5 things Kingdoms of Amalur does better than Skyrim

most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
71 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
261 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
78 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '11        #1
6061 pageviews
68 comments

Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
5 things Kingdoms of Amalur does better than Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls is the king of the genre - everyone knows that. We gloated about it in our review, posted countless videos of the wonders and oddities we discovered, and even named it as a runner-up for our game of the year. Needless to say, we never expected that 38 Studios’ Kingdoms of Amalur would come anywhere close to providing the massive, overwhelming world that Bethesda put together in Skyrim.
But despite being a smaller game from a smaller studio with smaller goals, there are certain areas in Amalur that shined especially bright, and even some spots where the newcomer bests the grizzled veteran.

1. Skills and Abilities
Skyrim: Each level earns you two things in Skyrim: a stat to buff, and a single skill point to use. This point is extremely valuable. There’s no differentiation between combat, social, or crafting trees, so it’s remarkably easy to screw yourself over. Put too many points into crafting at an early level and you’ll barely know how to use the weapons you make. Split your points between a few social and stealth skills and you’ll be lucky to survive a single encounter with a dragon or giant. Spreading yourself too thinly can lead to having a much less powerful character, and since there’s no way to reset skills, you might need to restart if you mess up. Oops.
Above: The skills and abilities of Amalur are explained in this trailer
Amalur: Amalur has a clear definition between “skills” and “abilities.” At each level, you’ll gain one point to put into a skill, which includes things like crafting, persuasion, and stealth, as well as three points to put into combat abilities. You’re still not able to become a master of everything, but the system promotes trying out different elements of the game without fear of getting trapped. If you do decide that you made a mistake, or don’t like the skills you picked, you can return to a blank slate for a few thousand coins, which lets you experiment even more.

2. Multiclassing
Skyrim: You’re sort of creating your own class in Skyrim, which allows for a good deal of customization – but since skill points are so limited you’re never really able to take full advantage of the different trees in a single playthrough. You might be able to put some points in stealth and some in light armor or archery, but there are only some minor synergies between them. There's no room for experimentation. Also, since there’s no way to get refunded points, multiclassing can end very badly.
Above: Choose wisely, because you can't go back on this one
Amalur: Though the combat skills are much more limited than they are in Skyrim, Amalur’s multiclassing rewarding players for dabbling in the different skill trees. Putting a few points into the Warrior skill tree and some in the Finesse tree will unlock special multiclass perks, and the more points you spend the more powerful these synergies become. Mage/Warrior will turn you into a magical warrior with enchanted blades and the ability to teleport around the battlefield. It works in every direction and rewards you for mixing the classes as you please.

3. Loot
Skyrim: Loot eventually became “the heavy stuff that you’d need to find ten different merchants to buy so that you could buy more potions.” You’d occasionally find better items, but it wasn’t that common, and they were usually only slightly better than what you had, adding one or two more fire damage over your old sword.
Above: We'll admit that one item in particular was really awesome
Amalur: It’s more akin to a traditional loot-fest game, with enemy’s corpses exploding with rewards and chests hidden around every bend. There are still plenty of trashy items to be found, but the good items usually come with a wider variety of stats, making different swords, bows, helmets, and boots feel… different. There are also more classifications of items, including Set Items that will reward you for collecting multiples of the same set.
4. Combat
Skyrim: Combat in The Elder Scrolls is usually clunky, and Skyrim’s is no different. Using a melee weapon is slow and draining, and ranged attacks are sometimes imprecise. The magic system isn’t terrible, but digging through menus to access spells is a UI nightmare. Plus, the best part of any combat situations is using your fus ro dah and knocking people down.
Above: Amalur's combat makes Skyrim's look downright dull
Amalur: The third-person action is fast, and more reminiscent of God of War or Zelda than anything else. Amalur rewards players for mixing up different combat types, and though it might seem run of the mill, it’s still somewhat deeper than expected. The blocking system is timing-based, and puts an emphasis on moving around the battlefield and countering attacks instead of just mashing buttons. It’s more rewarding, more complex, and just more fun, with the ability to chain together different attacks to create long, fast, fluid sequences.
5. User interface
Skyrim: The UI in Skyrim felt like an amalgamation of several ideas that didn’t work all that well together. Leveling up had the player looking to the stars, using the map was a chore, and finding certain items requires you to dig through dozens of inventory screens. It wasn’t uncommon to need to pause the game several times each battle to find the right weapon to use or potion to drink.

Above: UI is boring to look at, so here's a guy k!lling a thing with a sword instead
Amalur: While far from perfect, Amalur’s UI is significantly better than Skyrim’s. Everything works together cohesively, and it all feels like part of the same game. Everything can be found in the same menu, and sorting through the inventory is much easier thanks to collapsible screens that made finding items simple. Even the quickslot feature is nicer, mapping things to a radial wheel instead of a long, encumbering list for faster access.

[pic - click to view]

5 things Kingdoms of Amalur does better than Skyrim | GamesRadar

imageimageimage six days

68 comments for "5 things Kingdoms of Amalur does better than Skyrim"

6 years ago '07        #2
CadillacVyse 944 heat pts944
space
space
$27,675 | Props total: 16961 16961
Things skyrim has on reckoning:

Open world
Realistic Graphics
First Person View

^^
The Call of Duty heads rpg.
 02-01-2012, 07:11 PM         #3
SOCIALITE 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Bring it on...from the demo this looks like top 10 all time potential but Skyrim just might be number 1. I'm not the idiot to put down one game because another may be better. fu*k it just keep giving me better and better. But I don't think this game has the ability to get lost into it like Skyrim, and all other TES titles. And the what you do, gets stronger thing adds to that as well. But again I'll be a faithful player of both.
 6 years ago '11        #4
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209 OP
space
space
space
 CadillacVyse said:

Open world
Realistic Graphics
First Person View

^^
Stopped reading there, you do realize that this has an open world also right?
 6 years ago '05        #5
Stupendamatic 117 heat pts117
space
space
$18,471 | Props total: 3354 3354
looking forward to this
 6 years ago '11        #6
space
space
space
 Stupendamatic said:
looking forward to this
You going to the midnight launch?
 6 years ago '04        #7
grydlok 38 heat pts38
space
space
$8,642 | Props total: 1096 1096
My character seems to glide along in the Demo
 6 years ago '11        #8
space
space
space
 grydlok said:
My character seems to glide along in the Demo
Hasn't happened to me, but yeah, you're gonna encounter some problems with the demo. It's a three month old build that was outsourced to a third party for production. Curt Schilling has said that the problems that were in the demo aren't present in the final version. While for the most part, i believe his word, we'll have to see if it's true.
 6 years ago '11        #9
bd2eazy 38 heat pts38
space
space
$5,143 | Props total: 177 177

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '07        #10
space
space
 Jesszman said:
Stopped reading there, you do realize that this has an open world also right?
Maybe open world ain't the correct technical term...but can you traverse one end of amalur to another without hitting a load screen? That's what I meant.
 6 years ago '11        #11
KRCROOKSNY 108 heat pts108
space
space
$10,213 | Props total: 5374 5374
 CadillacVyse said:

Open world
Realistic Graphics
First Person View

^^
 6 years ago '04        #12
DIGI 116 heat pts116
space
space
$9,243 | Props total: 694 694
cats are really hyped off of this???????????

I hated the dialogue, or lack thereof. The maneuvering was clunky when changing the camera angle even with sensitivities changed. Graphically it was

though it was only a demo, I didnt feel invested or engaged with the character in the slightest.
 6 years ago '11        #13
space
space
space
 CadillacVyse said:
Maybe open world ain't the correct technical term...but can you traverse one end of amalur to another without hitting a load screen? That's what I meant.
Considering the fact that there's an open sea that slices the world in half, most likely not, but other than that, it seems like it. Have you seen how big the world of Amalur is?
 6 years ago '05        #14
I'm The Dan 7 heat pts
space
space
$11,571 | Props total: 148 148
Am I the only person not checking for this game? I watched the demo on Xplay or something and it looks terrible. The animations were bad and the combat looked cheesy. It reminded me of a button masher to be honest.

I'm serious.. my friend could have this game and want to loan it to me, but I would probably tell him no thanks. Zero interest in this game and I liked Skyrim and games like Skyrim.
 6 years ago '11        #15
space
space
space
 I'm The Dan said:
Am I the only person not checking for this game? I watched the demo on Xplay or something and it looks terrible. The animations were bad and the combat looked cheesy. It reminded me of a button masher to be honest.

I'm serious.. my friend could have this game and want to loan it to me, but I would probably tell him no thanks. Zero interest in this game and I liked Skyrim and games like Skyrim.

[video - click to view]

Go rent the game.
 6 years ago '07        #16
space
space
 Jesszman said:
Considering the fact that there's an open sea that slices the world in half, most likely not, but other than that, it seems like it. Have you seen how big the world of Amalur is?
I've seen the maps but its still like 3-4 connected regions than a seamless open world like oblivion, skyrim, fallout, a.ssassins creed brotherhood, gta san andreas, etc.
 6 years ago '10        #17
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,887 | Props total: 21125 21125

[video - click to view]

Yea I'll pass
 6 years ago '05        #18
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,645 | Props total: 13741 13741
Amalur is buns.
 6 years ago '06        #19
TreZ 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$9,208 | Props total: 2058 2058
Jesszman do you really think this game will be better than Skyrim?
 6 years ago '11        #20
space
space
space
 Agentzer0oo0 said:

Yea I'll pass
watch the rest of the demo.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
21 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
279 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy