinking of the best interests of me and decided not to,” Blackmon said.

When he does eventually run, Blackmon said he expects to impress.

“I’d like to run a 4.2, but I know that’s probably not going to happen,” Blackmon said. “I know I’m not slow. I’ll probably get out there and shock a few people.”

Blackmon caught 122 passes for 1,522 yards and 18 touchdowns last season for the Cowboys. He’s widely expected to be the first receiver taken in April’s draft.

Source:
 6 years ago '09        #26
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Matt Kalil (from left to right) are the cream of the crop in the 2012 draft class.

My second edition of the "Hot 100" doesn't look drastically different from the first version. But now that the NFL Scouting Combine is upon us, there could be some movement among the prospects as the week goes on.

For team personnel, the combine is a way to confirm or re-evaluate the skills and abilities that have been scouted on tape for the past several weeks. For instance, some players could help or hurt their prospects with their performance in the 40, which could be good news considering the track is expected to be a fast one in Indianapolis this week.

With that out of the way, here's my updated list of the top 100 prospects:

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

There's a reason for the hype. Luck very well might be the most NFL-ready player at his position over the past five or six drafts.

2. Matt Kalil, OT, USC

Kalil has quite the NFL bloodline. His father, Frank, played several seasons in the league and his brother, Matt, is currently a standout with the Panthers. The younger Kalil is one of the better USC linemen over the past five or six years.

3. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Griffin has recently become everyone's darling, in part because of Cam Newton's rookie success. The idea that RG3 could be the next Newton has elevated his evaluation process.

4. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

Coples has great pass-rush ability, but he has to learn to play hard every down.

5. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Claiborne is probably the best cover corner in draft. Combine his great coverage ability with his great kick-return ability and his value doubles.

6. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

Richardson played at the same high school as Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, but might have more ability and speed than Smith did at the same point. Football is important to Richardson, but family is more important, which should go over well in interviews.

7. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

A broken foot will prevent Tannehill from working out until late March, but no QB prospect has progressed further since September. He hasn't started many games at QB after beginning his career at Texas A&M as a receiver, but he's believed to be the only signal-caller in college football history to beat Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska in a season, which he accomplished in 2010. He also suffered from 64 drops by his receivers in his senior season.

8. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

Reiff was a multi-sport high school phenom in South Dakota, highlighted by a 130-1 career wrestling record.

9. Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama

A product of Nick Saban's Alabama system, Upshaw is a very talented LB who can play on all three downs.

10. Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

Brockers is a defensive tackle, not a defensive end, but he has the talent and athleticism to be a Jason Pierre-Paul-type player.

11. Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

Ingram is a very good pass rusher who could have entered the draft last season, but helped his draft stock by staying in school.

12. Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College

Kuechly doesn't have outstanding speed, but good recognition helped him lead Boston College in tackles for three seasons.

13. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

Blackmon has better tools than Michael Crabtree when the latter was coming out of Texas Tech. If Blackmon runs well at the combine, he can move up the board.

14. David DeCastro, G, Stanford

As a four-year player at Stanford, DeCastro was very good guard who can also play center.

15. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

Jenkins transferred from Florida, where he had off-field issues. But his excellent cover skills will make him an interesting prospect.

16. Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina

Jeffery wasn't as good in 2011 as he was in 2010. He has added some weight, which is a concern, but he has the potential to be a good player if he sheds some pounds.

17. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

Teams want tall corners and Kirkpatrick fits the bill. He's over 6-foot-1 and has good technique taught to him by Nick Saban's Alabama staff.

18. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Martin has shown good footwork and seems suited to play left tackle in the NFL.

19. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

Floyd is a tall WR who ran into a bit of offseason trouble at Notre Dame. However, his ranking could fluctuate depending on how well he runs.

20a. Devon Still, DT, Penn State

Still has a respectable NFL pedigree as the cousin of former NFL defensive end Art Still and former Steelers LB Levon Kirkland. The younger Still had a very good senior year.

20b. Rueben Randle, WR, LSU

I talked to Randle about the possibility of coming to New York in April for the draft. He chuckled and reminded me I hadn't initially listed him in my Hot 100 and wondered if I had a mistake by asking if he'd like to come. But Randle definitely deserves to be on this list because of his tremendous upside and his size as a vertical threat.

21. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

Worthy has good size and lots of ability, but the knock on him is that he doesn't go all out every play.

22. Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State

Burfict was the most highly recruited player ever to land at ASU. However, his anger management issues often overshadowed his outstanding ability.

23. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina

Brown has better ability than his ranking shows, but is hurt in a draft where LBs aren't as coveted as DLs and OLs.

24. Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

Wright has great ability, especially when it comes to catching long balls, as he did frequently at Baylor. In addition to being a deep threat, Wright can be a weapon across the middle.

25. Nick Perry, DE, USC

Perry is a dual-position guy who has lots of upside. He can play with his hand on ground or could potentially play in space in a 3-4 defense.

26. Kelechi Osemele, OT, Iowa State
27. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
28. Mark Barron, S, Alabama
29. Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia
30. Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
31. Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
32. Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson
33. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
34. Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame
35. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska
36. Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)
37. Orson Charles, TE, Georgia
38. Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama
39. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
40. Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
41. Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall
42. Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
43. David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech
44. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
45. Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest
46. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
47. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
48. Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
49. Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia
50. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
51. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
52. Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma
53. Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State
54. Billy Winn, DT, Boise State
55. Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
56. Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
57. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
58. Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama
59. Ronnell Lewis, DE, Oklahoma
60. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
61. Bruce Irvin, DE, West Virginia
62. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
63. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
64. Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
65. George Iloka, S, Boise State
66. Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
67. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
68. Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut
69. Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State
70. Chris Polk, RB, Washington
71. Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
72. Luke Nix, G, Pittsburgh
73. Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State
74. Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington
75. Joe Adams, WR/KR, Arkansas
76. Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
77. Nick Foles, QB, Arizona
78. Ben Jones, C, Georgia
79. Senio Kelemete, OT, Washington
80. Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
81. Sean Spence, LB, Miami (Fla.)
82. Bobby Wagner, LB, Utah State
83. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State
84. Keenan Robinson, LB, Texas
85. James Brown, G, Troy
86. Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
87. A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois
88. Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech
89. Travis Lewis, LB, Oklahoma
90. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
91. Nigel Bradham, LB, Florida State
92. Brandon Washington, G, Miami (Fla.)
93. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State
94. DeQuan Menzie, CB, Alabama
95. Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas
96. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
97. Ryan Steed, CB, Furman
98. Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin
99. Eric Page, WR/KR, Toledo
100. Josh LeRibeus, G, Southern Methodist

Source:
 6 years ago '04        #27
chctynig2804 2 heat pts
space
space
$18,671 | Props total: 3259 3259
 Trill Clinton said:
I'll just say this...Whoever takes Justin Blackmon in the top 10 deserves to be fired....

got class/work thursday so i'll miss it,but Friday +Weekend a n*gga gonna be gettin' his ghetto Mayock on.
he's a top 10 prospect in this class tho...he's not a cant miss guy like Fitz or Calvin thats for sure but he has the tools to be a #1 though
 6 years ago '07        #28
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,785 | Props total: 14593 14593
 killadre said:
Really hate when qbs decides not to throw for non injury related reasons.
Its better off they wait until Pro Days.

chctynig2804 said:
he's a top 10 prospect in this class tho...he's not a cant miss guy like Fitz or Calvin thats for sure but he has the tools to be a #1 though
Yea, guys want to talk about his route running, its not that great. It for sure wasn't better than Dez's. Dez had the whole playbook opened up for him when he played there. Its like the only thing JB ran were slants and fades.

Last edited by TH35; 02-24-2012 at 05:20 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #29
chctynig2804 2 heat pts
space
space
 TH35 said:
Its better off they wait until Pro Days.

Yea, guys want to talk about his route running, its not that great. It for sure wasn't better than Dez's. Dez had the whole playbook opened up for him when he played there. Its like the only thing JB ran were slants and fades.
Yea I think he will be a solid #1 but not an elite caliber wr...i dont think his ceiling is that high, but thats just me...beneficial for him though that he is running at his pro day which are known to be favorable with 40 times...if he runs over 4.5 his stock could take a hit
 6 years ago '09        #30
space
space
 chctynig2804 said:
Yea I think he will be a solid #1 but not an elite caliber wr...i dont think his ceiling is that high, but thats just me...beneficial for him though that he is running at his pro day which are known to be favorable with 40 times...if he runs over 4.5 his stock could take a hit
With that hamstring injury, his 40 time could be a jeopardy, but I still think he can be a nice receiver at the next level, if push comes to shove, Floyd's stock could rise (if you take away the off the field issues) he had a terrible QB and was still destroying DBs out there. I still think Jeffery is going to be a steal if he gets drafted low. Despite his weight gain, dude is a nightmore match up with his size and gold in the red zone.
 6 years ago '04        #31
HotBYoungTurk 13 heat pts13
space
space
$11,720 | Props total: 2018 2018
I want the Browns to get Michael Floyd.. man.. that would be nice.
 6 years ago '04        #32
chctynig2804 2 heat pts
space
space
 ReggieA said:
With that hamstring injury, his 40 time could be a jeopardy, but I still think he can be a nice receiver at the next level, if push comes to shove, Floyd's stock could rise (if you take away the off the field issues) he had a terrible QB and was still destroying DBs out there. I still think Jeffery is going to be a steal if he gets drafted low. Despite his weight gain, dude is a nightmore match up with his size and gold in the red zone.
Jeffrey weighed in at only 216 at the combine...if he runs well he may leapfrog floyd and wright as the clear-cut #2 receiver
 6 years ago '04        #33
biscuit 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,256 | Props total: 3845 3845
 killadre said:
Great thread. I honestly don't watch college football on a regular bases but I'm a huge fan of the NFL combine. I've been watching every since they've been airing on the NFL network. They do a great job bringing me up to speed on these incoming guys..

Any bets on what Rich Eisen 40 time this yr???
Eisens 40 =

Any bets that anyone can beat Stephen Paea's 49 reps?

Thanks for the reminder errbody. Just gave me a reason to turn on NFL Network.
 6 years ago '09        #34
space
space
 biscuit said:
Eisens 40 =

Any bets that anyone can beat Stephen Paea's 49 reps?

Thanks for the reminder errbody. Just gave me a reason to turn on NFL Network.
49 reps may stand for another 5 years I want to see Lamar Miller's workouts, a lot of mocks got him going to the Bengals late in the 1st around.
 6 years ago '04        #35
biscuit 66 heat pts66
space
space
 chctynig2804 said:
Jeffrey weighed in at only 216 at the combine...if he runs well he may leapfrog floyd and wright as the clear-cut #2 receiver
From the tape I watched on Jeffrey and Floyd, I thought Jeffrey was the clear cut better receiver but a lot of people disagree. Jeffrey used his body better in my opinion and out fought a lot of dbacks for the ball.

This weight loss shows good dedication on his part. I'm sure if he nails the 40 NFL scouts will love it.
 6 years ago '04        #36
biscuit 66 heat pts66
space
space
 ReggieA said:

[pic - click to view]

Alshon Jeffery's 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine will be a pivotal factor in his eventual draft slot.

Every player in Indianapolis is looking to make an impression, but a few truly must take care of business to either maintain their lofty status or stop the bleeding of their falling stock due to an underwhelming 2011 campaign.

It's no surprise that the lion's share of players listed here are underclassmen. Many of the top seniors got a chance to shine at the East-West Shrine Game or Senior Bowl, while only a couple of young players showed their wares at the contest put on by the NFL Players a.ssociation in January.

Without further ado, let's take a look at the players in the crosshairs at the NFL Scouting Combine (in alphabetical order):

Ron Brooks, CB, LSU: Playing in the shadow of Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu (aka "The Honey Badger") during his time in Baton Rouge, Brooks' talent went mostly unnoticed. Measuring in well and displaying his athleticism to everyone else around the country could greatly increase his notoriety.

Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M: Scouts love Fuller's size and his lineage as the son of the former 49ers safety of the same name, but he needs to catch nearly every pass in drills (something he couldn't do during the season or at the Senior Bowl) and run faster than expected to even get consideration as a top-100 prospect.

Terrance Ganaway, RB, Baylor: Looking at the 5-foot-11 1/2, 241-pound Ganaway, one would expect him to record slow times during his time on the Lucas Oil Stadium turf. While his 40-yard dash time may be average, he could surprise some people by turning in an explosive 10-yard split and putting up quick times for his size in the agility tests.

Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina: There's no questioning his size, strength and ability to go up and grab the ball (sometimes with one hand) over the top of smaller defenders. But no single player at the combine has a more important 40-yard dash. Keeping his time in the mid-4.5's should also keep him in the first-round conversation.

Case Keenum, QB, Houston: The NCAA's all-time leading passer chose not to participate in any All-Star games, so his measurements and the arm strength and footwork he shows during his combine throwing session (even without an oncoming rush) will be closely examined.

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama: Much like his former teammate, receiver Julio Jones, Alabama's top corner comes to Indy with scouts expecting mediocre straight-line speed and agility because of his size. He won't likely run a 4.39 like Jones, but anything in the mid 4.4's and strong performances in the other events will open some eyes.

Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College: One of the most productive tacklers in NCAA history (coming up just short of the NCAA records for single-season and career stops) looks to disprove the sentiment that he lacks the athleticism to be a top-20 pick.

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State: Not only will scouts be interested in how he throws the ball, but also whether his 6-8 frame will allow him to have the foot quickness to elude NFL defenders.

Donte Paige-Moss, DE, North Carolina: Although he managed just four tackles for loss and two sacks in 2011 after accumulating 13.5 and seven the previous season, this junior could still be a relatively high pick if he showcases the size/speed combination most believe he possesses.

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis: At 6-5, 350 pounds, Poe has the potential to be a force at the next level. If he excels during his workout in Indy, teams will view him as that late first-round pick from outside the BCS conferences (see: 2011 Jets pick Muhammad Wilkerson) and not a second-round "project" (like 2010 Giants second-rounder Linval Joseph -- though Joseph looks to be turning out just fine for the Super Bowl champs).

Rueben Randle, WR, LSU: The Tigers' lack of a passing game limited Randle's opportunities, so now it's up to him to show scouts he can run and catch as quickly and fluidly as receivers taking advantage of more prolific attacks.

Donald Stephenson, OT, Oklahoma: Injuries and academic issues limited Stephenson's playing time with the Sooners, but don't be surprised if he turns in one of the better overall performances in terms of speed and agility among the tackles in this class.

Follow Chad Reuter on Twitter @ChadReuter

Source:
Good post

I think Jeffrey pulls it off. I'd love to see him in a Bears uniform next season. The way the Bears are big on personality (Sam Hurd's fiasco excluded) they may overlook Floyd who did have some run ins with the law.

Bart Scott voice, "Can't wait!"
 6 years ago '05        #37
FalconBuddha 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,617 | Props total: 1689 1689
Ive never understood peoples love of Michael Floyd as new NFL WR. I dont think he will never be more than an average WR and wouldnt take him in the first 2 rounds
 6 years ago '04        #38
HotBYoungTurk 13 heat pts13
space
space
$11,720 | Props total: 2018 2018
 biscuit said:
From the tape I watched on Jeffrey and Floyd, I thought Jeffrey was the clear cut better receiver but a lot of people disagree. Jeffrey used his body better in my opinion and out fought a lot of dbacks for the ball.

This weight loss shows good dedication on his part. I'm sure if he nails the 40 NFL scouts will love it.
Jeffrey has to f!ght more for the ball because he cannot get good separation.. thats why there is so much debate on whether he will succeed in the league or not.

Dude can catch, is big, and has potential to dominate.. but if he's slow as dirt.. just about every safety in the league can get to him to add extra coverage in a heartbeat.
 6 years ago '09        #39
space
space
Interior Lineman are running their 40's right now.
 6 years ago '09        #40
space
space
2012 NFL Combine: Bench Press Recap - Offensive Linemen

As a general rule, offensive tackles are at a disadvantage in the bench press compared to guards and centers. The reason is arm length. The longer a person's arms are, the harder the bench press is because they have to push the weight further to reach full extension. Tackles are taller and have longer arms than interior linemen. That's why typically guards and centers perform better in the bench press.

Michigan center David Molk (6-1, 298) led the way for the offensive linemen with 41 reps. He wanted to break the combine record, but came up short. Still, it was an impressive total for him.

Ohio State tackle Mike Adams (6-7, 323) had a lower than expected bench press total with only 19 reps. Adams does have longer arms (34), but that low total is a red flag. At Ohio State, Adams was a tough run blocker, and his bench press total could cause some teams to go back and re-evaluate his functional strength.

Baylor guard/center Philip Blake had a disappointing total with only 22 reps on the bench press. Blake (6-2, 311) did not carry his weight well at the Senior Bowl weigh-in, and he is going to need some work in an NFL strength and conditioning program.

Stanford standout guard David DeCastro (6-4, 316) had the second-highest total with 34 reps. DeCastro does have shorter arms to help him, but his game tape is all the proof needed to show that he is a powerful blocker. His impressive bench press total serves as confirmation.

One of the most impressive bench press totals belonged to Georgia guard/tackle Cordy Glenn (6-5, 345). Despite Glenn's long arms (35 3/4), he put up 31 reps. He is a powerful blocker with the ability to translate that strength to the field.

The consensus top rated offensive lineman, USC left tackle Matt Kalil (6-foot-6, 306) had a respectable total with 30 reps.

The top-rated center in the 2012 NFL Draft, Wisconsin's Peter Konz had a one of the most disappointing bench press totals. He managed only 18 reps, and that was very surprising considering he is a powerful interior lineman. This is a red flag on Konz's first-round grade, but he has a lot of good tape to offset the Combine bench press.

Ole Miss offensive tackle Bobby Massie (6-6, 316) is a powerful lineman, but his bench press total was a meager 22 reps. Massie has long arms, but heading into the combine, the expectations were that he would be competitive with other powerful right tackles.

Stanford's Jonathan Martin did not bench because of food poisoning.

Iowa State guard/tackle Kelechi Osemele (6-6, 333) has the longest arms of any offensive linemen at the Combine with 35 7/8. With that in mind, his bench press total of 32 reps is extremely impressive. Osemele was a good run blocker in college, so when you combine his power to go along with his length, it is easy to see that some teams will project him to right tackle.

Boise State offense tackle Nate Potter (6-6, 303) had a low bench press total with 22, but that is not surprising. Potter lacked power in his game in college with his speciality being mirroring pass rushers. His bench press total serves as a confirmation to NFL teams that he needs to add power for the next level.

Another offensive tackle who had a disappointing total was Iowa's Riley Reiff. He totaled 23 reps on the bench press. Reiff is a better pass protector than run blocker, but whoever drafts him will probably want to work on his strength.

Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler pushed up 32 reps of 225 pounds. Zeitler is a powerful run blocker, so his strength in the bench press is not surprising. After a mixed outing at the Senior Bowl, he needed a good showing to get his combine started. He has a lot of good tape that shows his power.

2012 NFL Combine: Bench Press Recap - Tight Ends

Georgia tight end Orson Charles (6-2, 251) gained 10 pounds from his listed weight in college, and apparently that weight was all muscle. Charles destroyed all the other tight ends with 35 reps on the bench press. It was a very impressive total as he outproduced some of the top power run-blocking offensive linemen at the Combine. Charles did better than Stanford's David DeCastro, Georgia's Cordy Glenn, Iowa State's Kelechi Osemele, and Wisconsin's Kevin Zeitler and Peter Konz. If Charles runs well in the 40 and the shuttle drills, he will be one of the stars of the Combine.

Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen (6-3, 255) is thickly built. He tied for the second-highest total on the bench press with 27. It was a good total for Allen, who is a well-rounded tight end that combines blocking ability with dangerous receiving skills.

Stanford tight end Coby Fleener (6-6, 247) won't run at the Combine because of an ankle injury, but he showed good strength by tying Allen for the second-highest total on the bench press with 27. Fleener has power to go along with a good receiving skill set.

Yesterday I wrote, "Louisiana-Lafayette tight end Ladarius Green (6-6, 238) needs to add some more bulk to his frame." That was proven true when Green had the second-lowest total of any tight end with 16 reps on the bench press. Until Green adds some size and strength, he can probably only be a situational player, and that definitely hurts his draft value.

The title of largest blocking tight end belongs to UCLA's Cory Harkey (6-4, 260), but he had the worst total on the bench press of any tight end with only 13 reps. How Harkey had such a low total compared to players who are much smaller than him is difficult to fathom.

Source:
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
72 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
62 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
45 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
55 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
42 comments
19 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
80 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
22 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
145 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy