Boxden's 2012 MLB Standings Prediction Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
55 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
306 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Frequent Flier Series: Brazil
2 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM         #1
6684 pageviews
130 comments

Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Boxden's 2012 MLB Standings Prediction Thread

[pic - click to view]

Pitchers and Catchers are about to report, so it's as good a time as any for us to predict how the 2012 season is going to play out in the STANDINGS ONLY.

National League West

1. San Francisco Giants
2. Arizona Diamondbacks
3. Colorado Rockies
4. Los Angeles Dodgers
5. San Diego Padres

I picked the San Francisco Giants to win this Division because they should've won the divison last year. A healthy crew of Diamondbacks held together by the guidance of Kirk Gibson, the Dbacks took advantage of a severely underwhelming National League West and coasted to the postseason. The Diamondbacks late July swing from 4 games out to their September dominance where they finished 8 games ahead can be attributed to their soft schedule going into the postseason. From game 100 to game 162 they only faced one team who would go onto the postseason (Phillies) and they lost that series.

So don't act so surprised when I expect that the improvements the Giants have made along with a healthy 1-4 starting rotation would give them those eight games back from the Diamondbacks. If the Local Rock Cod Taco from Tacolicious could help The Freak get back into form, that may be all the Giants need to make another trip to the postseason this year. Don't forget, Buster Posey is back too, if he can bring the power the Giants were missing last year, it'll be hard for the Diamondbacks to walk all over them like they did last season. I think the Dodgers are still mired in ownership woes which means their roster isn't as tight as it could be. The loss of Hiroki Kuroda won't help them either. Kershaw is still king, but Billingsly and Lilly have to step up this year if they're going to get out of the funk they're in. The Rockies got bit by the injury bug as well and the Padres are just dreadful, but with the Padres drawing top billing in Keith Law's 2012 farm list, they're going to be a team to watch.

National League Central

1. St. Louis Cardinals
2. Cincinatti Reds
3. Milwaukee Brewers
4. Pittsburgh Pirates
5. Chicago Cubs
6. Houston Astros

Wainwright is back. How much is back? We'll find out in camp, but if you add Carpenter and possibly Oswalt into the mix, how do you not give the Cards the edge in this division? Having a rotation that rivals the Phillies and the Giants will give the Cards the edge they need to hold off the Reds, Brews and Pirates. I think the Brewers are going to feel the absence of Prince and Braun for the first 50 games of the season. When Braun is back, who knows if his presence in the lineup will be enough to overcome the Cards rotation. I've put them behind the Reds because I don't know if they'll be able to outpace the Reds like they did last year. I like the addition of Latos for the Reds, but I'm not sure if the rotations can keep the runs down enough for the team to put ticks in the win column. What I do know is the Pirates, Cubs and Astros haven't done a thing to put faith in them going above the bottom half of this division. The top half is anything but sure in my opinion though.

National League East

1. Philadelphia Phillies
2. Miami Marlins
3. Atlanta Braves
4. Washington Nationals
5. New York Mets

Mets lost image Not out of hate obviously, but I'm putting the Mets in the cellar because they're still a work in progress. Same with the Nats. They're taking the long term approach and building their franchise from the ground up. I think they're going to be two formidable squads for bottom dwellers, but I don't see how they top the Braves, Marlins and Phillies.

Braves fans will have my neck for this, but I think the Marlins have done enough with their team to make a way for themselves into the postseason in 2012. They're going to get a boost of confidence from their new park and a swift kick in the pants from their new skipper. A healthy Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle combo, a sane Zambrano and Heath Bell closing for them gives the Marlins a huge upgrade on the mound for 2012. If Hanley can get his head in the game, they're going to have one of the best top to bottom lineups in Major League Baseball. Those two developments are more than enough to put the Marlins above the Braves.

The Braves don't really have an issue with the mound even though they're practically pushing Jair Jurrjens out the door right now. Kimbrel was a beast and their bullpen can be on when it's on. The lineup doesn't do anything for me side by side with the Marlins. the 2-4 spots are hemorrhaging strikeouts and I don't see that changing, Uggla has always struck out more than 120 times in a full season, Freeman could reduce his strikeouts but I still don't see how that lineup bests the Marlins, especially if Lomo and Stanton both improve this year.

American League West

1. Los Angeles Angels
2. Texas Rangers
3. Seattle Mariners
4. Oakland Athletics

I'm uneasy about this. I'm uneasy about this because I think the Angels are a fraud and the Rangers could still the best team in the American League. I think the Angels are a fraud because their bullpen after Walden is built to fail. The big difference is the Angels have taken their ace and have added Pujols. Kendrys is back, Borjos will improve and who knows, Vernon Wells could even see a renaissance himself. The reason why I'm putting the Angels over the Rangers is the fact that they are made a little less fraudulent by their 1-5 rotation being better than the Rangers and the combination of Pujols, Hunter and Morales will be very unmovable if they're all healthy. Doesn't mean the Rangers will be that much worse, but there's a lot of question marks when it comes to pitching, especially Yu Darvish. You can't simply give the Rangers the division after losing CJ Wilson to the Angels. The Rangers won't be terrible by a long shot, but the 10 game chasm that separated the two squads will be erased really quick and it'll be an interesting 62 game stretch from July-September.

American League Central

1. Detroit Tigers
2. Chicago White Sox
3. Cleveland Indians
4. Kansas City Royals
5. Minnesota Twins

The Tigers are running away with this division, there's no 15 game swing residing in the clubhouses in Chicago or Cleveland that could overcome Detroit's rotation, bullpen or lineup. The White Sox have all the potential with DeAza in the lineup. If Adam Dunn can shake it off and get his production up at the plate, the White Sox will have a scary 1-4 in the lineup. Buehrle is gone leaving the rotation uninteresting, but if the White Sox can cultivate runs they might be able to outlast the Indians this season. The Royals look good and are the s3xy pick to jump up and take second in the Central, but I don't think it's going to happen yet. Twins are a good team in the position of a really, really bad team. I'm not sure what it's going to take to get them back to prominence, but the Tigers aren't going anywhere for a long time.

American League East

1. New York Yankees
2. Boston Red Sox
3. Tampa Bay Rays
4. Toronto Blue Jays
5. Baltimore Orioles

I can't talk about this division without being a homer, so i'll keep it brief. I have a hard time with the Sox and Rays just because the Rays are trending better than the Sox, I just think the Sox two biggest disappointments, Lackey and Papelbon are on the shelf and gone respectively. This could pave the way for the Sox to make their way to the Postseason this year. The Rays won't be bad by any means, but I think you give the edge to the Sox. Toronto isn't there yet, Orioles will continue to play spoiler.

Last edited by Dangerously; 02-09-2012 at 03:02 PM..

130 comments for "Boxden's 2012 MLB Standings Prediction Thread"

6 years ago '07        #2
Rob De Niro 120 heat pts120
space
space
$13,488 | Props total: 668 668
fu*k this thread.

Mariners gonna win the AL West and the world series
 6 years ago '07        #3
Chief|m 55 heat pts55
space
space
$22,393 | Props total: 2073 2073
i pick last place for the mets

for the next 5 years

i do think though if everything clicks for them and they stay healthy, that the nationals could surprise
 6 years ago '10        #4
Beach Bum 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,929 | Props total: 56 56
sorry to tell you bro but the braves are taking 1st in the NL East. We were the best team in the league for a while last year and that was without Uggla mashing. Not to mention having our guys back from injuries and Uggla playing like he did the last half of the season last year for a full year on top of a comeback from Heyward. We are gonna run the NL East son.

The Marlins brought in a handful of new players that have never played together, injury prone reyes, a lunitic in Zambrano, and a Coach just as crazy, Hanley is gonna get pissed off playing at third and end up in a Redsox uniform and no one knows when JJ is coming back and how effective he will be.

Phillies have done nothing really to bulster their lineup and eveyone is getting old on top of not having Howard to start the season. No Oswalt in the rotation as well.

ps. Gonzalez doesnt play for the Braves anymore.
 6 years ago '11        #5
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
Praying for that famed Detroit injury bug. If Adam can hit and if Dayan can too we'll be able to score enough to keep up hopefully. Buehrle wasn't the heart and soul of the lineup. He was a horse but Gavin can throw heat when he wants to (wish he was more consistent) as well as John in our rotation. Chris may still be wet behind the ears but I think he'll round out well. Gordon should finally get over the hump too.

Let's go South Side...
 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM         #6
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rob De Niro said:
fu*k this thread.

Mariners gonna win the AL West and the world series
I also predict that your sig will expand to 20 teams by the year's end.
 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM         #7
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UcantCme said:
sorry to tell you bro but the braves are taking 1st in the NL East. We were the best team in the league for a while last year and that was without Uggla mashing. Not to mention having our guys back from injuries and Uggla playing like he did the last half of the season last year for a full year on top of a comeback from Heyward. We are gonna run the NL East son.

The Marlins brought in a handful of new players that have never played together, injury prone reyes, a lunitic in Zambrano, and a Coach just as crazy, Hanley is gonna get pissed off playing at third and end up in a Redsox uniform and no one knows when JJ is coming back and how effective he will be.

Phillies have done nothing really to bulster their lineup and eveyone is getting old on top of not having Howard to start the season. No Oswalt in the rotation as well.

Where did I mention Gonzalez?
 6 years ago '10        #8
Blkboipurp 
space
space
$15,378 | Props total: 9653 9653
Championship
 6 years ago '10        #9
Beach Bum 51 heat pts51
space
space
 Dangerously said:
Where did I mention Gonzalez?
you aint slick...you edited it after i made the comment...nice try tho
 6 years ago '04        #10
ATLDOPEBOI30 73 heat pts73
space
space
$32,490 | Props total: 6069 6069
 UcantCme said:
 6 years ago '08        #11
Illuminati 194 heat pts194
space
space
$38,845 | Props total: 9162 9162
Jays AL East. Is it time?
 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM         #12
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UcantCme said:

The Braves weren't even first in their division at any point of the season, how could they be the best in the league? You were 9 1/2 out of first during the first week of August, how on earth do you come up with the Braves being the best in the league. I even think with the comebacks from Uggla and Heyward, your lineup isn't as good as the Marlins are.

Josh Johnson's been throwing off of a mound since January and he's on track to be at the Marlins' opener. Oops. Reyes is coming off an MVP caliber year and is motivated not to be injured. Hanley, Ozzie, Carlos...who knows really? They all have the bar set really low, but those three work great off of low expectations and will do a great deal better than you expect them to.

Papelbon in the National League is going to be poison. With the Phillies pitching staff, I don't see any reason why they HAVE to prove anything with their lineup other than being healthy. Victorino tore the bases up for a good portion of 2011, Utley needs to step up and Rollins needs to return to form. They're an old, old lineup, but their pitching staff is still the best in the majors.

Braves might prove me wrong, but I don't see it realistically.

Edit: I keep thinking the Gio Gonzalez to Phillies deal got done. My bad.

Last edited by Dangerously; 02-09-2012 at 03:22 PM..
 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM         #13
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UcantCme said:
 ATLDOPEBOI18 said:
Should've quoted me
 6 years ago '08        #14
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,735 | Props total: 11628 11628
 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM         #15
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Illuminati said:
Jays AL East. Is it time?
Not yet
 02-09-2012, 03:29 PM         #16
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Chixf Xscx said:
i pick last place for the mets

for the next 5 years

i do think though if everything clicks for them and they stay healthy, that the nationals could surprise
Mets could do better within five. The Mets have the problems the Blue Jays have, you're not untalented at all, you're just stuck in an unbelievably tough division.

Nats will be the team to watch next year if the Phillies don't get any younger.
 6 years ago '07        #17
theFREAK 3682 heat pts3682
space
space
$53,727 | Props total: 38575 38575
Dat 3rd place
 02-09-2012, 03:32 PM         #18
Dangerously  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Main Event said:
Dbacks theme after the first 100 games.

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #19
GarySanchize24 239 heat pts239
space
space
$55,753 | Props total: 13138 13138
National League West

1. Arizona Diamondbacks
2. San Francisco Giants
3. Colorado Rockies
4. Los Angeles Dodgers
5. San Diego Padres

Diamondbacks are gonna win the west. They added Cahill to an already good starting rotation and their bullpen is still strong. Goldschmidt will be the full-time 1B from the get-go. Giants got too much riding on Buster Posey's frail ankle to make it back IMO. Melky and Pagan aren't gonna replace what they've lost with Beltran and Ross.

National League Central

1. St. Louis Cardinals
2. Cincinatti Reds
3. Milwaukee Brewers
4. Chicago Cubs
5. Pittsburgh Pirates
6. Houston Astros

Brew Crew won't be able to recover from Braun being out 50 games. Plus Aramis ain't no Prince Fielder. Reds added Latos which should help in their chase of the Cards, but I don't see them surpassing St. Louis. Losing Pujols will hurt no doubt, but they added Beltran, have a full year of Furcal and an excellent starting staff that might find a way to sign Oswalt.

National League East

1. Philadelphia Phillies
2. Atlanta Braves
3. Washington Nationals
4. Miami Marlins
5. New York Mets

This division might not be a run away as it was last year. Phillies still have a strong lineup even without the month or so without Ryan Howard (Thome,Mayberry,Wigginton). Halladay, Lee, and Hamels who's in his contract year are all poised to win atleast 17 each. Don't let the collapse of the Braves fool you. They still were a game away from the playoffs in spite of a down year from Heyward, Hanson (was hurt), and the usual yearly injury from Chipper Jones. Braves still got a deep rotation, deep lineup, and a lights out bullpen. My surprise team here are the Nats, they have a deep young rotation and a decent lineup and Bryce Harper who'll win the rookie of the year if he makes the team out of ST. Marlins' moves don't impress me. Josh Johnson will have his annual injury and miss starts. We still don't kno who their park will favor. They overpaid for all of their free agents who are all trending downwards in their careers (Bell,Buerhle,Reyes).

Last edited by GarySanchize24; 02-09-2012 at 03:51 PM..
 6 years ago '10        #20
Beach Bum 51 heat pts51
space
space
 Dangerously said:
The Braves weren't even first in their division at any point of the season, how could they be the best in the league? You were 9 1/2 out of first during the first week of August, how on earth do you come up with the Braves being the best in the league. I even think with the comebacks from Uggla and Heyward, your lineup isn't as good as the Marlins are.

Josh Johnson's been throwing off of a mound since January and he's on track to be at the Marlins' opener. Oops. Reyes is coming off an MVP caliber year and is motivated not to be injured. Hanley, Ozzie, Carlos...who knows really? They all have the bar set really low, but those three work great off of low expectations and will do a great deal better than you expect them to.

Papelbon in the National League is going to be poison. With the Phillies pitching staff, I don't see any reason why they HAVE to prove anything with their lineup other than being healthy. Victorino tore the bases up for a good portion of 2011, Utley needs to step up and Rollins needs to return to form. They're an old, old lineup, but their pitching staff is still the best in the majors.

Braves might prove me wrong, but I don't see it realistically.

Edit: I keep thinking the Gio Gonzalez to Phillies deal got done. My bad.

We were already down at that point so it still looked bad but we were the best in the league for awhile mid season...hell we had the best record in the bigs at one point. go look at the records month by month and you will see what im talking about. and they lost oswalt and replaced him with blanton? not to worried. and their lineup will fall apart...they are still a really good team dont get me wrong but i dont think you can just hand them the title already.

and the marlins are a damn good team on paper, i wont argue that. but alot of those players have never played together and none of them other than Buerle have played for Ozzie's crazy a.ss. They have to many issues to work out that i think will take to long for them to win the east...but they do have a chance i do think that.

Dangerously said:
Should've quoted me
no need...i know what i saw and you pretty much admitted it with this post
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
112 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
117 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
118 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
75 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
78 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
37 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
22 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
169 comments
19 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy