100% Free Wi-Fi Calls Over Out-Of-Service Android Phones

most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
165 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Suavementeee Besameee
21 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM         #1
27324 pageviews
69 comments

WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
100% Free Wi-Fi Calls Over Out-Of-Service Android Phones

[pic - click to view]

I did it.

Ok, about a month ago I made a topic about "Reverse Tethering" to use smartphones for cheap or free calls. There were some good answers, but most of them involved paying a fee (albeit a small fee, it was still a fee and hassle)

thankfully I continued my quest and basically found the missing ingredient to get 100% Free Calls of Wi-Fi both sending AND receving.

[pic - click to view]

What You Need

1 Android Phone (This is the phone you will bring back to life using VoIP)

1 Prepaid/Working Phone Line (Doesnt matter how cheap, you can grab like a $10-$20 phone. nokia or whatever, as long as it has a working number, make sure it has like 10 mins JUST TO BE SAFE)

1 Google Voice Account + Number

Sipdroid App for your Android Phone

Google Voice App On Your Android Phone*

*Having your phone synced with Google Voice app wont hurt, I dont know if this is nessicary, but my phone was already synced with GoogleVoice and made this process alot easier.

Edit: Reports vary if you even need a prepaid phone, or an "extra phone" at all, but if you're using this as a main line it's good to get one, or a reliable data plan on your phone. You can use any phone with a working line, you'll need this line for call forwarding so you wont miss calls in case of emergency (because you werent around internet/Wi-Fi/etc) It just has to be an active line, and have a few minutes in case of emergency.

What you do.

Buy prepaid phone, activate. yada yada, if you have any phone with an working/active number, you good, Move to next step

Get Google Voice account and link your working phone line to account. Do this by logging into Google Voice and clicking the cog/wheel at the upper right and click "Voice Settings"

Under the "Phones" tab set up your prepaid phone number to be the Forwarding number. Google will call or txt your working line to confirm and link.

I know you can make calls from your computer for free using Gmail/computer mic, but without doing this you wont be able to make calls over your deadphone over Wi-Fi. I believe you need to do this because when you make an out call, Google has to call a number first then the VOIP takes over

Also, in this menu, click the box over Google Chat, this will allow you to receive calls over your dead phone later.

Protip: If you're using GoogleVoice for the first time, when it prompts you

"I want a New Number" or "I Want To Use My Mobile Number"

Click The "New Number" button if you want a new number from GoogleVoice. When people call or txt the GoogleVoice Number, BOTH phones will ring. A GoogleVoice number is great for privacy reasons. If not, Use the prepaid phone as your mobile number to keep things consistant with your contacts.

In case you are not on Wi-Fi, when people call the GoogleVoice number, your working/active phone will still ring, once you set up call forwarding. This is why the prepaid/active phone line is key if youre using this as a replacement for a main line

[pic - click to view]

Download Sipdroid to your mobile phone using Android Market. Just search the market for sipdroid, click and install.

Install sipdroid (free in market)

Run sipdroid and click the link at the bottom that says new PBX linked to my google voice

Verify your google voice account email is correct and enter your google voice password below (yes, you are giving them your password). Enter your pbxes.org password below that (that's creating a new password, so it can be anything)
HERES A MUCH CLEARER INSTRUCTION SET ON LINKING YOUR PHONE TO SIPDROID

[pic - click to view]

Free VoIP Calling Using Google Voice + Sipdroid - Android Forums

Ok, I basically used the same password for pbxes and GVoice. Since my GVoice and Phone were already synced, when i ran sipdroid on the phone, my email was already in the box i just had to type my password in again. I clicked ok and waiting for about a minute, it ALMOST looked like my phone froze but then it came back.

I went back to GVoice to tinker with the call settings to make sure i could receive calls

Voice Settings > "Calls" Tab

Then when back to the sipdroid app on my phone and placed a call. Again since GVoice is synced with my phone, ALL my GVoice contacts were in sipdroid, NOICE!!!

IT WORKS.

[pic - click to view]

Ok, keep in mind, its NOT perfect, I made a few calls just now and one of my friends said it was laggy on his end. But i guess not enough to ruin the convo. On my end it seemed lag-free all times, its just the voice volume seemed low, ill have to mess with it more to see if its the connection or just my handset.

Also was running um some "downloading programs" in the background of my computer so that could have been it as well.

Ok, I know there's easier and/or more elegant solutions for VoIP but keep in mind I didnt have to pay a dime for any of this. I even got the prepaid phone for free and other solutions like Skype or even GrooveIP cost money.

So try it out and let me kno what you think, you can have sipdriod on your phone and as long as your phone is connected to Wi-Fi, you can make and receive free calls. If you're not on Wi-Fi, you can still have Google Voice hold all your calls* and texts in your inbox so you know what you missed when you get back online.

OR

You can use the Prepaid phone you bought for emergency/must make calls and save your minutes for less important calls and use sipdroid when you get back online

*GMail keeps your Call Log History. You can use GoogleVoice to hold and play ALL your Voicemails

You can view your outbound and inbound phone call history, in addition to voicemails received if you're a Google Voice, user right from Gmail.

To view your call history:

From the Chat list, click Call phone.
Click the clock icon next to the dial pad icon.

You can even connect your phone's dialer to sipdroid but I tried and it was buggy so i just go to the sipdroid app when i want to make a call

EDIT: Change your phone to "North American Dialing" in call settings and you can use your phone's dialer to make calls and it will go straight to sipdroid

I have been contract free since July 2010, and now with this I virtually dont have to use ANY prepaid minutes now.

Make sure to configure the options in sipdroid, Google Voice, and your Android's Call Settings to make and receive calls in the way you prefer.

*Comment if you used this or any type of VoIP before. Or if you have any other solutions or solutions for Mac/Apple users

WorldsStrangest said: image
one more thing. sipdroid works over 3G so if you really bout that life you can use this on any android phone (thats works with sipdroid) to cut your phone plan completely, keep a data plan and never miss a call on your 4G/3G network.........

[pic - click to view]

[MoviesDoS]

Last edited by WorldsStrangest; 02-19-2012 at 11:04 AM..

69 comments for "100% Free Wi-Fi Calls Over Out-Of-Service Android Phones"

6 years ago '11        #2
PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551
or you could just go find a way and make some money so you ain't gotta be a fu*kin bum

02-17-2012, 06:11 PM         #3
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 PTC said:
or you could just go find a way and make some money so you ain't gotta be a fu*kin bum

[pic - click to view]

i found a way to make calls and have a phone bill of $0 and youre hating??

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicee. stay classy BX.
 6 years ago '05        #4
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,061 | Props total: 10743 10743
 PTC said:

6 years ago '11        #5
PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551
 WorldsStrangest said:

[pic - click to view]

you should go down to the homeless shelter and write a how to guide on how to get rent bills of $0.
 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM         #6
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 PTC said:
you should go down to the homeless shelter and write a how to guide on how to get rent bills of $0.
maybe i will. MAYBE. I. WILL.

n*gga please.

WE SHININ BAY-BEE.
 6 years ago '05        #7
Soprano ATL 43 heat pts43
space
space
$9,331 | Props total: 206 206
 WorldsStrangest said:

[pic - click to view]

No you didn't, because unless you only plan to make calls when you have wifi, this is flat out bullsh*t.
 02-18-2012, 03:45 PM         #8
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 utdpridah said:
No you didn't, because unless you only plan to make calls when you have wifi, this is flat out bullsh*t.
which is basically anytime your by a computer. dont you have a router at your home? what about when youre in a wifi cafe or at a buddy's house?

i thought i was a bum.....

people can talk all day, youre paying at least $30 $40 a month on phone. im making free calls all day on wifi and using prepaid minutes when im not. im happier than a pig in sh*t

my prepaid phone got free 3G 2G net from sprint too. maybe ill save that topic for next time

Last edited by WorldsStrangest; 02-18-2012 at 03:48 PM..
 6 years ago '05        #9
Rapjunkie 19 heat pts19
space
space
$3,778 | Props total: 16 16
 WorldsStrangest said:

[pic - click to view]

my man, its 2012. unless you find a way to make CURRENT cell phones operate for free, with all features, you're absolutely wasting the fu*k out of your time.

take your justin long from die hard:live free or die hard methods of communication out of here.
 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM         #10
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rapjunkie said:
my man, its 2012. unless you find a way to make CURRENT cell phones operate for free, with all features, you're absolutely wasting the fu*k out of your time.

take your justin long from die hard:live free or die hard methods of communication out of here.
lolllllllllllllll

you lost shut the fu*k up.

you can buy a "current" android with no contract and use this instead of paying $70 a month.

but you wouldnt know about that would you?

stupid fu*k im using this on an EVO 4G, Droid Incredible, Droid Bionic and 2 Samsungs droids now, bout to call some homies and turn they old phones back on too. that "current" enough for you?

i love the hate im just #winning

Last edited by WorldsStrangest; 02-18-2012 at 04:04 PM..
 02-18-2012, 04:04 PM         #11
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
somebody give me they number so i can call em for free

its not like its your real number its google voice

but you wouldnt know about that

02-18-2012, 04:09 PM         #12
Mom'sGreat  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that's very useful, i wouldn't have to use any daytime minutes. pretty dope.
 02-18-2012, 04:13 PM         #13
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Mom'sGreat said:
that's very useful, i wouldn't have to use any daytime minutes. pretty dope.
exactly

saving minutes bruh.

they dont know bruh. let em burn they money.
 6 years ago '10        #14
Shhon 850 heat pts850
space
space
$19,278 | Props total: 23784 23784
been doing that sh*t since i had my tablet...:mj2:
 6 years ago '10        #15
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,864 | Props total: 13657 13657
peeps mad over sum free sh*t?
 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM         #16
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MONSTALOCC said:
peeps mad over sum free sh*t?
hate makes people do crazy things.

one more thing. sipdroid works over 3G so if you really bout that life you can use this on any android phone (thats works with sipdroid) to cut your phone plan completely, keep a data plan and never miss a call on your 4G/3G network.........

but hey, lets hate on that too.

6 years ago '04        #17
ghengis 9 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,264 | Props total: 38 38
Ill never do it, but thanks for the info.
 6 years ago '05        #18
kkkid 176 heat pts176
space
space
$3,711 | Props total: 739 739
Thanks for sharing the info. That's what the internet is all about.
 6 years ago '04        #19
SpyDa 180 heat pts180
space
space
$12,898 | Props total: 2530 2530
thanks for post....
 02-18-2012, 06:36 PM         #20
TUNES707  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
dope man... very nice... i need email and texting, and calls anywhere for business... but sh*t i might just have a burner at home for just this save me like $40-$50 bucks a month there...

@ all the hate... saving money doesnt make you a bum

a penny saved is a penny earned...

props for the post
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
33 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
286 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
148 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
74 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
65 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
54 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
46 comments
24 hours ago