Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
78 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
132 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
31 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA BIG BALLER BRAND JUST SHUT DOWN NYC TODAY :mjomfg:
31 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '09        #41
WezLFaCe_KiD 57 heat pts57
space
space
$14,826 | Props total: 1038 1038
damn you people ruined a perfectly good dilla thread . lets just pay homage idc what all these other people think of him in the mainstream . just throw one in the air for dilla dog
 6 years ago '11        #42
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
So he the producer version of big pun a n*gga that didn't do sh*t
 6 years ago '05        #43
alkoholyck 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,099 | Props total: 41 41
 Cantankerous said:
Like I said in the other thread, Dilla is outstanding, but isn't goat. You don't get goat status on ability alone, despite the claim of Dilla being the best with samples, versatility, he doesn't have much impact and influence on the game as him. For every category he is alleged to be the best or bar none, there is someone with a heavier influence and impact than him.

Sampling: Kanye, Dre, Rza all have more impact and influence, the sheer amount of producers who are birthed under their influence and impact.
Versatility: Timbo, Pharell, Kanye

Being a GOAT isn't about the abilities you have, its' about what significance and advancement of status you've given to the art you perform.

I respect questlove opinion though, because at least he acknowledges his bias by saying "I love, I like, I think."

One thing that can't be debated, and is the final part of being a GOAT, is impact and influence, and that can't be debated. The average kid coming into Hiphop with aspirations' to be a producer, does not know of Dilla, and even more, the current generation of new producers hardly do which is a damn shame, as they'd benefit a lot from a technical aspect.

To be legendary, or among the greatest in the art of hiphop, is to have a PERMANENT claim in the genre. There is no way you can't mention Dre, Timbo, or Premo when speaking of the significant part of hiphop, their contributions'(impact and influence) to the culture, is far more superior than the abilities they have as artist. Kanye is a great example, if not for such being an arrogant individual, people would have no problem speaking on his GOAT status, but his impact and influence can't be denied which is why he will go down in history.

Dilla doesn't have this, and though the d!ckriders keep his name up there, this is no different from BIG or Big L being considered for goats'. If technical ability alone meant you we're a goat' Canibus and some no name word-nerd rapper would be candidates.
Impact and influence? Pharell acknowledges Dilla as the greatest of all time, yet you think Pharell is more arguable.
 02-11-2012, 04:30 AM         #44
Wonder 9 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 D-Clutch said:
Nice read, Dilla was top 3, maybe the best.. I'd put him in my top 3 with Pete Rock and DJ Premier.
Nice read indeed, Questlove's Dilla tribute on Hot97 yesterday was crazy! Jay Dee is my all time favorite. I can't put in words what his music does to me. It's great to see how much respect and love he gets.

Because of him I have chronic neck pains and will be having them for years to come..

Rest In Peace Jay Dee
 6 years ago '05        #45
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,041 | Props total: 814 814
Jay Dee has no impact or influence? Oh my days...

Some fu*king fools up on this board, swear down.
 6 years ago '04        #46
Monoblock 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,455 | Props total: 1284 1284
Last Donut Of The Night always gets me. It's Dilla's farewell to the world. When that song came on at the end of Donuts I had to catch myself. Simply amazing and heartfelt. The singing is what actually got me.

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '07        #47
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,035 | Props total: 1020 1020
How can people say Dilla had no influence when he pretty much started the Neo Soul sound that we know of today. And he has been imitated by Kanye, Boondock, Pharrell, Questlove, and a bunch of other generic backpack producers.

Last edited by A-L-P; 02-11-2012 at 09:29 AM..
 6 years ago '04        #48
DJ Maximum|M 47 heat pts47
space
space
$43,301 | Props total: 11323 11323
 STAY ASLEEP said:

[pic - click to view]

i mean seriously go song for song man

neptunes are way more versatile than dilla

Im not saying dilla was weak or didnt make a impact on the game because he did

Dilla is not top 5 producers or top 10.

Im not talking hits im talking extensive catalog.

Elite Producers are

Dre
Timbo
The Neptunes
Premier
Swizz (People will argue he doesnt belong here check the catalog)
 6 years ago '05        #49
D-Clutch 4 heat pts
space
space
$6,944 | Props total: 1445 1445
 DJ Maximum said:
i mean seriously go song for song man

neptunes are way more versatile than dilla

Im not saying dilla was weak or didnt make a impact on the game because he did

Dilla is not top 5 producers or top 10.

Im not talking hits im talking extensive catalog.

Elite Producers are

Dre
Timbo
The Neptunes
Premier
Swizz (People will argue he doesnt belong here check the catalog)
Wow.. just wow. Seriously, wow. That's all.
 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM         #50
Graftedgenes 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 A-L-P said:
How can people say Dilla had no influence when he pretty much started the Neo Soul sound that we know of today. And he has been imitated by Kanye, Boondock, Pharrell, Questlove, and a bunch of other generic backpack producers.
Some people don't even know what Neo-Soul is.

I don't fault people for having their own opinions even if their opinion is unpopular or uneducated.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, even Avatars on the Internet, but we all know that some opinions hold more weight than others.

I would never expect a 12 year old Englishmen from London who primarily listens to LiL B to have similar opinions on HipHop compared to a 30 year old New Yorker who is a DJ.

The opinions I respect most when it comes to athletics are from athletes.
The opinions I respect most when it comes to business are from businessmen.

The opinions I respect most when it comes to music are from musicians.

I say that to say your favorite anonymous Internet-blogger might say Dilla has no influence
and then your favorite world-famous producers may say Dilla influenced them....just depends on who's opinion is more credible and holds more weight.
 6 years ago '11        #51
box5 
space
space
space
$2,989 | Props total: 14 14
Knot story,rip to dilla

We all have our favorites when it comes to producers, it's all opinion yell™
 6 years ago '10        #52
LORD PLISSKEN 15 heat pts15
space
space
space
$21,017 | Props total: 8022 8022
n*ggas love to discredit dude for no reason. the n*gga was legend b deal wit it

[video - click to view]

love you jay dee
 02-11-2012, 03:49 PM         #53
soundtrackk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DJ Maximum said:
See I knew this is was gonna turn for the worse I knew WHO HE WAS! I LISTENED TO SLUM VILLAGE!! ALOT OF PEOPLE DIDNT!!!! THATS WHAT IM SAYING!!!

MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WASNT CHECKING FOR DILLA WHEN HE WAS ALIVE YOU KNOW THIS BECAUSE IF THEY WERE HE WOULDVE BEEN REALLY POPULAR THEN AND HE WASNT AND THATS A FACT!!!!!
You mean boxden was not checking for dilla?

since when do you see threads on here about Nottz raw or frank dukes ?
da-mu? ,Noj the Loner ,doc mckinlley ,black milk , chamber 4 ? ill-mind? analogic?

i dont see one thread any where on here about these guys and they are Huge in the underground

if any of them died today it would be crucial to many under ground hip hop heads..who follow the art..

But i guess since this is boxden ..no one was checking for them??

And to the guy that said J dilla did not change my life ..

again you are not some one part of the scene.

J dilla changed the player and viewers perspective on creating.

the musicians were left with a fu*king dissecting project ..you wouldnt know anything about.

This is not about dilla being great because he was some huge top 40 hit producer....it was how he created music the sounds he used the way he manipulated sounds and altered things thats why he is great too many people and its mainly hip hop heads ..Mainly mp producers.

this is deeper then the songs you hear on the radio.

Last edited by soundtrackk; 02-11-2012 at 03:53 PM..
 02-11-2012, 04:26 PM         #54
LeJazzy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Kingpin 313 said:
So he the producer version of big pun a n*gga that didn't do sh*t
 6 years ago '10        #55
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,525 | Props total: 5849 5849
The reason Dilla wasn't really talked about before he died because he didn't really " tag " his tracks. A lot of these other cats have a tag (ie: Just Blaze's " Just Blaaaaaze! ", Jazze Pha's " Jazze Phizzle producshizzle! ") or they'll have someone else say their name (ie: " Good lookin' out Timbo! You a fool for this one! ").

A lot of the other big producers were also artists themselves on the mainstream side of things. Dre, Timbaland, Kanye, etc were all mainstream artists and that definitely helps with recognition. Dilla came into the Tribe situation towards the end of the group, but he didn't get any time on the mic. Slum Village didn't really try to " crossover " until he left the group. His solo and collaborative efforts were released on indie labels like BBE and Stones Throw.

Dude had a lot of joints that people are familiar with but didn't even know that he did because his name wasn't shouted out on the record. Passin' Me By, Find A Way, Got Til It's Gone, The Light, etc. He seemed like he was more into music than recognition.

In any event... he was super talented and I love his work. God bless his soul. Jay Stay Paid!
 6 years ago '08        #56
The Fifth KD 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,475 | Props total: 1267 1267
Of course Ye and Pharrell wouldnt say they're better than Dilla (and they are). No one wants to be that guy who says they're better than a dead man. That and n*ggas are always quick to give credit to those pioneering yet b-list producers/rappers just out of respect for their grind, cuz they were b-list at some point in time.
 6 years ago '04        #57
RIAA 26 heat pts26
space
space
$2,967 | Props total: 1742 1742
I was Jay Dee listener / fan ever since I caught the production credits for The Pharcyde's "LABCAINCALIFORNIA" and Mad Skillz "From Where?!?"

To watch his transformation as a producer was and still is amazing and I miss hearing new sh*t from him.

?uestlove is right, Dilla had a sound and style that is unlike anyone else and will never be duplicated no matter who jacks his drums ... I'm looking at you Kanye!
 6 years ago '10        #58
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,525 | Props total: 5849 5849
 The Fifth KD said:
Of course Ye and Pharrell wouldnt say they're better than Dilla (and they are). No one wants to be that guy who says they're better than a dead man. That and n*ggas are always quick to give credit to those pioneering yet b-list producers/rappers just out of respect for their grind, cuz they were b-list at some point in time.
Pharrell said that Jay Dee was favorite producers years ago on 106 & Park. Free was like " Jermaine Dupri? ", LOL. Pharrell says, " No man, Jay Dee from Detroit.

The reason why a lot of these guys pay homage is because they understand the process. As fans a lot of us are only worried about the finished product. When you get to see the work someone puts in first hand it's a totally different experience.
 6 years ago '09        #59
WezLFaCe_KiD 57 heat pts57
space
space
$14,826 | Props total: 1038 1038
 Ant McQueen said:
The reason Dilla wasn't really talked about before he died because he didn't really " tag " his tracks. A lot of these other cats have a tag (ie: Just Blaze's " Just Blaaaaaze! ", Jazze Pha's " Jazze Phizzle producshizzle! ") or they'll have someone else say their name (ie: " Good lookin' out Timbo! You a fool for this one! ").

A lot of the other big producers were also artists themselves on the mainstream side of things. Dre, Timbaland, Kanye, etc were all mainstream artists and that definitely helps with recognition. Dilla came into the Tribe situation towards the end of the group, but he didn't get any time on the mic. Slum Village didn't really try to " crossover " until he left the group. His solo and collaborative efforts were released on indie labels like BBE and Stones Throw.

Dude had a lot of joints that people are familiar with but didn't even know that he did because his name wasn't shouted out on the record. Passin' Me By, Find A Way, Got Til It's Gone, The Light, etc. He seemed like he was more into music than recognition.

In any event... he was super talented and I love his work. God bless his soul. Jay Stay Paid!
:agreement6:
 6 years ago '04        #60
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,360 | Props total: 6374 6374
 STAY ASLEEP said:
i cant read your broken a.ss english with 79 double negatives.
but it sounds like i could reply to this with my original post.

in other words you can't argue what i said because i'm right. his death did elevate his status
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
87 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
40 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside XXXTentacion gets 7 more charges added to his case and asks fans to sho..
93 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
72 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Fans Find Doo Doo Condoms and Lube While Digging into Zac Efrons Trash!
227 comments
21 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
53 comments
19 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Black In Crew: Chicago Baddie & Potential “No PullOut” Candidate
54 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
68 comments
18 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy