Straight from a Car Salesman (tips on buying, etc.) (Q/A)

most viewed right now
 131
BOX Mayweather reveals McGregor's weight "extremely heavy" 5 days out
124 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 110
Video inside Courtney Kemp EXPOSES Irv Gotti As A Salty Hater, 50 Came Up With The I..
48 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 100
Cheating Husband Murders Wife After She Tricks Him Into Having Sex With Transg..
51 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 92
OT 1 year later, Rio Olympic Venues are abandoned and loo..
69 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 2 years ago '16        #101
MarloStanTrill 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,227 | Props total: 1507 1507
 KrayzieCMB said:
I deal with a lot of shady credit in my area and get my time wasted a lot. I also don't have much of a customer base yet. So I am stuck waiting at my desk staring into the lot waiting for ups and there are days where we get literally 0.

We charge a $399 admin fee at our place which is fairly reasonable. My father checked out a dealer when he was in Florida and they charge $999 admin fee.

Also, to all the people that don't want to buy from a dealer because you think it is more expensive. Just remember, we will always give you some sort of warranty with your purchase. If you buy private the buyer won't guarantee anything.
maybe the process should change. people with bad credit know it, and they are not trying to waste your time.

The problem is they think: I have decent job (with stubs), I have saved up for a nice down payment, and even though my credit sucks, I THINK i should qualify for a car- even if it higher interest rates

Maybe the process should change so sav customers time too
 2 years ago '04        #102
nitetrain8601 21 heat pts21
space
avatar space
space
$14,781 | Props total: 3431 3431
 MarloStanTrill said:
maybe the process should change. people with bad credit know it, and they are not trying to waste your time.

The problem is they think: I have decent job (with stubs), I have saved up for a nice down payment, and even though my credit sucks, I THINK i should qualify for a car- even if it higher interest rates

Maybe the process should change so sav customers time too
As someone with bad credit, I get what you're saying, but the dealerships/finance people are simply trying to protect themselves.
 2 years ago '16        #103
MarloStanTrill 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,227 | Props total: 1507 1507
 nitetrain8601 said:
As someone with bad credit, I get what you're saying, but the dealerships/finance people are simply trying to protect themselves.
Nah, im not saying they SHOULDnT check credit- Im saying maybe they should prequalify you before you can even start shopping for cars.

You wanna buy a car- you walk in they immediately run your credit, then TELL you what you can afford- rather than walk in- chat up a salesman, fall in love with a car i cant afford, do 2 hours of haggling and paperwork then go- OH your credit is bad

Gotta be a better way- as it is I refuse to deal with dealerships at all. My last 4 cars ncluding my current have been: craigslist, buys from family, and auction

I refuse to even play the game at a delaership period.
Special Edd gave props
 
 2 years ago '04        #104
nitetrain8601 21 heat pts21
space
avatar space
space
$14,781 | Props total: 3431 3431
 MarloStanTrill said:
Nah, im not saying they SHOULDnT check credit- Im saying maybe they should prequalify you before you can even start shopping for cars.

You wanna buy a car- you walk in they immediately run your credit, then TELL you what you can afford- rather than walk in- chat up a salesman, fall in love with a car i cant afford, do 2 hours of haggling and paperwork then go- OH your credit is bad

Gotta be a better way- as it is I refuse to deal with dealerships at all. My last 4 cars ncluding my current have been: craigslist, buys from family, and auction

I refuse to even play the game at a delaership period.
Well technically you can. Most dealerships now allow you to get approved online. You can also walk into a bank or credit union. Hell I got my approval through capital one and they sent me the check before I even walked into the dealership.
Bwaymike135 gave props
 
 1 year ago '04        #105
mrjam7 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,078 | Props total: 244 244
Would some of the advice here apply if I wanted to get a off road unit like a Polaris rzr or can am Mav
 12 months ago '08        #106
Keith504 42 heat pts42
space
avatar space
space
$3,328 | Props total: 15 15
Bx, I just recently went to a used car dealer triying to get financing on a vehicle and it didn't work out as planned. A little about me: I'm in my early 20's with virtually no credit at all. I have one credit card with a $500 limit and it's completely maxed because i pay just the bare minimum monthly. Anyway, I went to the dealer and tried to get financing on a Honda Cr-V for 15k but I was denied for that and instead they tried to put me in a 2011 Rogue with 92k miles for $10k. However, I was hit with a 22% APR rate which was like $7,000 in interest. After much thought I opted out of it because it just didn't sound logical to close on it. So my question for the Bx fam is would my APR get better if I was to pay this CC off and come with a larger down payment? Or would I still be in the same situation since my credit limit isn't that much to begin with?
 11 months ago '05        #107
danny|M 7 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$36,046 | Props total: 2410 2410
 Keith504 said:
Bx, I just recently went to a used car dealer triying to get financing on a vehicle and it didn't work out as planned. A little about me: I'm in my early 20's with virtually no credit at all. I have one credit card with a $500 limit and it's completely maxed because i pay just the bare minimum monthly. Anyway, I went to the dealer and tried to get financing on a Honda Cr-V for 15k but I was denied for that and instead they tried to put me in a 2011 Rogue with 92k miles for $10k. However, I was hit with a 22% APR rate which was like $7,000 in interest. After much thought I opted out of it because it just didn't sound logical to close on it. So my question for the Bx fam is would my APR get better if I was to pay this CC off and come with a larger down payment? Or would I still be in the same situation since my credit limit isn't that much to begin with?
Is your credit card your only line of credit (open or closed)? If it is, then your credit score is unlikely to improve much even if you pay it off. Also, your credit score will take a while to make any significant improvements with just one credit line even if you keep it paid off every month. It is a good idea to pay it off, though. Most people I've heard from say that you shouldn't have any more than ~30% of your total credit used at any one time. Now that's not talking about using more than that and then paying it off before the interest kicks in because that's fine. What hurts you is keeping a balance month after month. That's where those interest charges come in. I don't know your financial situation, but if you can pay off your credit card before your due date each month then that's the best route to take. If you can't, pay as much as you can before your due date.

To answer your question, though, if you pay off your card and put down more for the down payment then, yes, the rate you get should be better, but don't expect a huge improvement. The more money you put down, though, the better your deal will be in the end. It also depends on what credit agency the dealership uses to check your credit worthiness. All 3 can show 3 different scores so I would check what one they use and then go get your score. You can get a free full credit check once per year to monitor any serious issues.

This is backed by the FTC. Check this link out for more information and if you want to get your score:

Although your credit limit does play a part in your credit score, that isn't the only factor, but in order to get a credit line increase you normally need to show whatever institution you're getting your card from that you deserve the increase (pay off your debt on time and in full, don't have too many credit inquiries, keep your credit lines open even if you don't use them because the longer they are open the more they will impact your score).

Now, I'm no expert, but these are just things I've picked up dealing with credit cards, school loans, car loans, and so on. Hopefully that was some sort of help and good luck with getting a vehicle. I just went through that a couple of years ago for my first one so I understand how it is.
O Nasty and 1 others gave props
 
 7 months ago '12        #108
SBiggady 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$3,808 | Props total: 1053 1053
Great read...

I just started sellin Hyundai's and its working better than anything Ive ever done. I wanna make it work and climb this ladder one step at a time
 7 months ago '12        #109
Bravo Golf 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$4,316 | Props total: 2530 2530
 MarloStanTrill said:
Nah, im not saying they SHOULDnT check credit- Im saying maybe they should prequalify you before you can even start shopping for cars.

You wanna buy a car- you walk in they immediately run your credit, then TELL you what you can afford- rather than walk in- chat up a salesman, fall in love with a car i cant afford, do 2 hours of haggling and paperwork then go- OH your credit is bad
When I worked in car sales, we would do this if a customer came in looking to test drive a Corvette, for example. To prevent people from test driving one just to say they drove one, those customers got their credit ran first before anything. The sales managers wanted to make sure that they could actually afford the car first instead of wasting the salesmen's time for a simple joyride.


I wish they did that for every car, though. I remember during my first week in car sales, this lady came in wanting a pick up truck. We test drove several options before she found the one she wanted. We sat down at my desk to get the paperwork started. Not only did this chick have bad credit, but she didn't have a job either. Her only income was child support, which was only a couple hundred a month. I wasted an hour with her because I didn't ask those questions beforehand. I learned my lesson that day.


Last edited by Bravo Golf; 01-10-2017 at 01:07 AM..
SBiggady gave props
 
 7 months ago '12        #110
Bravo Golf 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$4,316 | Props total: 2530 2530
 SBiggady said:
Great read...

I just started sellin Hyundai's and its working better than anything Ive ever done. I wanna make it work and climb this ladder one step at a time
Best of luck. You're at a good spot because Hyundais are more popular now than they were 10 years ago when I was doing car sales. Also, you have the internet to your advantage. If you haven't already, get yourself a YouTube channel and start making car demo videos of some of your best-selling models. Try to use social media to attract customers in your local market.

The old sales model for car sales is sitting back and waiting for customers to visit the lot, but you have to be more proactive to be competitive in this field. I didn't have that mindset in me when I did it. I wish I did because car sales can be a very lucrative field. The hours suck, though -- no way around that.
SBiggady gave props
 
 7 months ago '12        #111
SBiggady 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$3,808 | Props total: 1053 1053
 Bravo Golf said:
When I worked in car sales, we would do this if a customer came in looking to test drive a Corvette, for example. To prevent people from test driving one just to say they drove one, those customers got their credit ran first before anything. The sales managers wanted to make sure that they could actually afford the car first instead of wasting the salesmen's time for a simple joyride.


I wish they did that for every car, though. I remember during my first week in car sales, this lady came in wanting a pick up truck. We test drove several options before she found the one she wanted. We sat down at my desk to get the paperwork started. Not only did this chick have bad credit, but she didn't have a job either. Her only income was child support, which was only a couple hundred a month. I wasted an hour with her because I didn't ask those questions beforehand. I learned my lesson that day.
Called Managing Expectations...

Cant have Champagne with Beer Money
 7 months ago '12        #112
SBiggady 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$3,808 | Props total: 1053 1053
 Bravo Golf said:
Best of luck. You're at a good spot because Hyundais are more popular now than they were 10 years ago when I was doing car sales. Also, you have the internet to your advantage. If you haven't already, get yourself a YouTube channel and start making car demo videos of some of your best-selling models. Try to use social media to attract customers in your local market.

The old sales model for car sales is sitting back and waiting for customers to visit the lot, but you have to be more proactive to be competitive in this field. I didn't have that mindset in me when I did it. I wish I did because car sales can be a very lucrative field. The hours suck, though -- no way around that.
Its some things i wanna get comfortable before promoting on my FB page. Im in quite a few groups thats gonna pick my #s up quick. But I wanna go through the trials and tribulations of this learning curb first.
Its good quick money from the deals i been apart of so far tho
 7 months ago '12        #113
Bravo Golf 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$4,316 | Props total: 2530 2530
 SBiggady said:
Its some things i wanna get comfortable before promoting on my FB page. Im in quite a few groups thats gonna pick my #s up quick. But I wanna go through the trials and tribulations of this learning curb first.
Its good quick money from the deals i been apart of so far tho
Good stuff. If you can, try to pick the brain of whomever the senior salesman is. I had this one cat schooling me. He had been at the dealership the longest and was always first in sales each month. He gave me a few good gems, but I didn't have the patience to put them to use. Our dealership got very little traffic, and I got tired of working long hours just to sit around. Social media wasn't really popping yet when I was doing it.

The best advice I got from him was scoping the car the "up" pulls up in. Look for bumper stickers, rental car stickers, anything that can be used to spark a casual conversation. This same advice helped me when I was called back into the military for recruiting duty a couple of years later. That helps break the ice and puts people at ease. As you're having a conversation with them, ask them questions here and there to uncover some of their buying motivations. But don't ask the questions in rapid succession like an interview. Instead, sprinkle a question here and there so that the conversation flows naturally. Even if they don't buy a car that day, if they do decide to come back to look again in the future, they'll remember you and ask for you if another salesman should approach them first.
SBiggady gave props
 
 7 months ago '12        #114
SBiggady 12 heat pts12
space
avatar space
space
$3,808 | Props total: 1053 1053
 Bravo Golf said:
Good stuff. If you can, try to pick the brain of whomever the senior salesman is. I had this one cat schooling me. He had been at the dealership the longest and was always first in sales each month. He gave me a few good gems, but I didn't have the patience to put them to use. Our dealership got very little traffic, and I got tired of working long hours just to sit around. Social media wasn't really popping yet when I was doing it.

The best advice I got from him was scoping the car the "up" pulls up in. Look for bumper stickers, rental car stickers, anything that can be used to spark a casual conversation. This same advice helped me when I was called back into the military for recruiting duty a couple of years later. That helps break the ice and puts people at ease. As you're having a conversation with them, ask them questions here and there to uncover some of their buying motivations. But don't ask the questions in rapid succession like an interview. Instead, sprinkle a question here and there so that the conversation flows naturally. Even if they don't buy a car that day, if they do decide to come back to look again in the future, they'll remember you and ask for you if another salesman should approach them first.
Fa sho

I gravitate to any of our managers for advice. But the one the most been in the business for 30+ years. Gives out advice to folks who wants to listen and coachable. Been gettin me together. Hell I even met Rick Case and his Wife when they came in to check on things.
 7 months ago '12        #115
bpw5009 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$573 | Props total: 130 130
 Bravo Golf said:
When I worked in car sales, we would do this if a customer came in looking to test drive a Corvette, for example. To prevent people from test driving one just to say they drove one, those customers got their credit ran first before anything. The sales managers wanted to make sure that they could actually afford the car first instead of wasting the salesmen's time for a simple joyride.


I wish they did that for every car, though. I remember during my first week in car sales, this lady came in wanting a pick up truck. We test drove several options before she found the one she wanted. We sat down at my desk to get the paperwork started. Not only did this chick have bad credit, but she didn't have a job either. Her only income was child support, which was only a couple hundred a month. I wasted an hour with her because I didn't ask those questions beforehand. I learned my lesson that day.
I'm in the business so I see where you are coming from but when you are selling affordable sedans (Civic Camry Altima etc) trying to get credit before a test drive Just wouldn't work. Most customers would have an issue about filling out a credit app to drive cars like that. Now on a performance model it makes perfect sense because alot of people come in to try to just beat the balls off the car and have no intention of buying the car. I sell Fords, anyone coming in to drive say a Mustang GT I wont even take them on a test drive if they arent atleast in there late 20s. Not worth some kid coming in to drive like a maniac and getting into a accident to risk getting hurt. I remember about a year ago a salesman getting k!lled on a Corvette test drive.
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 44
Aug 19 - How the super-rich family that co-founded Red Bull conceals their wea..
62 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
 44
Image(s) inside You Can Only Pick 1
120 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 38
Image(s) inside Larry Fitzgerald BabyMama (Emmaly Lugo)
58 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 20
Video inside Work twice a year for $40,000 would you?
163 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 19
Image(s) inside Bad bi-ch, cute face and some nice titties
80 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 14
THICK Like A Pot Of GUMBO And Sweet Like Pecan Pie
44 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 11
Damn so 21 Savage really killed Lacoste huh?
200 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 10
Video inside Nypd pours water on bbq
180 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy